METRORail University Line

ricco67

What we have on this thread is a reflection of how people who are truly interested in this issue feel. I'm afraid that many (most?) Houstonians have other things on their minds and haven't spent much time considering the Metro route expansion.

Those who are directly impacted by the construction of the Richmond path have a lot personally at stake. They are highly motivated and have worked hard to make their views known to those who will ultimately make the decisions. Unless we make the effort to make our voices heard, elected officials may think we agree with the anti-Richmond faction. Apathy is our greatest enemy.

Write those emails today! Tell your friends, and volunteer to help them compose emails. We need numbers to sway this issue in our direction.

Lighten up......I totally agree that the average Houstonian doesn't give a hooh hah about rail to take time to email reps. And if we all don't speak up it'll look like the anti rail people are the majority and that everyone should band together.....I just wanted to quote Spock and post his pic.....gosh :rolleyes:

But serriously send those emails

Mayor Bill White mayor@cityofhouston.net

Jamie Brewster, Executive Director Upper Kirby District jamie@upperkirby.org

Neartown Association ntaprez@hotmail.com

John Culberson, U.S. Congressman http://culberson.house.gov/contactinfo.aspx

Ada Edwards, City Council districtd@cityofhouston.net

Anne Clutterbuck, City Council districtc@cityofhouston.net

Pam Holm, City Council districtg@cityofhouston.net

Template letter courtesy of "dbigtex56" it's short and to the point

Dear Rep. Culberson,

I'm writing to express my strong support for rail on Richmond Avenue for Metro's expansion of light rail.

This route offers clear advantages over the proposed Westpark line, and the long-term benefits far outweigh any short-term inconveniences.

Please join me in supporting the Richmond route for light rail expansion.

The courtesy of a reply expressing your thoughts will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

(Your name - address and phone #)

Let's make this Happen ;)

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lighten up......I totally agree that the average Houstonian doesn't give a hooh hah about rail to take time to email reps.

Sorry if my post came across as a criticism of yours - that was not my intent. And Spock's A-OK with me, too. :D

So, by the logic of the Richmond opponents, is route number 1 (the "North Hardy") required to run only on Hardy Street or the Hardy Toll Road Right-of-way?

Is route number 3 (the "Harrisburg") required to run only on Harrisburg?

Is route number 5 (the "Uptown/West Loop") required to run in the West Loop Right-of-Way?

Is route number 6 (the "Inner Katy") required to run on Katy Road or on the Katy Freeway Right-of-Way?

Exactly. It is hard to take the ballot language literaly when much of the ballot language refers to streets that don't exist: North Hardy; Uptown; Inner Katy. The opponents need to be called on it. The ones I've confronted blow it off by saying something like: "Well! There IS a street called Westpark!"

Pick and choose...go figure.

B)

But serriously send those emails

Mayor Bill White mayor@cityofhouston.net

Jamie Brewster, Executive Director Upper Kirby District jamie@upperkirby.org

Neartown Association ntaprez@hotmail.com

John Culberson, U.S. Congressman http://culberson.house.gov/contactinfo.aspx

Ada Edwards, City Council districtd@cityofhouston.net

Anne Clutterbuck, City Council districtc@cityofhouston.net

Pam Holm, City Council districtg@cityofhouston.net

[snip]

Let's make this Happen ;)

After the so-called town hall meeting at Rice on Wed Apr 12, Congressman Culberson committed to give METRO "more time" before weighing in with "his decision." However, we cannot assume Culberson will allow METRO to complete the conceptual engineering study for the Universities line unless public pressure makes him. Sending your written support now is critical.

For any of you sending letters in support -- either for studying all the options or in support of a particular alignment -- I have three suggestions:

• Do NOT use the Congressman's webform. Send email directly to Nick Swyka, his District Director: nick.swyka@mail.house.gov
  • When you send email to Nick Swyka, copy the Mayor and others on the same message so the Congressman's staff knows that they aren't the only ones reading your message.
  • Copy METRO as well -- so they can build a record of support -- by copying Karen Marshall, METRO Director of Community Outreach: km13@ridemetro.org

Thanks for your interest in transportation planning!

Robin Holzer

Chair, Citizens' Transportation Coalition

http://ctchouston.org

alright, i did my part. emails sent.

i know, i know.........what does a woodlands' resident have to say about the richmond line?

when we spend time in the loop, the areas we frequent the most include downtown, midtown, the museum district/zoo, medical center, reliant park and the menil collection, greenway plaza/lakewood church, the upper kirby district and the galleria. see where this is going?

when bringing visitors into the city, the light rail line is a part of the schedule. the richmond line would increase the opportunities to use light rail, in that it connects to many of the places we would take guests.

Ok, I've sent my emails as well. I'm also forwarding my email to others who are in support of this issue. I recommend we all do the same. We need to make it as easy as possible to express our feelings. Thanks to all who have provided the email addresses and template already.

I agree that there is plenty of wasteful spending in the US. I do not agree that this is one of them. $2.8 Billion for an increased capacity of 30,000 cars on the Katy Freeway sounds wasteful, yet I heard no Libertarian opposition, as well as no vote on the matter.

Wow, fit 30,000 more cars a day for 2.8 billion dollars, plus the effects on the enviroment. Light rail on main street, 35,000 paying riders a day for 300+Million. Sounds to me if light rail is done correctly it benefits the whole community in so many different ways. I'm glad I bust my ass at work every day so I can help pay for a 3 Billion dollar freeway exspansion so the fat stuck up gossiping parents can have there "perfect little world" out in Katy and take only a hour to drive to the crime ridden horrible city instead of 2 hours.

Wow, fit 30,000 more cars a day for 2.8 billion dollars, plus the effects on the enviroment. Light rail on main street, 35,000 paying riders a day for 300+Million. Sounds to me if light rail is done correctly it benefits the whole community in so many different ways. I'm glad I bust my ass at work every day so I can help pay for a 3 Billion dollar freeway exspansion so the fat stuck up gossiping parents can have there "perfect little world" out in Katy and take only a hour to drive to the crime ridden horrible city instead of 2 hours.

I think any reasonable person would agree that light-rail is more efficient in both energy and space. One 2-car metrorail train carries, fully packed, what, 400 people? Taking just Travis Street downtown, 4 lanes, and about 1.5 persons per car on average, that's easily about 13 blocks of solid car traffic that is replaced, by one slim 12 foot wide train, taking only one block. An urban network of local train service is all good. But the city also needs commuter rail with less stops and faster service. The busses are needed also, on top of that, in both inner-city areas and the dense outer lying areas. If mass transit is going to work is has to serve as many people as possible, and there are many people in all parts of Houston. But to stereotype suburbanites as "fat gossiping parents" with thier "perfect little worlds" doesnt help the transit oriented cause, because you are alienating a huge percentage of the people who want it and will use it. The "fat stuck up gossiping parents" are not just in Katy and the other outlying Houston areas. They are also in River Oaks, Montrose, WestU, Bellaire, Rice Village, Memorial, etc., etc. The suburbs dont have a monopoly on SUV's and soccermoms, if that is what you are getting at.

I

But to stereotype suburbanites as "fat gossiping parents" with thier "perfect little worlds" doesnt help the transit oriented cause, because you are alienating a huge percentage of the people who want it and will use it. The "fat stuck up gossiping parents" are not just in Katy and the other outlying Houston areas. They are also in River Oaks, Montrose, WestU, Bellaire, Rice Village, Memorial, etc., etc. The suburbs dont have a monopoly on SUV's and soccermoms, if that is what you are getting at.

I do know there are stuck up people in every part of the city but majority of the people that live in the suburbs are the way I describe. The areas you listed above are close to the city core though, they don't have to drive wasted miles every day to get to where they need to be. If people want the quiet, nice family setting they have plenty of choices closer to town. I don't have a problem with SUV's and soccer moms, my wife is one and my mom was one. They are important for a succesful family. I guess I went on a pointless rant, I just paid my taxes..... Just because I chose to work hard in life and earn a good living I have to pay for everyone else.

I sent my e-mails, hopefully in 2011 I'll be taking the light rail down Richmond to town instead of driving.

I do know there are stuck up people in every part of the city but majority of the people that live in the suburbs are the way I describe. The areas you listed above are close to the city core though, they don't have to drive wasted miles every day to get to where they need to be. If people want the quiet, nice family setting they have plenty of choices closer to town. I don't have a problem with SUV's and soccer moms, my wife is one and my mom was one. They are important for a succesful family. I guess I went on a pointless rant, I just paid my taxes..... Just because I chose to work hard in life and earn a good living I have to pay for everyone else.

I sent my e-mails, hopefully in 2011 I'll be taking the light rail down Richmond to town instead of driving.

I don't agree most suburbanites are stuck up, spoiled brats-but I do agree that many are-I have one in my own family; we think she was adopted from jackals ;) . The most disagreeables are the ones with everything going for them but still delicate flower about taxes they "have" to pay to support infrastructure they don't use-the ones who are the very privilidged decendants of the over 200 years of anglo-saxon christians who have controlled the US since it's inception-and yet they seem so put upon. So whether it's our local, whiney taxpayers who delicate flower because thier federal tax dollars help pay for the water treatment plant in N. Dakota or the N. Dakotans who delicate flower because a portion of thier federal tax dollars help fund a new subway line in Dallas, we ALL fund every project that recieves federal dollars everywhere. It's called responsible citizenship.

It might behove us all to leap-frog over the selfishness and near-sightedness that seems to prevail among many of us and move forward with long-term improvements to our infrastructure.

I don't think you went on a pointless rant but I don't believe you are paying for everyone else. I think you may just be paying your fair share if you are a typical US taxpayer. If you are the ex head of ExxonMobil-I might have a gripe with you. ;)

B)

Thanks Ethanra and everyone else who's written letters so far! These letters are going to make a huge difference! I just got back from the latest rail meeting at South Main Baptist Church. There weren't many supporters of the rail along Richmond there tonight. I do have faith in Metro, City Council-members Ada Edwards, Anne Clutterbuck, and Pam Holm however. From their comments in the last few meetings I think they will look at all sides when considering what their recommendations will be. I'm excited to see the recommendations of the engineers recently hired to study the best route for the line!

If people want the quiet, nice family setting they have plenty of choices closer to town.

One major issue that makes people go outside the core is that it is too expensive to live closer to downtown. Look at the property values and you will see, just as I did for several years. Sure, it would be great to be close to the center city, but it is going to cost. And not everyone can afford a $200,000 plus home. Secondly, if your career takes you to an outlyer part of the city, then living close to the core means just as much comute time and wasted fuel as someone from the burbs traveling towards the central areas. The reality is more complicated to just expect most people to realistically live as close to downtown as possible. It just isnt that simple.

The bottom line, many of us want Houston to be better, to become more pedestrian friendly and have a robust transit system. But we must be inclusive of the entire city when trying to improve it. Houston doesnt end at the 610 loop.

May I suggest also letters to the Chronicle? Both standard letters to the editor supporting rail on Richmond and, perhaps more importantly, letters criticizing their lazy, incompetent and biased coverage of this issue. They are CONSTANTLY repeating the Big Lie about the ballot language without ANY context or balance.

I think any reasonable person would agree that light-rail is more efficient in both energy and space. One 2-car metrorail train carries, fully packed, what, 400 people? Taking just Travis Street downtown, 4 lanes, and about 1.5 persons per car on average, that's easily about 13 blocks of solid car traffic that is replaced, by one slim 12 foot wide train, taking only one block. An urban network of local train service is all good. But the city also needs commuter rail with less stops and faster service. The busses are needed also, on top of that, in both inner-city areas and the dense outer lying areas. If mass transit is going to work is has to serve as many people as possible, and there are many people in all parts of Houston. But to stereotype suburbanites as "fat gossiping parents" with their "perfect little worlds" doesnt help the transit oriented cause, because you are alienating a huge percentage of the people who want it and will use it. The "fat stuck up gossiping parents" are not just in Katy and the other outlying Houston areas. They are also in River Oaks, Montrose, WestU, Bellaire, Rice Village, Memorial, etc., etc. The suburbs dont have a monopoly on SUV's and soccermoms, if that is what you are getting at.
The bottom line, many of us want Houston to be better, to become more pedestrian friendly and have a robust transit system. But we must be inclusive of the entire city when trying to improve it. Houston doesnt end at the 610 loop.

2112, I must applaud you for your comments. There are no bickering, badgering, nor condescending remarks. Your comment on rail with less stops and faster service is a SURE way to get more riders because ride times will be reduced. Houston's Park and Ride service has been successful because of that reason.

I know that the current light rail system was disappointing to me when the travel times were just as lengthy as riding the bus. METRO basically replaced several bus routes with the light rail. I'm a believer that less rail stops coupled with augmented bus routes is the way to go. I personally would also have some additional FREE parking around more of the stops so one could drive to a station and then take the rail in to downtown or med center, without having to catch a bus. You might get more riders from those who are hesitant to ride the bus but yet would take advantage of the train.

When is the next meeting for the University Line ?

I saw someone mentioned a meeting for another line.. does that mean the public forum to discuss the university line has ended.

When should we expect decisions to be announced ? Or least have a more sollid idea which way they are leaning ?

Is it important that you be a resident of Culberson's district to write him a letter?

Should we only write letters to our own representatives?

No. It is all of Harris County's transit system and ALL of Harris County may make their voice heard. Since Mr. Culberson has taken the lead (most of the line IS in fact in his district), then the most important person to contact is him.

2112, I must applaud you for your comments. There are no bickering, badgering, nor condescending remarks.

Man, that was close. Thanks for catching that, Musicman. Lets see, oh yes...

...and furthermore, you damn urban-crazed nazis who think that everyone outside-the-loop are closed-minded bigots with no capacity for free-thinking, are just a bunch of biggots and just as closed-minded as the people you claim not to be, damn inconsiderate unrealistic rose-colored glasses wearing hyprocritical people you.

There. Fixed it.

Man, that was close. Thanks for catching that, Musicman. Lets see, oh yes...

...and furthermore, you damn urban-crazed nazis who think that everyone outside-the-loop are closed-minded bigots with no capacity for free-thinking, are just a bunch of biggots and just as closed-minded as the people you claim not to be, damn inconsiderate unrealistic rose-colored glasses wearing hyprocritical people you.

There. Fixed it.

I'm so...hurt.

:(

:P

B)

My dream east-west rail would be a subway, on Westheimer, starting at downtown. It would start around the Jones Plaza area, maybe on Milam or Lousiana Street, go south with one additional stop close to Enron, then continue through Midtown with a couple more stations, turn on Elgin, then follow Westheimer all the way to Uptown, maybe ending slightly past Post Oak. There would be so much ridership on that allignment, it would always be full.

In my dreams.

I watched the metro board meeting on TV a few weeks ago when they were speaking about the University line......... That was a very large turn out from Afton Oaks at the meeting and they were all against using Richmond. I noticed out of all the speakers that spoke out against it, non appeared youthful. Most were gray/silver/white haired individuals. Could it just be that the people in this area are older and dont really care about future growth and expansion of rail in the city especially along Richmond because most wont be around to have to benefit from it in the future due to rising population numbers and increased fuel prices? I didnt see one 20 or 30 something person from that group stand up in opposition of rail along Richmond......

Whats really going on??????

My dream east-west rail would be a subway, on Westheimer, starting at downtown. It would start around the Jones Plaza area, maybe on Milam or Lousiana Street, go south with one additional stop close to Enron, then continue through Midtown with a couple more stations, turn on Elgin, then follow Westheimer all the way to Uptown, maybe ending slightly past Post Oak. There would be so much ridership on that allignment, it would always be full.

In my dreams.

...and I would extend your dream all the way to BW8.

B)

I watched the metro board meeting on TV a few weeks ago when they were speaking about the University line......... That was a very large turn out from Afton Oaks at the meeting and they were all against using Richmond. I noticed out of all the speakers that spoke out against it, non appeared youthful. Most were gray/silver/white haired individuals. Could it just be that the people in this area are older and dont really care about future growth and expansion of rail in the city especially along Richmond because most wont be around to have to benefit from it in the future due to rising population numbers and increased fuel prices? I didnt see one 20 or 30 something person from that group stand up in opposition of rail along Richmond......

I think you have really hit the target with your Red Ryder there, 1stWord. Maybe I would add the "set in my ways and don't want to change" component. The younger crowd that might actually use the rail tends to have a more favorable view of it. At 46, I may not be that younger group anymore, but I envision myself riding the rails in my old age for entertainment. :lol:

METRO's plan to run the rail to the Universities has been mentioned as part of a plan to educate younger riders on the value of mass transit as well. So, in a sense, what you observed is a logical flip side...that the older crowd wouldn't want it, because they won't use it. One can only hope that our elected officials see this as well, and understand that the younger riders are the future of Houston, not the old foagies. Not that we should push the old-timers out, but that we should plan for the future, not the present. And this rail line won't hurt old people...it may actually help the old folk on a fixed income.

I was at the Feburary board meeting and I have to agree most of the anti-rail Afton Oakers were in their "later years". I'm not sure if they are just set in their ways, don't want to pay their fair share for infrastructure or still believe that rail will go through Afton Oaks [i predict pigs will fly over snowfall in hell before that happens]. They were for the most part very angry people in that meeting from the time they pulled up in their chartered bus and blocked traffic on Main for about 15 minutes to their chants of "IT'S MY TAX DOLLARS!!!"-they really were not the best face for their argument.

B)

The rail line would benefit all ages. People just have to get out of the "right now" mindset and think towards the near and longterm future. I have said before, im no fan of busses but i would get on the rail in a heart beat! I also copied pics of our choo choo from the internet and showed it to friends of mine in other cities along with the ridership numbers just for the little 7 or 8 mile track. They were AMAZED at how nice it looks and that we didnt and dont have that system all over the city and also amazed at the high ridership numbers and the frequency of the train at every 6 minutes.

Archived