The Heron Museum District: Multifamily High-Rise At 4343 Woodhead St.

jlt1988

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 1:51 PM, cityliving said:

uINFU1Q.jpg

Zbpk1d7.jpg

This little 8 block neighborhood nestled between (Richmond to W. Alabama, and Dunlavy to Graustark), is getting to be a powerhouse collection of world renowned architects.  I'd like to point out, that from this view in the middle ground once the new St. Augustine is completed, you will find two Renzo Piano's, 3 Phillip Johnson projects, a master planned campus and Catholic chapel, and a non denominational Rothko Chapel, two Lake Flato's, a Johnson Marklee gallery, and a Francois Menil Chapel.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, bobruss said:

This little 8 block neighborhood nestled between (Richmond to W. Alabama, and Dunlavy to Graustark), is getting to be a powerhouse collection of world renowned architects.  I'd like to point out, that from this view in the middle ground once the new St. Augustine is completed, you will find two Renzo Piano's, 3 Phillip Johnson projects, a master planned campus and Catholic chapel, and a non denominational Rothko Chapel, two Lake Flato's, a Johnson Marklee gallery, and a Francois Menil Chapel.

And don't forget the crown jewel!! 12-story Fairmont Museum District, Architect (unkown), Rendering (unknown). Time to build all those hotels we love to talk (argue?) about. Houston's tourism is about to spike!

More seriously, if the University Line BRT is built as currently rendered, the segment of Richmond from 59 to Shepherd will have upgraded transit (theoretically; the current 10/15 headway configuration on the #25 is pretty good - the BRT will need to be at least that good to really be an upgrare), upgraded pedestrian realm, and reduced traffic (in the speeds and volumes sense, not necessarily the congestion sense), and all the street-fronting buildings, we could see Richmond become the city's most "urban" street outside of Downtown by 2030.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KirbyDriveKid said:

That BRT line, the 82 on Westheimer, and hopefully some frequency upgrades to the 41 on West Dallas (my sleeper pick for most our soon-to-be most urban street), could really form the skeleton of a workable Montrose/UK/Midtown/Downtown transit system.

You're right about West Dallas from a built-form perspective, but the street design between Waugh and the Bagby Cycle Track is pretty hostile to people outside of a car. So is Richmond, of course, but there are concrete plans to change that.

As for the quadridistrict circulator transit system, I just don't see it happening. Too much NIMBY and NIML (Not In My Lane) power at key nodes. Besides, I think the 2015 bus network overhaul proved how effective grid-based transit can be; I think we should stick to that approach.

• Like 2

Oh ya, no I fully agree on the bus route change. The linear system is good. I'm just hopeful that the increasing density around these streets will justify increases in frequency on those routes to match (or come closer to matching) the 82. If that was the case, you could have high frequency east-west buses within fairly reasonable walking distance from a good number of residences and businesses. Add in a few higher frequency north-south routes and you have a system that could stitch together those core neighborhoods with the sort of reliable 30-min-or-less transit times I have in my head as necessary to make car-free life feasible.

Also agree about West Dallas. I'm hopefull that after some of the early steps they've taken with bike lanes (and with the destruction of the I-45 ring), the city might make that road a transit and bicycle route. Isn't a ton of car traffic at the moment since it parallels Allen Parkway and Memorial, and even West Gray seems to get more car traffic. Seems a good option for a road to donate a dedicated bus lane to.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KirbyDriveKid said:

(and with the destruction of the I-45 ring),

That's not going to happen. The most they will do is bury 345. That interstate is too important for North-South travel across the city, and the other freeways can barely handle the cars they handle now.

7 minutes ago, Big E said:

That's not going to happen. The most they will do is bury 345. That interstate is too important for North-South travel across the city, and the other freeways can barely handle the cars they handle now.

I think he's talking about the segments west and south of Downtown, which will be discontinued as a part of the NHHIP.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, 004n063 said:

I think he's talking about the segments west and south of Downtown, which will be discontinued as a part of the NHHIP.

I'd rather say "replacement" than destruction, since that's really what's going on. If you want to, you can say they are "moving 45", but destruction implies they are taking 45 down and won't replace it with anything. No part of 45/345 in Texas will be removed because of its importance to cross-state and interstate traffic.