3 hours ago, VinnyVincent said:

No I don't really see where you are going. See unlike some of the "experts" commenting on these threads; I actually live/commute not just in Houston, but on 290 and 288 daily.

Even AFTER they had 290 ripped up and started paving... it's taken them longer to simply flatten out the surface than it has for the 288 crew to pave the entire road.

So you're saying the 288 crew has already paved the entire road?  Wow!  That WAS fast work.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Work is steadily moving along. I haven't been south of 610 in a while, but from what I've seen, they've laid down pavement for the toll lanes between 610 and Yellowstone. All of the columns are just about complete for the 610 interchange and the columns for the Holly Hall overpass are up. Columns are going up for the ramps to and from Holcombe and they've started work on widening the overpasses at Blodgett, Wheeler, and Cleburne. I've seen some orange barrels going on up the Southmore overpass, which is going to be replaced. Funny thing is some group, possibly the Greater Southeast Management District, had the esplanade of Southmore at 288 landscaped with new aggregate cobblestone pavement just a few weeks ago. I thought it was odd knowing that it would be ripped up soon. A few days after it was completed, it was ripped up. I wonder how much that error cost?

• Like 1

On 10/24/2017 at 5:43 PM, kennyc05 said:

Like the stupid idea to landscape the 288 median years back they should have landscaped the sides of the freeway.

Those trees prevented rubbernecking slow downs when there was a wreck on the opposite side of the freeway. At least they lasted over 10 years. I'm hoping some of them will stay because the entire median won't be utilized for toll lanes in that section.

3 hours ago, Twitter1 said:

610 East is down to one lane right now? Sounds like a nightmare during rush hour.

I don't think it's down to one lane. Anytime it's down to one lane it's past 9 or 10pm and usually back open to 3 or so lanes by 5am.

Photos taken 29-October-201720171029-0003-1600.thumb.jpg.2cdb23618fa9585774f7cbb753536f9b.jpg

Looking north from Holly Hall

20171029-0006-1600.thumb.jpg.cbad69dcdd031a5c2d93438427fc54e9.jpg

Looking north from Holly Hall

20171029-0017-1600.thumb.jpg.78c3e21568387e715f75d6cfac653711.jpg

Looking north from Yellowstone, with the piers for the connection to Holcombe visible

20171029-0022-1900.thumb.jpg.89761ca75f2a88f7a051336657c8edcf.jpg

Looking north from Yellowstone

20171029-0028-1600.thumb.jpg.da770f2e50875d8b589cb63bb47dfc79.jpg

Looking north from Holcombe, with rebar forms for the piers for the connection to Holcombe visible on the ground.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was driving south down 288 near 610 today and saw a sign that said a traffic shift was coming up this weekend. I think this is going to be the first instance of traffic using the new concrete pavement as I could see crews putting up center barriers on the newly laid pavement in the middle.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, IronTiger said:

I assume Burger King gets demo'd for the direct connector ramps? Well. I need to see the Gulf/Ace Hardware too soon as that seems to be on the hit list as well. Where are the site plans for this?

The Burger King is staying. The ramp will curve around and enter Holcombe where Ardmore St. is now.

On 11/13/2017 at 11:24 AM, Triton said:

Does anyone have the schematics for this project? Think we had mentioned it before here previously.

Are the latest on this page in the schematic section? Most are dated 2013.

http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/houston/sh288-toll-lanes/project-documents.html

I haven't seen any newer schematics besides the ones dated 2013. I do know that the interchange with 288 is going to be different than what the schematics provide. For one thing, the schematics show Holly Hall being depressed and 288 going over it, but as of now, a new Holly Hall overpass over 288 is under construction. 

On 11/15/2017 at 1:53 AM, JLWM8609 said:

I haven't seen any newer schematics besides the ones dated 2013. I do know that the interchange with 288 is going to be different than what the schematics provide. For one thing, the schematics show Holly Hall being depressed and 288 going over it, but as of now, a new Holly Hall overpass over 288 is under construction. 

pun intended??!!!

On 11/15/2017 at 1:53 AM, JLWM8609 said:

as of now, a new Holly Hall overpass over 288 is under construction. 

13 hours ago, samagon said:

pun intended??!!!

Probably not... "the overpass is going up" would be the dad joke (or worse, the uncle joke).

• 5 weeks later...

I was at the Almeda Post Office yesterday and saw some door hangers laid out on a counter that said the Southmore Blvd. overpass at 288 will be closed for 12-18 months for demolition and reconstruction starting in January 2018. Traffic crossing 288 on Southmore will have to detour to Blodgett or Calumet/Binz depending on direction of travel. I'm surprised that they can't construct the new overpass while the current overpass is standing like they're doing over at the Holly Hall overpass.

Garnet Coleman addresses the closure in his column: http://stylemagazine.com/news/2017/dec/06/coleman-chronicles-southmore-blvd-bridge-highway-c/

Edited by JLWM8609

• 1 month later...

So, it looks like the "express lanes" construction also involves a total rebuild of the 288/610 interchange. This includes a temporary situation where the 288 S exit (eastbound) from 610 has gone from its 2013 reconstruction (two lanes splitting off from 610 to two lanes on 288 instead of one lane turning into two) to a scary exit-only lane with a really sharp turn. The original 288 interchange wasn't bad in itself (unless you were a truck with a penchant for going too fast), with the only most obnoxious part having the 288 North exit being BEFORE the 288 South exit, if you were going eastbound on 610. Westbound made a little more sense, with the traditional "exit and split" routine seen at the other interchanges. The rebuild seems to place the ramps at the same level and does not address the fact that the westbound 610 frontage road is not contiguous.

Went down 288 recently, and the construction stretches all the way past beltway 8.  Their actually creating an interchange and beltway 8 (as opposed to exit and sit at a light), and the widening of the road seems to continue for miles after. 

They demolished all the greenery in the median between Southmore and Binz/Calumet yesterday. I wondered why they planted those trees there in the first place in 2006 knowing that toll lanes would cause them to be ripped out in the not too distant future. One thing I liked about the greenery was that it eliminated rubbernecking when there was an accident on the opposing side.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2018 at 2:26 PM, JLWM8609 said:

They demolished all the greenery in the median between Southmore and Binz/Calumet yesterday. I wondered why they planted those trees there in the first place in 2006 knowing that toll lanes would cause them to be ripped out in the not too distant future. One thing I liked about the greenery was that it eliminated rubbernecking when there was an accident on the opposing side.

1 hour ago, samagon said:

it's quite sad actually, that freeway was one of the most beautiful in all of Houston, especially when all the wildflowers were doing their thing.

Wasn't a fan of the trees in the median. They should have been planted on the sides!

Edited by kennyc05

• 5 weeks later...

At the 610 Interchange, they actually have the southbound traffic on the new toll lanes - they're nice.  Looks like its going to be EZ-tag only - and where the scanners are there's a sign saying tolls not active

• 2 weeks later...