East Blocks: 10-Block Mixed-Use Redevelopment in EaDo

texan

27 minutes ago, Triton said:

Surprised no one has posted a basic visual of all the blocks we are dealing with here.

Curious, why does the title say 10 blocks? I count 8.

Here's a basic outline of the properties mentioned. Someone can create a better picture since I'm not sure they own the entire blocks but I just wanted some basic visualization for myself.

image.png

I vaguely remember seeing two properties on Milby somewhere in this thread.

6 hours ago, Erik Asuncion said:

With the Polk St. bike lane, Columbia Tap Trail, METRO routes 40 and 41, and METRORail Purple and Green Lines, I am hoping this becomes more of a walkable community, and one that neighbors from Downtown and Midtown will want to visit by using the transportation options available other than a car.

Bastrop Promenade as well. Plus recent pedestrian and/or bike-oriented streetwork on Bell, Bastrop, Dallas, Lamar, Hutchins, and Walker. Looks like this project will do a bit more of that on both Hutchins and McKinney.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Triton said:

Surprised no one has posted a basic visual of all the blocks we are dealing with here.

Curious, why does the title say 10 blocks? I count 8.

Here's a basic outline of the properties mentioned. Someone can create a better picture since I'm not sure they own the entire blocks but I just wanted some basic visualization for myself.

image.png

From the press release...

Two Houston-based real estate developers are teaming up for a 10-block mixed-use redevelopment in the East Downtown Management District.

Pagewood and Wile Interests have entered into a joint venture to redevelop several warehouses near the intersection of McKinney and Hutchins streets into a walkable district that will offer visitors a range of restaurants, shops, offices and green space. The development is slated to be called East Blocks, the companies said in a news release.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steve1363 said:

From the press release...

Two Houston-based real estate developers are teaming up for a 10-block mixed-use redevelopment in the East Downtown Management District.

Pagewood and Wile Interests have entered into a joint venture to redevelop several warehouses near the intersection of McKinney and Hutchins streets into a walkable district that will offer visitors a range of restaurants, shops, offices and green space. The development is slated to be called East Blocks, the companies said in a news release.

Right but I mean.... where are the other two properties? No one has posted them here because all the other addresses people have posted are either in the Northside or they are much further away in the East End.

15 hours ago, 004n063 said:

I vaguely remember seeing two properties on Milby somewhere in this thread.

The Milby addresses listed earlier are 110 Milby and 10 N. Milby. They are at Milby, near Commerce -- across the tracks in Second Ward. Based on the developer-provided description, they may not be included in this project. There's a big distance between them and the rest of the parcels. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JClark54 said:

The Milby addresses listed earlier are 110 Milby and 10 N. Milby. They are at Milby, near Commerce -- across the tracks in Second Ward. Based on the developer-provided description, they may not be included in this project. There's a big distance between them and the rest of the parcels. 

Ahh that makes sense. Thanks. Well then I think my screenshot above still stands since the two Milby properties are very far away from the rest of these.

7 hours ago, Yonkers said:

Most of the blocks are contiguous but the other few are a few blocks over. How do you have an entertainment district split up?

Their Live Oak property is only a couple of blocks away. Their Milby properties seriously should not even be considered part of this... But either way it seems like they have enough property to claim an entertainment district. GreenStreet is only 3 blocks, to put that into perspective.

• Like 3

On 11/14/2023 at 10:25 AM, DotCom said:

908 Live Oak (new or alteration? office/restaurant).  Existing 3 floor, 99,000 SF warehouse, current Magpies & Peacocks and Donkeeboy.

5 hours ago, hindesky said:

908 Live Oak St. Went inside Magpies and Peacocks, talked with a women who said they knew about the East Block project. She said their landlord kept them up to date and she saw the renderings they showed her. She said they are moving down the street and will do so in about 6 months.

https://magpiesandpeacocks.org

Magpies & Peacocks is relocating from 908 Live Oak St to 815 St Charles St. The store is depicted in a rendering for 815 St Charles.

Topic pertaining to 815 St Charles St (unrelated to East Blocks):

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/46137-warehouse-renovation-at-815-st-charles-st/

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 3

Amazing to see all of these developments in the works east of downtown - I'm very curious though how the expansion of I-69/NHHIP may or may not have factored into Pagewood/Wile Interests investment decision. I feel like this entire area could be a mess for a whole decade, if not more. St. Emanuel street is supposed to be torn up starting in 2024, with drainage improvements completing in 2027. Then the widening/burial of I-69 alongside Eado is set to start in 2031, not completing until 2038, with adjacent work on I-69 starting in 2024. I can't imagine this area being anything other than a nightmare to get to from downtown or anywhere south/west of downtown from 2024 potentially all the way through 2040.

image.png.a8efe778a4fe9521a82b8cff3ecb1c87.png

image.png.7b09552c60e2d72c64fa30a909433225.png

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 1:42 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

There are several registered web domains related to the East Blocks development. I don't know which one will be the official website.

Also, there are two Instagram accounts for East Blocks. None of the accounts have posts or a bio. As with the web domains, I'm unsure which one East Blocks will decide to use.

Web domains:

The official website for East Blocks is:

https://www.eastblockshtx.com

Developers launched the website some time last week. It's basically a landing page for now. In time, though, more content will be added.

It should be noted the main address designated for East Blocks is 2215 McKinney St, according the website.

As mentioned, East Blocks is a joint venture from Pagewood and Wile Interests. The East Downtown / EaDo development includes the following:

• 2105 McKinney St (Block 202)
  • 2208 McKinney St (Block 202)
  • 2215 McKinney St (Block 202)
  • 1005 Hutchins St (Block 201)
  • 908 Live Oak St (Block 248)
  • 2120 Walker St
  • 2202 Dallas St
  • 1115 Live Oak St (Block 487)
  • 2315 Polk St (Block 467)
  • 1107 Hutchins St (Block 463)
  • 0 McKinney St parcel (hard corner of McKinney St and St. Charles St; next to 915 St Charles)

gQc6CAT.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/13/2023 at 1:19 PM, hindesky said:

East Bock is several different properties.

https://pagewood.com/properties

4lamS3t.png

1lPNp0I.png

1P8W2u7.png

QENRgoy.png

RR7GhLl.png

Qvqy2OA.png

On 11/13/2023 at 1:59 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

@hindesky are you sure? I know those properties are listed as East Blocks on Pagewood's website, but most are located in Second Ward and Near Northside. Also, those properties were previously listed for sale as recent as this summer (link to an archive page of the website from March and July.)

Houston Business Journal notes this from the press release:

The article also reiterates East Blocks is located in EaDo / East Downtown. While people  - most notoriously real estate developers - often stretch neighborhood boundaries to include nearby areas, are we sure that's the case here?

Granted, the article mostly covers phase one in some detail, noting the entire development is "for a 10-block mixed-use redevelopment" in EaDo. However, it doesn't specify the properties phase one will entail. The same goes for other phases. Yet as @ChannelTwoNews notes from the photo's file description, some the properties for East Block, at least from the renderings published, include:

• 2215 McKinney St
  • 2105 McKinney St
  • 1005 Hutchins St
  • 908 Live Oak St

Pagewood updated the page listing for its properties and projects last week. The page includes previous published renderings of East Blocks.

I included a screenshot of the updated page below.

Prior to the update, the page included the properties listed below. Pagewood marketed the properties for sale for at least a year. But the heading for the following properties changed to East Blocks when Pagewood and Wiles Interest dropped news of their joint venture. Although the heading changed, the photos didn't. The inclusion lead some to believe the properties may be part of East Blocks overall development. Possibly, the photos were left up at the time because developers were still in the process of rolling out Eat Block's social media, website, and other related content.

With the removal of the previously listed properties, it's possible Pagewood removed them so there wouldn't be further confusion. I don't know. Regardless, in place of those previous properties listed for sale (which Pagewood owns and are no longer for sale), are renderings of East Blocks in East Downtown.

These are the properties that were listed before under the East Blocks heading on Pagewood's website. The properties are from Hindesky's screenshot of Pagewood's website when news of East Blocks was released. When I reached out to Pagewood about the properties, I was told the they are not part of the East Blocks development. Pagewood didn't offer additional details regarding future plans for the properties: 

East Downtown

• 1315 Palmer St
  • 3115 Polk St

Second Ward

• 407 Velasco St
  • 10 N Milby St 

Near Northside

• 1512 Gano St
  • 1505 Gentry St

(For comparison, here is the archive page of Pagewood's property page from July and the archive page from November before last week's update.)

Screenshot of the current East Blocks inclusion on Pagewood's website

oOele0F.png

• Like 2

On 11/13/2023 at 1:07 PM, ChannelTwoNews said:

Here are the renderings from the article. 

east-blocks-aerial.jpg

east-blocks-on-the-street.jpg

Based on the file names for the photos that were uploaded, we can figure out some of the proposed locations of some of the structures.

908 Live Oak

east-blocks-908-live-oak.jpg

east-blocks-908-live-oak-2.jpg

1005 Hutchins

east-blocks-1005-hutchins.jpg

east-blocks-1005-hutchins-2.jpg

east-blocks-1005-hutchins-3.jpg

2208 McKinney St

east-blocks-on-the-street-2.jpg

2105 McKinney

east-blocks-2105-mckinney.jpg

2215 McKinney Parking Garage

east-blocks-2215-mckinney-parking-garage

On 11/14/2023 at 1:07 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Below is another rendering of East Blocks. It appears this may be another view perspective of 1005 Hutchins St. 

The rendering is included in Pagewood's recent Instagram post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzoZKxKgQ92

SyLNjsY.jpg

Pagewood updated the page listing for its properties and projects last week. The page includes previous published renderings of East Blocks. It also includes a few new renderings, which are shown below.

East Blocks is a joint venture from Pagewood and Wile Interests. The East Downtown / EaDo development includes the following properties:

• 2120 Walker St
  • 2202 Dallas St
  • 0 McKinney St parcel (hard corner of McKinney St and St. Charles St; next to 915 St Charles)

5AvWy2o.jpg

2105 McKinney Sr

ECnIllB.jpg

nkc5qvZ.jpg

(Probably an earlier rendering of the above one)

djgEou5.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, cityliving said:

Redevelopment area.

1Uy9VxC.jpg

Below is an aerial view of the properties that make up East Blocks. The photo is from Pagewood's website.

East Blocks is a joint venture from Pagewood and Wile Interests. The East Downtown / EaDo development includes the following properties:

• 2120 Walker St
  • 2202 Dallas St

9RY7FoP.jpg

• Like 6

14 hours ago, HtownWxBoy said:

Was hoping the block with the old Kim Hung Market would be apart of this development... i guess next to it and behind it will have to do. 

good news for you then, it is not a part of it, it is apart from it.

sorry, I always laugh when someone uses this word incorrectly, and I enjoy pointing it out. apart (from) has exactly the opposite meaning from a part (of).

Edited by samagon
  • Haha 2

On 11/13/2023 at 12:46 PM, texan said:

Pagewood and Wile Interests plan to redevelop 10 blocks in EaDo into a mixed use development, including many Houston favorites.
https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2023/11/13/pagewood-wile-interests-develop-east-blocks-eado.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_27&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

On 11/13/2023 at 3:18 PM, hindesky said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/east-downtown-houston-eado-mixed-use-project-18488768.php

"Houston's EaDo neighborhood is poised for further transformation, this time with a mixed-use development that will convert several blocks of midcentury warehouses into trendy restaurants, shops, offices and green spaces.

Houston real estate firms Pagewood and Wile Interests unveiled plans Monday for East Blocks, a project that spans 10 blocks, many along Hutchins from Walker to Polk, southwest of Shell Energy Stadium in East Downtown. East Blocks includes the existing 8th Wonder Brewery and the Pitch 25 "beer park." 

"East Blocks, a project that is 50 years in the making, will be a pedestrian-friendly hub full of chef-driven restaurants, unique retail boutiques, creative office space, and parks with art for the local community and those visiting downtown and the nearby stadiums to gather,” said Paul Coonrod, founder of Pagewood, in a statement."

The full press release announcing East Block is available on Pagewood's website:

https://pagewood.com/press/f/introducing-east-blocks

• Like 3

On 12/4/2023 at 7:50 AM, samagon said:

good news for you then, it is not a part of it, it is apart from it.

sorry, I always laugh when someone uses this word incorrectly, and I enjoy pointing it out. apart (from) has exactly the opposite meaning from a part (of).

Missed the space bar while I was typing ... my bad.  😏

Edited by HtownWxBoy

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2023 at 5:39 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

The official website for East Blocks is:

https://www.eastblockshtx.com

Developers launched the website some time last week. It's basically a landing page for now. In time, though, more content will be added.

It should be noted the main address designated for East Blocks is 2215 McKinney St, according the website.

As mentioned, East Blocks is a joint venture from Pagewood and Wile Interests. The East Downtown / EaDo development includes the following:

• 2120 Walker St
  • 2202 Dallas St

gQc6CAT.png

More content was added to East Block's website last week. In addition to information distributed in press releases, there is also a marketing brochure. Pagewood also included the brochure for East Blocks to its website last week.

As mentioned, East Blocks is a joint venture from Pagewood and Wile Interests in Houston's East Downtown area.

https://www.eastblockshtx.com/s/EastBlocksHTX-1_3_24red.pdf

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/3a094070-60a9-4b5f-a143-1dd90c3b52fc/downloads/20231226_EB_ProjectBrochure - Reduced Size.pdf?ver=1703781392032

From the brochure:

• At the gateway to East Downtown, East Blocks will rethink 10 contiguous blocks of buildings in a unified, walkable urban destination for the people of H-Town and beyond. 

• Phase 1 launches with the building blocks for East Downtown’s new vibe—and our tenants’ ultimate success stories. Reimagining retail, F+B, roof-deck amenities, creative office and district parking. With a projected groundbreaking in Q2 2024 and a 2026 delivery, East Blocks will add to the momentum of East Downtown’s only-here character and culturally connected locale. 

• 10 buildings

• 200k+ sf retail

• 120k+ sf office

• 650 parking spaces

East Blocks (Phase I)

• Building 1 - 2105 McKinney St 
  • Building 2 - 2215 McKinney St 
  • Building 3 - 1005 Hutchins St 
  • Building 4 - 1107 Hutchins St 
  • Building 5 - 2202 Dallas St 
  • Building 6 - 2315 Polk St 
  • Building 7 - 908 Live Oak St
  • Building 8 - 1115 Live Oak St

06oGUgD.jpg

• Like 6

On 12/3/2023 at 1:23 PM, cityliving said:

Redevelopment area.

1Uy9VxC.jpg

On 12/3/2023 at 7:09 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Below is an aerial view of the properties that make up East Blocks. The photo is from Pagewood's website.

• 2120 Walker St
  • 2202 Dallas St

9RY7FoP.jpg

An aerial view of the properties that consist of East Blocks. The photo is from recent marketing materials for the development.

East Blocks is a joint venture from Pagewood and Wile Interests. The East Downtown / EaDo development.

aULAJDu.jpg

Same image with East Blocks buildings highlighted

Aiq3wLE.jpg

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

More content was added to East Block's website last week. In addition to information distributed in press releases, there is also a marketing brochure. Pagewood also included the brochure for East Blocks to its website last week.

https://www.eastblockshtx.com/s/EastBlocksHTX-1_3_24red.pdf

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/3a094070-60a9-4b5f-a143-1dd90c3b52fc/downloads/20231226_EB_ProjectBrochure - Reduced Size.pdf?ver=1703781392032

Below is an overview of what's planned for each East Blocks building. The map is from new marketing materials for the development.

• Building 1 - 2105 McKinney St 

• Consists of retail / food & beverage, creative office, roof deck amenity

• Building 2 - 2215 McKinney St 

• Consists of creative office, retail / food & beverage

• Building 3 - 1005 Hutchins St

• Consists of roof deck amenity, parking (I think, hard to make out the color scheme), and retail / food & beverage

• Building 4 - 1107 Hutchins St 

• Consists of retail / food & beverage

• Building 5 - 2202 Dallas St 

• Building 6 - 2315 Polk St 

• Building 7 - 908 Live Oak St

• Consists of retail / food & beverage, creative office, parking, and roof top amenity

• Building 8 - 1115 Live Oak St

ZhlEECE.jpg

• Like 9