The Heights Information & Developments

jookyhc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sat in as a guest vocalist with my friend Steve Candelari's band (Von Hindenburg) last saturday on 19th street. It was a fun evening to say the least, but what really caught my attention was 19th street around Yale and all of it's goings on. First of all it's a very charming 2 or 3 blocks of old up to the street retail, with vintage clothing shops, very interesting antique stores, and a wonderful theater, although it (the theater) seemed to be vacant. There were bands playing in the street, and people were packing the sidewalks while drinking (yes I said drinking), and shopping. And all of this was happening at night.. There were also rickshaw taxis all over the place.

This area is brand new to me so I was taken by surprise, and was hoping to get some comments on how long the area has been this way. Is it a new thing?

I sat in as a guest vocalist with my friend Steve Candelari's band (Von Hindenburg) last saturday on 19th street. It was a fun evening to say the least, but what really caught my attention was 19th street around Yale and all of it's goings on. First of all it's a very charming 2 or 3 blocks of old up to the street retail, with vintage clothing shops, very interesting antique stores, and a wonderful theater, although it (the theater) seemed to be vacant. There were bands playing in the street, and people were packing the sidewalks while drinking (yes I said drinking), and shopping. And all of this was happening at night.. There were also rickshaw taxis all over the place.

This area is brand new to me so I was taken by surprise, and was hoping to get some comments on how long the area has been this way. Is it a new thing?

The area you are talking about is very nice; however, you were there on 1st Saturday which explains the music and drinking it is normally not that active at night... though there are some cool shops and galleries. Every 1st Saturday is different, some bigger than others, but sounds like this one was pretty good. I couldn't make it because I was out of town but sounds like it was similar to white linen night. Here's a site for first saturday, but basically just the first saturday of every month there is a party in the heights.

http://www.heightsfirstsaturday.com/

Actually, what you saw was "Mistletoe In The Heights", a Christmas take on First Saturday. It is advertised better than the monthly First Saturday, and more events and whatnot planned. It is basically still First Saturday, merely in a prettier Christmas bow.

Note: Just looked at Gary's link...what he said. ;)

Actually, what you saw was "Mistletoe In The Heights", a Christmas take on First Saturday. It is advertised better than the monthly First Saturday, and more events and whatnot planned. It is basically still First Saturday, merely in a prettier Christmas bow.
Ok , gotcha. To bad this isn't going on each weekend throughout the year. It was really quite charming.
.Note: Just looked at Gary's link...what he said. ;)

Huh? Edit: Nevermind Red. Sometimes it takes me a while to get it, Lol. Thanks for the little promo.

Edited by Gary

Will be active this Saturday also. It's the annual Christmas thing. Most of the stores will have free food and some will have alchohol. Good marketing, give out some alchohol to loosen those wallets up a bit. :P

Edit: It will be this Friday, not Saturday. Mistletoe Madness, or something like that. Lights in the Heights is a different event.

Edited by west20th

Will be active this Saturday also. It's the annual Christmas thing. Most of the stores will have free food and some will have alchohol. Good marketing, give out some alchohol to loosen those wallets up a bit. :P

I believe this Saturday is "Lights in the Heights" - the annual luminaries along Bayland, Woodland, Highland. It's a lot of fun. Bring your wagon with beer and spirits, and walk the streets to see beautifully decorated houses. About every 5-6 houses, there will be a band or some sort of entertainment.

Gary, I second the Lights in the Heights for this coming Saturday (6-10pm). Imagine the revelry you saw in 2-3 blocks, now visualize it out over 20 blocks. But get there early, parking will be bad.

Details: http://www.woodland-heights.org/Events/LITH2007/default.htm

I may have to come down just to be able to drink in the streets. It was pretty cool watching people walk around while getting lit on their favorite beverage, all the while HPD drives up and down the street doing nothing about it. Also, everybody was very friendly which is one of the things I've always loved about this town.

I probably saw you there and didn't realize it! I sell stuff in a couple of boutiques down there and stopped by late.

Holiday on 19th is on Friday December 7th from about 6-10. LITH is on Saturday December 8th so you can do both!

I agree, I would love to see more block parties and festivals around town more often. I wish we could get something good going on in the Montrose again... or maybe the East End would be a better choice now. Houston would be all the better for it.

I probably saw you there and didn't realize it! I sell stuff in a couple of boutiques down there and stopped by late.

Holiday on 19th is on Friday December 7th from about 6-10. LITH is on Saturday December 8th so you can do both!

I agree, I would love to see more block parties and festivals around town more often. I wish we could get something good going on in the Montrose again... or maybe the East End would be a better choice now. Houston would be all the better for it.

You probably heard us. We were playing in front of "Wear it again Sam's", doing some Led Zeppelin stuff.

They really, really, really need to shut down 19th Street between Yale and the street in front of Collina's for these events.

I'm certainly no expert on the area, but the traffic seemed to be very subdued and light, and we had no problems crossing the street. Of course the rickshaws (is that how you spell it) were all over the place.

LITH always has closed streets. Given how popular White Linen was on its second go around this August and same with Mistletoe Madness last weekend, I wouldn't be surprised if they shut the streets down next year, or specifically parts of 19th. I hit 19th during the day so it wasn't that crowded, but White Linen was absolutely packed so people naturally moved to the streets to get away from the congestion of the sidewalks.

• 2 weeks later...
this closing will devastate the heights. :rolleyes:

We will survive. I've never forgiven them for slipping a fish fillet into my chicken fillet order. I hate fish! Anyway, that is not a huge piece of land. Curious on what the plans are for it.

Edited by west20th

Kind of sad to me. Once every couple of years I get an uncontrollable urge to pig out on Long John Silver's. After the requisite stomach ache, I'm good for a couple more years.

Ha, yeah no kidding! I do the same thing with McDonalds. Gotta remind myself from time to time why I don't like it.

I talked to one of the employees while eating dinner there last weekend. She told me that the restaurant will be closing down this month. The property was purchased by the investment group building the high-rise across the street.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I LOVE long john silvers! There are no others even close to this. :angry:

My first job, at 15, was as at a Long John Silvers. Back when fast food was handled almost exclusively by pimply, middle-class neighborhood teenagers. It too was just recently torn down, Mason Rd at Kingsland. :( I worked their 2 years, with fond memories, actually, despite the fact that the outfits were insufferable.

If you only knew what goes on in the walk-in!

Edited by crunchtastic

I talked to one of the employees while eating dinner there last weekend. She told me that the restaurant will be closing down this month. The property was purchased by the investment group building the high-rise across the street.

How high is the high rise across the street going to be? Will it be office space? I live on Yale and was wondering what they were building there.

The lady also mentioned that the same investment group purchased additional land across Yale street near the Alabama Furniture store. Unfortunately, she had trouble remembering those details.

It's called 2201 Yale, LLC run by David Bankus (from Vallone & Associates) and Eshagh Malekan (no clue, some real estate investor from NY)

And right when they're starting to serve those popcorn langoustine things too!

I remember reading/hearing something about that, but am a little wary when i see $2.99 next to the word lobster... :P