People Talking Bad About Houston's Skyline On Skyscraper City

citykid09

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...its what people do... they hate us cuz they aint us. this is a really cool picture though and it shows how much "potential" downtown has

PLENTY of potential....

Does anyone know how many full block surface lots there are in downtown. I've always been curious but when ever I started counting I would loose track then loose interest. I'm sure if I sat down I would get it, but if anyone can save me the trouble I'd appreciate it. I'm guessing 30 <_<

Part of the reason that Houston's skyline is so striking is that there's enough room between the builidngs to allow them to be seen in their entirety. This would not be the case if surface parking lots (or low-rise structures) weren't scattered throughout downtown.

If our skyscrapers were packed solidly together, it would just be a jumble.

Part of the reason that Houston's skyline is so striking is that there's enough room between the builidngs to allow them to be seen in their entirety. This would not be the case if surface parking lots (or low-rise structures) weren't scattered throughout downtown.

If our skyscrapers were packed solidly together, it would just be a jumble.

I like your interpretation. In fact, although its definitely for the better, I'll be sorry to lose the views from the blocks that will soon become Houston Pavillions.

^^^ Agreed, Wayne.

SSC is a source of amusement for me, not for rational, meaningful discussion. The obsession with density and "world class" and a myriad other pro-"European/NE US" rigamarole is fairly weak if not flat out hilarious.

SSC is the only place where Detroit is seen by many to be an urban "jewel".

LOL!!

I like haif2 because there so many people with different ideas here....has been a pleasant learning experience for me. Now with the skyline....i heard somewhere a while ago that the skyline is staggered or built at an angle in order to follow the path of Baffalo Bayou. Im no fan of all the surface lots, but i do think they were included in the over all plan to give the Skyline a more non jumbled look........... End result, the skyline is gorgeous :):)

Do you post on SSC, midtown? You seem like you'd fit in well there.

You have to admit a lot of Houstonians have that view for some strange reason. On the other hand I find myself at SSC for the same reasons as Great Hizzy these days.

What is depressing to realize is that the wait for those surface lots to be developed can be a lot longer than anyone expects. A lot of these blocks were converted to surface lots back in the 1960s and 1970s. It is amazing that some blocks have been surface lots for 30 years now. I think there will continue to be piecemeal development, but there will probably have to be some change in the economics of downtown development before we see major change.

What is depressing to realize is that the wait for those surface lots to be developed can be a lot longer than anyone expects. A lot of these blocks were converted to surface lots back in the 1960s and 1970s. It is amazing that some blocks have been surface lots for 30 years now. I think there will continue to be piecemeal development, but there will probably have to be some change in the economics of downtown development before we see major change.

I think once developers see the Houston Pavilons, they will want to be apart of the developments in Downtown and it will spur off from there and be a chain reaction.

The parking lots are lucrative and the owners of the property don't feel pressured to come down off their prices to developers who might want to develop said property but may not want to pay as much for the land.

That said, when the interest grows and related development expands, you could see a mini-boom of sorts in the next ten years.

My advice: patience.

It is true. We do have way too much surface parking. We lost a lot of older bldgs due to developer greed, but hey, it could be worse... They could have used a picture from 8 years ago.

Since that time, we've seen the Toyota Center, Hilton Americas, their respective garages, 4 major office towers, 2 major parking structures, Hobby Center, and UH-Downtown take up space in that picture above (not to mention things just outside the pic like Minute Maid, METRO Bldg, Post Midtown, St Joseph's expansion...)

Additionally, the park will take away a lot of the surface lots just north of the Hilton, the Pavilions will take away 3 contiuous lots, and smaller developments like the Catholic Cathedral, the Edge, the new garage on Main, and the Christ Church expansion will fill in some gaps as well.

The thing that makes me the most sad though is all of the space near Market Square. I'd love to see those blocks filled with 3-10 floor buildings with ground retail. Closing in the gaps in that area would make a huge impression from the street level.

I think though that I get impatient with counsels of patience without being able to understand what would drive a change in downtown development patterns. If it makes economic sense for the owner to maintain a lot as surface parking for 20-30 years, then it could potentially take a lot for those economics or development patterns to change. If it means waiting for another 20 years, I just don't have the patience! :o

One interesting point is that the major uses of former surface lots have been developed by or subsidized with public funds. This includes the GRB, Toyota Center, Hilton, Metro HQ, new courts, and the new park. I think this is a good thing, and it has contributed a lot to downtown.

The pickup of surface lots from the private sector has been slower. Major former lots are Reliant Building, Houston Center, Enron II, and coming soon the Pavillions. (Hobby, Calpine, new Main Street garage, cathedral, and Christ Church weren't replacing surface lots).

The one thing I think could drive a change in development economics would be more residential. One of the best elements of the proposed Pavillions is that it includes condos. The retail element by itself is OK as far as it goes, but I don't see it doing a lot to spur other development compared to residential. Of course the big question is the depth of demand for downtown residential.

It is true. We do have way too much surface parking. We lost a lot of older bldgs due to developer greed, but hey, it could be worse... They could have used a picture from 8 years ago.

Since that time, we've seen the Toyota Center, Hilton Americas, their respective garages, 4 major office towers, 2 major parking structures, Hobby Center, and UH-Downtown take up space in that picture above (not to mention things just outside the pic like Minute Maid, METRO Bldg, Post Midtown, St Joseph's expansion...)

Additionally, the park will take away a lot of the surface lots just north of the Hilton, the Pavilions will take away 3 contiuous lots, and smaller developments like the Catholic Cathedral, the Edge, the new garage on Main, and the Christ Church expansion will fill in some gaps as well.

The thing that makes me the most sad though is all of the space near Market Square. I'd love to see those blocks filled with 3-10 floor buildings with ground retail. Closing in the gaps in that area would make a huge impression from the street level.

And since that time I have seen many tall building in Downtown go down too, for no reason.

Even after that picture was taken, so it probably looks even worst now.

Archived