METRORail North Line

Trae

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to be a Debbie downer about the light rail. But just because you mentioned this station and I wanted to share my observations... I have ridden the light rail everyday this week in the morning, and I have yet to see one person board or exit this station. I hope this is not the future of Houston mass transit...

Northline Transit Center and Quitman seem to have the most activity. But again this is just my observation.

This is the future of Houston mass transit... And I mean this station. Don't mean to start an argument here but everything seemed so.. so... un-Houston actually. This Burnett station alone feels like a true mass transit hub.

L5Td8LX.jpg?1

Going towards the platform

mLAuzwl.jpg?1

Elevators to send me up

kbOaUSM.jpg?1

Elevators viewed from the second floor

KpGYLCY.jpg?1

Walking towards the platform on the second level

ZOxdqlT.jpg?1

North view

FiPwpbz.jpg?1

South view

iQ0olOR.jpg?1

The view from the platform itself

KCieQa5.jpg?1

Art on the platform

w06ygBf.jpg?1

Looking from the middle platform

uByMlUG.jpg?1

But Houston is always going to have the problem of heat and sprawl to deal with when it comes to public transport, by that I mean how is any system going to be able to drop people off close enough to their destinations that walking the rest of the way in 90 to 100 degree heat is not a problem?

There is the tunnel system, you know...

I don't want to be a Debbie downer about the light rail. But just because you mentioned this station and I wanted to share my observations... I have ridden the light rail everyday this week in the morning, and I have yet to see one person board or exit this station. I hope this is not the future of Houston mass transit...

If/when they finish the Hardy Yards redevelopment, expect to see more traffic.

Northline Transit Center and Quitman seem to have the most activity. But again this is just my observation.

That's odd.. My buddy and I were up there taking photos a week or two ago at around 10pm (on a Sunday i believe.. I had previously been under the impression that the trains didn't run that late on Sundays) and both times the train stopped at the station while we were up there, at least 5-10 people got off or on.

And like iron tiger said, once the Hardy Yards site is developed, and the high speed rail line preferably terminates at Hardy Yards, then traffic will be bustling at that station.

Magic Johnson is counting his stacks....When hardy yards and the high speed bullet train to Dallas comes in my son's first daughter will have just been born and I will be 120 years old. I will sit in my hospital bed at Memorial Herman 102 story med center tower and watch as 100s of people climb those stairs. Or

In more like 20 years - hopefully this technology will be outdated. There was a reddit thread saying by 2020 in 6 short years cars will be driving themselves.

Apologies in advance for those I offend. Back to my scotttttchhhhhhh

The bus system clearly needs work, but man do some of the roads need help. I'm pretty sure parts of Richmond haven't been touched since the 1970s, and it shows. Indirectly, the construction of the light rail created nice smooth roads that have been altered for light rail use.

Indirectly, the construction of the light rail created nice smooth roads that have been altered for light rail use.

Not quite. There are some sections of MLK where the light rail was put in and the street hasn't been touched, or else any repairs have been minimal, like new asphalt only on the lane closest to the light rail.

Interesting.. I would of guessed it's because the north line is still getting limited service... Or is it not? I thought they had to turn cars back at UHD because they didn't have the new cars in yet..

I think the north line gets limited service because the expected traffic does not justify more-frequent service.  I don't think it actually has anything to do with the new cars issue.

My family and I took the Red Line from Northline Transit Center/HCC to the Museum district and back this last Saturday. There wasn't a lot of people getting on/off heading south at 10am until Preston station, then it really picked up (passenger wise). On the way back it was beyond standing room only (about 12pm) until about Cavalcade, then it started to slightly thin out until we got back to the Northline Transit Center/HCC. They were only running single cars, but they could have easily had two-cars to accommodate all of the people. Obviously it is too early to tell if this is going to be typical for a Saturday or not.

I think Metro is officially trying to run the trains empty by having their police harass passengers. This morning if you had a coffee mug or cup in your hand you were getting chewed out by the cops.  I know there's a "rule" about no eating or drinking and a law about no alcohol consumption but this is ridiculous. It's cold outside, the trains are cold, people carry warm beverages, deal with it Metro.

Northline Transit Center and Quitman seem to have the most activity. But again this is just my observation

This is a planned Transit Center... it's not being used much now, but once they route more busses here, this will become a hub of activity just like the TMC transit center.  I'm very proud of this station!! 

I think Metro is officially trying to run the trains empty by having their police harass passengers. This morning if you had a coffee mug or cup in your hand you were getting chewed out by the cops.  I know there's a "rule" about no eating or drinking and a law about no alcohol consumption but this is ridiculous. It's cold outside, the trains are cold, people carry warm beverages, deal with it Metro.

1.  I don't know of a metro rail system anywhere that allows food and drink on their trains.

2. It's not that freakin' cold.  Deal with it.

1.  I don't know of a metro rail system anywhere that allows food and drink on their trains.

2. It's not that freakin' cold.  Deal with it.

1. The rule is not eating or drinking on the train. The rule is not that you're not allowed to carry food or drinks on the train. I don't know of ANY metro rail system anywhere that does not allow you to carry food or drinks.

2. I respectfully disagree.

1. The rule is not eating or drinking on the train. The rule is not that you're not allowed to carry food or drinks on the train. I don't know of ANY metro rail system anywhere that does not allow you to carry food or drinks.

The only reasonable way to enforce that rule is to not allow open food and beverages carried onto the train.  Further, the whole point of the rule is to reduce maintenance and cleaning costs caused by dropped food and spilled beverages.  Allowing passengers to carry cups of coffee on to the train but not allowing them to drink the coffee does not serve the purpose of the rule.

The only reasonable way to enforce that rule is to not allow open food and beverages carried onto the train.  Further, the whole point of the rule is to reduce maintenance and cleaning costs caused by dropped food and spilled beverages.  Allowing passengers to carry cups of coffee on to the train but not allowing them to drink the coffee does not serve the purpose of the rule.

You are entitled to that opinion. but that is not the law. the law clearly states consumption, which is to say drinking and eating. The law does not say carrying or transporting, which is the whole point of public transportation...

please see city of Houston ordinance Sec. 28-30.

So, it's illegal to carry your lunch on the train? or a bottle of water in your bag?

Which lines are you referencing? 

#15, which most closely tracked the red line extension was eliminated the day after the rail line opened.

I have no clue what lines they are... I don't take the bus. There are still bus stops at every intersection along the new north line expansion.

^^THIS...

So, it's illegal to carry your lunch on the train? or a bottle of water in your bag?

he never said you couldnt have a boxed lunch, or bottled drink. he said no OPEN food or beverages.. the time when things are able to spill...

a coffee mug on the train is just plain ridiculous. now a thermos.. thats where the lines become blurred. i guess liquid can still spill out of a thermos though (or did i just have a cheap one when i was younger? lol), but at least its "closed". which makes me wonder.. can you have cups with lids on them on the train (so long as you dont drink out of them)? like togo cups?

I have no clue what lines they are... I don't take the bus. There are still bus stops at every intersection along the new north line expansion.

There are not bus stops at every intersection along the new north line expansion for routes running parallel with the rail.   For a good portion of the route, if not all, the only bus stops at intersections are for routes that intersect with (run perpendicular to) the rail line.

On this episode of....

The Bus Stops Don't Exist

/w Bob & John

.....we're going to go along the north line expansion and see just how many bus stops don't exist!!

Grab some popcorn, sit back, and enjoy!!

1!!!

On our first stop from downtown, we see a bus station nestled below the light rail bridge. Quite a permanent station, wouldn't you say, John??

Sure is, Bob!

JZGKv6y.jpg?1

John, that's just ONE station!! There can't be more, can there?

Well yes Bob, there sure are! Let's go to the next one...

3vy6qLS.jpg?1

But that looks temporary.... 

Ok, how about this?

SMbu00L.jpg?1

John, this looks cool and all but how the hell does this affect the light rail station.

I'm glad you asked, Bob! This next photo shows perfectly well how people may just get on the bus after we spent millions of dollars to build this light rail expansion. 

byK93fA.jpg?1

j84TltE.jpg?1

This is all fine and dandy, John.... BUT, you are only showing me photos along Main St!

Ok ok fine, Bob. Here you go... let's go over to Fulton...

0Z0M9sw.jpg?1

Man, another street??

aOStUI8.jpg?1

STOP IT!!! JUST STOP IT, JOHN!!! You've proved your point! 

But Bob I have more photos--- 

No! I've had enough!

And that concludes this episode of....

The Bus Stops Don't Exist

On this episode of....

The Bus Stops Don't Exist

/w Bob & John

.....we're going to go along the north line expansion and see just how many bus stops don't exist!!

Grab some popcorn, sit back, and enjoy!!

1!!!

On our first stop from downtown, we see a bus station nestled below the light rail bridge. Quite a permanent station, wouldn't you say, John??

Sure is, Bob!

John, that's just ONE station!! There can't be more, can there?

Well yes Bob, there sure are! Let's go to the next one...

But that looks temporary.... 

Ok, how about this?

John, this looks cool and all but how the hell does this affect the light rail station.

I'm glad you asked, Bob! This next photo shows perfectly well how people may just get on the bus after we spent millions of dollars to build this light rail expansion. 

This is all fine and dandy, John.... BUT, you are only showing me photos along Main St!

Ok ok fine, Bob. Here you go... let's go over to Fulton...

Man, another street??

STOP IT!!! JUST STOP IT, JOHN!!! You've proved your point! 

But Bob I have more photos--- 

No! I've had enough!

And that concludes this episode of....

The Bus Stops Don't Exist

WOW, that was remarkably dishonest.  To remind you of what you claimed, here is what you said:

"There are still bus stops at every intersection along the new north line expansion."

Your demonstration stopped only about 1/3 of the way up the new north line expansion; mysteriously, just when there are no more bus stops along the route.

Continue your little demonstration project past the Fulton/Irvington intersection and through the other 3 1/2 miles of the new north line extension and then check back into see if you've "proved your point."

As I said, there are not bus stops at every intersection along the new north line extension.  Not even close

Archived