One Park Place: Multifamily At 1400 McKinney St.

GovernorAggie

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sadly...........I think they are pricing those apts. way out there.....I can't see it filling up with those prices.....lowest starting at $1400/month, and probably about 1 or 2 at that price.

These will rent. Their sister property, the Museum Tower, does very well and I have yet to see them run a special. There is always a market for a property as unique as this one.

I agree that Finger will get their price. These will be top of the line and clearly the best rentals in downtown.

I'd be surprised if quite a few of downtown's larger companies didn't lock some of these up for their higher ups and out of town visitors. These would also be good places to make an impression on new recruits. Since we don't seem to be educating enough grads in Texas, recruitment from areas such as the Northeast and Cali are key. Offering up a swanky pad (that would cost upwards of $10,000-$20,000 in cities like SF, Boston, NYC, etc...) overlooking a vibrant park and a re-energized downtown within walking distance to the arts, MLB, NBA, and bars could go a long way in getting the best and brightest into town. That's my guess.

You're very much on the ball. I once had the opportunity to lay eyes on Museum Tower's rent roll. The dearth of youthful tenants and the large number of foreign tenants was amazing. There aren't a whole lot of apartment buildings like these, anywhere in Houston.

Ditto. Of course the Museum Tower is in a great setting too... a stone's throw from Montrose, the Museum district, the Medical Center, and the rail line. We need Finger Co. to build more properties in Houston b/c they really encourage sustainable living.

Seriously... expensive!

My biggest concern when I heard they would be building a residential tower downtown was the target price range. Of course I'm all for residential but I'm worried that if they overprice the units it will attract the type of people who won't acvtively contribute to downtown. I was hoping for just slightly more expensive than MidTown because those are working professionals and they will visit the park, the pavilions, the sports venues, main street etc. When you increase the rents you enter a group of people who are wealthy...true, but this may be a second residence to their weekend home in the surburbs. Or possiblythey make too much do identify with the working professional class which is what downtown will need to increase the momentum. Can you imagine someone making 500,000 a year as the average urban street contributer?

Can you imagine someone making 500,000 a year as the average urban street contributer?

Citing average income levels is a little misleading. There are 808-square-foot units priced as low as about $1,485 per month, well within the price range of someone like myself (24yo, s/m, 2 undergrad degrees)...if I were so inclined. ...but I don't like the style of the building at all. The architecture is imitative and stodgy.

All the same, even someone (or more accurately, a household) making $500k per year isn't going to live in a vacuum up there. They'll probably eat out quite a bit more than someone like myself, and then at very nice restaurants.

Citing average income levels is a little misleading. There are 808-square-foot units priced as low as about $1,485 per month, well within the price range of someone like myself (24yo, s/m, 2 undergrad degrees)...if I were so inclined. ...but I don't like the style of the building at all. The architecture is imitative and stodgy.

All the same, even someone (or more accurately, a household) making $500k per year isn't going to live in a vacuum up there. They'll probably eat out quite a bit more than someone like myself, and then at very nice restaurants.

:o Niche - Pardon my candor, but I took you for an old man. I'm shocked.

I agree that they will rent. The Museum Tower has no problem filling up at similar prices, so I doubt One Park Place will have problems either. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt that the Finger Companies built OPP for the young urban professional crowd. There are plenty of $1400 apartment units in midtown for the rest of us.

but the young urban professional crowd is what we want.......those who will be goign to the bars constantly and dropping mad cash on jager bombs and clothing. Having more of us young professionals can also attract more shopping downtonw.

I wouldn't be surprised if some HAIFers were under the impression that Red is a very youthful 80. :lol:

EDIT:

You kids get off Niche's lawn.

WHAT!!!!

Man, this is why you have to read every post. You never know when you are being insulted on an obscure topic.

Oh, and you NIMBY's get off my lawn, too! And take your crapping dogs with you! :D

but the young urban professional crowd is what we want.......those who will be goign to the bars constantly and dropping mad cash on jager bombs and clothing. Having more of us young professionals can also attract more shopping downtonw.

What you want, and what property owners want are not the same thing. New residential construction in the central business district does not make sense, unless you offer a truly luxurious product with corresponding luxurious prices. It

What you want, and what property owners want are not the same thing. New residential construction in the central business district does not make sense, unless you offer a truly luxurious product with corresponding luxurious prices. It's easy to post and hit the submit button without thinking it over too much, but when your money is on the line; it's a whole different story.

But it's not like Downtown is hurting for residential inventory. If you want a true Downtown living experience you can purchase a generously sized unit in Kirby Lofts with Downtown views and be literally steps away from the light rail for under $230K. But guess what? There are not too many takers. YUP types say they want to live in Downtown but they don't really mean it. Most Houstonian's are not willing to sacrifice free parking for themselves and their guests at the expense of living in Downtown.

Maybe our central business district should be just that; a business district.

under 230K??? maybe 1 or 2!!! Young prof do want to live downtown, but they dont want to buy. Downtown needs more downtown rentals in the 1100-1800 range.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone notice the green and blue floodlights shining up the building from the south and east sides?

Did you go to the Rockets game last night, too? I noticed that. Seems like something they'll only do during construction or else the light would easily seep into the apts.

I noticed that too. It looks pretty badass from Discovery Green.I'm pretty sure its permanent. For one, i don't think Construction lighting would be colored and two, the lights can't creep into the apartments that easily because of the balconies.

Lockmt, haven't you ever been to Orlando or Las Vegas where the flood lights are on the apartments, hotels or condos. Is it ever really an issue?

I noticed that too. It looks pretty badass from Discovery Green.I'm pretty sure its permanent. For one, i don't think Construction lighting would be colored and two, the lights can't creep into the apartments that easily because of the balconies.

Lockmt, haven't you ever been to Orlando or Las Vegas where the flood lights are on the apartments, hotels or condos. Is it ever really an issue?

Maybe I didn't look close enough, but it looked like they were seeping into the rooms. I could definitely be wrong. But from what I saw, I'm not sure they looked like right. I'll take a look again next time, but I really don't like the green.

OMG why does everyone hate the lighting downtown?? I can't wait for our skyline to be lit up again, and I'm anxiously awaiting the final lighting scheme for OPP (I hope it's not the blue and green that have on there now). I think the design of OPP is top notch, and is a great addition to our skyline.

Archived