Crime In The Heights

PureAuteur

Don't forget, these are the people that complained when the City tried to redo Yale Street, filed lawsuits against the City for an agreement to redo Heights and Yale around the proposed Walmart, and complained about an agreement to redo the streets around the proposed Kroger. Some even complained about spending money to repave 11th and Studewood. If word gets out that the City is repaving the sidewalks surrounding neighborhood schools (last month they redid Pecore), they'll probably complain about that too.

And you fell very nicely into my trap. The sidewalks in the Heights have been crap for as long as I can remember. Thus, it makes perfectly good sense to protest when a hated Walmart gets my tax dollars to put in sidewalks that they would have normally been required to pay for themselves. Why? Because those tax dollars should be going to redo the sidewalks in the residential neighborhood and not to Walmart and the developer's profit margin. But it will never happen because the City will be on the hook for somewhere just south of 2 mil a year for ten years to repay Walmart's developer for infrastructure they could well afford to pay for themselves. CIF dollars will run dry as the City gives away its tax revenues to any developer looking to drop another big box anchored strip mall in the city of Houston.

As for the crack about the $400 strollers, try taking a walk down a twisted Heights sidewalk with one of those and see whether you can make it 50 feet without ending up with a screaming baby.

This is why no one listens to you. I just pointed out that the sidewalks on my block are in good repair, and that many sidewalks are being redone, so you ignore that and claim the exact opposite. You can't be taken seriously when you simply make up facts to suit your argument.

BTW, those overpriced strollers are built for jogging on rough surfaces. Like I said, clearly these moms are buying them merely for show. I assume that includes you. And here's something else. It's one thing when you choose to jog in front of oncoming traffic. It's another thing entirely when you subject your child to being killed by a vehicle because you cannot be inconvenienced by those horrid Heights sidewalks. We have parks all over the place around here. If you care so little about your child as to place her in harms way, I hope the DA has the guts to charge you with negligent homicide when the child is killed.

Actually the sidewalk on my street is not crap. Its a multi million dollar project designed for bike travel and I am told that its just not good enough for bikes for a variety of reasons apparently (too many people use it, sometimes a car iss illegally parked on it, theres a stop sign at every cross street, etc) and that I should just be happy with my 15 mph and that bike in front of my has a right to use the street because and he prefers it to the brand new path built specially for him about 20 feet away.

Actually the sidewalk on my street is not crap. Its a multi million dollar project designed for bike travel and I am told that its just not good enough for bikes for a variety of reasons apparently (too many people use it, sometimes a car iss illegally parked on it, theres a stop sign at every cross street, etc) and that I should just be happy with my 15 mph and that bike in front of my has a right to use the street because and he prefers it to the brand new path built specially for him about 20 feet away.

The Nicholson trail is a multi-use path, not specifically for bikes. Bikes are required to yield to pedestrians on the path. This can be quite difficult when there are people walking their dogs with leashes and children stretched all over the MUP. Sometimes the street is just easier. Yes, you do need to share the road with cyclists. Eventually the cyclist will either clear from in front of you or you'll see an opportunity to pass.

• Like 1

Please cite the municipal ordinance(s) that would have required Wal-Mart to pay for new sidewalks.

What about this one?

Chapter 40, Article III, Sec. 40-84. - Duties of abutting property owners; failure of property owners to have work done.

It shall be the duty of every owner of real estate in the city, abutting on any public street in the city, in front of which real estate or along which street the city council may order the construction, reconstruction or repair, or bringing to grade of sidewalks, driveways, curbs or gutters, or any of them, to cause the same to be constructed, reconstructed or repaired or bring the same to grade, as the case may be, in accordance with the terms of such order, the specifications set out in this article and on the line and grade as established by the city engineer for the particular block, street or community in which the real estate may be situated. Such property owners shall cause to be constructed such improvements in front of their respective property after the giving of notice as prescribed in this article, within the time fixed by the city council. After the expiration of the time indicated in the notice to construct, reconstruct, repair or regrade, if the abutting owner shall not have built such improvements as ordered and indicated in the notice, then the city shall have the right to construct the same in accordance with the order for the same, and the standard specifications hereinafter set out, under the supervision of the city engineer, and may advertise for bids or may itself construct such improvements, at the expense of the abutting property owner, and may recover a personal judgment in any court having jurisdiction of the amount for the cost and expense in constructing, reconstructing, repairing or regrading such sidewalks, driveways, curbs and gutters, with ten percent additional for attorneys' fees, and may, by ordinance, fix a lien on the property improved.

(Code 1968, § 41-84; Ord. No. 90-635, § 110, 5-23-90)

• Like 1

What are the rules for sidewalk repair in the city? One of my neighbors was told, via a letter from COH, that she was responsible for repairing the CURB, (not just the sidewalk) in front of her house.

In our neighborhood, the city does not repair them unless the city tears them up as in replacing a water main etc.

I guess kylejack just answered my question. So now, I'd ask why, if the sidewalks in the heights are so bad, doesn't the city enforce repairs?

Edited by little frau

What are the rules for sidewalk repair in the city? One of my neighbors was told, via a letter from COH, that she was responsible for repairing the CURB, (not just the sidewalk) in front of her house.

In our neighborhood, the city does not repair them unless the city tears them up as in replacing a water main etc.

I guess kylejack just answered my question. So now, I'd ask why, if the sidewalks in the heights are so bad, doesn't the city enforce repairs?

Mostly because they are not as bad as the poster claims. She has to make up stories to support her position. The fact remains that the stroller nazis are breaking the law, subjecting them to criminal prosecution when their kids are struck by vehicles. No doubt some will try to blame the driver for the criminal conduct of the stroller nazis.

For the inevitable request for a cite....

Sec. 552.006. USE OF SIDEWALK. (a) A pedestrian may not walk along and on a roadway if an adjacent sidewalk is provided and is accessible to the pedestrian.(B) If a sidewalk is not provided, a pedestrian walking along and on a highway shall if possible walk on:(1) the left side of the roadway; or(2) the shoulder of the highway facing oncoming traffic.© The operator of a vehicle emerging from or entering an alley, building, or private road or driveway shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian approaching on a sidewalk extending across the alley, building entrance or exit, road, or driveway.

For those who believe stroller nazis won't be charged for recklessly endangering their child's life...

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/15147393/ga-woman-to-be-sentenced-for-childs-accident

Edited by RedScare

What about this one?

The sidewalk in front of the Wal-Mart site does not appear to be in disrepair such that it would merit reconstruction. It is narrow, but seemingly in accordance with the original design. An order by the City to repair it would serve no public purpose other than to be punitive against the developer, Ainbinder.

My understanding is that the 380 Agreement will fund the construction of especially wide sidewalks. However, much of the sidewalk along Yale will remain very narrow due to the characteristics of the grade separation under the railroad tracks, so it is unclear that very much at all can or will be done with that particular stretch of sidewalk.

The sidewalk-related component of the 380 Agreement probably ranks as the least expensive of what is proposed. So s3mk's argument also strikes me as something of a red herring. We should ignore her insipid rhetoric.

The Nicholson trail is a multi-use path, not specifically for bikes. Bikes are required to yield to pedestrians on the path. This can be quite difficult when there are people walking their dogs with leashes and children stretched all over the MUP. Sometimes the street is just easier. Yes, you do need to share the road with cyclists. Eventually the cyclist will either clear from in front of you or you'll see an opportunity to pass.

We all must do what we must do, but it wont keep me from thinking the guy holding me up is an ass.

The sidewalk in front of the Wal-Mart site does not appear to be in disrepair such that it would merit reconstruction. It is narrow, but seemingly in accordance with the original design. An order by the City to repair it would serve no public purpose other than to be punitive against the developer, Ainbinder.

My understanding is that the 380 Agreement will fund the construction of especially wide sidewalks. However, much of the sidewalk along Yale will remain very narrow due to the characteristics of the grade separation under the railroad tracks, so it is unclear that very much at all can or will be done with that particular stretch of sidewalk.

The sidewalk-related component of the 380 Agreement probably ranks as the least expensive of what is proposed. So s3mk's argument also strikes me as something of a red herring. We should ignore her insipid rhetoric.

But doesn't new construction have to update the sidewalks to the new required code? (In 2009, width increased from 4 feet to 5 feet).If the existing sidewalk is sufficient, I still don't see why we need to spend millions of city money on it.

Edited by kylejack

But doesn't new construction have to update the sidewalks to the new required code? (In 2009, width increased from 4 feet to 5 feet).If the existing sidewalk is sufficient, I still don't see why we need to spend millions of city money on it.

Your response leads me to believe that you are unfamiliar with the physical constraints with respect to the grade separation along Yale. Also, do you seriously believe that the sidewalk improvements are going to cost millions of dollars? Did you even bother to read my post?

Edited by TheNiche

It would, but this is not a $6 million sidewalk project, despite some people's claims to the contrary. The street improvements would not be required. The City is simply moving up the date in which it would have redone these streets anyway. While most of us would appreciate the City upgrading our streets and sidewalks, some complain about everything. Like I said, some complained about 11th Street and Studewood being rehabbed, even though no Walmart or Kroger was being built there. There is a very perverse mindset amongst some Heights residents that goes far beyond the 'save the bungalows' mentality toward some kind of 'let's return to 1910' mentality. And, it does not break down necessarily along political or socioeconomic lines, as many of the opponents of infrastructure improvements also praise the overpriced boutiques and restaurants that have opened, even though a few of them opened in new construction. It is just some bizarre manifestation of elitism or perhaps pseudo hipsterism, I suppose. I am not a member, so I do not get it at all.

We all must do what we must do, but it wont keep me from thinking the guy holding me up is an ass.

Excuses.

Why did they redo Pecore's sidewalks? While I appreciate the nice new sidewalks, they weren't that bad before? I spend a lot of time on my longboard in the neighborhood, and I can tell you that a majority of the sidewalks are completely fine for strollers (if 70mm wheels can roll over them without issue, they are fine) There are sections of sidewalks that are completely not passable on my longboard (i think a stroller would be fine). There are other sections that are completely destroyed, but I find those to be more of the exception than the rule. Now don't get me wrong, a majority of my riding takes place on the street, but when i see traffic coming I make my way to the sidewalk (or if its just a busy street). I think its the stoller pushers self entitlment causing the issue. They also push 2-3 abreast on the bike path and expect me to yield to them. I do yield (crashing sucks for everyone), which takes some effort/risk considering i have no brakes and can't ride through grass well.

That's because all you can see is his ass.

Notwithstanding all of the very credible reasons why he is front of you, are you really in such a big hurry that it matters? If it's that big of a deal, you have the ability to limit your time on Nicholson to one block at the most.

The Houston Press has an article on some of the people arrested for burglarizing the heights.

http://blogs.houston...ing_smashed.php

The black guy Octavius sure looks like the guy in the black shirt from the surveillance video above....if it is him, then it appears there is a 5th suspect they have not apprehended yet. This video should be about all they need to get their stumbling bozo off the streets.

EDIT - the comments are priceless!

Edited by Marksmu

The black guy Octavius sure looks like the guy in the black shirt from the surveillance video above....if it is him, then it appears there is a 5th suspect they have not apprehended yet. This video should be about all they need to get their stumbling bozo off the streets.

EDIT - the comments are priceless!

I know these criminals! I confronted them at Halbert Park about 6 months ago when a 6-7 of them were gathered in the tennis court on a weekend evening. It looked to me like a gang meeting and I told them to go home. They proudly said that they were the H8s gang and the one named Nathaniel Cook said that he works at Krogers - he also showed me his tatoos by lifting his shirt. I scolded them for about 15 minutes like I was their parent. Some of them harassed me as I went on my way walking my dog by following me on their bikes and calling me names. I've seen them at Halbert Park in the basketball court a few times since then, and now they respect me [it seems], by being friendly and flashing me the gang sign occasionally.

Yes, I know, kinda stupid on my part walkiing up to a gang meeting. I had a couple of Margaritas from ElTiempo earlier. I guess my advice for them to get jobs didn't exactly work.

The comments - I don't think they could even be real...they have to be planted for entertainment. Nobody, not even a complete moron incapable of feeding themselves, could possibly be that stupid....sadly though, I think its just part of the *thug* lifestyle. Remember though that thug life....its a culture - you need to respect the culture, else you be a racist!

Those comments are some of the funniest stuff I've read in a long time! Reading them gave me a "Welcome to my world" feeling. I don't doubt that many of them are friends or family. Many of these thugs and their friends/family really are that stupid. However, the best part was watching the interaction between the thuggage and the public. It is rare for the public to get even a peek inside the system. A person gets victimized, and a cop shows up to take a report. Usually, that is the last they hear of it. Occasionally, someone is arrested, and the victim gets a call from an ADA doing a 'RIP' call. That is where the ADA calls the victim and asks how much Restitution is owed for the loss, any Injuries sustained in the crime, and asks the victim's opinion on Punishment. The ADA makes a note of the answers inside the file, and that's usually the last you hear from them. There is simply too much work for too few prosecutors to do much more. Back in the day, they did not call you at all. And, you never get to talk to the defendant. Most victims do not come down to court to even see them.

So, to see the thugs' families commenting on the article, allowing the public to weigh in, was priceless! I see these people every day. I talk to their families. Sometimes I talk to the victims. Occasionally, I may spend more time with the victims than the DA does. While certainly not all defendants are as stupid as some of the posters on that article, many are. It tends to be an age thing. The older defendants tend to lay low, don't make excuses, and hope the defense lawyer can plea bargain well. The younger ones have stupid stories that they expect you to believe. Almost ALL of them have parents that believe their crap, though, over time, they believe less of it. The family always tells you what ailment is killing them, as if anyone cares, or that mom's cancer or dad's stroke is the reason Johnny broke into 30 homes. Oh, and Jesus. They ALL pray to Jesus! I swear, I think that's why I'm agnostic, because I'm afraid this Jesus character is going to talk me into a life of crime. And, EVERY SINGLE ONE of them has some moronic girlfriend that believes their Johnny was falsely accused. If only those girlfriends had jobs so they could pay Johnny's fee.

That said, I still love this stuff.

• Like 1

this is what happens with gentrification....they were there first when no one wanted to live close...people with money (or resources) come on it, basically push them out or try to live among them and the divide is too great and it spills over