The Westin looks cheap.

I wonder at what price point they are going to try and sell the residences for?

I simply don't think there's a market for these residences. Imagine living next to a major hospital located alongside a sprawling freeway dotted with big box stores and terrible traffic. The Westin tends to be a nice chain, so I can't imagine these will be affordable...

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not crazy about the design of this Westin, either, but it could be worse (considering what's next door). For some reason, Houston hotel architecture tends to have an on-the-cheap look compared to properties managed by the same chains elsewhere. But ... I suppose if the audience for Houston hotels demanded more, nicer ones would be designed and built.

(Side comment: I've always thought it was a shame that -- especially with our subtropical climate -- hotel pool areas here are small and situated in bleak concrete spaces, completely uninviting. The only exception I can think of would be the pool that once existed at the old Shamrock Hotel.)

I assume if the developers continue with the plan to have some of the Westin space allocated to condos, their most likely demographic would be well-to-do Memorial-area residents who are getting older and might appreciate proximity to a major health-care facility. I would have considered that for my own parents, if it had been there earlier.

There are several good pool hotels around town;

1) The Omni- a really cool setting with a beautiful lawn and a pond adjacent to it

2) The Granduca- backs up to the bayou

3) ZaZa- overlooks Hermann Park and offers cabana service

4) Four Seasons- Downtown but posh

5) Hilton Americas- it's all about the view

Everything that's gone up in this area has been criticized right up until completion. Everyone eventually warmed up to the Crown for the most part. Wait until it's all done, I bet it looks like a million bucks. I saw many similar building styles in Dubai where a part of town "matched" if you would, and it looked amazing.

The new Memorial City Bank looks awesome, the Condo Project is really coming together, I love the consistent "wave" building top design we see on the new building by the condos, the mall and the Westin... just wait. I bet it all comes together.

Everything that's gone up in this area has been criticized right up until completion. Everyone eventually warmed up to the Crown for the most part. Wait until it's all done, I bet it looks like a million bucks. I saw many similar building styles in Dubai where a part of town "matched" if you would, and it looked amazing.

The new Memorial City Bank looks awesome, the Condo Project is really coming together, I love the consistent "wave" building top design we see on the new building by the condos, the mall and the Westin... just wait. I bet it all comes together.

It is not keeping with the spirit of this forum to praise any new construction. Especially true if said construction occurs outside the loop. :D

There's quite a bit of cool new construction outside the loop, and outside the beltway too, for that matter. However, I don't think this building falls into the cool category. The massing is chunky, there's not enough articulation, and the spire looks like an afterthought.

• 2 months later...
i heard the hotel on this project lost funding..

No way. There are guys pulling windows on the Hospital and the Hotel daily. I'm thinking there was a problem and they weren't installed properly. If you look at the bottom floors on the hotel you can see progress and the upper floors have different windows pulled daily. The hospital had the same lag time about midway and it was due to waiting for all the glass for the crown. This may be the case with this building as well as the top of the hotel has completely different windows.

I don't think financing would stop the construction of a multi-million dollar hotel this far into it's completion. There has already been way too much spent at this point. This isn't like abandoning a gas station or bank half way through construction.

see that's what i was thinking! when this person told me that i immediately started saying that and he was just like" i dont know, i dont know" glad its still going. plus its wierd for a W to lose funding anyways.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Seems to me construction really has grinded to a halt on the hotel. Bad windows or not, you could still be doing other work and there's not a person on the site.

They are, however, working on the sky walk over Gessner.

Seems to me construction really has grinded to a halt on the hotel. Bad windows or not, you could still be doing other work and there's not a person on the site.

They are, however, working on the sky walk over Gessner.

I think you're right about the hotel, Ducks. And they don't appear to be doing anything with the windows in the hotel building, contrary to earlier reports on this board. The hotel looks exactly like the picture from back in April earlier in this thread.

I think you're right about the hotel, Ducks. And they don't appear to be doing anything with the windows in the hotel building, contrary to earlier reports on this board. The hotel looks exactly like the picture from back in April earlier in this thread.

35 story tower is complete.

The hotel has now made a ton of progress in the past 3 weeks, look at the top story, or even look across the street from Target. There dozens of workers visible every day on that building. Not to mention they've added dozens of windows on the bottom floor in the past few days alone.

The sky walk is now 2 times longer than it was 2 weeks ago.

35 story tower is complete.

The hotel has now made a ton of progress in the past 3 weeks, look at the top story, or even look across the street from Target. There dozens of workers visible every day on that building. Not to mention they've added dozens of windows on the bottom floor in the past few days alone.

The sky walk is now 2 times longer than it was 2 weeks ago.

Where does the skywalk connect to now?

Where does the skywalk connect to now?

Right now it's the walkway of death. it's heading towards the mall, but can't quite picture where it's going to connect.

I keep picturing a real life version of the game "Lemmings" creatures falling off the end of that thing.

Right now it's the walkway of death. it's heading towards the mall, but can't quite picture where it's going to connect.

I keep picturing a real life version of the game "Lemmings" creatures falling off the end of that thing.

The tower will be open by the end of the year... most likely first week of December.

I confirmed it this weekend, my wife's doctor said the windows had problems with their seals and every window had to be replaced for both buildings.

She said that if we get pregnant now, the baby would be born in "The Tower".

It was much worse than that. The curtain wall did not perform well at all during Hurricane Ike. I was told there was several million dollars worth of damage to drywall, floors and ceilings. That is why every window has to be removed and reinstalled............correctly.

Like one of my old foreman's used to tell me. There's always enough money in the job to do it right the second time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived