• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

I walked through the west part of the complex today, so it's fresh in my mind.  As an architecture prof once said to me:  "Surely that was not designed by an architect ...  at least, I hope not."

I realize that at least a few people here have been enthusiastic about the project.  But, to me, it seems like a bizarre hodgepodge of buildings that are not only odd (and ugly) by themselves, but that in the aggregate form an even more ungainly whole.    Frankly, I feel embarrassed that visitors who have any interest in architecture would see this.

Also, it's strange that the first "professional" buildings south of the hospital in the 60s-70s were designed by credible architect:  Karl Kamrath, who was a student (so I've heard) of FL Wright.  I always kinda liked his design for Memorial Presbyterian Church and the mansion in River Oaks.  Definitely Wright-ish.  But, today they looked kinda sad on the outside -- the exterior limestone decoration was mildewed and dirty-looking.  They aren't as interesting as his other local works, but the standard seems to have been lowered since then.  What has come after has gone from bland (East Tower) to wierd (the 35-story tower, the Westin, and the Skybridge).

On 2nd thought, I want to say something positive about the place.  I do like it that they've increased their focus on landscaping, at least in certain areas.

For instance, on the Skyway support columns and also on some of the garage exteriors, they installed wire trellises which are now covered with blooming jasmine.  That's a nice touch that mitigates the otherwise harsh aspect of some functional features.

Walking through some of the landscaped parts, it occured to me that there are small spaces that can be pleasant, even if the large-scale view from the street or freeway is, well, not as nice.

• 5 months later...

So they replaced the blue lights down the center blue column so that they can now change color to match the crown during holidays. It always dro=ve me crazy that the largest length of liights was unable to change, I'm very happy they did this.

On a side note, they have a trailer up on the opposite side of the freeway. Apprently they plan on buiding there very soon.

So they replaced the blue lights down the center blue column so that they can now change color to match the crown during holidays. It always dro=ve me crazy that the largest length of liights was unable to change, I'm very happy they did this.

That's awesome. The blue lighting of the area looks good during the year, but the green and red lighting during the holidays is fantastic. I love how you can see it in the distance from Beltway 8, Westpark Tollway, and other highways, it really looks neat.

• 1 year later...

elnina999 has added a photo to the pool:

Memorial Hermann illuminated at night

CityCentre is an upscale mixed-use development in Houston, Texas. It was originally known as Town & Country Mall, competing with the then upscale West Oaks Mall and neighboring Memorial City Mall.
The CityCentre is designed to be pedestrian friendly and car-independent. Since Houston has a low population density, and flourishing suburbs, the CityCentre is marketed towards people desiring to live in the city without having to travel far for food or the office.

Click here to view this photo at the HAIF Photo Pool on Flickr

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Frank Lloyd Wright was quoted as having used profanity when expressing his opinion of the Shamrock Hilton (now long since demolished).  I didn't like that building either, but at least it had some interesting and over-the-top history associated with it.  The MemorialHermann Tower is way worse.  I see it every day from my balcony near Uptown and it annoys me every time.  It's an embarrassment to Houston.  

MetroNational has put up a bunch of ugly buildings in their big patch of land out there.  Makes me wonder if the family that owns it all has a child that they gave the design contracts to, without concern for aesthetics.

• The title was changed to Houston photo: Memorial Hermann Illuminated At Night
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived