Crime In The Heights

PureAuteur

• 2 weeks later...

You mean those "No defecating in the bushes" signs are meant for people?!? I always seen them when I go to the CVS across the street, but I just thought they meant don't let your dogs poo in the bushes. It's probably what I assumed because I got yelled at before for letting my dog poo in someone's yard. My dog was in mid-poo when I got yelled at, I had the plastic baggie in hand ready to pick it up once she was finished doing her business, but the little old lady who owned the house was too fast.

I figured we needed some pictures to more adequetely describe this house and it's signs. I really like the "no prostitution" vehicle sexy woman picture. Also the no needles and tampons sign works too.

Someone should market and distribute at local hardware stores. Would sell like hot cakes. Better do it before someone beats you to it. Serious, anything goes these days. Add on "No pill popping" "No glue huffing", etc.

Wow! has Plastic been re-incarnated? Son of Plastic? He was kind of funny and humorous of course. :lol:

[quote name='musicman' date='Saturday, December 1st, 2007 @ 7:15am' post='214131'

The owners of a home on the edge of an upscale North Houston neighborhood and a blighted stretch of Shepherd Drive have turned their lawn into a spectacle that aims to embarrass police and Metro into taking action.

Wow! What I think is interesting about all this is that the media said Garden Oaks is 1) north Houston and 2) upscale. I often get questions like "Are you scared for your safety living in the Heights?" "What made you buy in such a transitional area?" :wacko:

Edited by heights_yankee

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I subscribe to a lot of newspapers so in addition to the standard issue city recycle bin we use a $10 clear plastic bin from Lowes. Last night the recycling truck came late and I forgot to go out and pick up the bins. This morning when I go outside to get the newspapers I see that I forgot to pick up the bins and I also see that the only one left is the green city bin; sometime in the middle of the night someone must have come down my street and taken my extra bin.

Not that it was a lot of money and not that it's irreplaceable, and yes, I know that living in the big city entails the risk of theft from your fellow citizens blah blah blah, but for some reason this just pisses me off. What kind of person just drives down the street and stops and takes something that doesn't belong to them, just because it's there? Lowes is 5 blocks away and it only cost $10, are you that hard up for a cheap plastic box? Yes, that is a rhetorical question. Last year someone broke into my garage and took about $1000 worth of power tools and, strangely, I feel much the same way this morning over a cheap plastic box, maybe even more so because at least I know whoever stole my tools at least got some money for them. Not that any of that stuff, the tools or the box, was all THAT important, it's just a sense of violation and disrespect. Doing such a thing would NEVER cross my mind - it's just really foreign to me that someone else would think it's OK.

OK, rant off.

Not that it was a lot of money and not that it's irreplaceable, and yes, I know that living in the big city entails the risk of theft from your fellow citizens blah blah blah, but for some reason this just pisses me off.
it's the petty crimes that piss people off the most. you're not alone. i hate to say this but what if the recycling truck took your container as recyclable material?

it's the petty crimes that piss people off the most. you're not alone. i hate to say this but what if the recycling truck took your container as recyclable material?

No, I've been using it for a few months now and they treat just like another container - they dump it into the truck and leave it empty on the sidewalk.

No, I've been using it for a few months now and they treat just like another container - they dump it into the truck and leave it empty on the sidewalk.

sometimes they have temporary people who don't know better. at least it wasn't your garage again.

Sorry to hear it.

Is there a chance that the person who took it might have thought it was put out as heavy trash? There are people who drive around to get items put out for heavy trash before the city takes them - and packing materials are sometimes put out for heavy trash. Just trying to think of a reason someone might have thought it was ok to take, in case you're still trying to rationalize it.

And I know it's beside the point, but I think the city will give you a second green bin.

I'll never forget when one of our Woodlands neighbors down the street took our Green Waste Management can. I don't think they noticed that hubby had branded it. >:) When he confronted her on it, her response was, "Well someone took mine and I needed to throw our trash out. We have more kids than you." :blink:

He told me he was speachless and rolled the can away, with her trash in it and all, as she stared at him.

My parents had a manger scene in the front yard. First, someone stole baby Jesus and then a couple nights later they came back and crashed the manger. And they live in a very nice neighborhood. We're not safe from stupid selfish people anywhere.

Edited by lockmat

^^ I drive north on Shepherd toward 59 (from Rice U area) often, and there is a house on a corner that has a nativity scene- I would notice it every time because it's pretty big. Managed to last through the new year, but this past Sunday little Jesus was gone...

But back to more on topic stolen plastic goods:

A friend's neighbor had the wheels stolen off their COH trash bin...

I'll never forget when one of our Woodlands neighbors down the street took our Green Waste Management can. I don't think they noticed that hubby had branded it. >:) When he confronted her on it, her response was, "Well someone took mine and I needed to throw our trash out. We have more kids than you." :blink:

He told me he was speachless and rolled the can away, with her trash in it and all, as she stared at him.

I'd have told her "Your kids aren't my responsibility. And you're not doing them any favors by teaching them that it's OK to steal from your neighbors. If I ever catch you with my trash can again, you can expect a visit from CPS." >:)

they will. I've got three and it's still not enough. as little actual reportiing as there is in the Chronicle, it sure is a lot of paper.

Sorry to hear it.

Is there a chance that the person who took it might have thought it was put out as heavy trash? There are people who drive around to get items put out for heavy trash before the city takes them - and packing materials are sometimes put out for heavy trash. Just trying to think of a reason someone might have thought it was ok to take, in case you're still trying to rationalize it.

And I know it's beside the point, but I think the city will give you a second green bin.

• 4 weeks later...

A few years ago, a city activist/lawyer was murdered at his home on Worthshire in Timbergrove. After he was shot, the house was set afire presumably to cover the crime. I think his name was Allem or something like that. The victim was gay, and I believe he was a gay activist. Those are the “facts” as I remember them.

Sometime after that murder, another gay was shot and killed, and his house set on fire. The house was on Rosslyn the second house from Latexo. Now, I only mentioned the guys were gay to show the striking similarity of the two cases.

So, was Allem’s murder ever solved? And does anyone know if there was a connection to the two cases?

Edited by Heights2Bastrop

Here is an article from 2005:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2005_4012746

The case remains open despite the 50 to 100 tips and leads detectives have followed and an offer of up to $15,000 in reward money for information leading to an arrest.

The devastating blaze on Nov. 21, 2003, later determined to be arson, left few pieces of physical evidence, but investigators said there is no single cause for the impasse.

"The fire was a factor. A lot of good evidence was lost," Houston police homicide Detective C.P. Abbondandolo said. "But, sometimes a case just takes a long time to solve."

Detectives said they will now return to textbook homicide investigation, which will include questioning inmates in the Texas prison system who might shed some light on the slaying - for a price. "Talking to people who have information and are willing to trade it for something," Abbondandolo said.

Allyn's family members either could not be reached for comment or declined to talk about the case. His friends, however, remain hopeful but admit that waiting for a witness to come forward is frustrating.

"I don't know that I could live my life knowing a secret that took someone else's. I hope at some point that somebody's conscience gets the better of them," said Lisa Liles, who met Allyn while they were students at the University of Houston.

And from 2003 when it happened:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2003_3710206

On his last night, influential City Hall lobbyist Ross Allyn attended a political fund-raiser and had a late dinner with a friend, during which he confided fears that his phones were tapped. When they parted, the friend said, all seemed well.

Within hours, Allyn was found dead inside his home in the 900 block of Worthshire after a suspicious fire swept through it, Houston homicide investigators said.

We are going around our property to be sure we have the proper security measures in place without going over board. I recall reading about some garage break-ins. What can we do about that? Our detached garage has a garage door with an automatic garage door opener so doesn't really open manually (at least I think that's how that works). Is that enough to protect our golf clubs, etc in the garage or should we be doing more?

Thank you for your advice.

We have a detached garage and what they did at our house was jump the fence into the backyard and then go through the regular door into the garage and took some stuff. So make sure that you have a lock on your regular door to the garage and keep it locked all the time.

if they want to get in they will. all you can do is make their entry as difficult as possible and hopefully they'll go elsewhere. i know a civic club president told me how at least 3 garages were broken into by sawing through the wall. there's no way you can protect yourself from that.