• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drive down Gessner every morning and love looking at this building. This with the Gateway Markers and all the work at Memorial City Mall has been a huge improvement.

I know people on forums love to tear things down, so I'm not surprised when people say things like "ugly, tan, blocky, 20 stories" hell a few months ago people were saying "the building lost funding" which was completely ridiculous. A 5 year old could have seen the holes in that fabrication. Either way, the 23 plus pages on this thread appear to indicate that folks think this building is at least an original, comment worthy and memorable building and this city needs more of them.

I drive down Gessner every morning and love looking at this building. This with the Gateway Markers and all the work at Memorial City Mall has been a huge improvement.

I know people on forums love to tear things down, so I'm not surprised when people say things like "ugly, tan, blocky, 20 stories" hell a few months ago people were saying "the building lost funding" which was completely ridiculous. A 5 year old could have seen the holes in that fabrication. Either way, the 23 plus pages on this thread appear to indicate that folks think this building is at least an original, comment worthy and memorable building and this city needs more of them.

It's original, comment worthy, and memorable only in the sense that it's utterly atrocious and does not justify that we need more of them. This is not "forum people" tearing this building down because we can: this is architectural criticism. The facade is cheap and uninspiring. The building shape is awkward and suburban. The crown is not only too small for the base that it sits on and looks like a complete afterthought, but it's not even centered! (it's placed closer to the front of the building, so those driving on I-10 - most people that would see it up close - can notice) And, what's worse is that compared to all of the other nice things they're putting in the Medical Center, we're left with a cheap, thrown-together, tacky-topped eye-sore that is not only taller than everything around it, but it will be for many years to come.

Now, I'm not saying you can't have a different opinion - that's fine. But don't just brush aside criticism on this building because forums are filled with bellicose, melancholy, altogether pessimistic people.

It's original, comment worthy, and memorable only in the sense that it's utterly atrocious and does not justify that we need more of them. This is not "forum people" tearing this building down because we can: this is architectural criticism. The facade is cheap and uninspiring. The building shape is awkward and suburban. The crown is not only too small for the base that it sits on and looks like a complete afterthought, but it's not even centered! (it's placed closer to the front of the building, so those driving on I-10 - most people that would see it up close - can notice) And, what's worse is that compared to all of the other nice things they're putting in the Medical Center, we're left with a cheap, thrown-together, tacky-topped eye-sore that is not only taller than everything around it, but it will be for many years to come.

Now, I'm not saying you can't have a different opinion - that's fine. But don't just brush aside criticism on this building because forums are filled with bellicose, melancholy, altogether pessimistic people.

I'm not criticizing folks for not liking it, I understand why many would not like it. What drives me nuts are folks that say "Why can't we build anything higher than 20 stories?" in a thread about a 35 story tall building, or "I heard this building lost funding!". All I am saying is I appreciate well thought out responses and valid criticisms, there are many people in this thread discussing asymmetry, etc. and I can definitely respect that (of course who care what I appreciate/respect).

The bottom line I was trying to communicate is taste is subjective, comments like "20 stories" (irrelevant to the thread) and "building losing funding" (poorly fabricated lie) are posts meant only to be negative.

Don't pay any attention to what all these unsolicited, credential-less internet architecture 'critics' think. I assure no one with any power, authority or skill gives a rat's ass what they like or don't like. Any idiot can drive by a building and poop on it. But that doesn't mean they know w.t.f. they are talking about.

If you enjoy looking at this building, knock yourself out. Don't let these frustrated architecture school dropout wannabees rain on your parade or tell you what you should or shouldn't like.

Internet opinions are like assholes.

Don't pay any attention to what all these unsolicited, credential-less internet architecture 'critics' think. I assure no one with any power, authority or skill gives a rat's ass what they like or don't like. Any idiot can drive by a building and poop on it. But that doesn't mean they know w.t.f. they are talking about.

If you enjoy looking at this building, knock yourself out. Don't let these frustrated architecture school dropout wannabees rain on your parade or tell you what you should or shouldn't like.

Internet opinions are like assholes.

I see one must have credential or else they are an asshole. Well, take your credential stuff it where the sun don't shine and I don't mean England.

It is sure funny how all those credential holding architects end up designing crap.

I see one must have credential or else they are an asshole. Well, take your credential stuff it where the sun don't shine and I don't mean England.

It is sure funny how all those credential holding architects end up designing crap.

Not that anyone cares but I am an Architect, only I design things that float. That doesn't make me anymore credible, but I designed yachts and workboats for 6 years. Yachts were much the same, some people saw beauty where others didn't and that's fine but folks who say things like "that's a bad design" really tick me off because that's just not accurate.

It's like listening to Larry the Cable Guy talk about acting. Or John Goodman talking about exercise. Or a republican talking about how to run government. Or the man on the street talking about architecture.

I wouldn't get too upset by anything an under qualified anonymous person with no expertise in architecture has to say on the internet.

Not that anyone cares but I am an Architect, only I design things that float. That doesn't make me anymore credible, but I designed yachts and workboats for 6 years. Yachts were much the same, some people saw beauty where others didn't and that's fine but folks who say things like "that's a bad design" really tick me off because that's just not accurate.

Sorry Springshadows, but this is still a poorly designed building. As AstrosFreak pointed out, there are numerous issues with this building that will destroy and influence the architectural response of any future tall buildings in the area.

Not a good thing. I only hope the myopic individuals who either designed and or approved this building will cease and desist. They are doing no favors to the residents of this city nor to the people who live in the far-flung western suburbs.

Sorry Springshadows, but this is still a poorly designed building. As AstrosFreak pointed out, there are numerous issues with this building that will destroy and influence the architectural response of any future tall buildings in the area.

Not a good thing. I only hope the myopic individuals who either designed and or approved this building will cease and desist. They are doing no favors to the residents of this city nor to the people who live in the far-flung western suburbs.

Unless the residents of this city or the people who live in the far-flung western suburbs like this kind of building. Talk about myopic. :rolleyes:

Yes they do. <_<

Guess what? You don't speak for the people of this city (Mr. Houston sits stagnant - joke of a city - lack of progress). Your insight into what the people of this city like or don't like is as misguided and inaccurate as that idiotic signature of yours.

Don't get me wrong. I don't believe this building will win any architecture awards, but your opinion of it is no more relevant than Spring Shadows, Dallasboi or mine. In fact, I would say it is quite a bit less relevant than that of the average HAIF poster. And if you spoke for the people of Houston or the far flung western burbs -this building wouldn't have been built in the first place - yet it was.

Guess that settles that.

Some do. Most dont. :wub:

Guess what? You don't speak for the people of this city (Mr. Houston sits stagnant - joke of a city - lack of progress). Your insight into what the people of this city like or don't like is as misguided and inaccurate as that idiotic signature of yours.

Don't get me wrong. I don't believe this building will win any architecture awards, but your opinion of it is no more relevant than Spring Shadows, Dallasboi or mine. In fact, I would say it is quite a bit less relevant than that of the average HAIF poster. And if you spoke for the people of Houston or the far flung western burbs -this building wouldn't have been built in the first place - yet it was.

Guess that settles that.

I never said or claimed I spoke for the people of this city, however, I'm confident the statement "most people of this city don't even notice this thing" is quite true. What does my signature have to do with anything? It came from some other coaster's response in another thread. Don't be foolish.

You are correct when you say my opinion on this building is no more relevant then SpringShadows, DallasBoi, or yours. In fact, I would say your opinion about my opinion is quite a bit less relevant than that of the average HAIF poster. And no. I didn't speak for the people of Houston or the outlying suburbs.

Guess that settles that. Get a grip. I hope you can see things a little more clearly. :)

...Or a republican talking about how to run government...

The Republicans didn't run the country into the ground like the dems are. It will be the Republican who bail the sorry asses out when it is all said and done. Who else will pay for the trillion dollars worth of entitlements that the dems are passing?

I never said or claimed I spoke for the people of this city, however, I'm confident the statement "most people of this city don't even notice this thing" is quite true.

How can a building of this size and scale not be noticed? Do you even listen to yourself speak? As Red said, and I paraphrase, your comments are painful to the eyes.

What does my signature have to do with anything?

. :)

It has everything to do with a thread of this nature. Your constant negativity of Houston's architecture and boosterism of ATL, Dallas and the like is old and boring. Or in your words, "UGH."

ame='LTAWACS' date='Friday, November 13, 2009 at 1:14 PM' timestamp='1258139671' post='349059']

I never said or claimed I spoke for the people of this city, however, I'm confident the statement "most people of this city don't even notice this thing" is quite true.

How can a building of this size and scale not be noticed? Do you even listen to yourself speak? As Red said, and I paraphrase, your comments are painful to the eyes.

It has everything to do with a thread of this nature. Your constant negativity of Houston's architecture and boosterism of ATL, Dallas and the like is old and boring. Or in your words, "UGH."

Ah Gary, my internet fan/follower. I knew you would spot my post here before the sun went down today. I am not negative about Houston. I like this town. I am negative about this particular building. It stinks.

I never said or claimed I spoke for the people of this city, however, I'm confident the statement "most people of this city don't even notice this thing" is quite true. What does my signature have to do with anything? It came from some other coaster's response in another thread. Don't be foolish.

You are correct when you say my opinion on this building is no more relevant then SpringShadows, DallasBoi, or yours. In fact, I would say your opinion about my opinion is quite a bit less relevant than that of the average HAIF poster. And no. I didn't speak for the people of Houston or the outlying suburbs.

Guess that settles that. Get a grip. I hope you can see things a little more clearly. :)

Yes, you did. You did when you said that "they don't". But at least it's encouraging that you realize that you don't speak for anyone. You should learn how to express yourself better if you want people to understand you. Either that or just stop lying all the time.

No one controls your signature but you. So stop blaming other 'coasters' for it. You wear that ignorant lie of a sig like a tattoo on your forehead. It's your choice to keep it as your signature, so you get to take to responsibility for it and all the hostility and automatic dismissal of your comments that come with it.

BTW, my opinion of your opinion is very relevant in my opinion. - so eat me.

The Republicans didn't run the country into the ground like the dems are. It will be the Republican who bail the sorry asses out when it is all said and done. Who else will pay for the trillion dollars worth of entitlements that the dems are passing?

Another year of republicans running this country and we would have no country. And stop kidding yourself, repugnantcans don't pay for anything. They just go around trying to stop progress. Whiny-cry baby -losers.

I am not negative about Houston. I like this town. -LTAWACS

This is good. Why can't this be your sig? Maybe I don't understand the point you are trying to make by keeping a perpetual insult to a city that you like locked inside all your posts. But lets just say, it doesn't read well. It sounds VERY negative. And it's only good for generating more negativity.

Maybe I'll do you a favor and make it my new sig.I bet everyone would love you then and you would be voted most popular boy on campus.

Just a photo I took a quick shot while I was in the area from the freeway.

P1000178b.jpg

Oh yeah. I got a new camera. smile.gif

The shame is that the main center portion of the building is cool...but that eastern wing is ghastly ugly.

I mean UGLY!!! Like a pretty girl with a foot growing out of the side of her head!

Who designed this building?

By the looks of the material palette, I think Ziegler-Cooper designed this one (along with the two condo towers at uptown park and the catholic cathedral downtown). I have unofficially likened this iconic tower as the "Fabergé egg" bldg. Aesthetics-wise, it is appropriate for the area's demographics and in terms of scale to the adjacent freeway interchange and further energy corridor towers to the east and west.

By the looks of the material palette, I think Ziegler-Cooper designed this one (along with the two condo towers at uptown park and the catholic cathedral downtown). I have unofficially likened this iconic tower as the "Fabergé egg" bldg. Aesthetics-wise, it is appropriate for the area's demographics and in terms of scale to the adjacent freeway interchange and further energy corridor towers to the east and west.

Not a big fan of this building, but when I drove by it the other night, all the lights were on, including the skyward facing spotlights from the roof and the crown. I gotta admit that it looked pretty cool...

...Aesthetics-wise, it is appropriate for the area's demographics ...

Curious about what you mean by this? Do the area's demographics fit with ostentatious, showy, useless bling? That is not my impression with the area.

In fact, that area is probably the most conservative area of Houston.

Curious about what you mean by this? Do the area's demographics fit with ostentatious, showy, useless bling? That is not my impression with the area.

In fact, that area is probably the most conservative area of Houston.

Thank you, it is a conservative design w/r/t other towers with similar budgets. The memorial area is changing, as you can see in the daily demo's, the renovation of the mall, and the newly constructed lifestyle center.

When I was a first year architecture student, many sayings were iterated by the professors but the one that has filtered it's way into the populous the most is probably "taste, not space."

If the area and demographics were considered, I would have expected a higher quality design. For me this building looks like it was the victim of the all too often seen attitude of "how cheaply it can be done takes precedence over quality" tone that appears to have settled in Houston over the past 15 years. Possibly because of the area, the crown was decided upon to give a false appearance of quality, but it didn't work in my eyes.

Archived