Historic Houston Images

Duce

I searched for the Jack in the Box in my "defunct restaurants" list, it wasn't there because it was rebuilt on the same site at one time. The fried chicken place is now a taqueria, and that other building between the fried chicken restaurant and the liquor store (notice it still has the same facade) was torn down prior to 1978.

• 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, ljchou said:

My house was built in 1930 (East End/Second Ward) and I'm trying to find historic photos of either the home or the close-by neighborhood. Could anyone help direct me where to look?

If I recall, the "1930" date used by HCAD isn't necessarily accurate because of lost/missing records in those days.

On 12/10/2019 at 3:14 PM, ljchou said:

@IronTiger I'm moreso just looking for historic photos of things nearby to have and frame as a memorial to the neighborhood. Old stores along harrisburg/navigation, lady of guadalupe church, parks, etc. Not sure where to look - any suggestions?

Thanks!

This was linked just above your post, but the first place I'd look would be the collections at Houston Metropolitan Research Center that have been digitized and are available online:

https://digital.houstonlibrary.org/hmrcic

Since a huge chunk of their image holdings are not yet digitized, the next step would be to visit the HMRC at the Julia Ideson building downtown, and get reference assistance from the staff who are familiar with the collections and can point you in the right direction once you've laid out the boundaries of what you're looking for. Alternately, they also provide reference services via phone and email, but those options may be less optimal as there's obviously no substitute for looking through the photographs in person. Probably not a bad idea to call/email them first to get an idea of the scope of their holdings related to the specifics of what you're searching for, though.   

http://www2.houstonlibrary.org/hmrc/index.html

• Like 2

21 hours ago, cspwal said:

In case anyone is wondering, that was at the corner of McKinney and Main, which is now a parking garage

the good news is we got the Julia Ideson building as our new library. In the above picture it’s interesting that it seems like downtown more or less ends at McKinney. Not sure if there were any notable buildings south of there at that time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Obnoxityscribbling said:

Here's a sign I found on Google maps and got a picture of the other night. It's at 1712 Telephone Rd in Lawndale/Wayside. I have been looking for information on it and coming up short.

IMG_20191216_041440_1.jpg

Since you have the address, this should be easy to figure out by consulting the Houston City Directories covering the approximate time frame (the sign looks to be from the late 1950s or early-to-mid 1960s). The public library has digitized some of the city directories and made them available online, but they're only up to 1922 currently. They're all available for perusal in the Texas Room at the Julia Ideson Building downtown - you might be able to get an answer quickly if you call or email the HMRC using the contact info I posted a little further up this page. 

1 hour ago, mkultra25 said:

Since you have the address, this should be easy to figure out by consulting the Houston City Directories covering the approximate time frame (the sign looks to be from the late 1950s or early-to-mid 1960s). The public library has digitized some of the city directories and made them available online, but they're only up to 1922 currently. They're all available for perusal in the Texas Room at the Julia Ideson Building downtown - you might be able to get an answer quickly if you call or email the HMRC using the contact info I posted a little further up this page. 

Probably in the 60's. Nothing with that sort of sign was there in the 50's, at least through 1956, the last directory on ancestry.com that had listings by street. The address is more like 1721, though. The animal hospital has been there for a long time, it was in the 1952 directory.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Ross said:

Probably in the 60's. Nothing with that sort of sign was there in the 50's, at least through 1956, the last directory on ancestry.com that had listings by street. The address is more like 1721, though. The animal hospital has been there for a long time, it was in the 1952 directory.

Thanks for all this information. I want to try and draw it as it originally appeared! The Animal hospital has a new, modern sign with Art Deco lettering, if I remember right.

• 5 months later...

Great picture! Especially cool is the difference in crane technology from then to now. No need for 7 guy lines now, just put down some matting, drive the crane in, extend the supports, and be done in a short time. I am frequently amazed when I look at pictures like this, at how skilled our predecessors were in using what they had available. They weren't stupid at all, just very limited in the tools available. I imagine that the engineers back then could teach us a thing or two about using our current tools.

• Like 6

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...