Downtown Real Estate

cr186783

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What most people don't realize is that, although oxygen is necessary to live, excess oxygen is not good for you. Breathing purified oxygen can irritate the respiratory system. In fact, people take antioxidants like vitamin E and C to prevent the free radicals caused by oxidation. Breathing this purified oxygen will do more harm then good to your health.

Ah, that buzz must be the sensation of your brain oxidizing.

• 1 month later...

There is already a fiesta near the line, a randals a brief walk or a drive from downtown (or a short drive to kroger's along Polk in the east end). I THINK there is another Fiesta or food town just on North main near Hogan.

IF a place is going to open, I would imagine it would have to be a moderately high-end pace like a Central Market or a flagship of one of hte major chains.

Ricco

Does anyone know the distribution of grocery stores in manhattan? ____ stores per square mile? ____ stores every ____blocks?

Well, after a brief search, I came across the following LINK that gives some clue as to how many there are.

i'm not familiar as to which chains are prominent up there, so i just did a general search. So that popped up quite a few mom and pops.

If anyone has a clue as to a more refined search or perhaps a major chain grocery store up there, then feel free to take over this search. ;)

Ricco

I've seen a lot of grocery stores in Manhattan but they aren't of the supermarket variety we're used to. They are typically very small and may be very focused on one area of merchandise, such as meat or produce. My cousin who lives in Manhattan off Central Park West shops in five or six stores to get what we'd buy in a single trip to Randalls or Kroger.

Does he talk about how many times a week he goes to the "market". I've had people from there tell me that instead of buying in bulk as most do in the suburbs, that they buy 1 or 2 meals at a time, and have to go to the store more than a few times a week to keep re-stocked.

Glen

You know, that makes alot of sense. everytime i've talked to people from there, they marvel at the size of our apartments (as well as the costs)! *i* don't do the usual grocery shopping for the reason mentioned; "no room".

perhaps the same thing will evolve here, small grocery stores with specialties. While the condos/lofts here are generous by NYC standards, there isn't a ton of room to storage of food.

Ricco

QUOTE(tw2ntyse7en @ Thursday, December 2nd, 2004 @ 11:47pm)

Does he talk about how many times a week he goes to the "market". I've had people from there tell me that instead of buying in bulk as most do in the suburbs, that they buy 1 or 2 meals at a time, and have to go to the store more than a few times a week to keep re-stocked.

Glen

You know, that makes alot of sense. everytime i've talked to people from there, they marvel at the size of our apartments (as well as the costs)! *i* don't do the usual grocery shopping for the reason mentioned; "no room".

perhaps the same thing will evolve here, small grocery stores with specialties. While the condos/lofts here are generous by NYC standards, there isn't a ton of room to storage of food.

Ricco

This makes loads of sense. In fact, this exchange may highlight exactly the reason that a rice epi or central market would LOVE to be downtown....

Glen

She only buys what she can carry in a single trip. Of course a lot of people use collapsible shopping carts to buy more and get it all home on the subway and bus without a big hassle, but she travels a lot for work and is single so she doesn't buy a week's worth of food for a family of four.

A few weeks ago when my car was out of commission I had a few experiences with grocery shopping using Metro. It really was not that bad if I didn't buy more than I could carry. I had no problem getting a few bags on the bus and train. Going nearly two weeks without a car really was not the hassle I imagined it to be. Yes it was less convenient but I was still able to go everywhere I normally would have.

Juniper,

So you understand we may be thinking about this totally wrong. We won't need an entire "supermarket' but rather a bunch of little markets with certain specialties. Afterall, if they carried the variety that most stores do, they would lose alot in spoilage alone!

geraminal,

welcome to the system. i hope you enjoy your stay.

in regards to a place to buy booze, i think the density would have to increase with potential customers before anyone would be willing to take on spec's down the road. *I* go to specs downtown and I don't live anywhere near it.

Ricco

Largetexas gave us a heads-up on this a few weeks ago. According to the print version of the HBJ (not online yet), outdoor movies will be shown at Market Square. Beginning December 4, films will be shown on a 50*30 foot inflatable screen at Market Square, each Saturday starting at 600PM. Features will include "Raiders of the Lost Ark" 12-4, "Back to the Future" 12-11, and "It's a Wonderful Life" on 12-18. Great idea - I hope they make it permanent.

If the intent is to bring people downtown, then all I can say is kudos for doing things that are different. Sure, there will be skeptics. But, if this brings, say, 100 people on average during a normally dead-time, and those people visit restaurants and such, then its all good.

Hey, got an idea. Why not allow local artists to set up shop in Market Square, sellling art, hand-made trinkets, etc? I saw this in a small park in Mexico City and it was the epicenter of the entire area. The place made the whole area bustle with activity.