The Heights Information & Developments

jookyhc

I've just never understood how that many of the same type of business can exist in such a small area. I don't think they add any character or charm to anything, they just waste space.

I'm going to guess you don't ever buy used cars. Someone who never eats at Pappas' restaurants might have a similar opinion about the clusters of them distributed all over town.

I've never bought a used car on Shepherd, but I don't have trouble imagining that someone does, or else they wouldn't stay in business.

I have bought used cars, but not from places like this. I don't think business is that booming either, in the short year I've lived inthe area I've seen 4 or 5 places change owners or at least names - they just aren't going away very fast.

Also, I have a feeling that these places make all of their money on high interest financing to people with no credit as opposed to sales volume. That's not exactly what I like for neighborhood business. I have no numbers or anything to back this assertion, I've just read the signs posted at the financing offices (shacks) at various dealers and am guessing from that.

I have bought used cars, but not from places like this. I don't think business is that booming either, in the short year I've lived inthe area I've seen 4 or 5 places change owners or at least names - they just aren't going away very fast.

So, they aren't making any money, but people keep selling used cars there decade after decade. That's gumption!

Also, I have a feeling that these places make all of their money on high interest financing to people with no credit as opposed to sales volume. That's not exactly what I like for neighborhood business.

Then why did you move to their neighborhood??

So, they aren't making any money, but people keep selling used cars there decade after decade. That's gumption!

Then why did you move to their neighborhood??

I said business wasn't booming, I didn't say they didn't make money.

Clearly there are other things about the neighborhood that I like enough to outweigh my dislike for these places. Forgive me for wanting to see improvement (IMO) in a part of my world I'm not excited about.

I said business wasn't booming, I didn't say they didn't make money.

But we agree that they provide a service that some people find useful, right?

Clearly there are other things about the neighborhood that I like enough to outweigh my dislike for these places. Forgive me for wanting to see improvement (IMO) in a part of my world I'm not excited about.

You are forgiven. Go in peace.

Also, I have a feeling that these places make all of their money on high interest financing to people with no credit

As opposed to, say, any new car dealer?

ok, not picking on you. just couldn't resist.

All of the car dealers along the same stretch is a throw back to the way things were in the 60s and 70s. In every good sized city there were just certain streets that attracted certain businesses. And always a stretch or two was nothing but car lots. For anyone familiar with San Antonio, San Pedro south of North Star Mall down to Hildebrand is exactly the same way. A long stretch of College Ave in Beaumont was the same, as was South First in Austin back when. I've always thought of it as quite organic--just the way businesses grew in certain neighborhoods. (Remember history, most commerce had either defined or de facto areas in which to set up: meat markets, green grocers, smiths/metalworks, etc. ) As for Shepherd, these days middle class people don't buy their cars there. It's a long row of tatty ugly stuff, and we move on. The old used car lots have outlived their usefulness for a certain segment of the population in the neighborhood. But only a segment. It's not like the customers of those car lots and panaderias are driving in from the suburbs to shop on Shepherd.

Edited by crunchtastic

Yes, these places provide a service that some people use, people who live in this same neighborhood. Although I found it surprising that all 4 or 5 of the employees of the place nearest to us that I talked to (sharing petty theft experiences, apparently the same kids got us and stole several radios from their cars) all lived in Missouri City.

I do appreciate perspectives from others who know more about the area than I do. I never thought about the "industry" specific areas like that. For those who have been around the neighborhood longer than me - I notice this topic started back in 2005, with indications that more than a few car lots had closed down. What about the last 3 years since then? Did that trend continue to any noticeable extent, or has it slowed down?

For those who have been around the neighborhood longer than me - I notice this topic started back in 2005, with indications that more than a few car lots had closed down. What about the last 3 years since then? Did that trend continue to any noticeable extent, or has it slowed down?

I've been visiting or living in that area for 20+ years. I've never noticed a decrease in the number of used car lots.

I bought a car from a similar lot back in the late 80s, but it was on Kirby south of 59. There used to be a lot of them over there, if I recall correctly. Great car, paid $1600 cash for it, ran like a top until I flipped it and spun it like a dreidel.

Well, just go ahead and stop by sometime, and tell 'em you don't approve. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to pack up and leave just as soon as they hear the news.

A lot of them already know how I feel, and the only reason they do is because they decided to let me know how they feel about me (and my other neighbors) first. I could care less what they think about me, and they feel the same way.

I'm in the middle. I don't mind a few lots, but a whole corridor of them is too much. All that flying tin foil stuff and banners and balloons. I was sad to see that old Jeep dealership on Washngton close/move. Those are the kinds that add "character" or ones that have been around forever, but I think we need some diversity here. I also see an issue with what is being built new. All the same crappy stucco strip centers. Build something interesting- modern, funky, whatever. Just do something **new** instead of the same old crap.

I've been visiting or living in that area for 20+ years. I've never noticed a decrease in the number of used car lots.

I bought a car from a similar lot back in the late 80s, but it was on Kirby south of 59. There used to be a lot of them over there, if I recall correctly. Great car, paid $1600 cash for it, ran like a top until I flipped it and spun it like a dreidel.

Car lot on Kirby south of 59:

archerrambler451.jpg

Got an answer. Apparently they're for leach testing samples. The sites they show up probably had something nasty on them in the past.

That's right! My Mom and Dad (when he was alive) had gaoline under their property due to a leaak in the gas station across the street. They put about 20 of these on 2 acres and took them away one at a time. Every once in a while, one will be back - I guess to see if there is still a leak.

I've just never understood how that many of the same type of business can exist in such a small area.

Any business that sells something that most people will infrequently purchase for a high price will benefit from congregating in a district among other sellers of the same product. This isn't a case of competition within a narrow geographical market like say a fast food restaurant or grocery store would be. People don't buy cars by going to only one dealership, its a big decision and most people will shop around generally because any variation in price is a bigger deal. Now imagine you own the one used car dealership off on its own in one section of the city while 10 of your competitors are located within minutes or seconds from one another across town. Each person shopping for a car is probably going to hit up several of the lots congregated together before making a final decision, they arent going to want to take an extra trip across town to see what you have when there are several other places right there they can try. The dealerships who congregate together benefit by being in a district that is known for selling used cars.

Take this example for instance...you're a Houstonian finally moving up in the world, big promotion, bought a big new house that you have to fill with furniture. Are you going to just hit up the yellow pages for the nearest furniture store to your house or haul yourself up to the North Freeway and hit up about 5 or 6 of the furniture places up there?

Wow! It's not Whataburger or Tastyburger or Greatburger or even Goodburger. It's just some burger...Someburger. I love it. And it's a stand, too! :lol: Awesome.

Thank you, Tiko.

"Hey, um, welcome to Someburger."

"Hi, do you have any recommendations or specials?"

"Uh, we have um...some burgers, I guess."

"Oh. Okay. I'll have a burger, then."

"Okey-dokey. Thanks." (Coughs)

Wow! It's not Whataburger or Tastyburger or Greatburger or even Goodburger. It's just some burger...Someburger. I love it. And it's a stand, too! :lol: Awesome.

Thank you, Tiko.

"Hey, um, welcome to Someburger."

"Hi, do you have any recommendations or specials?"

"Uh, we have um...some burgers, I guess."

"Oh. Okay. I'll have a burger, then."

"Okey-dokey. Thanks." (Coughs)

I grew up in Kentucky and have been in Texas for 13 years. I've heard local folks in both places use "some" as a form of an adjective or prefix. "Man, that is some burger" or "Now That, is some BBQ."

I always understood it as a prime example of the subject matter.

I grew up in Kentucky and have been in Texas for 13 years. I've heard local folks in both places use "some" as a form of an adjective or prefix. "Man, that is some burger" or "Now That, is some BBQ."

I always understood it as a prime example of the subject matter.

Ah, so desu!

I've been in a different country too long. I'm forgetting American nuance and colloquy.

Like, "That's some pig!" from Charlotte's Web. Ah, right....

Sorry about that. Anyway, barrels, huh? Yeah, weird...

Can a pharmacy be run from a converted bungalow?

What if the "parking lot"(cemented front yard) is not able to handle the amount of clients/cars that come by when this place is open?

Where does a person look or inquire into whether that amount of activity can be allowed on a 5,500 sqft lot(55wide x 100 long)?

Does the city have any ordinances that address this?

Houston does not have zoning but can a business be setup just anywhere?

Can a pharmacy be run from a converted bungalow?

What if the "parking lot"(cemented front yard) is not able to handle the amount of clients/cars that come by when this place is open?

Where does a person look or inquire into whether that amount of activity can be allowed on a 5,500 sqft lot(55wide x 100 long)?

Does the city have any ordinances that address this?

Houston does not have zoning but can a business be setup just anywhere?

no, a business can't be setup just anywhere. you have to determine whether that specific property is deed restricted for residential only. if so you are out of luck.

if it isn't, then you have to meet certain requirements specified by the city in the code of ordinances

• 3 weeks later...