Cool video, but it's copyright 2011, and since hasn't the condo tower idea been scrapped?

Although I'm sure there are those who believe a residential high rise right within walking distace of everything would be a great addition and they wouldn't be wrong. For this reason I don't fully believe that idea is dead.

Cool video, but it's copyright 2011, and since hasn't the condo tower idea been scrapped?

Although I'm sure there are those who believe a residential high rise right within walking distace of everything would be a great addition and they wouldn't be wrong. For this reason I don't fully believe that idea is dead.

according to alex sutton, co-president of the woodlands development company, the condo tower is a priority, but hedges on buyer's ability to get condo's financed. http://impactnews.com/articles/woodlands-development-company-plans-large-scale-town-center-projects

Groundbreaking is apparently "imminent" on 3 Waterway Square Place

http://www.globest.com/news/12_291/houston/development/Ground-Breaking-Imminent-on-234000-SF-3-Waterway-Square-Place-318932.html

Also a bit of a tease that more office space & a garage could be coming to an area just west of the McKesson (US Oncology) Building...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

next phase of the millennium apartment complex to break ground in the next 60-90 days. http://impactnews.com/articles/urban-living-in-town-center

waterway cruiser ridership is up. http://www.woodlandsonline.com/newsarchives/archivedetails.cfm?id=47241

................all of this is happening so quickly. is town center gridlock in our future? it's time to "time" the lights and widen grogan's mill and six pines.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

"A 40-story luxury condominium building is also planned for Town Center near The Woodlands Waterway. The high-end units aim to fill the need of a specific segment of the area’s population, such as empty nesters and young professionals.

“Town Center was always planned to be more urban, with higher density residences than the villages in The Woodlands,” said Susan Vreeland-Wendt, spokeswoman for The Woodlands Development Company."

WHAT? The luxury residential at Waterway Square is 20 stories and the floor plate is probably too small for 40 stories. This is the second mention of a 40 story building I've heard, but the first was commercial. Either impactnews misspoke, or something else is afoot.

http://impactnews.com/articles/demand-for-rental-housing-increases/

"A 40-story luxury condominium building is also planned for Town Center near The Woodlands Waterway. The high-end units aim to fill the need of a specific segment of the area’s population, such as empty nesters and young professionals.

“Town Center was always planned to be more urban, with higher density residences than the villages in The Woodlands,” said Susan Vreeland-Wendt, spokeswoman for The Woodlands Development Company."

WHAT? The luxury residential at Waterway Square is 20 stories and the floor plate is probably too small for 40 stories. This is the second mention of a 40 story building I've heard, but the first was commercial. Either impactnews misspoke, or something else is afoot.

http://impactnews.com/articles/demand-for-rental-housing-increases/

I hadn't heard anything about the 40 story commercial building. Do you have any details about it ?

"interfaith" lockmat?

fortune - no details on a 40 story commercial building, just a rumor. the woodlands development company is focusing on hughes landing specifically for now, or so i've heard. nothing major to occur for a year or so on the waterway.....at least to be developed by the woodlands. i do not know if there are properties not owned by the development company that could see some activity.

on another note, the push for a permanent ice rink location, is because the parking lot at six pines and lake robbins is to be developed in the coming years.

i think the woodlands development company is limited as to how much they can develop at one time. the current demand for hotels, rental units, and commercial, may be greater than they can produce.

"interfaith" lockmat?

fortune - no details on a 40 story commercial building, just a rumor. the woodlands development company is focusing on hughes landing specifically for now, or so i've heard. nothing major to occur for a year or so on the waterway.....at least to be developed by the woodlands. i do not know if there are properties not owned by the development company that could see some activity.

on another note, the push for a permanent ice rink location, is because the parking lot at six pines and lake robbins is to be developed in the coming years.

i think the woodlands development company is limited as to how much they can develop at one time. the current demand for hotels, rental units, and commercial, may be greater than they can produce.

I wonder why they didn't focus on finishing Water Way before they started on Hughes Landing.

"interfaith" lockmat?

Yes sir

From the article:

Apartment occupancy rates in The Woodlands market are now at about 93.6 percent, according to Interfaith of The Woodlands, which compiles such data.

oh. now i get it. interfaith was originally responsible for welcoming newcomers to the woodlands, and kept records of the woodlands population. when you are a new resident of the woodlands, an interfaith rep will come knocking on your door. it sounds as if they keep up with more than new homeowners.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

across from research forest lakeside, next door to hughes landing.  cb&i expansion follows their acquisition of the shaw group for $3 billion.

http://impactnews.com/articles/woodlands-township-approves-abatement-for-%2435-million-cb%26i-expansion/

http://washingtontechnology.com/articles/2012/07/30/cbi-acquires-shaw-group.aspx

CB%26I%20Plans%20Expansion%20in%20The%20

• 4 months later...

George Mitchell envisioned a community with as many jobs as it had people.  The "plan" was to create a satellite city that, although dependent on Houston, would reduce commuters, preserve greenspace, and create a new model for city planning.  An ideal scenario would have been to have many "The Woodlands" spread out around Houston.  A recent Census Bureau interactive commuter map posted on the Houston Chronicle website shows that The Woodlands master plan has succeeded in reducing commuters from within the development.  

Place name: The Woodlands CDP
State name: Texas
Total resident population: 92,064
Total workers working in place: 45,102 (more jobs than there are workers)
Total workers living in place: 40,913

Estimated daytime population: 96,253
Daytime population change due to commuting: 4,189
Percent daytime population change due to commuting: 4.6 (that's an increase/NOT just a bedroom community)  Compare it to Pearland, Cinco Ranch, Atascocita (almost 37% commute), League City.

Home town bragging aside, I wonder if "city center/town center concepts will turn the tide of ever expanding city limits?  Sugarland appears to keep a large portion of it's work force at home too.  The Woodlands has been fortunate in that there has been much affordable housing mixed in with the expensive housing (although that may be coming to an end). If city center/town center master plans remain playgrounds for the "have's" only, the "have-not's" will still have to commute in order to work for the have's....and maybe that's a given.

Check out Conroe. Even more impressive stats than the Woodlands. Yet, it never seems to get any credit for it.

Place name: Conroe city
State name: Texas
Total resident population: 53,270
Total workers working in place: 37,248 (Many more jobs than workers)
Total workers living in place: 24,778
Estimated daytime population: 65,740
Daytime population change due to commuting: 12,470
Percent daytime population change due to commuting: 23.4 (This is also an increase)

Conroe is also a city unto itself with a Lake Community, a small airport, fairgrounds, energy sector jobs, a school system shared with The Woodlands, etc.  Conroe's largest employers are the City of Conroe, CISD, and Montgomery County.  Conroe is the County Seat of Montgomery serving The Woodlands.  Conroe contains mostly government jobs, The Woodlands is mostly private sector jobs. Conroe was not built by developers to make a quick buck like the pop up developments around the city.  Conroe has been sustained because of Lake Conroe, The Woodlands, the intersection of 105 and I-45,and an ever growing gut of government offices.  The increase is relevent for The Woodlands because it is not a bedroom community that loses a large portion of its population during the day which was the intent from the inception.

Although I am not at all certain that any of what you wrote matters in the grand scheme of things, kudos to you for coming up with what appears to be a differentiation of Conroe's much better daytime population gain. Of course, I don't understand the slam on Conroe for having "energy sector jobs". Don't you engage in daily mental masturbation over a couple of buildings near the mall that house (or will soon) "energy sector" workers? Also, nearly all of the "Lake Community" is not actually in Conroe, and, oh, the Woodlands also has a "lake community". And, yes, Conroe has government workers, but the Woodlands has a mall, so that's almost the same. And, the Woodlands would be a town unto itself, at least until everyone found out that cities and towns are expensive, and the Woodlands decided it could simply mooch off of Montgomery County for the stuff it didn't want to pay for, like government jobs.

Oh well, let's not quibble. I hope I haven't ruined your chamber of commerce moment.

Oh, BTW, an analysis of traffic and commuting patterns would reveal that the Woodlands does indeed lose a lot of its population during the day. It simply also gets a lot of commuters coming into the town center as well. Check out the flyover every morning. So, there is still a lot of commuting, but it goes both directions. That may be a bit more efficient in some ways (using both sides of the freeway), but it also inhibits the development of mass transit to the area. Win some. Lose some.

Edited by RedScare
  • Like 1

kona grill at 4 waterway has a liquor license app posted; construction ongoing.  ferrarri satellite store charles schwab by hubbell & hudson is coming along rapidly (the ferrari satellite is near fiat).  burgerfi and the cycle shop also on lake robbins, in the waterway parking garage, are taking shape as well.  morton's grill is under construction on the other side of hubbell & hudson.  not much retail space left in the waterway square district.

yet, a fourth source mentioned that another tower is imminent in town center.  no details of course.

i wonder if the shortage of retail space in town center will bring new development?

heard a rumor that that of the boy scouts' five offers for camp strake in conroe, just north of 1488, that two of the offers are from shell and chevron.  minor league baseball has been publicly reported as having made an offer as well.  although shell and chevron have popped up in rumors about a woodlands tower, downtown towers, and i think something was in the paper about shell expanding at a current location, they must be reviewing many options.  a second large energy company just north of the woodlands would make the woodlands town center "bookended" and the center of a growing new city center.

has anyone else heard the same?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

New design for the hotel, finally moving forward.

12488946744_c1124d4d6e_b.jpg

A new luxury hotel will soon break ground in the Woodlands, providing much-needed rooms and meeting space for business travelers visiting the area.  The Howard Hughes  Corp. (NYSE: HHC) and its wholly-owned subsidiary, The Woodlands Development Co., will soon break ground on a 303-room, luxury hotel at Waterway Square overlooking The Woodlands Waterway. The cost of the project was not disclosed.

The hotel, unofficially known as "Waterway Square Hotel," will also include 24,000 square feet of meeting and special event space, a fine dining restaurant and second level pool deck and bar. The Howard Hughes Corp. is in the process of finalizing negotiations with the brand name for the hotel.

The entire project is expected to be completed in mid-2015. The design architect is Elkus Manfredi Architects of Boston. Architect of record is Houston-based Gensler. A contractor has not been named.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2014/02/new-luxury-hotel-coming-to-the-woodlands.html

• Like 1