METRORail University Line

ricco67

man this sucks. Houston gets the short end of the stick either way it goes. If they cut off the University Line by not letting it meet the Main St line, it will really mess up continutity, basically the whole purpose for extending the line out to the Uptown area. What kind of nuckleheads do you guys have working in the planning department in Houston? Culberson needs to be stripped of his title.

The next thing you know Houstonians are going to be talking about placing rail tracks along the Katy Freeway. ;)

they did this with the light rail in Denver along I-25 and made it look really nice. The construction is just now in the process of being complete. Perhaps it could work alongside the Katy or Gulf Freeway in Houston.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
man this sucks. Houston gets the short end of the stick either way it goes. If they cut off the University Line by not letting it meet the Main St line, it will really mess up continutity, basically the whole purpose for extending the line out to the Uptown area. What kind of nuckleheads do you guys have working in the planning department in Houston? Culberson needs to be stripped of his title.

agreed. why not connect it to main and UH. if you arent gonna do that then might as well not built it the first place. I think thats the strategy they are using. Make it so crippled and inneffective that even if it does somehow get built it would be such a terrible waste of money, and thus a great weapon in the anti rail arsenal to kill any new proposals.

First they made it Diesel

Now it might not even connect to the Main Street Line

Soon it will be annouced that they have decided on some crap like BRT instead.

This doesn't mean back off the lobbying and take it for granted, but when all is said and done the route will go down Richmond through the Greenway Plaza area before jumping south to Westpark (avoiding Afton Oaks.) There is just too much potential ridership generation in GP, it is the route Metro really wants, and the somewhat maleable studies will make it the recommended route. Luckily it is also the best route, by far.

And while Culberson is powerful, he isn't insurmountable. Plus today's article sounds like he backed off a bit:

"Culberson, R-Houston, plays a key role in Metro's federal funding hopes and hosted a sometimes raucous public meeting on the line Wednesday night at Rice University. About 500 people attended.

In his e-mail notifying voters of the meeting, Culberson said he believed residents along Richmond would soon be "thoroughly educated" on the competing proposals and that he would be ready to announce his position.

Culberson said Metro officials asked him Wednesday to postpone judgment until they could study the routes.

"I thought it was premature to try to make the decision without the facts," Metro board Chairman David Wolff said.

"I think that's reasonable," Culberson agreed."

But even if he comes out opposed to routing through GP, Kay Bailey Hutchison should be pretty easy to sway into supporting a GP alignment, she's been pretty proactive and strong on transit. That gets it to conference, and odds are Culberson will ultimately lose. He ain't the only Houston area congressman. I don't see him getting away with a DeLay-style blockade (at least more than 1 session) because things have changed and Metro has cleaned up its act a good bit. He's not going to get a lot of help from the TX GOP this time, it is a completely different situation. This debate is actually about a line route, instead of about widespread corruption and dishonesty in Metro. You can think Bill White for a good bit of that change.

zaphod and C2H, who said it wasn't crossing Main or going to UH? Even Culberson said opposition doesn't begin until west of Mandell. dp2 may well be correct. Passing in front of Greenway before heading south is by far the best allignment, and may well be the route chosen. My point was merely to point out that all is not lost if it turns south at Shepherd.

As for diesel or electric, I don't think any decisions have been made, but if you've ridden a diesel/electric train, you'd see that it is still a good option.

zaphod and C2H, who said it wasn't crossing Main or going to UH? Even Culberson said opposition doesn't begin until west of Mandell. dp2 may well be correct. Passing in front of Greenway before heading south is by far the best allignment, and may well be the route chosen. My point was merely to point out that all is not lost if it turns south at Shepherd.

As for diesel or electric, I don't think any decisions have been made, but if you've ridden a diesel/electric train, you'd see that it is still a good option.

No RED!!!! i like the look of the current choo choo, and would like to see that look carried on all the lines. i think it would be cheaper with commonality in the long term :) and it looks really cool.

No RED!!!! i like the look of the current choo choo, and would like to see that look carried on all the lines. i think it would be cheaper with commonality in the long term :) and it looks really cool.

Easy Now! :lol: I wasn't advocating for the diesel. I agree that a uniform look throughout the system would look and work best. I was just pointing out that diesels aren't bad, since these two made them sound like the end of the world. And, for as little polution as the diesels would put out, I still like the electrics better.

This doesn't mean back off the lobbying and take it for granted, but when all is said and done the route will go down Richmond through the Greenway Plaza area before jumping south to Westpark (avoiding Afton Oaks.) There is just too much potential ridership generation in GP, it is the route Metro really wants, and the somewhat maleable studies will make it the recommended route. Luckily it is also the best route, by far.

And while Culberson is powerful, he isn't insurmountable. Plus today's article sounds like he backed off a bit:

But even if he comes out opposed to routing through GP, Kay Bailey Hutchison should be pretty easy to sway into supporting a GP alignment, she's been pretty proactive and strong on transit. That gets it to conference, and odds are Culberson will ultimately lose. He ain't the only Houston area congressman. I don't see him getting away with a DeLay-style blockade (at least more than 1 session) because things have changed and Metro has cleaned up its act a good bit. He's not going to get a lot of help from the TX GOP this time, it is a completely different situation. This debate is actually about a line route, instead of about widespread corruption and dishonesty in Metro. You can think Bill White for a good bit of that change.

You make a good point but...any part of the line on Westpark is missing the opportunity of hitting LARGE chunks of density which equals ridership. Traveling north on Weslyan from Richmond to Westheimer then west to Post Oak covers a huge swath of density. Traveling south to Westpark to ??? covers what? A glorified back alley with an apartment complex and a burger stand-OH! and a Shell station, I think. I really believe this can be done right if only the self-serving Wongs and Culbersons would get out of the way so we can progress with something that could be a real asset to the entire city.

B)

That's not actually a bad idea. Why not have another line turn south on Weslayan. Have it go down to Bissonett and make a right. Then have it go down Bissonett to Bellaire. Make a right on Bellaire and have the line go all the way to Highway 6. I think it would have a lot of ridership and it would go through New Chinatown and Sharpstown.

Edit: A line down Westheimer would also be good, but would need to be in a tunnel.

just FYI i was posting in response to what C2H said. but thankfully what he said apparently wasnt anything so its all good.

Looking at google earth, you can see all the apartments and buildings and stuff, and i say send the line north on westlayen to san felipe and take that just outside the loop. that would get the most high density development. and all youd really have to take out would be what looks like a gas station at weslayen and san felipe and there is nothing but a parking lot to tear out at that old school place next to the old HISD tajmahal bldg.

IMO i havent really followed this thread like i should be though, so im putting my money on someone have mentioning that earlier...

Not to derail the discussion too much (no pun intended), but can someone explain why this is called the "University Line"? It doesn't seem to come close to any of the Universities in the Houson area, except perhaps St. Thomas.

just FYI i was posting in response to what C2H said. but thankfully what he said apparently wasnt anything so its all good.

should i be insulted??? :D

zaphod and C2H, who said it wasn't crossing Main or going to UH?

yeah but it still wouldn't be a straight shot to downtown.

Not to derail the discussion too much (no pun intended), but can someone explain why this is called the "University Line"? It doesn't seem to come close to any of the Universities in the Houson area, except perhaps St. Thomas.

UH, TSU, St. Thomas, Rice-via a short transfer/jaunt to the Red Line-all universitys. All within blocks or adjacent to the campuses.

Here's a good example of what could be: I have an engineering course at UHD at 11AM but I have an Architecture History design course at UH at 3. I get on the train at UHD. I go to Wheeler station, I get off, walk over to Jack-in-the-Crack and scarf down a quick lunch; go back to Wheeler Station, jump on the U Line and make my 3 O'clock with time to spare.

THAT is why it's called the U Line.

B)

I've been frequenting the Metro "Town Hall" meetings and there are hoards of rail opponents speaking out against the rail down Richmond. I've written letters and spoken to many of the officials. A few have told me they just don't hear much from the supporters - if there are any. Do any of you support the rail on Richmond? If so, this is the time to write letters and speak up.

Below is a list of people to contact:

Mayor Bill White mayor@cityofhouston.net

Jamie Brewster, Executive Director Upper Kirby District jamie@upperkirby.org

Neartown Association ntaprez@hotmail.com

John Culberson, U.S. Congressman http://culberson.house.gov/contactinfo.aspx

Ada Edwards, City Council districtd@cityofhouston.net

Anne Clutterbuck, City Council districtc@cityofhouston.net

Pam Holm, City Council districtg@cityofhouston.net

I've been frequenting the Metro "Town Hall" meetings and there are hoards of rail opponents speaking out against the rail down Richmond. I've written letters and spoken to many of the officials. A few have told me they just don't hear much from the supporters - if there are any. Do any of you support the rail on Richmond? If so, this is the time to write letters and speak up.

Below is a list of people to contact:

Mayor Bill White mayor@cityofhouston.net

Jamie Brewster, Executive Director Upper Kirby District jamie@upperkirby.org

Neartown Association ntaprez@hotmail.com

John Culberson, U.S. Congressman http://culberson.house.gov/contactinfo.aspx

Ada Edwards, City Council districtd@cityofhouston.net

Anne Clutterbuck, City Council districtc@cityofhouston.net

Pam Holm, City Council districtg@cityofhouston.net

I would encourage all of you that support a Richmond alignment to send a letter or email to the persons noted above. There are quite a few of us on this board that support urban mobility and clearly light rail down Richmond makes sense.

Culberson's decision will be derived in part from the number of people that either support or do not support rail down Richmond. While over the past week or two, more supporters of a Richmond alignment have voiced their concerns, the anti-rail voice still clearly looms large. I've also attended these Metro meetings and I suppose the good news is that the anti-rail voice while loud, is limited. The bad news is that they are organized well enough that they show up to every meeting and voice their opposition. And with the lopsided coverage the Chronicle provides them, the impression to Culberson is that no one supports rail down Richmond, which is not true.

Below is the email address to Nick Swyka. Nick is Culberson's district director and will be able to ensure your emails get routed to the Congressman.

nick.swyka@mail.house.gov

Again, I encourage you to send an email to Culberson in support of the Richmond alignment. If everyone that has viewed this thread would send an email of support, it would start to put a major dent in the anti Richmond rail perception. Don't need to write a novel, just a quick note stating you support rail on Richmond.

i just wrote Culberson a letter. I'm planning on writing everyone else that largeTEXAS had listed as well. Here's what i wrote him. I strongly encourage the rest of you all write letters as well. Tell me what you think! :)

Dear Mr. Culberson,

My name is C2H and i would like to take the time to say that i am in support of Light Rail in Houston. It's cleaner, safer, and also more convienient.

I would also like to commend the efforts regarding the studies currently being done to connect all of the business centers. It is important to connect these centers such as: Downtown, Greenspoint, Greenway plaza, Texas Medical Center, Uptown/Galleria, and Westchase Districts. What's important is that these centers be connected in a continuous manor without having to do too many stops or transfers.

As far as the University Line is concerned, I am leaning toward it being built on Richmond. This is primarily due to the fact that it will run through Greenway Plaza with a connection to Uptown/Galleria. The only downside is that the train will more than likely run a little bit slower if it is built at-grade with street-level. This might possibly result in the number of collisions that we witnessed on the Main Street line.

The Westpark design would be nice for a more rapid transit route, but the downside to this route would be due to the fact that it would not serve pedestrians in a convienient manor. It would not directly take people to most major destinations. Perhaps a solution would be to connect the line to certain destinations by footbridges or pedestrian friendly pathways.

All in all, i am in favor of Light Rail. I think its important for Houston. I think its important for the people of Houston. This city is already too car-oriented and there needs to be more transportation options besides the automobile. If Houston fails to implement a reliable light rail corridor, there will come a time when it is too late. Other cities across the U.S. are progressing to make it more convienient for business and people in their cities. I strongly feel that it's time for Houston to do the same thing.

Please e-mail me back with your response and let me know where we stand. Thank you.

Excellent C2H! urbanspace is right, if all of us on this site that support rail on Richmond write letters (even if it's just one line saying "I support rail on Richmond"), then that will make a HUGE difference. This truly is a pivotal moment in Houston. For all of us who gripe about not having the quality transit that Dallas, Atlanta, etc. have, this is the time to be proactive about it.

Rail on Richmond makes sense. Metro has promised that newer and better technology will be utilized in order to save as many trees as possible, lessen disruption to businesses during construction, and stagger construction so that Richmond is still a usable street during construction.

The fact that so many businesses and residences are located along Richmond makes it the obvious choice over Westpark in my opinion. Property owners are understandably nervous, but with the microscope on Metro, they won

Here's an email I sent to one of the parties listed - each was seperately composed depending on to whom it was sent, but not everyone may want to do that:

Dear Rep. Culberson,

I'm writing to express my strong support for rail on Richmond Avenue for Metro's expansion of light rail.

This route offers clear advantages over the proposed Westpark line, and the long-term benefits far outweigh any short-term inconveniences.

Please join me in supporting the Richmond route for light rail expansion.

The courtesy of a reply expressing your thoughts will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

(my name - not dbigtex56, of course! - address and phone #)

...and a big THANK YOU to largeTexas for compiling and posting the list of emails!

I've seen some very persuasive arguments regarding the route of the proposed Richmond/Westpark rail line. HAIF was created for that very reason - to exchange information and ideas.

Now is the time to make your views count. It takes only a few minutes to write an email, and, personally, I find it exciting to know that I'm part of the process and not just an observer. Here's a reply I received from the the Neartown Association in response to my email:

****** - thanks for your note. I've forwarded a copy to Congressman

Culberson's office. Neartown believes a Richmond alignment makes the

most

sense and have stated our position accordingly. At this point we need

all

the letters of support we can muster in order to counteract opposition

to a

Richmond alignment.

If you know of others that might support Richmond Rail, please have

them

send such support to Nick Swyka in Culberson's office. He will get the

letters to the Congressman.

nick.swyka@mail.house.gov

Thanks again!

Allen Ueckert

The decision on the route of the Westpark/Richmond line will impact the city of Houston for decades - generations - to come. Please be part of the process. Your voice will be heard. Write those emails now!

I haven't ridden public transportation in 20 years and I live off Richmond west of Weslayan. Reading this forum got me curious about riding the bus and rail so today I did it to see what it was like. I had nothing to do today and I never go downtown so I went to the stop and Richmond and Weslayan and after only 10 minutes I was on the bus.

The bus was clean and had 14 passengers. As we traveled down Richmond towards downtown we passed lots of bars and restaurants and it occured to me that this might be an easy way to visit them as I could go on the bus, get hammered and take the bus back home easily. I began to want a margarita.

My plan was to go downtown and sample some of the restaurants/bars along the Main street rail line. I got dropped off somewhere around Main and Rusk. I went walking up Main street and the first thing I noticed was hardly anybody was there. There were lots of for lease signs in the windows. It smelled like pee and every block or so I would get asked for money. I tried explaining that I didn't have any money because my property taxes were now so high that I could barely afford paying them but nobody seemed interested.

I noticed a lot of restaurants were closed and I was mystified about this because I thought the rail was going to bring people downtown. There was hardly anybody downtown.

I got on the rail and headed south. I didn't pay anything because I didn't know how it worked. I just got on. I asked a man about this in the next row and he said not to worry about it because he does not pay to ride the rail either. Do most people not pay to ride the rail?

Going down Main the rail passes building after building with for sale or for lease signs in the windows. Nobody is on the street. It is a ghost town. It appears maybe some property was bought and demolished by speculators (I'm speculating) but a lot of that has for sale signs too. After riding the rail and looking at it with my eyeballs I'm wondering what would become of Richmond if the rail goes down it. The businesses along Main are empty or closed and if rail really brought customers to these businesses they would be open.

back to the chicken and egg cliche...

You need attractions/street shops for people to fill the streets of downtown, but it would help if people lived downtown too.

The downtown tunnel system kills the business opportunities above ground, and are not open during the weekend.

I guess you could blame the heat.

Going down Main the rail passes building after building with for sale or for lease signs in the windows. Nobody is on the street. It is a ghost town. It appears maybe some property was bought and demolished by speculators (I'm speculating) but a lot of that has for sale signs too. After riding the rail and looking at it with my eyeballs I'm wondering what would become of Richmond if the rail goes down it. The businesses along Main are empty or closed and if rail really brought customers to these businesses they would be open.

Just curious, when was the last time you were Downtown before this? Also as for paying for the rail the machines are pretty self explanatory. I pay every time I ride it, but maybe that is just me. I have had a couple experiences where they have people check for tickets. I believe the fine is $500.

Just curious, when was the last time you were Downtown before this? Also as for paying for the rail the machines are pretty self explanatory. I pay every time I ride it, but maybe that is just me. I have had a couple experiences where they have people check for tickets. I believe the fine is $500.

I go downtown maybe a couple of times a year. I travel a lot and my business isn't in that direction so downtown hasn't been a real focus for me. I had been reading this forum and I decided today to give Metro a shot to see what I was missing.

I did notice when I got off the rail some ticket kiosks. When the train first pulled up I just got on because I was thinking it would be like the bus where you drop some quarters in the slot. I was suprised to ride for free and be told by someone else he rides for free too. I mean, like how many other people are doing this? Trust me it was not hard to do.

NI8 - I can't put down that today the reason all those businesses were closed was it was too hot. It wasn't that hot today. It wasn't hot last month or the month before that yet store after store has for lease signs in the windows on Main street. If the rail is bringing in all these consumers then why are all the restaurants closed on Main street on a Saturday? Get on the rail and look for yourself. Why is Main practically deserted all down the Main street line?

I go downtown maybe a couple of times a year. I travel a lot and my business isn't in that direction so downtown hasn't been a real focus for me. I had been reading this forum and I decided today to give Metro a shot to see what I was missing.

I did notice when I got off the rail some ticket kiosks. When the train first pulled up I just got on because I was thinking it would be like the bus where you drop some quarters in the slot. I was suprised to ride for free and be told by someone else he rides for free too. I mean, like how many other people are doing this? Trust me it was not hard to do.

NI8 - I can't put down that today the reason all those businesses were closed was it was too hot. It wasn't that hot today. It wasn't hot last month or the month before that yet store after store has for lease signs in the windows on Main street. If the rail is bringing in all these consumers then why are all the restaurants closed on Main street on a Saturday? Get on the rail and look for yourself. Why is Main practically deserted all down the Main street line?

Monday through Friday, a quarter million people work downtown. There are numerous businesses, including restaurants, that cater to that quarter million people. On Saturday, that quarter million people are not at work. Therefore, those businesses that cater to that quarter million people do not open. The train has nothing to do with the stores being closed. Economics does.

The fare you paid to get on the bus allows you to transfer to the train without paying an additional fare. Technically, you should get a transfer pass to prove you paid, but you did not need to pay again.

BTW - If you had been on the train with me at lunch yesterday, you would not have been able to find a seat.

Archived