METRORail North Line

Trae

The main point of this whole discussion is that it doesn't make sense for these bus stops to be here. I honestly think they hurt light rail in a sense. The perpendicular ones are fine since someone can hop off the bus and head to the light rail and vice versa. Why spend all that money if we are just going to have buses riding along a good portion of it.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of those lines won't be there in the next year. 24 Northline is stopping service to downtown, as is the 56 Airline, and 79 Lil York. The 56 & 79 will terminate at NTC. The 24, will go to NTC and service the areas it does now in the northside, it just won't go downtown anymore. The 9 and 78 have to cross town from Sweetwater and Irvington to service Gulfton and W. Alabama so those will likely remain paralleling Main with continued service downtown. The people riding those lines wouldn't need the train where they're going, so it would make complete sense to continue running both trains and buses down Main.

Triton:  As someone already answered, Metro is working on a wholesale re-imagining of the bus system.  They may have wanted to minimize the bus route changes until they get that done.  As also already noted, they immediately eliminated the redundant bus service on more than 60% of the new north line extension.  This was the only bus line that was 100% redundant with rail. The routes that remain on the other less than 40% of the new north line veer off the rail line at one or both ends.  So to eliminate those routes would cause screams of forcing people to ride the rail to boost rail ridership (which they may end up doing and may be good transportation policy, but that doesn't keep people from complaining.)

As long as they remove these bus stops in the future, that's fine. Hopefully they do it sooner rather than later because I'm sure the bus stops will affect the numbers we get from the light rail ridership. Not significantly affect them but still somewhat. 

Thanks for playing.  :P

I'm pretty sure a good portion of the buses servicing Casa De Amigos will continue as well. Sorry Triton, I'd like to tell you that Main will one day be nothing but shimmering rail, but I'm afraid there will be buses sharing the street for years to come.

Some of those lines won't be there in the next year. 24 Northline is stopping service to downtown, as is the 56 Airline, and 79 Lil York. The 56 & 79 will terminate at NTC. The 24, will go to NTC and service the areas it does now in the northside, it just won't go downtown anymore. The 9 and 78 have to cross town from Sweetwater and Irvington to service Gulfton and W. Alabama so those will likely remain paralleling Main with continued service downtown. The people riding those lines wouldn't need the train where they're going, so it would make complete sense to continue running both trains and buses down Main.

Makes sense. Those should be used to increase frequency on other high ridership lines.

I've noticed people trying to park at the Northline Transit Center and then riding the rail. I say trying because there are only four parking spots at this transit center. Is there a reason why the Northline Transit Center has only four parking spots? Did Metro not plan for the possibility that the start/end of the light rail line may have people interested in parking and riding?

Newest vid is up.

Commenting on the comment about the weird track arrangement on the overpass/Burnett Transit Center.  Looks like they added a passing track here, except that it has two platforms served by all three tracks here.  I'm guessing that's for future expansion, though I'm not sure what the plans for that would be.  Until that happens, they can use this to allow one train to pass another stopped at the station.

But if the train is supposed to stop at every station, why would they need a way to pass a stopped train?

Under normal circumstances they wouldn't, but on a rail line having passing capability is a big plus and most railroads will include those at intervals.  Now they can, and do, have crossovers at certain spots which can serve the same purpose so why they chose to do three tracks here is still a good question.  It could be that's just a funding artifact of the original intermodal center that was supposed to be there.  Maybe they had the funding or had the track arrangement approved and didn't want to upset the apple cart by changing things.  Could also be that it was included so they could take another pass at a larger intermodal station at a later date.  I haven't looked at it closely, but there's been some speculation on a new high speed rail station on another thread and maybe some flexability was deliberately left in for such a contigency (or something similar).

Really? I thought UHD still served as that station.. (Where some trains continue north and others head back south). I really hope they are still considering hardy yards as an intermodal station. Txdots recommendation of the post office site doesn't mean much when the Japanese are funding it.. It's just that.. A recommendation. But we shall see. Either site is better than no intermodal station.

a42bbc23-5372-496e-8f17-7004c6b26063_zps

the picture I took last year shows the configuration more clearly.

It's like they anticipate this station for heavy usage.

I figured they could also use it to stage trains during major events.

What's interesting here is that you've got two full boarding platforms, so it's already designed to allow three trains to embark passengers at the same time.  The third track isn't just a passing track.  Not only that, but there is considerable added cost to make the elevated portion here three tracks along with six turnouts, one of them being a wye.  All of that adds expense, so why do it here where you've got to build a larger elevated platform?  If it were just for maintenance or passing purposes, it'd be far cheaper to do it on level ground.  There's something up here.  On a light rail system, when would you normally have more than two trains at a single station at the same time?  The only place I can think of would be a junction between two routes.

Maybe your both right and it was planned to be for an intermodal station, with trains stopping at Burnett station to meet up with commuter or high speed rail, and then some trains turn back south from here, while northbound trains go around the third set of tracks..

I found this from Tory Gattis

The Burnett Station just north of downtown has 3 tracks, enabling trains north and south of it to run at different frequencies (more frequent/faster headways to the south)

http://blog.chron.com/opportunityurbanist/2013/12/previewing-the-new-metro-north-line/

Tory post to HAIF from time to time.  If he sees this, maybe he can expand on it.

BTW ricco...that's a great picture of the station.  First I've seen that captures the whole thing.

Well, It's the infrastructure under the station and along side it that is the most intriguing. The two giant staircases and the two elevator shafts are not just there for some residents... it's clearly for something larger. 

Nope.  UHD never served as that station.  The dividing point between the two levels of service has always been Burnett Station.

ohh. i thought some northbound trains were still turning southbound at UHD, even after the extension opened.

if your right then i stand by my point in other threads that the Hardy Yards is the most logical choice for a high speed rail and/or commuter rail hub, not the post office site (not trying to get this thread off topic, haha).

Not sure if this goes here, but I have ridden the Northline light rail and have noticed that several areas on either side of the line are now vacant lots. Being an optimist for development and living in LA for 20 yrs, I started riding the Orange line across the Valley and noticed that once the exclusive ( has it's own thoroughfare) bus line was up and running more and more small businesses and seedy looking warehouses were torn down, lots stayed vacant for a couple of years, and then slowly but surely, residential towers, apts., and commercial businesses started cropping up along the line. (within 5 years) Do you all think this may become the case for the Fulton area? Give me some hope. I would love to see that entire area revitalize within the next decade. Is it feasible?

First Ward right across the interstate is really taking off right now. I drive down Houston Ave daily and there are townhomes going up left and right. The area has transformed in less than a year. The northside is clearly the next area to go. Townhomes are beginning to pop up in this area, with the latest one on Hogan near the I-45 bridge. Cityside Homes owns a lot of property along the light rail route on Main St and I even contacted them to see if they were building any townhomes or multi-family complexes in general there... they actually told me they were simply looking to sell the property. But we'll see what they actually plan to do with the land they own..

Archived