Crime In The Heights

PureAuteur

It was only through sheer resolve and the desire to sleep that i didn't go outside and throw rocks at that #$%@@#$ helicopter. After hearing it for an hour, I felt like it was low enough that I might have been able to hit it with at least one rock.

On the plus side, at least they use some sort of night vision rather than a spot light.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

My friend's house has been burglarized several times in the past few months, and they recently captured video of the (alleged) burglars in action. Check out the story/video below from KHOU Channel 11 about these burglaries in the Woodland Heights, and please pass it along in the hopes that someone recognizes these people so the police can catch them. Thanks.

http://www.khou.com/...-130735488.html

• Like 1

That's nuts! Glad the dog helped. I went into work late last week and saw a shady guy with a shopping cart walking up to several houses and looking through the front door in my neighborhood. Called the Constable patrol - they arrived in about 30 seconds (kudos to them)... they must be on extra alert for break-ins.

Tell your friend to find the best screenshot they can, and print out 100 color copies. Plaster them around the neighborhood and offer a reward. That'll scare these guys away, and might even entice one of their buddies to turn them in.

I know there were several garage break-ins on Pecore earlier in the summer, but I caught them stealing my neighbors lawnmower and called the cops who picked them up shortly after. One of my next door neighbors and I are both night owls, so we keep a good watch, but this was during the day which I feel these guys will get caught fast that way. The guy in red looked like he rolled his ankle when jumping the fence. I hope he's limping now.

Edited by SilverJK

One thing that some people screw up on.... They put the camera recording system out in the open or "hidden" in an obvious place. You'd figure they'd set up a dummy system. Additionally, I can't see why they don't do the same with cameras outside.

Lots of folks have at least one high visibility camera to act as a deterrent....I did some work installing cameras in high school. The first thing we learned for outdoor security cameras is to always ensure that you have a camera looking at every camera. That way they can't disable or steal one without being recorded doing so. We also always tried to place the best one we could on the street or driveway b/c most people show up in a car or truck to steal things and thieves usually are not smart enough to park it far enough away that we could not read the license plate. I used to love when they would park it directly in front of the camera get their plate recorded then break the camera and try to cover their face after its all on the dvr.

You should always have the dvr pretty well hidden too, ifs its near the TV like most people put it, they just steal the dvr when they leave...does not do you much good if you spend a bunch of money on security only to have it stolen as well.

If they come to my house, I sure hope they stick around long enough to meet my two dogs. That's one security system I am pretty certain they will not try to steal!

It was about 2 or 3 years ago that some guys broke in to a house in Timbergrove and whacked 2 large dogs (I can't remember the breed, but it was one of your common "security breeds" like Pitts or German Shepherds) with a crow bar. An extra level of hell has been created for people who rob houses and beat animals in the process. Sadly, though, criminals just aren't scared like they used to be.

It was about 2 or 3 years ago that some guys broke in to a house in Timbergrove and whacked 2 large dogs (I can't remember the breed, but it was one of your common "security breeds" like Pitts or German Shepherds) with a crow bar. An extra level of hell has been created for people who rob houses and beat animals in the process. Sadly, though, criminals just aren't scared like they used to be.

Certainly, generalizing criminals is as dangerous as it sounds, but in my 25 years in the business, I have found today's breed of burglar to be every bit as much, or more, wimpy than they were in the 80s and 90s. That is the reason they become burglars, because they don't have the guts to face up their victim. That is also why they burglarize during the day, because no one will be home (most of the time). But, make no mistake, burglars and car thieves are the bottom feeders on the criminal food chain.

On that rare occasion when the thug does something violent, such as attacking the dogs, it is almost a sure thing that they are on crack, or worse, meth. I've seen something nasty things done by meth heads.

Certainly, generalizing criminals is as dangerous as it sounds, but in my 25 years in the business, I have found today's breed of burglar to be every bit as much, or more, wimpy than they were in the 80s and 90s. That is the reason they become burglars, because they don't have the guts to face up their victim. That is also why they burglarize during the day, because no one will be home (most of the time). But, make no mistake, burglars and car thieves are the bottom feeders on the criminal food chain.

On that rare occasion when the thug does something violent, such as attacking the dogs, it is almost a sure thing that they are on crack, or worse, meth. I've seen something nasty things done by meth heads.

Obviously, you are the subject matter expert here so I believe what you're saying. My point was more that there are people out there who will not only do not care that you have dogs, they'll actually hurt them, so be careful what you wish for.

Obviously, you are the subject matter expert here so I believe what you're saying. My point was more that there are people out there who will not only do not care that you have dogs, they'll actually hurt them, so be careful what you wish for.

We were recently burglarized here in The Montrose. Our dog - a pit cross of about 55 pounds, was not hurt (thank goodness) but she didn't seem to be much of a deterrent. She has a very aggressive bark, so I can only imagine that these baddies are fearless.

Another friend in Old Braeswood was burglarized as well (during a weekday, the same as we were)and she has two bouvier of flanders. Big dogs.

HOUSTON – Hospital officials are hoping the public can help identify a jogger who was hit by a car in the Heights Wednesday morning.

The woman was struck near the corner of Heights Boulevard and 11th Street and taken to Memorial Hermann in the Texas Medical Center in critical condition.

She was not carrying identification.

Hospital officials described the woman as white, possibly in her early 40s. She has short blonde hair and blue-green eyes. She’s about 5 feet, 7 inches tall and weighs around 120 pounds.

Officials said she has a cherry blossom tattoo on her left flank, and a fish tattoo on her right ankle.

She wears a silver wedding band.

Anyone who might have information on the woman’s identity is asked to call Memorial Hermann at 713-704-4000.

I don't really have anything to add, but I jog along this trail regularly without ID. Who jogs with a wallet or anything else for that matter? Houston drivers are crazy and this could happen to anyone. Of course this may not have been the drivers fault.

Edited by ToolMan

Yeah I run all the time and carry nothing. I sweat like a damn pig, anything I carry would be destroyed. Big government should just give me my barcode tattoo or chip implant so I can be located whenever I go off my rocker and get lost.

You might be able to convince a vet to chip you like a dog. Or, there's nothing to stop you from having your name and other details tattooed on your arm.

I don't really have anything to add, but I jog along this trail regularly without ID. Who jogs with a wallet or anything else for that matter? Houston drivers are crazy and this could happen to anyone. Of course this may not have been the drivers fault.

Yeah I run all the time and carry nothing. I sweat like a damn pig, anything I carry would be destroyed. Big government should just give me my barcode tattoo or chip implant so I can be located whenever I go off my rocker and get lost.

<$20 to spare your family some significant grief.

http://www.roadid.com/Common/Catalog.aspx?C=RoadID#3

If I recall correctly, and I am sure I will be corrected if I don't, if you cross 11th from the jogging path, you do not have the benefit of a crosswalk or walk/do not walk signal. The intersection is designed so that people on the path are supposed to first cross Heights to the corner of 11th and Heights, then cross 11th, then cross Heights again to get back on the jogging path. While the inattentive jogger is apparently, and tragically, at fault in this for wearing headphones and crossing while the light was green, it may also be that this accident could have been avoided had there been a cross walk and signal that went directly across 11th st. Of course, this would probably require a time when the traffic signals at both Heights and 11th are red to allow people to cross the street. But, given the popularity of the trail, the danger of an accident and the minimal burden on vehicle traffic, it may be something that could help prevent an accident like this. In fact, too often, even with alert pedestrians, there is a bit of a game of chicken between pedestrians and north bound Heights Blvd traffic that is turning left onto 11th st. because people crossing 11th are not protected.

• Like 2

Apparently she just stepped right out in front of the car. Feel sorry for her but when jogging or for that matter cycling, you should not be plugged into an ipod. It's distracting and you need all your senses to be alert.

Same can be said for motorists with ipod \ stereo \ gps \ while smoking \ shaving \ drinking etc...

I still find it hard to believe she just ran straight into oncoming traffic, but maybe so.