more howard hughes "watered down design"; they have no interest in anything appealing....just cashing in on high demand.  the buildings they've thrown up (pun intended) at hughes landing are ugly.  the hotel is no longer curved like the shape of the waterway and it creates a barrier between the waterway and its lower levels.....disgusting waste of what was a grand idea....utter stupidity. the folks in control of finishing out the woodlands have no desire to build on the last forty years of planning, only to cash in.   blech!!!!  the boats passing by will not see people dining or sitting at a cafe, they will see a wall or windows.

I hadn't noticed the new pedestrian bridge over the waterway before.

By the way, the tower crane for one of the ExxonMobil buildings at Hughes Landing is now up.  Surprisingly, it is not being constructed on the water front.  Rather it is just east of the first Hughes Landing office building.  This makes four cranes currently operating on the northeast corner of Lake Woodlands.  I assume a fifth will be added soon for the second Exxon building.

From The Woodlands Economic Outlook Conference today:

Alex Sutton: Co-President of The Woodlands Development Company

10 Waterway Avenue Coming Soon; 22 Stories (Most of us knew this, but information from another speaker may be a key factor)

Waterway Hotel to break ground soon; hotel brand announcement soon to be announced

Hughes Landing Hotel to have retail on first floor; immediate proximity to Hughes Landing Restaurant Row.

Hughes Landing Restaurant Row angled on an East/West axis so that all restaurants face North or South for better afternoon patio dining. Restaurants to include Escalante's, Whiskey Cake, California Pizza Kitchen, Eddie V's.

Hughes Landing includes a regional entertainment venue connected to the hotel.

HAIFy Observations to Mr. Sutton and the renderings shown:

-Office buildings at Hughes Landing are not mixed-use; no retail on the first floor like Waterway Square

-Office structures and new Waterway Hotel design appear more institutional, less appealing than designs we saw before Howard Hughes took over.

Tim Welbes: President of The Woodlands Development Company

The Woodlands has less than a 1 month's supply of single-family housing for anything under 300k.

2014 Projected demand for new homes in the Houston area: 77,006

2014 Projected delivery of new homes: 28,205 

2013 Multi-family development at equilibrium.

HAIFy comment: The new home construction industry does not have the capacity to build the amount of homes needed.  To make things more difficult, there is a shortage of laborers.  Used homes will continue to increase or maintain their value for 2014.

Gil Staley: CEO of The Woodlands Economic Development Partenership

The Woodlands has 3 Fortune 500 companies

2 Fortune 250 companies have presented proposals to locate here with median annual salaries 100K/125K; The Woodlands is on the "short list"; the moves would represent 1500 jobs and would "fill up 10 Waterway Avenue".

Major (non-retail) employers in The Woodlands represent 27,400 jobs, 32% of those are energy related.

2013 Q4 Office Vacancy Rates for Houston (COSTAR)

Central Business District: 10.5%

Greenspoint: 10.3%

Greenway Plaza: 7.6%

Energy Corridor: 1.6%

The Woodlands 4.4%

Galleria: 10.4%

Sugarland: 10.7%

HAIFy Observation: The gap between skilled labor and available jobs is growing.  There are thousands of jobs in Houston.  All of the energy companies in The Woodlands are growing.  Chevron Phillips Chemical has outgrown their building on Six Pines.  REPSOL is outgrowing the new space just completed for them and are expanding into another unbuilt building at Research Forest Lakeside. Talisman's Woodlands' office is responsible for finding talent for their Eagle Ford shale project(s).  Anyone with a mind for Math/Science fresh out of college or about to graduate should be contacting energy companies in Houston.  Chevron Phillips Chemical is investing over $6 billion in plants at Cedar Bayou and near Lake Jackson; many jobs will earn 60-85K with certain two-year certifications from a junior college.

From The Woodlands Economic Outlook Conference today:

Gil Staley: CEO of The Woodlands Economic Development Partenership

The Woodlands has 3 Fortune 500 companies

2 Fortune 250 companies have presented proposals to locate here with median annual salaries 100K/125K; The Woodlands is on the "short list"; the moves would represent 1500 jobs and would "fill up 10 Waterway Avenue".

Major (non-retail) employers in The Woodlands represent 27,400 jobs, 32% of those are energy related.

2013 Q4 Office Vacancy Rates for Houston (COSTAR)

Central Business District: 10.5%

Greenspoint: 10.3%

Greenway Plaza: 7.6%

Energy Corridor: 1.6%

The Woodlands 4.4%

Galleria: 10.4%

Sugarland: 10.7%

HAIFy Observation: The gap between skilled labor and available jobs is growing.  There are thousands of jobs in Houston.  All of the energy companies in The Woodlands are growing.  Chevron Phillips Chemical has outgrown their building on Six Pines.  REPSOL is outgrowing the new space just completed for them and are expanding into another unbuilt building at Research Forest Lakeside. Talisman's Woodlands' office is responsible for finding talent for their Eagle Ford shale project(s).  Anyone with a mind for Math/Science fresh out of college or about to graduate should be contacting energy companies in Houston.  Chevron Phillips Chemical is investing over $6 billion in plants at Cedar Bayou and near Lake Jackson; many jobs will earn 60-85K with certain two-year certifications from a junior college.

The Woodlands has 3 Fortune 500 companies??? 

1. Anadarko

2.??

3.??

The Woodlands has 3 Fortune 500 companies??? 

1. Anadarko

2.??

3.??

I'm sure he was talking about ExxonMobil and Chevron Phillips Chemical, not based on where headquarters are located.  And before someone says that ExxonMobil is not in The Woodlands, after hearing hearing Bob Davis, Senior Advisor of ExxonMobil Corporation, speak at lunch today, they are here because of The Woodlands and built here to be close to The Woodlands as possible.  He lives in The Woodlands too, by the way.  Davis gave kudos to George Mitchell for changing the industry.

I forgot to add my notes from Ron Corn, Senior VP of Specialties, Aromatics, and Styrenics at Chevron Phillips Chemical.  They are growing rapidly.

Huntsman Corporation?

I wish he would have specified, now.  As an economic development guy he may be prone to exaggeration. Or.....did he say something he shouldn't have?  

Good times.....good times.............

I'm sure he was talking about ExxonMobil and Chevron Phillips Chemical, not based on where headquarters are located.  And before someone says that ExxonMobil is not in The Woodlands, after hearing hearing Bob Davis, Senior Advisor of ExxonMobil Corporation, speak at lunch today, they are here because of The Woodlands and built here to be close to The Woodlands as possible.  He lives in The Woodlands too, by the way.  Davis gave kudos to George Mitchell for changing the industry.

I forgot to add my notes from Ron Corn, Senior VP of Specialties, Aromatics, and Styrenics at Chevron Phillips Chemical.  They are growing rapidly.

Huntsman Corporation?

I wish he would have specified, now.  As an economic development guy he may be prone to exaggeration. Or.....did he say something he shouldn't have?  

Good times.....good times.............

If he was referring to companies with just a presence (and not headquarters) in The Woodlands, he understated reality:

1. Anadarko

2. Exxon Mobil

3. Baker Hughes

4. Huntsman

5. Entergy

and others

I think he plainly misspoke.  Perhaps he was already counting the "2 Fortune 250 companies [that] have presented proposals to locate" in The Woodlands.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/24+Waterway+Ave,+The+Woodlands,+TX+77380/One+Hughes+Landing,+The+Woodlands,+TX+77380/@30.1661551,-95.46874,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x864736bf8516d9e9:0xa6a98c0919cc17e5!2m2!1d-95.4585749!2d30.1607867!1m5!1m1!1s0x864736ce2e6a1433:0x97dcfd50d599cb51!2m2!1d-95.470322!2d30.171505?hl=en

1.2 miles from 24 waterway to one hughes landing.......15-20 minute walk (about the same distance as that between hobby center for the performing arts and minute maid park)

hughes landing is .5 to .8 miles from market street.  it essentially bookends what is becoming downtown woodlands. (about the same distance between minute maid park and market square park)

http://www.elkus-manfredi.com/project/the-woodlands/

i think this is old, but it is the first time i've seen a plan for expansion of the woodlands mall's outdoor space....it extends from i-45 to six pines in between the mall ring road and the existing mall.

Wow, and another big high rise, too! It's about time The Woodlands Mall caught on to what other malls in Dallas and even locally at Memorial City already do and that's put parking garages in. The mall parking in The Woodlands is pitiful and that's being polite.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's some more... http://www.areavibes.com/the+woodlands-tx/demographics/

Whiter than Wonder Bread.

you wouldn't think that hanging out around town center.  around waterway square, i hear japanese and spanish on the elevator every week.  at the mall and market street, i hear different languages everywhere; maybe it's tourists or business travelers.  the woodlands, houston in general, is very international.  i think it's limiting to break it down to skin color.

OK, how about more homogeneous than a half gallon of Borden's?  By income stats, by place of birth, by any measure, The Woodlands is far less diverse than Houston as a whole.  Even the boosterish first chart showed that, albeit to a lesser extent.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/2611-the-deal-sheet/

65503_1408390630_WestinWoodlands_GroundB

Starwood Hotels & Resorts and The Howard Hughes Corp broke ground on the Westin Woodlands at Waterway Square. The 13-story property, which totals 247k SF and includes 302 rooms, will deliver by the end of 2015. Pictured: Howard Hughes' Peter Doyle, Coy McKinney, Eric Rabel, and Mitch Gruberg with JE Dunn's Charlie Holliday, JE Dunn's Jason LeBlanc, Gensler's Jessie Palacios, and Thompson Co's Jerry Basconi

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Found this to be an interesting tidbit. Are they referring to Exxon or a new, upcoming corporation? The new Anadarko tower?

The vision of the late George P. Mitchell, the founder of The Woodlands, has come to fruition. In the last few decades, families and young professionals have flocked to the 28,000 forested acres for a master-planned community that houses high-end retail shops, diverse restaurants and -- soon to come -- massive corporations.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/woodlands/article/The-Woodlands-then-and-now-5751533.php

Btw, does anybody have a subscription to the chronicle? I'd like to read the article on the $1.5 billion dollar study on south Montgomery County...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/neighborhood/woodlands/news/article/Study-1-5-billion-needed-to-ease-congestion-in-5764802.php

Btw, does anybody have a subscription to the chronicle? I'd like to read the article on the $1.5 billion dollar study on south Montgomery County...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/neighborhood/woodlands/news/article/Study-1-5-billion-needed-to-ease-congestion-in-5764802.php

Highlight the title on the webpage, right-click, select "search Google for...", then click on the article in the search results and it will open with the entire article available to read.

Or copy the selection and paste it into Google's search bar then you should be able to read it after you select it from the search results.

Edited by arndthwrld82

Found this to be an interesting tidbit. Are they referring to Exxon or a new, upcoming corporation? The new Anadarko tower?

The vision of the late George P. Mitchell, the founder of The Woodlands, has come to fruition. In the last few decades, families and young professionals have flocked to the 28,000 forested acres for a master-planned community that houses high-end retail shops, diverse restaurants and -- soon to come -- massive corporations.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/woodlands/article/The-Woodlands-then-and-now-5751533.php

Some Woodlands Chamber of Commerce types have hinted about some additional major corporations that are looking at relocating or will be announcing a relocation or some such;  But the hints have been mixed in with misstatements about the number of Fortune 500 companies currently located in The Woodlands, so it's a little hard to take it too seriously. 

But The Woodlands is obviously attractive, so who knows?