Crime In The Heights

PureAuteur

remove the emergency rope pull if there is one...you can push in the top of the door and snag it with a coat hanger..that releases the motor and you can open the door

Man Greaser, that is some excellent 411. I thought I had a criminal mind myself, but I am apparently NOT as crafty as you. You don;t live in my neighborhood do you ? LOL! ;)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are going around our property to be sure we have the proper security measures in place without going over board. I recall reading about some garage break-ins. What can we do about that? Our detached garage has a garage door with an automatic garage door opener so doesn't really open manually (at least I think that's how that works). Is that enough to protect our golf clubs, etc in the garage or should we be doing more?

Thank you for your advice.

Several things, but the premise is mostly deterrence. Increase criminals' perception of risk, and decrease their perception of probable reward.

*If they don't know that valuables are in a house, they're less likely to try to break in, so drapes and blinds (if your garage has any windows) can be good deterents.

*Have good lighting. Even a single light bulb, not hooked up to a motion sensor can go a long way to deterring crime. Anything that makes lighting 'dynamic', like a motion sensor or heat sensor, gives criminals a good scare, keeping them on their toes. If you have one and your neighbor doesn't, they're less likely to bother with you. More than anything else, I think that this is the most important thing to have.

*Replace glass windows (if any) with plexiglass. It'll take a little more time and attention to defeat, and they'll end up making more noise in the process. If you're into historical preservation, this may not be the route for you, but after all it is only a garage, and you should know that it is an option.

*A "This house is protected by _________" yard sign or sticker on the windows or front door serves as passive protection for the whole property. Someone that really needs to try breaking in somewhere has plenty of targets to choose from and is less likely to take the risk, even if they know that you're probably bluffing. Suppliment that with a sticker on the side door of your garage like one of these. You don't have to believe your own advertising, but the criminals may and think you a gun nut, and that's what counts.

*Burglar bars (if you have windows) make entry much more difficult and are one of the better deterrents to select from. Be forwarned that they are still defeatable and also make egress difficult in a fire, so use them at your own risk.

*If you want to get fancy, you can have an electrician install an alarm system. Noise makes criminals nervous. If they've already gained access, they'll probably go through with the crime, but won't spend as much time at it as they otherwise would have. Actually subscribing to a service like ADT is probably overkill. The noise is what's important.

*If all else fails, a "No Trespassing" sign in English and Spanish allows you (and police) to do a lot of unpleasant things to trespassers.

Just a couple of remarks.

Most burglars are not deterred by ADT signs or alarms. They know the police will not arrive for at least 10 minutes, and they plan to be gone by then. That said, it will deter a few, so the fake sign is a small investment that might deter the single burglar looking at your house.

On the tough-guy criminal food chain, burglars rank at the BOTTOM. They do not want confrontation. They also believe EVERY homeowner is armed. As such, tough gun talk means little. The best approach is to make it look like someone is home, ie, a car in the driveway, a TV on in the living room, a barking dog.

I have no idea why gun nuts and freerepublic types think a "No Trespassing" sign means anything. It doesn't. Homeowners are entitled to protect themselves and their homes. Signs add nothing to the already generous self-defense laws on the books. But, the myth persists.

Silent alarms are as close to worthless as anything you do. As Niche stated, LOUD on-premise alarms attract attention, and scare the burglars away. Be forewarned, numerous false alarms will have the opposite effect on neighbors. I will not so much as get up out of my chair for a car alarm. If you are not considerate of my preference for quiet, I really couldn't care less if someone steals the GPS out of your stinkin' Escalade.

Be aware that conspicuous displays of consumption not only lets your neighbors know that you have plenty of cash (or credit) to spend on creature comforts, but also lets burglars know that there are plenty of pawnshop items in your house. Show off at your own risk.

Finally, the number one reason for garage burglaries is an open or unlocked door. If you'll simply lock the door, even when you are in the house, you probably won't need to do anything else.

Just a couple of remarks.

Most burglars are not deterred by ADT signs or alarms. They know the police will not arrive for at least 10 minutes, and they plan to be gone by then. That said, it will deter a few, so the fake sign is a small investment that might deter the single burglar looking at your house.

On the tough-guy criminal food chain, burglars rank at the BOTTOM. They do not want confrontation. They also believe EVERY homeowner is armed. As such, tough gun talk means little. The best approach is to make it look like someone is home, ie, a car in the driveway, a TV on in the living room, a barking dog.

I have no idea why gun nuts and freerepublic types think a "No Trespassing" sign means anything. It doesn't. Homeowners are entitled to protect themselves and their homes. Signs add nothing to the already generous self-defense laws on the books. But, the myth persists.

Silent alarms are as close to worthless as anything you do. As Niche stated, LOUD on-premise alarms attract attention, and scare the burglars away. Be forewarned, numerous false alarms will have the opposite effect on neighbors. I will not so much as get up out of my chair for a car alarm. If you are not considerate of my preference for quiet, I really couldn't care less if someone steals the GPS out of your stinkin' Escalade.

Be aware that conspicuous displays of consumption not only lets your neighbors know that you have plenty of cash (or credit) to spend on creature comforts, but also lets burglars know that there are plenty of pawnshop items in your house. Show off at your own risk.

Finally, the number one reason for garage burglaries is an open or unlocked door. If you'll simply lock the door, even when you are in the house, you probably won't need to do anything else.

I agree with you, generally, Red, but a few things to bear in mind: 1) Burglers sometimes spend a fair bit of time doing a hit on a home; that may not be the same for a garage, but if the alarm is loud enough to make him at least think that the neighbors can hear it (whether that's true or not), my point is that many will only make one trip back to the getaway vehicle and then get away. 2) An HPD leiutenant told me before that "No Trespassing" signs can give them greater lattitude for them to act against trespassers if the resident isn't on site; it also (in their eyes, at the very least) gives me greater credibility if something goes down on my property without a witness. That may not be technically correct, but if that's what police believe, then I'm more than willing to accomodate them. 3) To the extent that criminals are not lawyers like yourself, Red, even an urban myth or half-myth can still be effective as a deterent. 4) A gun-nut sticker is tough talk. That's all it needs to be, and just like the fake ADT sign, its low cost threat of severe consequences can be an effective deterrent.

Finally, not all burglars act the same. Some are or are not brave, intelligent, well-informed regarding the law, impulsive, or observant, but they may be any combination of those factors. The greater number of these factors that a homeowner can play off of to make a would-be burglar not notice, not value, think twice, or make a hasty retreat (in that order) reduces the odds of property loss or the odds that it'll be a severe loss.

I agree with you on premise alarms. It is the silent alarms (which ironically cost the most) that are worthless.

I really hate to call police lieutenants idiots, but if one told you that, I have no other choice. Most cops are more intelligent than the one you describe. Not once in 21 years have I ever read a police report that mentions a trespassing sign. And, not once in 21 years have I ever heard that a silly sign on a HOMEOWNER'S lawn made a bit of difference. It may mean something at a business, but not a residence.

True, not all burglars are created equal. But, the only ones you can scare off are the amatuers. The pros will get in regardless what you do...and get away with it, too. The only way to stop them is to convince them someone is home. Home invasions are different...but rare. While Houstonians suffer approximately 27,000 burglaries a year, the number of armed burglaries numbers in the dozens. In other words, 99% of burglars do not want to meet the homeowner. The other 1% will be undeterred by any of the tactics you advocate.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, remember what I said in my earlier post about not showing conspicuous consumption? Gun nut stickers merely alert the intelligent burglar that the most valuable of all burglary booty is inside...guns.

Edited by RedScare

True, not all burglars are created equal. But, the only ones you can scare off are the amatuers. The pros will get in regardless what you do...and get away with it, too. The only way to stop them is to convince them someone is home. Home invasions are different...but rare. While Houstonians suffer approximately 27,000 burglaries a year, the number of armed burglaries numbers in the dozens. In other words, 99% of burglars do not want to meet the homeowner. The other 1% will be undeterred by any of the tactics you advocate.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, remember what I said in my earlier post about not showing conspicuous consumption? Gun nut stickers merely alert the intelligent burglar that the most valuable of all burglary booty is inside...guns.

If someone wants in badly enough, it can be done. I'm not disputing that or claiming that any sort of deterrence is 100% effective. I'm only suggesting ways so as to maximize deterrence.

A gun nut sticker like the ones I linked to doesn't indicate the quantity or types of firearms. I'm not saying to put up stickers indicating that the homeowner is a member of some hunting club; that is a signal that there's probably a reasonably nice rifle being kept there that isn't actively carried around by the home owner. I'm talking about threatening stickers that don't define the threat except to the effect that "If you are found here tonight, you will be found here tomorrow," or something crazy and morbid like that, perhaps with a generic illustration of a pistol.

Truer words have never been spoken!

:o:lol::lol::wacko:

Edited by TJones

A gun nut sticker like the ones I linked to doesn't indicate the quantity or types of firearms. I'm not saying to put up stickers indicating that the homeowner is a member of some hunting club; that is a signal that there's probably a reasonably nice rifle being kept there that isn't actively carried around by the home owner. I'm talking about threatening stickers that don't define the threat except to the effect that "If you are found here tonight, you will be found here tomorrow," or something crazy and morbid like that, perhaps with a generic illustration of a pistol.

I hear that wearing camoflauge clothing while mowing the lawn, and sitting on the front porch, yelling, "Hey kids, get off my lawn!", at the neighborhood youth, are also effective.

Edited by RedScare

Man Greaser, that is some excellent 411. I thought I had a criminal mind myself, but I am apparently NOT as crafty as you. You don;t live in my neighborhood do you ? LOL! ;)

Not sure....gimme your address and I`ll tell ya...what motor do you have in that classic????;) muahahhaha.

most newer subdivs, and older ones that don't enforce deed restrictions, don't have garage setbacks, with the result that garages are very near the front property lines. for a criminal there's a big difference in a garage door that is right there in front of them and one that's 60 feet back from the property line. driveway gates are also a good investment. Admittedly they could be pushed open by a determined person if not padlocked, but they are a substantial visual deterrent and add an extra layer of complexity to a quick smash and grab.

I hear that wearing camoflauge clothing while mowing the lawn, and sitting on the front porching, yelling, "Hey kids, get off my lawn!", at the neighborhood youth, are also effective.

Only if you can sincerely come off as the crazy violent type. Most youth in transitional neighborhoods would just laugh at such a person as you describe, turning him into sort of a joke and an excellent target for pranks.

Do bear in mind that I said to place a threatening sticker on the side door and not the front door. I also didn't say to have Kinko's enlarge it into a yard sign. There's a point beyond which it just seems like someone is trying too hard for their threat to be genuine, and that's where it becomes counterproductive.

It really works too! Haha. My sister's house was broke into this way in San Antoino. Police man told her it had become quite common (about a year ago). I wonder what this world would be like if every one who was smart enough to figure stuff like this out would think of productive ideas?

I exercise regularly in the neighborhood (w/ pet) and I am amazed how many folks leave their garage doors temporarily opened. It does not take long for someone with bad intentions to steal something. Also, some alleys are full of debris and foliage providing cover for thieves.

Good Afternoon All,

I also walk our neighborhood with our dog and notice many garage doors wide open exposing

every valuable tools, bikes, or other items. Furthermore, many homes also expose the interior

of their homes with blinds open or front doors wide open.

Its almost as of these low life thieves know exactly what is inside each house or garage

therefore returing with the tools needed to take what does NOT belong to them.

I guess this is why many Heights homeowners surround their homes with 7 foot tall cast iron gates ??

• 1 month later...

Click2Houston.com

2 Carjackings, Same Suspects?

By Elizabeth Scarborough

POSTED: 10:32 am CDT March 27, 2008

HOUSTON -- Within one hour, two cars were stolen within blocks of each other in the Heights. Houston Police are trying to determine if the crimes could be connected, KPRC Local 2 reported.

"It wasn't real. It was like a dream," said a 27-year-old victim who was too scared to be identified.

She pulled into her driveway around 1 a.m. Wednesday, and noticed a car pulling up slowly behind her.

"My friend started yelling. I had no idea what was going on," she said.

What she saw next terrified her.

"I turned around and saw a man running towards my car. He came over and put a gun in my face and said, 'Give me your purse,'" she said.

The gun was inches from her face.

"I grabbed my purse and gave it to him. Then he told me to get out of the car," she said.

She did. Her friend in the passenger seat did the same.

"We stood there and watched as my car was driven away. All I could say was, 'My car was just stolen. Oh my God, my car was stolen,'" she said.

About 40 minutes earlier, a 53-year-old man was sitting at a stop light at 14th Street and Durham.

He told police three guys pulled up behind him, forced him out of his car, pushed him to the ground, and ran over him with his own vehicle.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/15722245...ou&psp=news

We heard about this and it is terrible news....My fiance and I are moving into a home 2 weeks from today right around the corner from the first car jacking. Kinda scary really. Hopefully they catch these thugs soon and it never happens again....