Thank you Muralpainter!  So many different languages heard in The Woodlands...on a regular basis.  Mostly Spanish, but at my office, I hear Japanese in the elevator quite often, and Vietnamese, Arabic, frequently in restaurants.  As much as people would like to paint The Woodlands white, it is diverse; it's diversity is absent a significant African-American population.  Essentially, when people try to say The Woodlands is all white, all that really means is that there is a small percentage of African-Americans represented; thankfully, that is changing.  The less fake blondes we see around here the happier I'll be (no offense fake blondes, I just prefer your natural color...even if it's gray).

I recently had a meal with an Anadarko employee and mentioned the buzz about tower three; there was an awkward moment before they said they heard it was a possibility.  I think I read "surprise" on their face that I knew.  Maybe I'm reading more into it than I should; my inner voice shouted "I KNEW IT!". I relish the moments when a split second of hesitation reveals that someone is holding their tongue, refraining from reaction.    Time will tell.

• Like 4

...second blank face hesitation from non-anadarko employee in development community. something is afoot with anadarko.

I don't think this is as big of a secret as you guys are making it out to be. There was a tidbit in the Chron about how Anadarko has space for another 600,000 sq. ft. tower in the near future. Trying to find the article now.

Here it is!

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2014/04/anadarko-campus-in-the-woodlands-could-grow-again/#13441101=0

Edited by wxman

I don't think this is as big of a secret as you guys are making it out to be. There was a tidbit in the Chron about how Anadarko has space for another 600,000 sq. ft. tower in the near future. Trying to find the article now.

Here it is!

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2014/04/anadarko-campus-in-the-woodlands-could-grow-again/#13441101=0

it's not that it's a secret, it's the timing.  it may not be too far in the future, although the word in anadarko is that they haven't filled up the new building yet.  everyone know's they own the land for future expansion.  a third tower this soon after the second tower is big news.  maybe the third tower is only necessary if certain deals or mergers go through; who knows.  a tower announcement coming sooner rather than later is what the excitement is about, not whether or not a tower will be built in the future.

the tower that is supposed to be a condo on waterway square, next to the westin hotel under construction, may be rental rather than condo.  it sounds as if they are ready to build it but cannot build it while the hotel is under construction.  i was complaining in the elevator at 24 waterway about howard hughes focusing development at hughes landing and taking resources away from the waterway square area; unfortunately for me, a woodlands development company land surveyor was in the elevator.  i learned that my dismay with howard hughes focusing on hughes landing is not about howard hughes at all, but a logistical matter; they simply cannot build fast enough for the demand and building around the waterway square area and the eastern superblock is limited due to traffic concerns, space for setup, and the capacity of available construction resources (i've assumed, perhaps wrongly, that HH altered development plans since they took over).

it sounds as if they are buidling as fast as they can to capture demand, while they can; this could explain the less appealing designs and less focused area development as before.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait to see how The Woodlands skyline eventually shapes up. I think it will impress a lot of people coming in from Dallas on I-45 (Even people from Houston or other places).

The Woodlands is becoming to Houston what Bellevue, Washington is to Seattle.

Edited by citykid09
  • Like 1

The tower crane is up for Three Hughes Landing, a 12 story office building. This will be the fifth office building in the development (One and Two are 8 stories each and the two ExxonMobil buildings are 12 stories each.

..ummm the two 12 story Hughes Landing buildings are already topped out. There are four up; they announced the Embassy Suites recently. ..maybe that's the new crane?

..ummm the two 12 story Hughes Landing buildings are already topped out. There are four up; they announced the Embassy Suites recently. ..maybe that's the new crane?

He is talking about Three Hughes Landing another 12 story office building to go up in Hughes Landing, not the two built for Exxon. This building will front the lake like One & Two Hughes Landing. It's the 5th office building to go up.

http://www.thewoodlands-commercial.com/pdf/TW_ThreeHL_SalesSheet_SinglePages.pdf

Most of Hugh's Landing has been pretty disappointing...The Woodlands in general has been. They are in a wholesale identity crisis and it shows in their architecture. It's way to safe. They don't know if they want to be urban or suburban. Houston or no-Houston.

As for the Anadarko Tower 3 talk. My brother works for them and I remember him talking once about there maybe being another tower on the way.

The Woodlands as a whole though really needs some visionary leadership to steer it in a proper direction, because like the leadership of most cities right now this current generation of leadership just doesn't know what to do or where to go.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's the new design for the condo tower:

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/woodlands/news/article/Growth-brings-new-housing-options-to-The-Woodlands-6020252.php#photo-7395179

1200x900.jpg

In addition, the Howard Hughes Corp., parent of The Woodlands Development Co., is investigating a possible new 20-story high-rise condominium development in the Waterway District, said Paul Layne, executive vice president of master planned communities for The Howard Hughes Corp.
  • Like 4

i like this design better than past renderings...howard hughes has been downgrading design and putting up extremely boring buildings; hopefully, this signals a turn for more tasteful architecture.

you would think that with the jewel that is the woodlands, cutting edge architecture and engineering would be common.  i guess that doesn't happen with a developer in control rather than private entities who want to stand out.

fingers crossed that the rending looks as good as the finished product (and that it actually gets built).  gil staley of the woodlands area economic development partnership recently stated that two fortune 200 companies, both energy related, dropped their bids to relocate to the woodlands.  this may signal a cooling off period.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/01/the-woodlands-loses-bids-for-two-fortune-200.html?page=all 

• 4 weeks later...

We need one of those over Post Oak and Westheimer. And one at Highland Village. Another at Allen Parkway. That would help get pedestrians out at all those locations. How hard is that to figure out????

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Waterway to Welcome New Art Benches

Six new art benches will soon be scattered around The Woodlands Waterway as the second phase of the public art project is completed in March.

The first phase of the project was installed in 2014, when The Woodlands Arts Council solicited submissions of bench designs from artists around the world and picked eight from the dozens of applicants. The aesthetic, yet functional, fixtures selected represent diverse tastes - from the concrete slab bench and large, colorful balls that light up at Waterway Square to the vibrant family of birds near The Woodlands Mall to the complex, wooden structure by the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion.

"We had a really successful initial phase one," said Theresa Terrell, a member of The Woodlands Arts Council. "We've had a lot of positive feedback about the existing benches."

Building on the reception to the first phase, the council launched the second phase of the project last year, receiving 70 applications from artists to design the six benches that will be placed around Town Green Park and along the Waterway. A committee narrowed it down to three-to-five artists for each location and the sponsors who elected to underwrite the cost of each location chose the final design from those selections.

Six new art benches will soon be scattered around The Woodlands Waterway as the second phase of the public art project is completed in March.

The first phase of the project was installed in 2014, when The Woodlands Arts Council solicited submissions of bench designs from artists around the world and picked eight from the dozens of applicants. The aesthetic, yet functional, fixtures selected represent diverse tastes - from the concrete slab bench and large, colorful balls that light up at Waterway Square to the vibrant family of birds near The Woodlands Mall to the complex, wooden structure by the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion.

"We had a really successful initial phase one," said Theresa Terrell, a member of The Woodlands Arts Council. "We've had a lot of positive feedback about the existing benches."

Building on the reception to the first phase, the council launched the second phase of the project last year, receiving 70 applications from artists to design the six benches that will be placed around Town Green Park and along the Waterway. A committee narrowed it down to three-to-five artists for each location and the sponsors who elected to underwrite the cost of each location chose the final design from those selections.

920x920.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to The Woodlands Town Center Developments
  • 1 year later...

https://communityimpact.com/houston/the-woodlands/government/2023/07/20/township-approves-taking-ownership-of-the-woodlands-waterway/

"The operation of the Woodlands Waterway is being transferred from The Woodlands Land Development Co. to The Woodlands Township, and the township has budgeted $400,000 to cover expenses for the rest of the year."

• Like 1