http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2790621

A new article from ESPN on the possible move. Now Las Vegas and Kansas City are mentioned, but not Houston. Only local reports mention H-Town as a possibility, meaning that the national media doesn't expect Houston to get the team.

However, something else in the article catches the eye:

...The Penguins have repeatedly said they may move the team, or sell it to someone who would move it, if no deal for a new arena is in place by then.

Note where it mentions that they may still consider selling the team. Les Alexander is the front-runner to buying an NHL franchise, because we know he's actively pursuing. If he were to land the team, there's no question that they would play at Toyota Center. Houston's the best selling option.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
les said the kc deal was too hard to beat. i think KC offered free rent and he said there's no way he could do that.

...unless he bought the team. They' d play rent free in Toyota Center if the owner of the stadium owned the team too. There's no question that if Les could buy any NHL team, it'd be the best young and exciting team in the league. I think when they visit Houston, he's gonna make a pitch to buy the team, or at least a part of it with the intent of eventually becoming majority owner.

He'll probably come up with a once-in-a-lifetime offer that matches KC via buying the team as opposed to having a rent free stadium. It'd be the best offer they've recieved, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of people richer than him jumping to buy an NHL team.

...unless he bought the team. They' d play rent free in Toyota Center if the owner of the stadium owned the team too. There's no question that if Les could buy any NHL team, it'd be the best young and exciting team in the league. I think when they visit Houston, he's gonna make a pitch to buy the team, or at least a part of it with the intent of eventually becoming majority owner.

He'll probably come up with a once-in-a-lifetime offer that matches KC via buying the team as opposed to having a rent free stadium. It'd be the best offer they've recieved, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of people richer than him jumping to buy an NHL team.

The Chronicle reported yesterday that the Pens won't be visiting Houston at all.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hki/4611117.html

The Chronicle reported yesterday that the Pens won't be visiting Houston at all.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hki/4611117.html

Yeah, I saw that. Looks like the thoughts of Houston getting a quality team from the north won't happen just yet.

As that's happening, word on the street has it that the Nashville Predators are having new arena issues, and the Florida Panthers are having a tough time with attendance. I wonder if money-predator Les Alexander will look to buy either one of them.

The only way now that I think Houston gets a team is by Alexander buying one. We probably won't get an expansion team, because the loser of the Kansas City/Pittsburgh saga is likely to get one if another team doesn't move there first. It'd be nice to see Alexander steal the Nashville team though :) I hope he does it soon, though...

Yeah, I saw that. Looks like the thoughts of Houston getting a quality team from the north won't happen just yet.

As that's happening, word on the street has it that the Nashville Predators are having new arena issues, and the Florida Panthers are having a tough time with attendance. I wonder if money-predator Les Alexander will look to buy either one of them.

The only way now that I think Houston gets a team is by Alexander buying one. We probably won't get an expansion team, because the loser of the Kansas City/Pittsburgh saga is likely to get one if another team doesn't move there first. It'd be nice to see Alexander steal the Nashville team though :) I hope he does it soon, though...

And I can't even imagine that the NHL will expand anytime soon. There are too many teams, as it is.

You're right....one guy, and one guy only, will be the owner of an NHL team here unless/until Les sells the Rockets or dies.

And I can't even imagine that the NHL will expand anytime soon. There are too many teams, as it is.

You're right....one guy, and one guy only, will be the owner of an NHL team here unless/until Les sells the Rockets or dies.

There's room for two more expansion teams if and when that time came, which would up their count to 30.

It would probably be cheaper and more marketable for both sides if Alexander stole a team though.

There's room for two more expansion teams if and when that time came, which would up their count to 30.

It would probably be cheaper and more marketable for both sides if Alexander stole a team though.

I think the NHL feels like it did too much expansion into questionable markets. If anything, I imagine they'd do retraction before expansion.

• 2 months later...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2880877

It looks like the Nashville Predators are being sold to a Canadian billionaire. It's not clear yet if there's a planned move for the team yet seeing that they're not having hot ticket sales. If they do announce they'd be looking at a possible move, I'm guessing you'll hear a few Canadian cities on the top of the list, and possibly Houston, Kansas City, and Las Vegas again mentioned.

I still think that the only way NHL were to come to Houston anytime soon would be if Alexander bought a team and moved them to Toyota.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2880877

It looks like the Nashville Predators are being sold to a Canadian billionaire. It's not clear yet if there's a planned move for the team yet seeing that they're not having hot ticket sales. If they do announce they'd be looking at a possible move, I'm guessing you'll hear a few Canadian cities on the top of the list, and possibly Houston, Kansas City, and Las Vegas again mentioned.

I still think that the only way NHL were to come to Houston anytime soon would be if Alexander bought a team and moved them to Toyota.

Yep...I agree that the NHL will only come here under Alexander's ownership. No other NHL owner is going to want to give a portion of their revenue to Alexander to play there.

Attendance in Nashville is up though about 1,000 more people per game this year to around 13,600...while it still needs to go up the NHL has a long season like the NBA and MLB. The NHL has 82 regular season games so you take the numbers with a grain of salt.

All in all from what I have seen and heard I think post lockout the NHL is on its way back to health.

In the Sports Business Journal this week the NHL revenue topped 2.2 Billion this year up from 2.1 Billion last year.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The Dallas Stars may be for sale. Wouldn't it be awesome if Houston stole the Stars and the Exxon Corporate Headquarters in the same year. If the Stars did move to Houston they wouldn't have to change their name.

The Houston Stars.

Beautiful.

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/Hicks-looks-to-sell-Stars-83575222.html

Cool!

A little off topic, but I just noticed that "DJ V Lawrence" is missing. Anyone know what happened?

• 3 months later...

I went to an Avalanche game once which was fun but pretty expensive, but as far as I am concerned more bang for your buck compared with MLB.

Anyways there are enough midwestern/canadian/european transplants in both Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston (not to mention Austin and San Antonio) for Texas to have two NHL teams given that California has three NHL teams total. Plus given the huge corporate presence in both any NHL team should profit from having the luxury boxes being filled.

Most likely scenario is either Nashville or Phoenix gets relocated to Houston with the other team going to either Winnipeg, Hamilton, or Kansas City.

• 11 months later...

Keeping the name would definetely work. I like the sound of Houston Coyotes. The article listed Houston as the 5th most likely city to get them. It did say that the NHL should seriously consider Houston in the future for expansion or relocation of a different team even if we don't get them. So there's hope!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

With the Florida Panthers reporting record low attendance, I wonder if there is interest in Houston in case the team decides to relocate. Quebec would be the most likely destination, but perhaps Houston can mount a bid for the team. I'm already imagining the first Houston Aeros vs. Dallas Starts NHL match up :)  

With the Florida Panthers reporting record low attendance, I wonder if there is interest in Houston in case the team decides to relocate. Quebec would be the most likely destination, but perhaps Houston can mount a bid for the team. I'm already imagining the first Houston Aeros vs. Dallas Starts NHL match up :)

This all comes down to Les Alexander. and you never know ...he did flirt with buying the Dynamo last year. Owning an NHL franchise would allow him to maximize profits at Toyota Center.

Quebec City has a new arena under construction but I'm not sure whom the investors would be for a team there. Seattle does not have an arena and Hansen's bid already lost Steve Ballmer to the Clippers. Portland could be a possibility but the Moda Center would likely need a renovation. Kansas City has the arena but like QC, not sure on the ownership front. An NHL franchise to Houston is there for the taking ...if Les wants it.

• 8 months later...

Maybe you could talk Joel Olsteen into hosting a team at the Summit or whatever it's called now. He could just stipulate they don't have home games on Sundays.

With his blessing the team would never loose.   ;)

Lmao Fringe. On a more serious note.. What's the smallest NHL stadium? Could we build say a 10k seat NHL stadium at the south end of the EaDo promenade? Or on a portion of the mega parking lot between MMP/59 and BBVA? Create an even more cohesive sports district..

When NHL games/practices arent going on the venue could be used for public ice skating or local hockey leagues during the day time hours and at night things like hosting rotating residences by different performances like Disney on Ice, a Cirque De Soile(?) Ice show, etc..

I realize using Toyota Center would be the most feasible location for an NHL team, but Alexander doesn't seem interested, and lots of other cities have their own designated NHL stadiums.

Lmao Fringe. On a more serious note.. What's the smallest NHL stadium? Could we build say a 10k seat NHL stadium at the south end of the EaDo promenade? Or on a portion of the mega parking lot between MMP/59 and BBVA? Create an even more cohesive sports district..

When NHL games/practices arent going on the venue could be used for public ice skating or local hockey leagues during the day time hours and at night things like hosting rotating residences by different performances like Disney on Ice, a Cirque De Soile(?) Ice show, etc..

I realize using Toyota Center would be the most feasible location for an NHL team, but Alexander doesn't seem interested, and lots of other cities have their own designated NHL stadiums.

Currently, the smallest NHL arena appears to be in Winnipeg, with 15,000 seats.  It seems quite unlikely they would award a new franchise or relocated team for an arena smaller than 15,000.

Currently, the smallest NHL arena appears to be in Winnipeg, with 15,000 seats. It seems quite unlikely they would award a new franchise or relocated team for an arena smaller than 15,000.

At least MTS Center (Winnipeg) is built for hockey. The Isles will move to Barclays Center to begin a 25 year lease this upcoming season, a basketball arena that will have many obstructed view seats of its 15,795 capacity. Bruce Ratner should've planned/designed Barclays around a hockey setup as most multipurpose arenas, as was originally envisioned in BK. Now it's a terrible arrangement for all, but the Isles simply ran out of options.

As for Hockey in Houston, it's no secret it all comes to Les Alexander and if it's a profitable venture for him. At $500 million dollar expansion fee, I think the best bet for Houston's NHL hopes is if he could swing a better deal with IceArizona Holdings for the Coyotes. Its possible... Alexander had a deal in principle to buy the Edmonton Oilers in 1997.

Archived