Downtown Real Estate

cr186783

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I lived in Houston, I used the Angelika Theater all the time for movies. That place seems to do well (or at least it did).

The worst thing going for Bayou Place (and the Wortham and Aquarium for that matter) is that it is located in a sort of no man's land. You take your life in danger when trying to walk around there as all of the Westsiders who are fleeing downtown in their luxury vehicles speed through that area as Prairie becomes a freeway just past the light at Brazos.

One thing that could save the area is the Buffalo Bayou Master Plan. If they could link the places with a nice walkway that is safe, well-lit, attractive, and well marked with signs, then we might have something. I noticed last time that I was in town that some sort of work is taking place along the bayou right there. Lets hope its something more than just flood control!

Also, hopefully then the Hobby Center will realize it's grave mistake (turning its back to the Bayou and plopping down an eyesore of a garage on the banks). Maybe they will rip that pink crappy car holder down and add an addition that looks out onto the banks!

One thing that could save the area is the Buffalo Bayou Master Plan. If they could link the places with a nice walkway that is safe, well-lit, attractive, and well marked with signs, then we might have something. I noticed last time that I was in town that some sort of work is taking place along the bayou right there. Lets hope its something more than just flood control!

Also, hopefully then the Hobby Center will realize it's grave mistake (turning its back to the Bayou and plopping down an eyesore of a garage on the banks). Maybe they will rip that pink crappy car holder down and add an addition that looks out onto the banks!

Hear! Hear! What I would like to see would be the concrete shell behind Bayou Place that was never developed torn down and turned into park space leading down to the bayou, with a wide pedestrian walkway built along Bagby between the Hobby Center and the Aquarium to link them with Bayou Place. It would also help to redesign the "Fish Plaza" in front of the Wortham to better open it up to Texas Ave. Right now the landscaping tends to block the Wortham from the street and isolate it. The plaza should be as open as possible and well lit to form a centerpiece linking Bayou Place, the Alley, and the Aquarium.

I'd go for another Ice Rink. :)

Am I right in assuming that Memorial City and the Galleria are Houston's only rinks?

Isn't there some kind of Tennis Club downtown on top of a parking garage? Any info on that? (and yes... I'm going to do a web search for it right now)

I don't think Bayou Place is a total failure. The Verizon Theater packs people in all the time, and some of the other businesses seem to be doing well. Saturday night I saw a film at the Angelika (which I frequent about once a month) and the cafe was packed. The movie I saw was about 50% full, which wasn't great, but wasn't horrible either. Sake Lounge also seems to do fairly well.

As for Bayou Place being difficult to get to, I hear this from people all the time who I think really have no clue about the facility. There's ample parking, which I've never seen cost more than $5. And, if you go to the Angelika, they will take $5 off your movie ticket if you show your parking ticket, so parking is free. It's no more than a five minute walk down Texas Ave. from Main St., which I've done many times and never felt unsafe.

The Bayou Place tenants that have not done well have usually been ones that weren't "destination" venues -- they were too similar to many other bars and restaurants all over the city, so many people saw no point in going out of their way to visit them. In other cases, service or food has been poor, driving away customers. I don't think Cordish has been entirely to blame, and they have a good track record in other cities. It just seems to me that Bayou Place has struggled for a real identity, isn't well marketed to the public, and business owners have been reluctant to open new concepts there to attract people.

I don't think Cordish has been entirely to blame, and they have a good track record in other cities. It just seems to me that Bayou Place has struggled for a real identity, isn't well marketed to the public, and business owners have been reluctant to open new concepts there to attract people.

Well, sounds like most of that is the fault of Cordish.

Cordish was supposed to build another building to create an entertainment district. The Bars that were there did very well for four years. They left for other reasons besides lack of business. I remember going to Bar Houston last year and there would be over 500 people in-line.

Cordish has had some bad track records in other cities too if you look for them.

JFC brings up a good point. I remember reading an article about how some of the businesses that had already leased up space in Phase I were growing agitate by the failure to live up to the promise of adding retail and expanded entertainment with the Phase II.

I can't comment on how successful the bars were originally (I wasn't here) but I do remember reading an article that suggested that the concept's potential was being squandered.

I thought Phase II was scrapped becuase they wanted to do condos there instead.

They went back on their promise to the businesses that went in there. The condos are a secondary plan that was just suggested a few months ago b/c several of the original tenants pulled out. Phase II was supposed to be done years ago.

Market Square Market opens Feb. 12.

OPEN-AIR MARKET RETURNS TO DOWNTOWN

What once was old is new again. Its been years since downtown Houston has had a fresh-air market, but the time has come. The Residential and retail markets are expanding in Downtown and Houston Downtown Alliance is pleased to announce the opening of Market Square Market, in the heart of the historic district. Our goal: To develop a destination downtown for those looking to sell or buy "the out of the ordinary". Spend a Saturday browsing through the electric to the eclectic. Clothing, soaps, purses, jewelry, art, novelty items and more. Additionally, we hope to expand the market over time, to include Sundays.

We are looking for a variety of vendors. Currently, the market will be held every Saturday from 9:00am to 2:00pm. It will be a great opportunity to market your wares!! If you are interested or would simply like more information, please contact David Kozowski at david@downtownhouston.org.

Market Square Market opens Feb. 12.

OPEN-AIR MARKET RETURNS TO DOWNTOWN

What once was old is new again. Its been years since downtown Houston has had a fresh-air market, but the time has come. The Residential and retail markets are expanding in Downtown and Houston Downtown Alliance is pleased to announce the opening of Market Square Market, in the heart of the historic district. Our goal: To develop a destination downtown for those looking to sell or buy "the out of the ordinary". Spend a Saturday browsing through the electric to the eclectic. Clothing, soaps, purses, jewelry, art, novelty items and more. Additionally, we hope to expand the market over time, to include Sundays.

We are looking for a variety of vendors. Currently, the market will be held every Saturday from 9:00am to 2:00pm. It will be a great opportunity to market your wares!! If you are interested or would simply like more information, please contact David Kozowski at david@downtownhouston.org.

Hmmm. Might be cool if they only allow stuff from people's homes, not the usual new gar-bahj that you find at flea markets, cheap plastic junk.

i really enjoyed that article. perhaps it's because i live in the woodlands and would love to be a part of houston's downtown/midtown redevelopment. don't get me wrong, i LOVE the woodlands. however, i DO love all of the activities in and around our wonderful city, houston.

hmmmmm, why can't the "city" be as concerned about affordable housing downtown as it is with the expansion of the convention center and having a convention center hotel? certainly architects and developers would step up to the plate if the city showed some sort of interest (read investment opportunity, less than average profitability i'm sure, but something media noteworthy none the less).

kudos to all you "urban pioneers" for paving the way.

"We're just afraid we're going to be too old to enjoy it."

What a great statement. While we don't live in downtown, we live several blocks south in midtown...and our biggest fear is that by the time it all gets going, we won't be able to enjoy it...

This likely isn't true...but the sentiment encapsulates much of what midtowners (espeically midtown families) seem to be trying to rationalize.

So I headed into downtown on Saturday to look at some different loft possibilities. I parked my car at the Fannin South lot and took the light rail in. I was wandering around the Main Street Square area about 9am. The area seemed really dead. I was hoping to find a place to have some breakfast and coffee but no success. I didnt realize the tunnels were closed on weekends. I was downtown for about 8 hours and while I saw or walked past many homeless, I only got panhandled twice. I eventually had lunch at the Spagetti Warehouse.

I'll mention some of the places I looked at in case anyone else is looking. The first two places I looked at from the outside were the Capitol Lofts and the St. Germain Lofts. These are essentially the same building at Main and Capitol. The St. Germain Lofts are lease units that seem to be trying to get enough sale interest to convert. I was warned away from these, something about getting what you pay for. The St Germain is right on the corner of the building and looks across Capitol at the proposed sight of the Shamrock. I decided against these because of location. They are definately in the heart of things and I could see that being appealing to some but I think I'd rather be on the perifery looking in some... not quite dead center.

The next two buildings were in the historic district of downtown otherwise known as downtown - north. The Franklin Lofts are at 201 Main and was formerly known as the First National Bank. They suggest that they are the first "skyscraper" in Houston (built in 1904). The lofts occupy 3rd-8th floors. These were beautiful large lofts but also a little pricey (270's - 700's). The views of downtown and north to UHD and Buffalo Bayou were nice. Catty corner at 915 Franklin is the older Bayou Lofts. These are the units that seemed most my style. These were more in the 175-400k range. They also have wonderful views of downtown and the bayou. They lack the nice closet space seen across the street at the Franklin but beyond that it was very comparible.

After that I went and checked on the San Jacinto Lofts at 915 N. San Jacinto. They only had one unit left and it was on the north side of the building facing I-10 and a few run-down warehouses. Huge amount of space in these. Very high ceilings. The last unit was asking $199k. Sounds like they have been selling slow and they are motivated to get rid of this one. Here you are bounded by the correctional facility on the south, the metro police station on the east and I-10 and a few warehouses on the north. Not really my scene.

I also decided to skip the high-rises on the south side of town. Mainly the 2016 Main building. I just didn't care for the feel of the neighborhood. I do have a daughter that I would like to feel safe walking around the block with and I just didnt get that groove. Maybe it was because of the small village of homeless shacked out under I-45 there.

All and all it was time well spent. I wish i'd had my camara with me.

I was also told that that Islamic Temple at Franklin and Main (old bank building) is going to be sold and converted to something else. (owned by Kareem Abdul Jabar??) Supposedly they just couldnt work with the parking situation there.

Is that the Da'Wah Center?  I think that is owned by Hakeem Olajuwon. 

So...did you make your decision yet?

Yeah, Hakeem would make more sense.

I haven't yet decided. This is just one facet to my search. I have also been scoping out midtown and uptown. My target move-in is may. (if I'm not in Dubai, UAE at the time) So I have plenty of breathing space.