9 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Oh no!!!!  The feeder will be shut down for SEVERAL WEEKS!!  How will we get through this nightmare?  (And does it actually have anything to do with the I-45 project?  I thought nothing was starting on that until later this year.)

I went to the meeting tonight and here's what I found out.

• A 96 inch storm sewer line is being installed underneath the feeder from the 288/59 interchange to N. MacGregor with an output to Brays Bayou. The feeder will be closed in phases. The first phase will close the NB feeder between N. MacGregor and Binz. The second phase will close the feeder between Binz and Southmore. The final phase will close the feeder between Southmore and Cleburne. The entire feeder will not be closed during the project, and the N. MacGregor and Southmore exits from 288 NB will remain open during the entirety of this project. When the section between N. MacGregor and Binz will be closed, NB feeder traffic will detour westbound along N. MacGregor and north along Almeda to eastbound Binz to rejoin the NB feeder. The Binz exit will also be closed at that time and will be detoured to the N. MacGregor exit to follow the detour along Almeda. The entire project will be tentatively completed around Spring 2027.
  • This is not officially part of the NHHIP, but it's essentially getting ready for the additional drainage that's going to come with the new 288/59 interchange. Additionally, this project ends where the current terminus of the NB feeder is. The NHHIP will extend the NB feeder from its current terminus to join the current feeder on Hamilton, so it will dovetail with that work. The first mainlane construction of the NHHIP will be at the 288/59 multiplex, so that work will be starting when this project is finishing up, so in a way, it feels like preliminary work before the official NHHIP begins.  
Edited by JLWM8609
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, JLWM8609 said:

The NHHIP will extend the NB feeder from its current terminus to join the current feeder on Hamilton, so it will dovetail with that work.

Correction: should be Chartres, not Hamilton

• 1 month later...

The Stop I-45 group is trying to stop this drainage project. Their reasoning is TxDOT has claimed it's not part of the NHHIP to skirt air monitoring requirements.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/288-construction-drainage-txdot-19375066.php 

Local residents have concerns too. Honestly, I was at the last meeting and while I believe they dropped the ball on notifying the community on the project, the project is a plus if it reduces flooding. It's not like properties will be taken.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/residents-against-third-ward-txdot-project/285-e951da49-6cf8-425f-8369-9ccdf40dc6dc

• Like 2

On 3/30/2024 at 11:34 AM, JLWM8609 said:

The Stop I-45 group is trying to stop this drainage project. Their reasoning is TxDOT has claimed it's not part of the NHHIP to skirt air monitoring requirements.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/288-construction-drainage-txdot-19375066.php 

Local residents have concerns too. Honestly, I was at the last meeting and while I believe they dropped the ball on notifying the community on the project, the project is a plus if it reduces flooding. It's not like properties will be taken.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/residents-against-third-ward-txdot-project/285-e951da49-6cf8-425f-8369-9ccdf40dc6dc

The point is the Feds told them they can't start construction yet and they're acting as though this drainage project isn't part of the bigger 45 reroute when it is. At the end of the day TxDOT doesn't care. Even the rep they had at the Baker Institute Transit Forum didn't hold back in letting everyone know that TxDOT's only priority is moving people fast. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

The point is the Feds told them they can't start construction yet and they're acting as though this drainage project isn't part of the bigger 45 reroute when it is. At the end of the day TxDOT doesn't care. Even the rep they had at the Baker Institute Transit Forum didn't hold back in letting everyone know that TxDOT's only priority is moving people fast. 

The fed construction pause was lifted more than a year ago.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

my understanding is that the reason is because the expansion project is only permitted to proceed after a mandated air monitoring for an entire year, since TXDoT isn't classifying this as part of the i45 expansion, they didn't do the air monitoring, the people who are protesting state that it is.

TXDoT's priority isn't moving people fast, their priority is making freeways so people can move themselves. if TXDoT were interested in moving people fast, we'd have bullet trains everywhere, and plenty of commuter rail, as well as more localized rail projects that focused on moving the highest volume of people as quickly as possible.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, samagon said:

my understanding is that the reason is because the expansion project is only permitted to proceed after a mandated air monitoring for an entire year, since TXDoT isn't classifying this as part of the i45 expansion, they didn't do the air monitoring, the people who are protesting state that it is.

TXDoT's priority isn't moving people fast, their priority is making freeways so people can move themselves. if TXDoT were interested in moving people fast, we'd have bullet trains everywhere, and plenty of commuter rail, as well as more localized rail projects that focused on moving the highest volume of people as quickly as possible.

They literally said that word for word at the forum. "Our goal is to move people fast." And you think TxDOT is going to admit this is part of the 45 reroute?

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1