METRORail University Line

ricco67

Someone brought up a very important point about Richmond needing to be upgraded/repaired in the near future.

While driving along Richmond earlier today, it occured to me that the entire street from Montrose to 610 will probably be updated/repaired with a whole new surface within the next couple of years and this alone will have as much of an impact as the rail line itself will.

If the fixing of Richmond is to be done, you might as well throw in the rail at about the same time. During construction Richmond will be useless as a traffic corridor for almost 2 years once that is started until completion.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest danax
Maybe I would add the "set in my ways and don't want to change" component. The younger crowd that might actually use the rail tends to have a more favorable view of it. At 46, I may not be that younger group anymore, but I envision myself riding the rails in my old age for entertainment. :lol:

I'll see you there, Red. I'll be the guy with the Senior Pass dangling by a chain from my neck carrying a handbag with some extra diapers.... :(

There is something about middle-age and civic involvement, and part of that might be due to not wanting change, and seeing how it is and how it was as better than how we think it will be. And sometimes the fears prove to have been valid, and sometimes not.

I was at a meeting on the East End last night, put on by Councilwoman Alvarado, for Civic Associations in District I and the City's staff that deals with the enforcement of them. The idea was to get both sides together and hash out concerns. (by the way, it was being filmed for the Municipal Channel). Pecan Park, East Lawndale, Eastwood, Garden Villas, Glenbrook Valley, Reveille/Park Place, Songwood......all were represented. And, to a person, all appeared over 40 years of age.

Richmond will be changed forever if rail goes down it. These people fear that change because, like members of a platoon going to battle in a war, some will survive and some won't, and there's no way to predict who. The safest thing to do is not go to war at all.

Another possible thing with rail; retail establishments that have larger items for sale will get hurt by the creation of a less-friendly car environment. How likely is someone going to go shopping for furniture on Metro? So conversion of certain streets to rail will cause some reshuffling, and larger item stores will end up in more suburban settings. We might eventually end up with coffee shops, book stores and cafes clustered around rail stations, for example. I think the result will be nice, a sort of pseudo-zoning, but any change of environment will cause some species to perish.

I'll see you there, Red. I'll be the guy with the Senior Pass dangling by a chain from my neck carrying a handbag with some extra diapers.... :(

There is something about middle-age and civic involvement, and part of that might be due to not wanting change, and seeing how it is and how it was as better than how we think it will be. And sometimes the fears prove to have been valid, and sometimes not.

I was at a meeting on the East End last night, put on by Councilwoman Alvarado, for Civic Associations in District I and the City's staff that deals with the enforcement of them. The idea was to get both sides together and hash out concerns. (by the way, it was being filmed for the Municipal Channel). Pecan Park, East Lawndale, Eastwood, Garden Villas, Glenbrook Valley, Reveille/Park Place, Songwood......all were represented. And, to a person, all appeared over 40 years of age.

Richmond will be changed forever if rail goes down it. These people fear that change because, like members of a platoon going to battle in a war, some will survive and some won't, and there's no way to predict who. The safest thing to do is not go to war at all.

Another possible thing with rail; retail establishments that have larger items for sale will get hurt by the creation of a less-friendly car environment. How likely is someone going to go shopping for furniture on Metro? So conversion of certain streets to rail will cause some reshuffling, and larger item stores will end up in more suburban settings. We might eventually end up with coffee shops, book stores and cafes clustered around rail stations, for example. I think the result will be nice, a sort of pseudo-zoning, but any change of environment will cause some species to perish.

There is a Home Depot in the heart of Manhattan

i received another response to my letter today.

Thanks for your note. Neartown is supportive of a Richmond alignment, but

moreover supportive of allowing Metro the time to work through the process

to determine what makes sense for Houston.

Thanks again.

Allen Ueckert

An interesting article in Houston Intown (may issue) has a letter in it addressing how the rail would benifit the upper kirby district and surrounding areas.

He also addresses critics about how the rail construction would put various stores out of business and states how many of the business along mainstreet went under due to overdevelopment or faulty management.

The author of the letter is a person who ran the Cabo's downtown during the construction of downtown and lives along the Richmond Corridor.

Hopefully some of the people at Afton Oaks and the upper kirby district pays attention to his arguments.

Mr. Seger is on another of his "I'll-hold-my-breath-until-I'm-blue" rants.

May 8, 2006, 9:54AM

Metro says map doesn't mean rail decision made

By RAD SALLEE

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Afton Oaks resident Chris Seger has been fighting for years to ensure that the Metropolitan Transit Authority's light rail plans are realized on Westpark and not Richmond Avenue. He recently forwarded a map and conceptual drawings from Metro that depict just the opposite.

The map shows a MetroRail boarding platform on Richmond at Edloe in the heart of Greenway Plaza, with covered walkways and elevators taking riders to a massive parking garage and then to Lakewood Church, two blocks away in the former Compaq Center.

"So much for 'studying both alternatives," Seger wrote. "While (Metro board Chairman) David Wolff and (President and CEO) Frank Wilson were telling us ... that nothing has been decided, their engineering department has been busy producing drawings for rail on Richmond."

Metro spokesman George Smalley said the agency was "just trying to be responsive to the interests and questions of businesses and residents along the corridor."

"By no means should it be interpreted as evidence that Metro's made up its mind," he said.

Smalley said Metro officials met with Lakewood representatives, who

Jeez these cry babies don't quit. I completely forgot about the Lakewood congregation. I took my parents there (they're from Louisiana and have only seen it on TV before) a few Sundays ago and was amazed by the number of people, but even more amazed by the number of cars. Its chaos getting in and out of there.

Having a rail line that makes a stop right at, or by the church would be a great asset. Oh, on a somewhat unrelated note, has anyone seen what they've done to that parcel of land just west of the church? I thought it was a park once, by the way it was always manicured. I guess I was wrong. Score yet another one for the "deep-sea parking lot" strip center. :(

Jeez these cry babies don't quit. I completely forgot about the Lakewood congregation. I took my parents there (they're from Louisiana and have only seen it on TV before) a few Sundays ago and was amazed by the number of people, but even more amazed by the number of cars. Its chaos getting in and out of there.

Having a rail line that makes a stop right at, or by the church would be a great asset. Oh, on a somewhat unrelated note, has anyone seen what they've done to that parcel of land just west of the church? I thought it was a park once, by the way it was always manicured. I guess I was wrong. Score yet another one for the "deep-sea parking lot" strip center. :(

Yes, the number of cars is amazing. But so is the sheer amount of people walking across Richmond @ Edloe from the parking garage across the street. By the way, if you thought it was chaos then, you should've seen it opening weekend! It was literal gridlock! I think that it's a well-oiled machine now. They've adapted quickly. Parking and leaving to me are relatively easy--if not just as easy as when the church was in Settegast.

Jeez these cry babies don't quit.

Jeebus,

Seager's myopic inability to get beyond "these are MY tax dollars" [He sat behind me at a board meeting on the U Line-I wanted to turn and tell him they are everyone's] and his refusal to read and/or comprehend the ballot language leads me to believe he will never shut up about his poor, put-upon Afton Oaks-where this line will NEVER run through anyway.

B)

I was at a University meeting and an anti-Richmond person got into a spat with a pro-Richmond person. When the anti said that "these are my tax dollars", the pro-Richmond person said "they're mine too!". That seemed to stun the lady a bit--the thought that she's not the only one paying taxes! lol.

Forest for the Trees.......

As a newbie to the discussion of the Richmond line, I can't help thinking that a lot of time is being spent debating a single rail line, when there might also need to be discussion of larger issues.

For example, imho, it's Houston's intransigence in building and planning for mass transit that has created some of the issues surrounding this particular rail line. Development is thick in the area - 20 years ago some of the impediments to this rail line would have been much more easily scaled.

But no use crying over spilt milk. General questions for discussion--

What is up next for METRO? Where can I find info on their plans?

What are the other mass transit issues in the city?

Why does Houston lag so far behind other major cities in transit?

Does "big oil" actively work against mass transit?

Does the average Houstonian consider mass transit a viable option?

etc.

Forest for the Trees.......

As a newbie to the discussion of the Richmond line, I can't help thinking that a lot of time is being spent debating a single rail line, when there might also need to be discussion of larger issues.

For example, imho, it's Houston's intransigence in building and planning for mass transit that has created some of the issues surrounding this particular rail line. Development is thick in the area - 20 years ago some of the impediments to this rail line would have been much more easily scaled.

But no use crying over spilt milk. General questions for discussion--

What is up next for METRO? Where can I find info on their plans?

What are the other mass transit issues in the city?

Why does Houston lag so far behind other major cities in transit?

Does "big oil" actively work against mass transit?

Does the average Houstonian consider mass transit a viable option?

etc.

It is a chore to find info on METRO's future plans. Their info stream is severly lacking.

The mass transit issues are obviously the movement of people-of commuters in general.

The reasons we lag behind are many. Addiction to single-occupant transportation. The addiction to the DeLays of the world who tell you they know best while screwing you with your pants on.

Big oil? IMO, not a factor.

The average Houstonian appears to be very much engaged in the debate and does consider mass transit a viable option.

• 2 weeks later...

an interesting read:

May 23, 2006, 8:47AM

RICHMOND RUCKUS

Follow history's tracks on rail

New line should be built along Westpark, as it was originally planned

By EDWARD R. 'TED' RICHARDSON

SHOULD the Metropolitan Transit Authority's long-contemplated "University Line" be located along Richmond Avenue? Or should it be in what was identified in 1980 as a priority corridor and called the Southwest/Westpark corridor?

Despite what others have suggested, this is not just the question of a matter of "us versus them"

Im curious. I couldnt find any information on where and when this project will start. I wonder if they will begin from the west side and move east. If so, and they are waiting for approval, its a STUPID plan. I think the focus should be to start this project on the east end at the Universities and work west. The old people in Afton Oaks maybe on thier last legs by the time it reaches them.

Im curious. I couldnt find any information on where and when this project will start. I wonder if they will begin from the west side and move east. If so, and they are waiting for approval, its a STUPID plan. I think the focus should be to start this project on the east end at the Universities and work west. The old people in Afton Oaks maybe on thier last legs by the time it reaches them.

It could well be they start on the east side or-as I've heard and read talk they may start on each end simulstainiously.

In any event, the U Line will not be going through Afton Oaks so their beef is moot. As far as when it will start I think we're looking at late 2007-early 2008 at the earliest.

Again, there has been very little discussion of the eastern leg's route. It seems there should be more discourse as to what occurs east of Main.

B)

It could well be they start on the east side or-as I've heard and read talk they may start on each end simulstainiously.

In any event, the U Line will not be going through Afton Oaks so their beef is moot. As far as when it will start I think we're looking at late 2007-early 2008 at the earliest.

Again, there has been very little discussion of the eastern leg's route. It seems there should be more discourse as to what occurs east of Main.

B)

I'd be inclined to agree with you--but let's be honest about the 'clientele' that is east of Main. They're the same neighborhoods who originally threatened a re-vote after some of the LRT lines were changed to BRT--nearly a year before Afton Oaks and the like.

Note the little assumption that all the calamity he predicts is based on:

"With a minimum of 25 three-car trains moving in each direction per hour"

He got that from a Metro report from more than 20 years ago, when Metro was trying to stack the deck in its analysis to justify another option by trying to shoot down Richmond at-grade. Another example of the ethically-challenged old Metro's game-playing that came back to bite them in the butt.

They aren't going to be running 50 trains an hour in that corridor. Currently the Main Street line runs 20 per hour (10 in each direction.) DART runs somewhere in the mid-30's per hour through their downtown without any trouble. Since Metro intends to run just east-west service on this line instead of multi-line options with some diverting at Wheeler, it is doubtful that the line will reach 50 per hour.

an interesting read:

May 23, 2006, 8:47AM

RICHMOND RUCKUS

Follow history's tracks on rail

New line should be built along Westpark, as it was originally planned

By EDWARD R. 'TED' RICHARDSON

SHOULD the Metropolitan Transit Authority's long-contemplated "University Line" be located along Richmond Avenue? Or should it be in what was identified in 1980 as a priority corridor and called the Southwest/Westpark corridor?

Despite what others have suggested, this is not just the question of a matter of "us versus them"

I'd be inclined to agree with you--but let's be honest about the 'clientele' that is east of Main.

I've been hesitant to "go there" but it's a valid point. East of Main is UH and TSU and mainly minorities-blacks specificly. I think this could be a great opportunity for those neighborhoods if everyone doesn't blow it.

B)

I've been hesitant to "go there" but it's a valid point. East of Main is UH and TSU and mainly minorities-blacks specificly. I think this could be a great opportunity for those neighborhoods if everyone doesn't blow it.

B)

Have you been east of Main much? Theres much of that population with large economic strength. Take a drive through the area, it will prove to be an eye opening experience........

Have you been east of Main much? Theres much of that population with large economic strength. Take a drive through the area, it will prove to be an eye opening experience........

I'm through there about 3 times a week-that's why I said it's a great opportunity if everyone doesn't blow it.

B)

Just curious, the road construction under the 6-10 overpass, where Richmond runs underneath, do I see rail lines being installed in the centers lanes?

This is the area just east of the Best Buy shopping center, and west of the Afton Oaks neighborhood.

Just driving by it looks like rail line to be connected to in the future.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like part of the University route has been agreed upon, that of which is the run under the 6-10 overpass through Richmond.

Let me know your thoughts on what you see on the road, becuase I see rail lines. I will try to post a photo soon.

Edited by Pumapayam

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like part of the University route has been agreed upon, that of which is the run under the 6-10 overpass through Richmond.

I've not seen rail being laid under the loop at Richmond and I doubt seriously that any route has been carved in stone. HAIFers would be all over it like flys on u-know-what.

B)

Just curious, the road construction under the 6-10 overpass, where Richmond runs underneath, do I see rail lines being installed in the centers lanes?

This is the area just east of the Best Buy shopping center, and west of the Afton Oaks neighborhood.

Just driving by it looks like rail line to be connected to in the future.

Let me know your thoughts on what you see on the road, becuase I see rail lines. I will try to post a photo soon.

I drove by and checked...

Thats just concrete formwork you are seeing.

No rail on Richmond... yet.

I've not seen rail being laid under the loop at Richmond and I doubt seriously that any route has been carved in stone. HAIFers would be all over it like flys on u-know-what.

B)

I agree that HAIFers would be all over it--but so would Afton Oaks residents, the Chronicle, Martha Wong, John Culberson, and the city council members. I mean let's face it, METRO is under such a microscope that CEO Wilson and Chairman Wolff can't so much as pass gas in their own cars alone at 3 AM without ALL of those entities knowing about it. I wouldn't be surprised if their offices and cars and houses are bugged!