• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not alleged dear.

N Main & Quitman

Louisiana & Elgin/Westheimer

Montrose & Richmond

17th & Yale

Ready. Set. Now prove me wrong! Go on, I can see the post already. Hell, I don't even have to provide locations. Someone will still say I made it up. -sigh-

Oh, I'm not saying you're making it up, although I've never noticed any particular stank at these locations. I'm just saying you have a hellava nose. Ever consider a career with DEA or Homeland Security? :D

Not alleged dear.

N Main & Quitman

Louisiana & Elgin/Westheimer

Montrose & Richmond

17th & Yale

Ready. Set. Now prove me wrong! Go on, I can see the post already. Hell, I don't even have to provide locations. Someone will still say I made it up. -sigh-

I wondered who that guy was sniffing the manhole covers at N Main and Quitman.

Now I know.

that really is an unflattering pic. this city has way too many surface lots..not just downtown but everywhere.

It doesn't matter elsewhere; if the buildings are 1-story, parking lots don't make a big difference. Downtown is a different story. What we need is building infill plus a few large parking garages. Six garages can account for all the surface parking you see there.

The high land prices are a roundabout market-based way of zoning for density

Perhaps not. Check out the Leeland Square topic, where a block will be built out with five single-family houses. I like the idea because it provides another template for land use downtown. Given the limited demand for residential highrises and office buildings, it isn't surprising that so much of downtown has reverted to default use: parking. Projects like this, or regular townhouses, could do a lot to help revive downtown.

I disagree that downtown has a prestige factor that props up prices. It might have once, but it is long gone. Unlike fifty years ago, large corporations frequently locate in the suburbs.

screw SSC.

SSP is better. there are a lot of texas forumers and its a good place to hear news about whats happining in austin with KevinFromTexas hanging around. I know western gulf is on skyscraperpage, dunno if anyone else around here is.

as for the surface lots, someone on SSC actually said something smart. They said that at least its better that they tore down the old buildings before they could become too dilapidated. I dunno about you, but i think that if we still had all the old buildings and none of these surface lots, downtown would still be in the same predicament, and those old buildings would just be rotting and stanky. Not to mention its easier to build something over a parking lot than a building.

as for the surface lots, someone on SSC actually said something smart. They said that at least its better that they tore down the old buildings before they could become too dilapidated. I dunno about you, but i think that if we still had all the old buildings and none of these surface lots, downtown would still be in the same predicament, and those old buildings would just be rotting and stanky. Not to mention its easier to build something over a parking lot than a building.

Under that theory, we wouldn't have the Rice Lofts, or a lot of the renovated old buildings on Main Street.

Houston has been a heated discussion and titles in several topics at SSC. But the majority of people there are just -serious- idiots. They lack alot of common sence, and SSC is just a cess pool for them.

Hey!! I'm in SSC and I defend Houston when ever something like this comes around including this SSC disscussion wich by the way is already been locked.

screw SSC.

SSP is better. there are a lot of texas forumers and its a good place to hear news about whats happining in austin with KevinFromTexas hanging around. I know western gulf is on skyscraperpage, dunno if anyone else around here is.

i love SSP but that site is far worse than SSC when it comes to houston becuase SSP'ers kick the psuedo elitism up a notch and to them...we don't live in a 'real' city.

yeah that JBOB character was one goofy SOB! he was using some of the oldest stereotypes of Texas and apparently it was obvious, he has never been to Houston.

He also appeared to be very juvenile, although he said he was in Houston 6 months ago AND in 1980 (the same year i was born) which would make him old enough to know better.

World's best olfactory system!

0036.jpg

:lol::lol::lol: You had to post this right when I had coffee in my mouth. I'm sending you the cleaning bill. :D

When I said tall I mint around 10 stroies tall. And several of them have gone down.

I think you meant to say "meant" and "stories".

What a great opportunity for Houston to create a mini "Central Park." The row of parking lots connecting the Toyota Center to the main downtown area looks like a great place to me. A park would also attract people wanting to live downtown. I can see all kinds of developers wanting to build residential high rises that look over the park.

Here is what it could look like - not the best rendering, but you get the idea...

houstoncentralpark6rj.jpg

• The title was changed to People Talking Bad About Houston's Skyline On Skyscraper City

Archived