Downtown Real Estate

cr186783

I don't think something like that would work well here in the states, at least not until there are more people there.

I say if you want to suppor tthis, show up yourself. :)

I plan on it sometime this or next week if it's possible.

It's amazing how we all root for something to continue, but rarely go to the business/event to support it, and then we whine when it does close.

Ricco

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Artists selling their creations in Market Square, or another downtown park, would be a great weekend activity especially as more people start coming downtown on the weekends. In several US cities this type of activity is very successful -- Union Square in San Francisco is one example.

I read somewhere that they want to bring lots of activity to that place, (Chron, I think) and they might even bring vendors and stuff in or something.

This is an interesting topic (downtown grocery store) - one which I have struggled with a lot recently.

The same issue has been plaguing Dallas, although the City Council recently approved TIF funds for the redevelopment of an old Interurban Rail station that are contingent upon an urban grocery opening and continuing to operate - so there may be one here soon.

But, regarding the general concept of a downtown grocer, you need people living there who will shop there. Downtown Houston has that, but maybe not the same numbers that the "traditional" suburban stores have.

So any downtown stores will have to charge a "convenience" premium. This is fine when you need something, but I would guess that a majority of the downtown dwellers, when given the opportunity, would shop further out to get the better bargain. (it's kinda the American way). This may cause the downtown grocer to raise prices further or give up all together.

I feel like I am being 'Debbie Downer', but until downtown has enough people to support a traditional store by itself (even with the inconvenience of reduced parking, etc.), I think downtown grocers will be hard to come by or be very expensive.

I was always partial to the Boston grocery idealogy. There are many specialty stores usually neighborhood specific and culturally specific and then the only real "Super Market" available was Star Market. The one I frequented was near Boston University and was about 7 rail stops from my flat. The building was multilevel with the shopping done upstairs with checkout and if you drove you would go get your car and us the downstairs drivethrough where your groceries would be waiting in bins having come down a conveyer belt and get loaded into your car by the attendent. You just hand him the cards you have that tell him which bins are yours.

I usually just bought enough for 2 bags so I could use the T to get back home. But as far as just needing vegetables, bread or milk there was always some mom and pop around the corner with likely a better product.

Hey Lowbrow-

That Star Market was nifty. I used to shop there quite a bit. However, Star has since been bought out by Shaw's. Shaw's actually just opened a HUGE store in the Prudential Center Mall right between Copley Mall and the Pru Mall. That place does a booming business.

Also, Whole Foods (formerly Bread and Circus) has a smaller prototype store right next to Symphony Hall. It's smaller than their average store but works out quite well.

In the South End, there are corner stores every three blocks or so and then there is Foodie's Urban Market. Foodie's rocks. It's on Washington Street in what used to be a really rough area (the Cathedral Housing Project is across the street) but now that Washington Street is a gateway street full of $500,000 condos, the mixture of shoppers at Foodies is unbeatable... Ricans from the Villa, blacks from the Cathedral, homos from the South End, and DINKs in the new condo lofts!

This is an interesting topic (downtown grocery store) - one which I have struggled with a lot recently.

"But, regarding the general concept of a downtown grocer, you need people living there who will shop there. Downtown Houston has that, but maybe not the same numbers that the "traditional" suburban stores have."

"I feel like I am being 'Debbie Downer', but until downtown has enough people to support a traditional store by itself (even with the inconvenience of reduced parking, etc.)"

--------------------------------------------

If they build it, I will shop. You are right that the density is just not there. Even though there are around 2,500 to 3,000 of us it is not in one or two blocks. And that is the key. The store would have to be close enough that car crazy Houstonians would walk to it. Just thinking I would walk about 4 to 6 blocks to shop. Others will not cross the street.

Yeah I took my girlfriend in there one night... it was one of the only clubs in the area with music that was neither bump'n'grind nor disco. Dropped quick cash. Had a bad experience with some fruity scented air and a Apple Martini.... Jolly Rancher Hell.

Wont be doing it again.

Even if I wasn't unemployed and had the disposable income I used to have, I wouldn't waste my money or time on one of these places. Breathing a little pure oxygen through a tube that's been scented? Please, I don't have to pay for that. I can spray some air freshener in the room, walk through the mist, and take a deep breath and get the same experience. If I was looking to open a club downtown I certainly wouldn't have jumped on this fad -- in a year, maybe two, everyone will have forgotten the whole craze.

But, regarding the general concept of a downtown grocer, you need people living there who will shop there.  Downtown Houston has that, but maybe not the same numbers that the "traditional" suburban stores have. 

So any downtown stores will have to charge a "convenience" premium.  This is fine when you need something, but I would guess that a majority of the downtown dwellers, when given the opportunity, would shop further out to get the better bargain. (it's kinda the American way).  This may cause the downtown grocer to raise prices further or give up all together.

Before any new supermarkets are built anywhere near the CBD, the Randall's in Midtown will have to perk up considerably. Following the theory that one should put his money where his mouth is, I've tried to make a habit of shopping there, but it's...it's sad.

Tonight I was there at 8:30 and there were maybe five other customers in the store. The butcher counter had closed, some of the produce had already been covered up, the selection of fresh meat was scant and expensive, and produce costs 2-3 times as much as at other nearby grocery stores. Spec's produce seems to be of higher quality at a lower price, with nearly as broad a selection. The selection of cheeses at Randall's is pathetic, but with Spec's across the street, why bother?

I really hope Randall's can make it, but it appears that there's not the local support they were hoping for. And if Randall's folds, I imagine others will not be rushing in to take their place.

Out of curiousity, where do other Midtown/Neartown residents shop? Aside from Randall's I go to Disco Kroger (on Montrose) or that dreadful Fiesta on San Jacinto.

I'd guess that the Midtown Randall's is doing alright; you just happened to go during a slow time of day. I think if you went to any grocery store at 8:30 on a Friday night, you would see the same thing. People tend to grocery shop right after work or during the day on weekends.

I don't do major shopping at Randalls because they're expensive (all the Randalls are), but it's great for picking up a few things, and they always seem fairly busy to me.

Hello,

I am the owner of Blue Moon Cinemas.  We are doing the Market Square movies and would love for you all to come.  The next series will be planned for early Spring but you can go to our website www.bmcinemas.com and look at our schedule.  We will be posting new events for our 2005 season. 

Thanks

Blue Moon Cinemas

What can we do to make it a permanent event @ Market Square? This past weekend was the largest crowd yet. If it continues, the crowd would only get bigger.

Living in Central Square, the Midtown Randall's used to be my main grocery store. The place does a brisk business, even though it is overpriced. I guess if you can afford to live in Camden, you can afford the convenience.

Main Street Food Store is anything but. It's one of the shadiest businesses I've ever seen in operation. Not only will you never pay the same price twice, if you're not paying attention, you'll pay double. The liqour is unbelievably underpriced but they make that up by overcharging you after you've had a few. (too many) With a scary Russian accent Colombian looking guard sitting in a booth in front armed to the teeth, it wouldn't surprise me if half the items being sold on the shelf are stolen off the back of a truck. Scary place run by scary people frequented by even scarier people. Sorry if I'm offending anybodies cousin or uncles here, but it's the truth.

I can verify that the Midtown Randall's does pretty good business during the middle of the day (saym, 9:00 AM to about 5:00 PM). Lots of downtown and Midtown workers go there for lunch and surprisingly, a lot of the local residents choose that time to do their shopping.

They also appear to be fairly busy on Saturday afternoons.

Frankly, from what I've seen, there are a lot of grocery stores that are pretty empty after nine o'clock in the evening. There's a Randall's near my cousin's off Fry Road in Katy and that place is almost always empty. Same with the Fiesta on Hwy 6 @ Clay Road near my girlfriend's place.

Out of curiousity, where do other Midtown/Neartown residents shop? Aside from Randall's I go to Disco Kroger (on Montrose) or that dreadful Fiesta on San Jacinto.

I shop at the Fiesta at the corner of Dunlavey and Alabama...it's a GREAT alternative to the on on San Jac and the produce is exceptional. Living a few blocks from the Randall's, I only use it for a quick stop to pick up one item...like a gallon or milk...or in some cases, i'll go there to pick up some Starbucks...

Midtown needs a real Starbucks...another gripe for a another thread though.

What can we do to make it a permanent event @ Market Square? This past weekend was the largest crowd yet. If it continues, the crowd would only get bigger.

To make this a permanent event we will need sponsors for each date. We are planning our sponsor package in the first part of 2005. If you or anybody you know would consider helping out, email me at info@bmcinemas.com. I can fill you in on all the details.

Happy Holidays

Jim

Before any new supermarkets are built anywhere near the CBD, the Randall's in Midtown will have to perk up considerably. Following the theory that one should put his money where his mouth is, I've tried to make a habit of shopping there, but it's...it's sad.

Tonight I was there at 8:30 and there were maybe five other customers in the store. The butcher counter had closed, some of the produce had already been covered up, the selection of fresh meat was scant and expensive, and produce costs 2-3 times as much as at other nearby grocery stores. Spec's produce seems to be of higher quality at a lower price, with nearly as broad a selection. The selection of cheeses at Randall's is pathetic, but with Spec's across the street, why bother?

I really hope Randall's can make it, but it appears that there's not the local support they were hoping for. And if Randall's folds, I imagine others will not be rushing in to take their place.

Not packed on a Friday night???? You don't say.... LOL j/k :blink:

Seriously, that place does great business...it is where we always go as Midtown residents.

Would it have to be a Starbucks or would any coffee house do?

Glen

From a coffee standpoint, i'm actually quite happy with Tropioca. However, from a commercial validation standpoint, I'd like to see a Starbucks. You see all these Starbucks popping up all over the place and somehow Midtown doesn't have one (excpetion Randalls), and I'm curious as to why the market isn't attractive to them. I would consider it an 'indicator' of sorts...

I like the coffee sure...but I'd like to see corporate America confident in this area.

I'd rather see the "commercial validation" from someone other than Starbucks, like Dietrichs. Starbucks is just a little too corporate for my taste - they are always trying to sell you CDs or pastries or coffee equipment or whatnot, plus they play obnoxious canned music way too loud. Dietrichs has free refills, free WiFi, and they skip the corporate clone act ("Would you like some fresh pastry with that today?"). I would just rather have a good coffee place nearby than worry about being "validated" by the likes of Starbucks. OK, end of my rant for today. :D