4 hours ago, Triton said:

Does anyone know how this is supposed to look (schematics) ?

There's a post earlier in the thread by MaxConcrete that had links to the schematics, but the website that hosts the images is down.

On 12/16/2020 at 11:51 AM, Triton said:

Yup. Way too close.

For those that don't know, to get to the Chenevert exit you essentially have to cut across two lanes immediately and hope there are no cars there when you do it. I am hoping TXDOT quickly realizes how dangerous this is and adds some traffic delineators to prevent people from trying to make that exit.

Flexstake Tubular Surface Mount Delineator - Parking and Traffic Supply

Those would help even though Houston drivers like to seem to take them out, but what they really need to do is add Chenevert to the I-69/US 59 exit sign from the toll lane as well. Signage clarity is lacking in some aspects of this project.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JLWM8609 said:

There's a post earlier in the thread by MaxConcrete that had links to the schematics, but the website that hosts the images is down.

Right, I saw his images are missing. And the link there doesn't really provide anything anymore. Oh well, thanks though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to TX 288 Toll Lane To Start Mid 2016
  • 1 month later...

A major pavement failure on 288 SB has shut down all lanes just south of 610. I've been watching the fissure slowly get worse over the last few months. It started as a crack which they filled with tar. When it got worse, they started an asphalt overlay. Then you could see the crack getting worse underneath the overlay over the past week or so. I'd started driving in the left lane to avoid it. Traffic is being detoured to the toll lanes with tolls waived between Southmore and Beltway 8. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Damaged-pavement-shuts-down-part-of-Texas-288-16110760.php 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, JLWM8609 said:

A major pavement failure on 288 SB has shut down all lanes just south of 610. I've been watching the fissure slowly get worse over the last few months. It started as a crack which they filled with tar. When it got worse, they started an asphalt overlay. Then you could see the crack getting worse underneath the overlay over the past week or so. I'd started driving in the left lane to avoid it. Traffic is being detoured to the toll lanes with tolls waived between Southmore and Beltway 8. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Damaged-pavement-shuts-down-part-of-Texas-288-16110760.php 

I saw those pics. What could possibly cause this? To the untrained eye it looks like bad compaction, wrong type of stabilized soil or just shoddy work by the contractor. Who is responsible for fixing this?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hindesky said:

I saw those pics. What could possibly cause this? To the untrained eye it looks like bad compaction, wrong type of stabilized soil or just shoddy work by the contractor. Who is responsible for fixing this?

According to what I've read, Blueridge is responsible.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hindesky said:

I wonder if the freeze had something to do with it? I've heard of potholes getting worse from the cycle of freezing and thawing. Could it have destabilized the soil underneath? There's also buckling in the retaining wall and embankment slope.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Drivers still diverted to toll lanes along Texas 288 as company researches reason for collapse

Drivers concerned with the collapse are not the only ones unsure of Blueridge. Thursday, credit rating agency Fitch Ratings reaffirmed its BBB- rating for Blueridge and said its outlook remains negative. Analysts in a commentary that accompanied the rating said their decision was based on “potential negative economic headwinds of opening during the coronavirus pandemic, including potentially lower congestion in the corridor and less willingness to pay tolls over the near to medium term.”

• Like 6

Wow, i didn't realize how bad the collapse was. They had to remove a huge area.

To add to JLWM's list from January about problems found with the 288 project so far.. when driving south, I noticed there is no exit/signage from the main lanes to the Beltway. Only a beltway frontage road exit off to the right, even though you can exit the main lanes into the toll lanes, and then go up the toll ramp directly onto the beltway that way. Im not sure why there's no signage for that, or why they didn't make a nice defined double merge from the mainlanes and the toll lanes into one exit ramp like they did from the south side of the beltway going north..?

Also.. Are the southmore pedestrian bridges completed? I haven't gone up top to check them out yet, but from underneath they sure look bare, not the nice lush renderings we initially saw.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 2:24 AM, cloud713 said:

To add to JLWM's list from January about problems found with the 288 project so far.. when driving south, I noticed there is no exit/signage from the main lanes to the Beltway. Only a beltway frontage road exit off to the right, even though you can exit the main lanes into the toll lanes, and then go up the toll ramp directly onto the beltway that way. Im not sure why there's no signage for that, or why they didn't make a nice defined double merge from the mainlanes and the toll lanes into one exit ramp like they did from the south side of the beltway going north..?

I think there's one little sign that tells you the cost to access the Tollway direct connector as well as as FM518 and Hwy 6 from that point instead of a big green sign like the northbound side. Not sure why they did that instead of a big green sign.

Southmore is generally done. They've planted a ton of trees and grass on the feeder by the bridge, its going to look green in a year or so. I think that portion looks nice. It makes the other bridges in the area look much more terrible however, so I hope they are getting redone or at least a paint job or some trees or something.

I hate the white piping they used for the pedestrian bridge though. Makes me think of that sort of crappy bridge into the neighborhood over there by gulfgate.

Edited by X.R.

11 hours ago, X.R. said:

Southmore is generally done. They've planted a ton of trees and grass on the feeder by the bridge, its going to look green in a year or so. I think that portion looks nice. It makes the other bridges in the area look much more terrible however, so I hope they are getting redone or at least a paint job or some trees or something.

I hate the white piping they used for the pedestrian bridge though. Makes me think of that sort of crappy bridge into the neighborhood over there by gulfgate.

The all-white is pretty bland. They were originally painting the bridge in the TxDOT Wave Design Scheme like the rest of the new bridges, but they stopped and painted it all white instead. The renderings showed the bridges in the wave scheme and also showed the pedestrian bridges using a more throwback style rail similar to what they did on the new Homestead overpass. https://goo.gl/maps/cBajZyxT9jaK7FTj7

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just took the exit ramp from 288 Northbound to Beltway 8 Westbound and the view of the Houston skyline(s) might be the most impressive in the city. I've been driving in Houston for over 20 years and been on pretty much every ramp in the city, and I was blown away. It looks like a smaller New York...pretty much a continuous skyline from the Galleria to that massive 288 view of downtown.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, por favor gracias said:

Just took the exit ramp from 288 Northbound to Beltway 8 Westbound and the view of the Houston skyline(s) might be the most impressive in the city. I've been driving in Houston for over 20 years and been on pretty much every ramp in the city, and I was blown away. It looks like a smaller New York...pretty much a continuous skyline from the Galleria to that massive 288 view of downtown.

take the recently opened ramp from 610 S to 45 N, it's impressive too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, samagon said:

I bet you're right. The new elevated portion of the Gulf Fwy northbound exit for 59 & 288 is probably my favorite ramp in the city at the moment. I can imagine how (pretty much) that same view would look from a few miles back. That's between 288 and the Ship Channel, which might be the most underrated view of the city.

Gonna have to hit that one up soon...appreciate the heads up.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, samagon said:

42 minutes ago, por favor gracias said:

I bet you're right. The new elevated portion of the Gulf Fwy northbound exit for 59 & 288 is probably my favorite ramp in the city at the moment. I can imagine how (pretty much) that same view would look from a few miles back. That's between 288 and the Ship Channel, which might be the most underrated view of the city.

Gonna have to hit that one up soon...appreciate the heads up.

Don't forget the new 610 southbound in the Galleria area to 59 north. 

• Like 3

Yeah, that's a nice view too. Love how you first notice the med center when first turning "north" on the ramp, which looks like a small city in itself...then the museum district buildings, then Greenway Plaza right there in front of you practically connecting with Upper Kirby with downtown looming in the background and everything in between. Just coming up 610 from Bellaire going over 59 is a great view of the city.

Of course I'm in the passenger seat when all this is going on...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to What's With All The Cops On Highway 288?

Drove down 288 for the first time in a while to meet my newborn's pediatrician in TMC and I am so disappointed with this project. 

Yea, the toll road looks great but usually these sort of projects try to improve the feeders, bridges, sidewalks, etc. The Old Spanish Trail section shows very little sign of improvement except for the ramps to the toll road. The bridges and pedestrian walkways look like could have, at the very least, gotten a new coat of paint. The feeder roads are full of cracks and bumps. This is the first highway project I've seen in a while where they truly didn't care about the residents immediately on this highway in the loop. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Triton said:

Drove down 288 for the first time in a while to meet my newborn's pediatrician in TMC and I am so disappointed with this project. 

Yea, the toll road looks great but usually these sort of projects try to improve the feeders, bridges, sidewalks, etc. The Old Spanish Trail section shows very little sign of improvement except for the ramps to the toll road. The bridges and pedestrian walkways look like could have, at the very least, gotten a new coat of paint. The feeder roads are full of cracks and bumps. This is the first highway project I've seen in a while where they truly didn't care about the residents immediately on this highway in the loop. 

The only original bridges over 288 to get a new coat of paint during this project were utility bridges. Go figure.

• Like 4

On 8/6/2021 at 4:25 PM, Triton said:

yeah its weird, I would have thought they would have redone all the bridges to be similar to the new Southmore bridge which I think is the only one that was redone. They did plant trees by that bridge, and some new trees on the side of the walls on various parts of 288 just past 610 going north, but not much else. Doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason as to why they put the new trees in. I was thinking if they didn't redo the bridges or the walkways why they didn't just plant trees/vegetation consistently in the wall/feeder sections with grass (helps with flooding!). A strange highway update, but effective! It moves people!