The Heights Information & Developments

jookyhc

I've been thinking about McCain's lately. A good concept and ideal location, but the inventory is a bit too thin on necessities and too comprehensive on rubs, spices, hot sauces, etc.

Thus, it is never a 1-stopper. There are a couple of mini-groceries on South Congress in Austin (around Continental Club) that have really good, comprehensive inventories for their size. You could outfit an entire meal/cookout in 1 stop. I would really like to have something like that in the hood, and McCain's is the best candidate.

Are they prohibited from selling beer and wine by virtue of the dry ordinance?

I think so - they're in the dry area. Plus, there's a liquor store a few blocks away.

I really, really want to like McCain's better, and would love for them to succeed - but I'm afraid they won't. I go there every now and then and can fashion a meal of sorts from what they have, but not a real meal.

I'd love it if they made specialty sandwiches, for example - I think they may have some sandwiches there, but I think they're from elsewhere.

Edit: Another random Heights topic - I think Pink's may have been mentioned elsewhere. I've tried two different delivery pizzas from there now, and liked them both a lot. They both got to the house very quickly, too.

Edited by tmariar

Can't believe no one has mentioned the progress on the new building at Studewood and 10th. Whatever issues heights yankee observed have apparently been resolved, and construction has resumed.

EDIT: Oh, and the "hip" McDonalds on N. Main is open. :mellow:

Edited by RedScare

Well, whoever asked about "nothing" going on, just got more. 10pm news (Ch 2) just showed a SWAT standoff in Woodland Heights. Some guy tossed a brick through his neighbor's window, and apparently knocked his neighbor with it. They said it wasn't the first run in with the law for this guy, also with a history of mental issues. If he didn't have a history of it before, I guess this would get him well on his way.

POYEA

Yes, I was quite happy to have the SWAT team near my house and the sound of the negotiator and his megaphone coming into the bedroom while I attempted sleep.

i actually drove by micheaux on white oak last night around 9:15 or so, and they had it blocked off. The police did seem pretty relaxed, so i'm assuming the whole thing was more of a formality rather than a serious standoff.

Construction is coming a long nicely on Studewood and 9th or 10th. Anyone know what businesses will be there?

Any update on that cajun restaurant?

i actually drove by micheaux on white oak last night around 9:15 or so, and they had it blocked off. The police did seem pretty relaxed, so i'm assuming the whole thing was more of a formality rather than a serious standoff.

Construction is coming a long nicely on Studewood and 9th or 10th. Anyone know what businesses will be there?

Any update on that cajun restaurant?

A high end pizza/italian place was reported as going in the new Studewood building. Upstairs I think will be office space.

Had a chat with the husband (co-owner with his wife, the cook) of the Big Mamou and he said pretty much all the permits are in place. They have a sub-contractor in place who will build a large patio on the south end of the building, and I believe the building will be extended as well. He expects work to begin this month, so we should see activity on it soon. They also bought the lot west of the restaurant and will turn it into a parking lot. You can expect some food will be available curbside for White Linen (August First Saturday) but the restaurant wont be open until October since most of the construction will take the better part of the summer.

hey, they've finished pouring almost all the concrete on the bike trail from east DT to Macgregor Bayou. Some transitions are unfinished and you have to make a few hops under 1-45, as well as some of the cross streets, but you can now ride all the way. Did it Sunday, and it was a pleasant look into the backyards of the deep 3rd ward, through TSU, etc. A leisurely but interesting ride. Next time I'll have to stop at Lucky's after.

Where is there more info on this bike trail? thx :)

Where is there more info on this bike trail? thx :)

http://www.publicworks.houstontx.gov/bikew..._tap_062206.jpg

This is the one through east DT and 3rd ward. The page also contains description and maps of the other trails in the Heights area, as well as the ones along Buffalo Bayou.

I really a fan of the program. Now I can ride to from my east-end house to Hermann Park on dedicated trails. And eventually, through DT to the Heights, without having to deal with street traffic.

edit: most all the bike shops have printed versions of this map, that shows all the bike paths, shared bikeways, and rails to trails routes for the whole city.

Edited by crunchtastic

• 2 months later...

Is there another project by Orr Development going up near there also?

This report says so..."Heights Boulevard and Yale Street // Orr Commercial // Heights Village // Completion scheduled Fall

2009. // A 5-acre $70 million project w/ 100,000 sf of retail space topped with 200 to 300 apartment units and an adjacent parking garage"

http://products.rednews.com/base/member/mw...ties_July08.pdf

Is there another project by Orr Development going up near there also?

This report says so..."Heights Boulevard and Yale Street // Orr Commercial // Heights Village // Completion scheduled Fall

2009. // A 5-acre $70 million project w/ 100,000 sf of retail space topped with 200 to 300 apartment units and an adjacent parking garage"

http://products.rednews.com/base/member/mw...ties_July08.pdf

ew. is nothing sacred? why can't the blvd just be lined with nice homes and trees? can't these damn developers go f*ck up another part of the city? <_<

Easy now. Don't get the posse together yet. This is likely the mixed use development on the property next to White Oak Bayou that everyone has talked about. It is between Heights and Yale and between White Oak and the railroad track, and is 5 acres. There is not even 5 acres between Heights and Yale at 13th Street.

Easy now. Don't get the posse together yet. This is likely the mixed use development on the property next to White Oak Bayou that everyone has talked about. It is between Heights and Yale and between White Oak and the railroad track, and is 5 acres. There is not even 5 acres between Heights and Yale at 13th Street.

ok. ok. i'm calm. :blush:

i just fear the day i can no longer walk the trail on Heights b/c it's impossible to cross the street with all the traffic. oh, and developers making it look ugly. that too.

ok. ok. i'm calm. :blush:

i just fear the day i can no longer walk the trail on Heights b/c it's impossible to cross the street with all the traffic. oh, and developers making it look ugly. that too.

Wow, that's almost the same kind of comment my grandmother made when the ugly apartments were built on Heights Blvd. back in the early '60s. It just goes to show you that if you wait long enough.......................!

Has anyone noticed the listing on these townhomes?

http://www.har.com/4511868

1. I can't believe the price

2. what's up with the three separate living spaces ( i.e. 3 kitchens, 3 laundry's, etc.)

3. assimilated basement??

4. plus a garage apartment?

weird.

1. cuz the developer is a jerkoff

2. i guess it's guest quarters on the 1st floor b/c no one wants to live at street level so they'll stick their company there instead. i guess it would be nice for a live in nanny or something

3. i have no idea

4. i think that's actually kind of nice. you rarely get that in a patio home BUT imagine if they had been given a yard and some grass. Wowza

i have to say, that furniture in the master bedroom picture has to be some of the ugliest i have ever seen. no offense to anyone who likes it, but its making my eyes bleed.

Has anyone noticed the listing on these townhomes?

http://www.har.com/4511868

1. I can't believe the price

2. what's up with the three separate living spaces ( i.e. 3 kitchens, 3 laundry's, etc.)

3. assimilated basement??

4. plus a garage apartment?

weird.

1. I agree... that is expensive... though they are big homes w/ a lot of features so they could be worth it.

2. There are kind of like 3 separate 'homes' in this one property. There is the main home... the guest quarters (1st floor of main home)... and the garage apartment (nice to rent out). While many homes (including mine) have guest bedrooms... this one has an actual guest quarters... like a separate home for your guests when they stay w/ you.

3. This is technically the bottom floor of the home... the guest quarters. I am guessing they call it an "assimilated basement" because once you enter the front door you actually have to walk DOWN stairs to get to it... like you would a basement... although this is above ground (it may actually be partly below ground).

4. I think that would be awsome to have. Not only could you use that for guests to stay in (more privacy)... but you can also rent it out and make some extra $$ on the side. You could also turn it into Party Room or something like that.

They are for people who like to work out of home. The bottom floor is really for an office.

an office with a full kitchen?

as far as the assimilated basement, that is such a weird term. back east, every building seems to have the 1/2 underground but we call them "garden apartments." sounds much nicer, no?

an office with a full kitchen?

as far as the assimilated basement, that is such a weird term. back east, every building seems to have the 1/2 underground but we call them "garden apartments." sounds much nicer, no?

Yes, offices these days do have kitchens. Some people like having more than the bare necessities.

Yes, offices these days do have kitchens. Some people like having more than the bare necessities.

Good point. Just this morning I was lamenting how tired I get cooking on the same stove every day. How nice it would be to go upstairs to cook my omelette one day, or perhaps out to the garage apartment to heat up a pizza just to relieve the day-to-day monotony of cooking.

:rolleyes:

They are for people who like to work out of home. The bottom floor is really for an office.

No, I think the bottom floor on these homes is meant to be more of a "guest quarters". Sure you can use it as an office but I don't think that's what it's intended to be. My house has a single room on the first floor that could be either a bedroom or an office... it's just a room w/ a bathroom and shower.

No, I think the bottom floor on these homes is meant to be more of a "guest quarters". Sure you can use it as an office but I don't think that's what it's intended to be. My house has a single room on the first floor that could be either a bedroom or an office... it's just a room w/ a bathroom and shower.

yes, the listing clearly describes it as guest quarters.

red, you're funny!

That building is empty.
My folks knew the Chadwicks, and I used to get a warm feeling every time I passed that old station. But it's long past time that place was razed.

For some reason, Yale Street has been slow to respond to all the renovation of the Heights area. I know there is traffic considerations for residential use. But it seems like it would make a great location for some upscale businesses.