102_1164.jpg

A horrific building in a terrible environment. I'm glad I don't have to deal with this monstrosity - or its surrounding area.

Lord help those who need to get to the emergency room of this monstosity.

When you fail to plan...you plan to fail. :(

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lord help those who need to get to the emergency room of this monstosity.

When you fail to plan...you plan to fail. :(

Why do you say that? What about the hideous design aesthetic of this building has anything to do with access to its ER? Because I'll tell ya, the I-10 feeder is nice and wide open these days. Yes, it's ugly but it's pretty easy to get around. Once construction on Gessner and I-10 itself is finished, it'll be even better (for another ten years, at least... :rolleyes:).

Wow, you people really don't like the design. I'm not crazy about it, but think it's looks decent from the the front. I think once both the hotel and Memorial Herman building are fully complete, it will all look good. However, from the back of Memorial Hermann it looks like they really dropped the ball. They should have at least added some more glass to the backside.

Has anyone commented on how the crown looks like one of those old roof-vent turbines ... or even better, a rotary drill? If it's a robot, I can imagine it inverting itself to burrow into the ground -- in which case, the lack of obvious arms would have the advantage of reducing drag. 'Course, those big shoulders would be a problem, too, but if it were a Transformer it could pull those inward.

The idea of the building being a Transformer got me to thinking ... anyone remember "Atragon", the 1963 Japanese sci-fli flick? Atragon was a submarine that flew, but could also drill through the earth using a suspiciously similar-looking drill. Not sure if I should post it here (copywrite), but here's a site with a pic: www.abtdvd.com/archives/dvdatragon.jpg. It even has the same blades attached to the shiny conical drill!

what the hell was MH thinking when they approved of that design. just when you thought houston hit an all time low with the mercer, someone hits one out of the park with this thing.

the base isn't too bad but that crown is absolute shit.

i love all the development in the area. i even like the burgeoning mini-skyline of that entire corridor.

i still don't understand the placement and size of the crown. As was mentioned a couple of posts ago, it will only look centered from a north-south approach, so i don't really get it considering most people will view it from the east-west approach. Anyway, maybe someone can explain THAT decision.

Personally, i think the placement and size of the crown is a mistake.

m. B)

I like the color of the glass, and the fact that the tiny crown on top is actually floors of offices. And its different.

Wait, the crown has offices?? I thought they were filling that thing with their giant (and completely unnecessary) flood lights for the evening lighting (the lights may be used to draw foes for the giant robot to defeat, mothra for example). Though, I don't see offices in the tiny, ugly, crown as that big of a feature. It still looks disgusting from any angle.

I like the building, i think its kind of cool. Its huge and stands out, i think once the entire site is built out it will look a lot better.

If you had to stare at its ill-planned design out of your office window every day, you'd start disliking it pretty quickly. I'm already sick of looking at it and they're not even finished building it yet.

Then again, maybe I'll feel differently when they finish the whole site. Maybe...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ok...so it flooded more than a few or less?.. :huh:

The memo says that a lot of employees were asking about the feasibility of moving into the building Nov/Dec since it flooded during Ike, and the Memorial City CEO wrote that he will give more information when contractors brief him on how bad the situation is. My dept is supposed to move in December and we started plans since July but right now things are at a lull.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't read the whole thread but wanted to share with you guys that you can see the building even from US59 south! Quite clearly too. Its amazing that I-10 is so close when you have some reference point! We need more tall buildings around Houston!

Archived