Downtown Real Estate

cr186783

I wanted to watch Meet The Fockers and the Angelica is not showing it...I don't like to go outside of downtown but I was forced to do so. There was a lot of activity such as families, bars restaurants, and little shops. I thought that this would make a great plaza for downtown.

If people drive to 610/Silber why not to downtown? If you could get the parking situation resolved I think it could be a great spot.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there's any question it would work downtown provided that it was planned properly and other factors were in play:

1) Core population in or near downtown grows

2) Access to the complex is multifaceted and sensible

You have a mix of that in downtown already, but the problem is that that mix lacks connectivity. Want to party? Main Street isn't really near Bayou Place or Houston Center (Granted it's only three or four blocks but still).

Want to play? Bayou Place isn't really near Main Street or Houston Center.

Want to shop? Houston center isn't really near Main Street or Bayou Place?

Get what I'm saying?

If you could get the parking situation resolved I think it could be a great spot.

What parking situation? Downtown is swamped with parking. Parking availability would be the big advantage of locating downtown. Of course, the big disadvantage is the lack of bodies, but I think that once some major residential project finally gets off the ground, development like this will start coming in. On a another thread wasn't there a discussion about a potential plan to build a retail complex on Main?

Off topic: How was "Fockers"? I want to see that this weekend.

I think a project like this would definitely work in downtown. I don't understand why a project like this wouldn't get built until there is a large enough population mass living in downtown. If you take into account the close surrounding areas of downtown such as midtown, montrose, the heights, rice university, and u. of h. I think that population would definitely be willing to support a project like this. I mean people drive from all over the city to go downtown for their nightlife,dining, and the aquarium so why wouldn't they do the same for something like this. I think if it's unique then people will come. Let's face it there's no other place like downtown in Houston, where you can walk around and experience an urban environment. I think most people gravitate towards that and that's why they enjoy coming downtown. I think a project like the one they are proposing to build on those 4 empty lots off main street in south downtown would be perfect.

A project like this would work downtown, if it was revised a bit.

1: get rid of the parking lot

2: make it multistory

3: tie it in with the street better.

4: better architecture

5: perhaps try mixing in some residential

6:.......Im sure there is something else!

I don't think a Marq`e center would work simply because there isnt the availbe land there. The area at I-10 and 610 is close enough to down town to service the area.

An Edwards cinema would work though. A format like their Weslayan location would work quite well.

Perhaps Jillians could purchase some space (first 2-3 floors) of a new construction building there. I hear the Enron buildings have some space as well. I just don't think that right now, downtown could sustain it.

I don't think a Marq`e center would work simply because there isnt the availbe land there.  The area at I-10 and 610 is close enough to down town to service the area.

An Edwards cinema would work though.  A format like their Weslayan location would work quite well.

Perhaps Jillians could purchase some space (first 2-3 floors) of a new construction building there.  I hear the Enron buildings have some space as well.  I just don't think that right now, downtown could sustain it.

Yeah, it was the same developer as that huge project that is soo successful in DT Denver.

As Bayou Place seems to be dying some I was thinking of possibly some concepts that might help...

Joe's Crab Shack or Cadillac Bar maybe...

Hooters

House of Blues

Rick's Cabaret

a country/western club maybe

Then add some shopping in to that mix if they can or an art gallery or two...

any other ideas?

Van's Skatepark died at the Marq*E but I wonder if it would have any chance downtown, especially with the tens or dozens of punkers skating around downtown in the evenings.

What downtown needs is something new, hip and innovative. Not something that could be found anywhere else in the city. I understand where Duce is going but given the type of people who live near downtown and work downtown, you'll need something that's fresh.

If someone can go to a Cadillac Bar in Kemah or on the west side, they probably won't be driving in to downtown. Same with a Chilli's, Black Eyed Pea and so forth.

You need something that's kind of original.

BTW,

Is it me or is the empty building sitting due north of the Aquarium across Prairie just screaming for something touristy like a wax museum or cowboy hall of fame (all right, all right... don't get nervous, just using that second one as an example)?

Is it me or is the empty building sitting due north of the Aquarium across Prairie just screaming for something touristy like a wax museum or cowboy hall of fame

Good point. Now that you mention it, is IS screaming for something like that. The current Bayou Place was originally supposed to be the convention center and a Space Hall of Fame, but I don't think the space part ever happened.

I didn't realize that Bayou Place wasn't doing that well. It seems like any number of things might work there. The skate park is a good idea, or maybe a bowling alley. Maybe it would be a safer bet to go more mainstream than hip. It depends maybe if they're targeting visitors or downtown residents/workers. Remember that a lot of the potential visitors are spillover from the theaters and the aquarium who would be perfectly happy with something like Joe's Crab Shack, Papasitos, or an Olive Garden. Nobody's going to drive in for those, but once they are downtown a lot of those visitors and downtown workers might feel comfortable with something familiar and "safe". Go with the brand names.

Doesn't Tillman have several restaurants clustered together in Kemah?