Crime In The Heights

PureAuteur

Before everyone gets in an uproar about what HPD does and does do, and should and should not do, consider the fact that no one posting here has information that HPD has a "minor vs. major" crime policy, or that they treat burglaries as lesser crimes. In fact, I happen to know that the DA's office treats them very seriously. I doubt that HPD treats them less so. However, with 27,000 burglaries a year, often times with little physical evidence, it may appear that nothing is happening. The important thing with lilyheights situation is to build a record. So call often, and make sure you are specific as to the address where the problem is. Eventually, the City may use that info to adress the building owner's renting practices.

As for the non-emergency number AND 311, I have had good success with both. I'm not sure why 1stWord had such a poor experience. Could it be because you live in Spring?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for the non-emergency number AND 311, I have had good success with both. I'm not sure why 1stWord had such a poor experience. Could it be because you live in Spring?

:lol: good one, Red.

lily:

I have been battling drug dealers on the alley behind my home for a year now. I have been dealing with officers from the Ana Maria Lopez HPD Storefront on Quitman-713-222-5196. They came out initially and cited them for cars, dogs, dog houses, bath tubs and sofas in the alley. In addition, they sited them for constuction materials lying on the ground on their property-illegal for pest nesting concerns and spent oil in plastic jugs lying about. They gave them 10 days to clean it up-they didn't. When they came back they ticketed them $500 for each offence. The officer told me they use obscure ordinances to weed out these types. In addition, two of the homes on our "Crack Alley" are 4 years arrears in taxes. The officer told us our best hope is the houses in question will be repossessed for back taxes and torn down as they are a hazard in and of themselves. Try the Quitman storefront and if they are not in your jurisdiction, they can direct you to the proper storefront. You really have to dog them as we have but I think I'm beginning to se a pay-off. Don't forget persistant badgering on 311 as well.

Good Luck.

B)

Visiting the old grand parents on several occassions and called the 311 and 884 numbers to report non emergencies and ended up in a holding pattern each time. Just didnt think these 2 old people should have to tolerate the crap that was going on in thier area, in a house they pay taxes on as well as several rental properties. 311 was branded as the avenue to go to for help, and its proven to be a dead end street each time :( :( I did however notice some changes after contacting thier city council members office. Nothing to do with my own address.......

The storefront for The Heights is on Durham on the backside corner of the Kroger Shopping Center on 11th way in the back. Go there during normal business hours and explain the situation to them.

Makes me wonder if Michael Barry is the landlord of the fiveplex? :)

I just want to clarify that not everyone living in the five plex is a problem. Just stupid guy and stupid guys customers that call to him from the street, get their stuff, and then walk around inhaling. The other tenants don't make a whole lotta money, but they're not making any trouble for anyone either.

• 7 months later...

There is a neighbor of ours that enjoys revving his motorcycle engine while transiting through the neighborhood (especially by our bedroom window). It is more than just a loud muffler, this guy purposely revs the bike's engine in such a manner that shakes the glass windows in the house. When we moved in a year ago another neighbor warned us about the loud motorcycle guy.

My wife finally had enough of it this weekend and followed him 2 short blocks to his house and confronted him. Politely she asked him to not use so much throttle when driving by our house and to quit attempting to set off the car alarm. He responded by telling us to adjust our alarm sensitivity (it was already as low as it could go) and to not tell him how to ride his bike.

Well so much for the polite attempt at resolving the situation. But I figured maybe he would adjust his behavior just to be a nice neighbor anyways. I was wrong. Last night he revved his bike louder then ever before making several passes throughout the night (10:30ish and say 4 AM).

I know I can not be the only Heights resident that is tired of waking up to this noise. Can anyone else hear him? Any suggestions on how to get this to stop?

Have we attempted to file a formal complaint, with say, the police. There are ordinances against this I am sure. Please note there are possible repercussions to this, he sounds like the kind of guy who'd might key a car. But if a group of neighbors got together and made the complaint, it might get a little further with the cops. I ride a scooter myself, and I run Vance Hines drag pipes, but I also don't rev down through a neighborhood. If his bike is legal, (muffler wise) it may be more difficult to deal with, if not it may be not to bad to deal with. Very precarious situation indeed.

TJ would just say shoot him with a 44 mag and be done with it, but the would have more to be concerned with then, than a loud scooter.

Good Luck.

There is a neighbor of ours that enjoys revving his motorcycle engine while transiting through the neighborhood (especially by our bedroom window). It is more than just a loud muffler, this guy purposely revs the bike's engine in such a manner that shakes the glass windows in the house. When we moved in a year ago another neighbor warned us about the loud motorcycle guy.

There is safety in numbers, if you and you neighbors can rally together in this, he at least won't take revenge just on you.

He can't target any one if the whole neighborhood hates his bad habits and maybe this will really let him know that he is being monitored.

Multiple phone calls from different households will definately get noticed by the HPD.

My wife finally had enough of it this weekend and followed him 2 short blocks to his house and confronted him. Politely she asked him to not use so much throttle when driving by our house and to quit attempting to set off the car alarm. He responded by telling us to adjust our alarm sensitivity (it was already as low as it could go) and to not tell him how to ride his bike.

Well so much for the polite attempt at resolving the situation. But I figured maybe he would adjust his behavior just to be a nice neighbor anyways. I was wrong. Last night he revved his bike louder then ever before making several passes throughout the night (10:30ish and say 4 AM).

I know I can not be the only Heights resident that is tired of waking up to this noise. Can anyone else hear him? Any suggestions on how to get this to stop?

I have a guy like that , he lives behind me, I think he rides a crappy little Harley Sportster, I guess he couldn't afford the real Harley like I used to have. He goes to work at weird hours, but he doesn't really bother me. If he were to wake up the kids though in the middle of night, well, It would be ON from that point, and I have a pretty good feeling there would be one less motorcycle rider living behind me.

I would lodge a formal complaint with your HOA. They should have noise ordinances in place, also talk to your local Constable who patrols. If he catches him "revvvvvvvving" while going buy dwellings, he'll get slapped with a fine for noise ordinance also. Anything over 96dbs, after 10pm in the city is a big NO NO ! I see you live in Northwood, but I would have sworn you lived in Bear Creek, by your description of this character.

There is safety in numbers, if you and you neighbors can rally together in this, he at least won't take revenge just on you.

He can't target any one if the whole neighborhood hates his bad habits and maybe this will really let him know that he is being monitored.

Multiple phone calls from different households will definately get noticed by the HPD.

documentation of these is also important. get yourself familiar with the noise and nuisance ordinances.

get your neighborhood together and make sure everyone will step up.

once you have your ducks in a row, then start filming him as he drives by.

after you start to file reports, keep your camera or monitors devices on your cars and home. the personality type says he'll strike out. that's when you have him.

to be honest, your wife should have probably worded it a different and say "neighborhood" instead of "our house"

documentation of these is also important. get yourself familiar with the noise and nuisance ordinances.

get your neighborhood together and make sure everyone will step up.

once you have your ducks in a row, then start filming him as he drives by.

after you start to file reports, keep your camera or monitors devices on your cars and home. the personality type says he'll strike out. that's when you have him.

to be honest, your wife should have probably worded it a different and say "neighborhood" instead of "our house"

All of this is very sound, no pun intended, advice, good job ricco

All of this is very sound, no pun intended, advice, good job ricco

that's why i earn the small bucks.

let me know if you want to know what kind of set up you need for surveillance that won't cost you an arm and leg.

I just got off the phone with HPD central patrol. (Heights Storefront is temp out of service due to Rats)

He said there was no report that could be filed. The only way to combat the problem is to call the dispatch when it occurs and then the officer must witness the violation (as the officer is the complainant in the courtroom).

I don't think the likelihood of HPD responding in time to witness the event is possible.

Where at HPD should I attempt to file the complaint?

I just got off the phone with HPD central patrol. (Heights Storefront is temp out of service due to Rats)

He said there was no report that could be filed. The only way to combat the problem is to call the dispatch when it occurs and then the officer must witness the violation (as the officer is the complainant in the courtroom).

I don't think the likelihood of HPD responding in time to witness the event is possible.

I am thinking video with audio and a time stamp might help.

Of course there is always TJ!!! :huh:

I am thinking video with audio and a time stamp might help.

Of course there is always TJ!!! :huh:

It would probably also help if you could stand at the edge of your property filming a decibel meter as he goes by. Seems to me that would be airtight.

You could also try the angry mob approach, where you and a bunch of your neighbors go over and have another word with him.

This appears to be the city ordinance/restriction on the matter.

This gives you an example of 65 and 58 dB

Just a guess...but you've probably got 100 dB at the property line once he has passed your house, and the exhaust outlets are pointed in your direction.

definitely gather like-minded folks and make separate complaints...

we have a loud motorcycle and a few vehicles that rattle the house with their sound systems, and while usually a daily irritation, they are pretty transient and not very predictable, so there's not much to be done about it

btw - i have never been on a motorcycle like that - if the vibrations can shake an entire house, i wonder what it's like to straddle it? :unsure::D

Wow ! They have really dropped the decibel ratings. That's great though. Stand outside and film his dumbass as he rides by I guarantee he'll "rev" it for you. His type can't help themselves and think they are impressing you, while they don't understand they are sealing their own fate.

Wow ! They have really dropped the decibel ratings. That's great though. Stand outside and film his dumbass as he rides by I guarantee he'll "rev" it for you. His type can't help themselves and think they are impressing you, while they don't understand they are sealing their own fate.

Here you can borrow TJ's new DVR I'm through with it!

44mag5240gr.jpg

If he has a set schedule why not "Rent a Cop". Set up a chair, provide a soft drink, ask the cop to bring a DB Reader, and let him do his job. Shouldn't cost all that much I would think.

Scharpe St Guy

PROBABLY AROUND $100, $25HR. 4HR. minimum, why was I yelling ? Anywho, I'll let you borrow this gun instead of that weak pea shooter I let Mark borrow. This gun is louder than that biker's pipes, I guaranteee it.

desert_eagle.jpg

Rossi-Snub.jpg

This is what I carry on roadtrips. Rossi .38, it is easy for the wife to use and no kick at all, I just hope she won't try to use it on me someday.

However, I don't recommend using either on this motorcycle guy, sounds like the guy is just a 'tard and will create his own demise. be strong for just a little while longer, cooler heads prevail, and all those cliche's.

Do you know any of the officers in your area? You can file paperwork if he is habitual. be vigilant in your calling so that the dispatcher will document it. make sure and give them address and license plate of motor cycle. If it does happen, also call your neighbors and tell them to report it as well including the guy's address and license plate. doing it anonymously is fine and probably better.

My neighbor also played music very loud, day and night. But he no longer does it because i had the police out so many times. I will say that at nite, i find the HPD will NOT respond to loud noise calls. But during the day I've been luckier. The last time the guy saw the officer turn the corner and turned off the music.

I think the policeman you spoke too is just lazy or uninformed. Go to your PIP meeting and speak to the officers there. They will probalby be more helpful because usually the sergeant/captain of the station is in attendance so they will get off their butts.

:P - Oh, the trials and tribulations of living in The Heights! I've had my share of noisy, ignorant neighbors while living there, I certainly do not miss it one single bit. Good luck!

Since he's the sort of person that thinks it's cool to rev his motorcycle engine, he's probably also the kind of person who would think driving without a helmet is cool. Compliment his hair. Convince him to dump the helmet. Eventually the problem will take care of itself.

that sucks, sorry to hear about your situation. Guys like this give all Motorcyclists a bad name.....although this type of disturbance isn't limited to two-wheelers (car stereo's, loud old cars, barking dogs, etc..)

As far as your situation goes, persistence is the key. Calls to dispatch, discussions with officers and neighbors, etc.

Since he's the sort of person that thinks it's cool to rev his motorcycle engine, he's probably also the kind of person who would think driving without a helmet is cool. Compliment his hair. Convince him to dump the helmet. Eventually the problem will take care of itself.

That is the most sincere way getting rid of him for good, very clever! > :):ph34r:

I have one of those. Good Choice ;) I like editor's ideal the best. ^_^

I can relate to the beginner of this subject and am still in hysterics of this photo! There is a "bleep" person that does the same thing around my corner (so you know its loud if I can hear it) that doesn't give a flip what hour of the day/night/weekends yes even on Sunday mornings. Revs that sob so loud and takes offs. My neighbors are elderly and I have such sympathy for them because they have pretty much given up reporting him. We have other "hot on the grill" issues around here that this guy is like a pussycat by comparison. We are too busy dodging falling bullets and gang activity too.

Not to deviate from the story but what gets my blood boiling is how motorcycle riders criss-cross about 100 miles an around at the height of rush hour! Whats with that? Do police just turn the other way?

Should I just call 911 to say there is a psycho racing down the frwy and he is about to kill someone? I am so tempted to just swing open my car door so he can smack into it and really become airborne. Of course I would end up playing a harp in heaven next to this moron. Since we brought up the law is that aginst the law? These guys almost hit our cars as they squeeze between the cars.... Advice?

I slept through the night without any attacks last night. Maybe he is out of town.

Also - I really want to clarify that I have no ill feelings towards motorcycles in general and do not want this conversation to turn into that.

I have found that the Procter Plaza website also has a forum so I think I will also post some info on there.

Thank you for all of the good suggestions.

I slept through the night without any attacks last night. Maybe he is out of town.

Also - I really want to clarify that I have no ill feelings towards motorcycles in general and do not want this conversation to turn into that.

I have found that the Procter Plaza website also has a forum so I think I will also post some info on there.

Thank you for all of the good suggestions.

Don't get me wrong. I am a rider myself, I just don't condone such blatant Jackassedness behavior.

Archived