As The Fourth Largest City With So Much Shopping And Entertainment, Why Is Houston Not Among The Top Tourist Destinations?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No.

A stronger focus on quality and variety of lifestyle opportunities available in Houston will strengthen the city's reputation.

Bingo.

Houston's reputation as a well-rounded city has improved light years since I moved here in the 1970s. Then, it was a wildcatter's city, full of loud-mouthed rednecks. Now, it is a diverse Oil Capital, full of businessmen. Then, our most famous suburb was Pasadena, and the typical house was thought to be a trailer home. Now, our most famous suburbs are Sugar Land and The Woodlands, and the typical house is thought to be a McMansion.

We have the first mayor in Houston's history committed to air quality and other quality of life issues. These are Houston's biggest negatives. Opinions change slowly, but they DO change. As the city combats these negatives, and makes progress on revitalizing its core, public perception will continue to improve.

Houston will never become New York, the world's capital, or San Francisco, possibly our most geographically beautiful city. But, it can become a city that is entertaining to visit, as well as comfortable to live in. Progress is being made, just never as fast as any of us would like.

Thanks, Red. Well said indeed.

I think something that would seriously help Houston is if we were portayed better on TV and in film. In fact, I think the cost of living here should draw more film makers to our metro area. Why film in downtown Vancouver when Houston is here? I would like to see the city government out there advocating for that.

Anyway, back to my original point. Think about the movie that people know was made in Houston... Urban Cowboy.

Now think about the movie that people don't know was made in Houston... Reality Bites.

See the difference?

Bingo.

Houston's reputation as a well-rounded city has improved light years since I moved here in the 1970s. Then, it was a wildcatter's city, full of loud-mouthed rednecks. Now, it is a diverse Oil Capital, full of businessmen. Then, our most famous suburb was Pasadena, and the typical house was thought to be a trailer home. Now, our most famous suburbs are Sugar Land and The Woodlands, and the typical house is thought to be a McMansion.

We have the first mayor in Houston's history committed to air quality and other quality of life issues. These are Houston's biggest negatives. Opinions change slowly, but they DO change. As the city combats these negatives, and makes progress on revitalizing its core, public perception will continue to improve.

Houston will never become New York, the world's capital, or San Francisco, possibly our most geographically beautiful city. But, it can become a city that is entertaining to visit, as well as comfortable to live in. Progress is being made, just never as fast as any of us would like.

I agree with RedScare. Quality of Life has improved drastically within the past 30 years. And I do believe that quality of life and variety of lifestyle has and should be the #1 priority over tourism. I'd rather live in an underrated city over an overrated city anyday :)

...however...

I must admit that I'm very tired of Houston not getting the respect that it deserves for its improvements. It would be nice to not have to go out-of-town to enjoy what we could enjoy at home (like we had when Astroworld was at its prime). I feels that even though Houston is a great place to live, and has so much vibrancy and development within 30 years, people that have never been here still stereotype Houston as the city that it was in 1971.

I must admit that I'm very tired of Houston not getting the respect that it deserves for its improvements. It would be nice to not have to go out-of-town to enjoy what we could enjoy at home (like we had when Astroworld was at its prime). I feels that even though Houston is a great place to live, and has so much vibrancy and development within 30 years, people that have never been here still stereotype Houston as the city that it was in 1971.

Unless the big "East Coast" media changes its tune (which, lately, is less sarcastic) you'll be stuck with a large degree of that. New York writers disdain anything that doesn't look like NY, when in fact, nothing does. Most people don't look very closely at these things, so they form their opinions based on what someone else writes, even though they may not have the same tastes.

That being said, the tenor of articles I have read have been decidedly MORE appreciative of the progress Houston has made, as well as its quirkiness. If the progress continues, the good press will follow, though it will never be glowing praise.

No.

A stronger focus on quality and variety of lifestyle opportunities available in Houston will strengthen the city's reputation.

agreed! when you think of other great cities you think of the things you DO there. new your city has broadway, central park, statue of liberty, harlem, times square. san antonio people think of river walk. san francisco has the GGB and seattle and portland have great markets. boston, the harbor ... get my point?

what do you think to DO when you think of houston? not a whole lot really.

that does not mean it is not a great place to visit and live, but those things we DO do not readily come to mind.

we need year round great things that would want to make people live and visit. i agree that that it is getting better (does anyone remember the dark 80s when downtown closed at 5 pm? or when most things in the city closed down just a tad bit little later?).

houston does have great attractions like nasa, galveston (which we need to just annex anyhow and call 'coast houston'), great ball parks and an increasingly better downtown.

the problem is ALL major cities have exactly those same great ball parks and downtown things so what makes us different?

Although I believe Redscare is correct, I understand what you are saying Houstonmacbro. For the longest time, I have been preaching about how Houston should focus on tourism more. But just recently I realized I was missing the mark and have since changed my tune. I realized Houston must FIRST have a solid REASON to focus on tourism before we do it. What is the point of pushing tourism when there is hardly anythng to tour that's truly different from other cities.

The thing that made me change my tune was finding out I had the task of having to entertain 6 teenage boys from Long Beach California ranging in ages from 14-17 for a week this summer. They are very excited to "see Houston and see Texas" for the first time. I started to think about showing them Houston and became anxiety-filled. I really did not want to do the Movie/bowling/Mall thing because they can do that at home. I realized I couldn't come up with a whole lot and became slightly discouraged. I did come up with the Galleria naturally, NASA/Kemah (although I personally have always found NASA to be boring), and Galveston.

Sometimes I hear Houstonians say things like, " we have museums ,and we the zoo, and we have parks, and we have professional sporting events, and a ton of restaraunts". Whenever I hear hear this I always think Duh, we are suppose to have those things considering we are the 4th largest city in the country. IMO, those things are a automatic for a city our size. In a way I see it as Houston patting itself on the back for things we are SUPPOSE to have.

Houston lacks attractions. That is not the same as saying Houston has NO attractions. I'm just saying Houston should have more than it does. Some of us may role our eyes and scoff at places like Medieval Times, Ripley's Believe it or Not Museums, Movie Studio Tours, Bungee Parks, and other attractions in the DFW area, but I think it's important to ask why there isn't a market for such things in Houston. They help quality of life more than they hurt it. Many people that visit Texas want to see a little of that stereotype of Texas they have burned into their brains and like I hear often, "want to see a cowboy". Where is Houston's Stockyard like in Ft. Worth? Where is Houston's pride in our Space heritage besides NASA itself? Where is our tribute to the oil industry which is so much a part of who we are? Is there another place that shows off Houston's diversity besides sitting at a traffic light and looking at the ethnicity of the drivers of the cars that are passing in front of me?

Although Houston is Texas' largest city as well as it's least tourist friendly, we should not focus on tourism more because there is no need to just yet. More attractions, then more focus on tourism. But the city is moving nonetheless but not quick enough for me as Redscare pointed out.

Although I believe Redscare is correct, I understand what you are saying Houstonmacbro. For the longest time, I have been preaching about how Houston should focus on tourism more. But just recently I realized I was missing the mark and have since changed my tune. I realized Houston must FIRST have a solid REASON to focus on tourism before we do it. What is the point of pushing tourism when there is hardly anythng to tour that's truly different from other cities.

The thing that made me change my tune was finding out I had the task of having to entertain 6 teenage boys from Long Beach California ranging in ages from 14-17 for a week this summer. They are very excited to "see Houston and see Texas" for the first time. I started to think about showing them Houston and became anxiety-filled. I really did not want to do the Movie/bowling/Mall thing because they can do that at home. I realized I couldn't come up with a whole lot and became slightly discouraged. I did come up with the Galleria naturally, NASA/Kemah (although I personally have always found NASA to be boring), and Galveston.

Sometimes I hear Houstonians say things like, " we have museums ,and we the zoo, and we have parks, and we have professional sporting events, and a ton of restaraunts". Whenever I hear hear this I always think Duh, we are suppose to have those things considering we are the 4th largest city in the country. IMO, those things are a automatic for a city our size. In a way I see it as Houston patting itself on the back for things we are SUPPOSE to have.

Houston lacks attractions. That is not the same as saying Houston has NO attractions. I'm just saying Houston should have more than it does. Some of us may role our eyes and scoff at places like Medieval Times, Ripley's Believe it or Not Museums, Movie Studio Tours, Bungee Parks, and other attractions in the DFW area, but I think it's important to ask why there isn't a market for such things in Houston. They help quality of life more than they hurt it. Many people that visit Texas want to see a little of that stereotype of Texas they have burned into their brains and like I hear often, "want to see a cowboy". Where is Houston's Stockyard like in Ft. Worth? Where is Houston's pride in our Space heritage besides NASA itself? Where is our tribute to the oil industry which is so much a part of who we are? Is there another place that shows off Houston's diversity besides sitting at a traffic light and looking at the ethnicity of the drivers of the cars that are passing in front of me?

Although Houston is Texas' largest city as well as it's least tourist friendly, we should not focus on tourism more because there is no need to just yet. More attractions, then more focus on tourism. But the city is moving nonetheless but not quick enough for me as Redscare pointed out.

do you remember the movie 'westworld'? i think (i could be mistaken) it starred yule brenner as this robot and this company that ran a western themed city where tourist could live out their fantasies. it could possibly be a useful role for the astrodome.

but also remember when you think of great cities you think of things they have that made them famous. houston does have nasa, but it is a little boring mainly (and again, i could be wrong) there is really nothing to do there. the one in georgia --i believe-- has a way for tourists to get involved and become an astronaut in training. ours, you just look at old booster engines and moon rocks ... wow ... exciting.

as you mentioned there are things here that we are supposed to have. i'm sorry, 30 pappadeux's aren't gonna attract a lot of people (locals like me, yes; angelinos, no) make it a great destination location.

i guess it all goes back to identity. i always feel like we are saying to the nation "look at us, we are the 4th largest city" but that doesn't really mean a hill of beans if it's kinda dull living here.

Some of us may role our eyes and scoff at places like Medieval Times, Ripley's Believe it or Not Museums, Movie Studio Tours, Bungee Parks, and other attractions in the DFW area, but I think it's important to ask why there isn't a market for such things in Houston. They help quality of life more than they hurt it.

I don't know. Have you ever heard anyone brag about Grand Prairie's qaulity of life? :blink:

(I can hear the Dallas forumers laughing from here.)

Seriously, though, here is a problem. macbro points out some great attractions, such as Seattle's market and the Golden Gate. Houston doesn't have a lot of these old established attractions. If we went on this binge to build attractions, would they be appreciated? Probably not. They'd be seen as cheezy and lame attempts at tourist attractions, which they are. Cities across the country, in a desparate attempt to be hip or a tourist draw, are building hideous caricatures of attractions. In Williamsburg, VA, they are even creating an amusement park because they consider the site of the decisive battle of the Revolutionary War boring.

Even these faux Town Centers, that are all the rage, an attempt to recreate an authentic downtown where none existed before, are missing a crucial element. What is it? Authenticity. Everyone knows that it is a master planned caricature of a town center. It may be pleasant, but there is no history to it. Worse, because they are master planned, they have the same predictable look to them. And every big subdivision in the country is doing them.

So, what to do? I, for one, would like to see an accelerated effort to improve Houston's parks, especially it's waterways. Houston was founded on the water. It's lifeblood is the water. It's nickname is the Bayou City. A program (already in place) to improve the recreational attraction of Buffalo Bayou, Spring Creek and Cypress Creek, as well as a park on Galveston Bay worthy of spending the day at, with sailing, canoeing and other facilities.

Combined with other efforts to improve Houston's air and water quality, these natural attractions could actually have the added benefit of improving Houston's image as an unhealthy city. Frankly, if I had a choice of what tourists I would want to visit, athletes and outdoor enthusiasts would be preferable to snot-nosed kids heading to a faux Disneyland.

I realize that others think an amusement park is a great attraction. I'm not advocating against one. It is just that they tend to only draw from a short radius around the city. BTW, the Museum of Natural Science has an energy exhibit that has been retooled, and will re-open May 6. And the Fort Worth Stockyards are the remnants of the ORIGINAL Stockyards. Similar to Pikes Fish Market, the Stockyards are the real thing, preserved as a historical look into Fort Worth's past. It is not a recreation, though the livestock auctions have been discontinued.

I think a Sony Metreon and/or a DisneyQuest could work downtown. Who knows what could happen there if Pavillions is a success. I don't see Houston becoming a place a lot of people go out of their way to visit for a long time, with the exception of Latin Americans who want to go on a shopping spree,but for people who do come here to visit, say either family or business or whatev, they will probably slowly get more options of things to do. There's the new Schiltterbahn opening soon. And someone around here (I think) mentioned turning the Astrodome into a bunch of soundstages for movie making, I like that idea.

There are so MANY great things about Houston that you can't find anywhere else. Whenever I entertain people not from there, I think of the following depending upon their tastes...

1) Menil Collection. Yeah, all cities have musuems, but the Menil, Obelisk, and Rothko never fail to impress. People love the Cockrell Butterfly House too

2) The Orange Show, Beer Can House, Pig House, and Flower Man House. Nothing says Houston quite like this funkiness. NYC, LA, and DC have museums, but nothing that is as out there as these places!

3) Wintertime- the weather. Friends from Boston have all loved margaritas outside at dinner at any of the host of places that have patio dining. A trip to the Alabama Ice House, Gingerman's back deck, the old Boat Yard (not sure if it's still there), or take gay fellas to the Pacific Street area to enjoy all the patios there.

4) Brazos River Bottom. Folks want to see Texas and cowboys? Well, show em two big ole beefy cowboys dancing together at this midtown dive. Brokeback Mtn ain't got nothin' on this scene, especially on Sunday steak nights.

5) Rent a canoe. Put in around the West Loop and Woodway and see Houston from a totally different vantage point.

6) Rent bikes on a beautiful Sunday. Ride all over downtown (one of the few advantages to a slow downtown) and then follow the trails around Allen Parkway and back. Great skyline views and no worries about cars for most of the route

7) Galveston and the Strand.

8) Golf at Hermann Park. While a crappy course per se, name another city in which you can golf with such incredible man-made views? Afterwards, stroll Hermann Park and Rice U. The Friends of Hermann Park have done an amazing transformation and on a nice weekend, the place is BUZZING with life. The toy train, paddle boats, the zoo, japanese gardens, latins BBQing everywhere, the lake, even a new fishing "river" and just imagine the life that will be interjected here when the ZaZa opens. Make sure to show them North and South Blvds with their live oak canopies

9) If guests are staying at a hotel, stick them downtown. The Icon, Magnolia, Lancaster, Alden (Sam Houston) all offer unique lodging alternatives with a bit of Texas flair. They can ride the train to almost everything spelled out above

10) Mai's on Milam. Ga Luc Lac at 4 a.m. with the great mix of folks who dine at that hour is fun. Enjoy the cold tea.

7)

Sometimes I think an atomic bomb should be dropped and we should start over.

New Orleans is doin it.

I am still more impressed with Houston than any other city I've been to so far, and I've seen some impressive cities (still waiting to see Europe). I LOVE where the city is going.

Tourism isn't only about attractions; it's also influenced by negative perceptions. Many outsiders (and some residents) view Houston as an ignorant, dirty, violent and corrupt city.

These are not qualities which encourage tourism.

(and before you tear me a new one, please reread what I've written - that these are perceptions of our city.)

To follow up on KinkaidAlum, I am from the Northeast and about 75% of my college/high school friends live in and around Boston. When I got married, I decided to bring them all to Houston rather than going home. I wanted them to see the city I lived in, where I was going to establish myself and start a family. Most friends came for a week and we had parties. dinners, blah blah blah up until the wedding. However, there were a couple days that they were on their own. Not once did anyone ask me where the attractions were. They wanted the hip, fun restaurant that was different from the same-old back home. They wanted kick butt Tex-Mex, which doesn't exist for them, and a goos, strong margarita. They wanted authentic BBQ and patios to enjoy the weather.

By the time the people from San Fran, San Diego, Boston, Seattle, and even NYC left they had a very different impression of Houston as a city. Everyone still talks about how much they enjoyed it here. A couple have been back to visit several times since.

Also, I went to see Syriana last week and Houston is mentioned a couple times. In it, the portray us as a city full of greed and mega-money. That may seem unfavorable at first, but that image never hurt NYC or LA :lol:

Also, I went to see Syriana last week and Houston is mentioned a couple times. In it, the portray us as a city full of greed and mega-money. That may seem unfavorable at first, but that image never hurt NYC or LA :lol:

except the main characters in houston had thick accents and were hunting on their ranches. little bit different from the mega-money image of NYC or LA...

but i too have a lot of friends from undergrad (from all over) who have come to houston to visit for the first time, and had a great time and have since come back. they admit they would never have even thought about coming if i weren't here, so its not really a tourist visit.

Don't forget about the Sam Houston Monument. What better to give them a good dallop of Texana than a monument, taller than its counterpart in D.C., that fully conveys native Texans' pride in their homeland. Be sure to point out that the TX flag flies at the same level as the US flag, unlike any other states. In that same trip, you can take the tourists down SH 225 back into town via the East Frwy, showing them what really made Houston possible. Use the line "smells like...money" when passing by a particularly smelly plant.

This approach doesn't work with just anyone, but its especially enjoyable if your buddy is an obnoxious liberal yuppie from the northeast who can't help but get preachy around refineries. In such a case, extreme callousness and an aire of prideful ignorance are called for. Make them suffer.

Btw, I know that my comments may smack of sarcasm, but as an 8th generation Texan, sorry guys...the "aire of prideful ignorance" is an accurate descriptor...and its too damned appealing. I've got to embody it. Just have to...

except the main characters in houston had thick accents and were hunting on their ranches. little bit different from the mega-money image of NYC or LA...

but i too have a lot of friends from undergrad (from all over) who have come to houston to visit for the first time, and had a great time and have since come back. they admit they would never have even thought about coming if i weren't here, so its not really a tourist visit.

Well, that's a little of what people want in Texas. It is, essentially, what makes Texas different. Those cities have their accents as well. Saturday Night Fever and Valley Girl, anyone? :)

I don't know. Have you ever heard anyone brag about Grand Prairie's qaulity of life? :blink:

Seriously, though, here is a problem. macbro points out some great attractions, such as Seattle's market and the Golden Gate. Houston doesn't have a lot of these old established attractions. If we went on this binge to build attractions, would they be appreciated? Probably not. They'd be seen as cheezy and lame attempts at tourist attractions, which they are. Cities across the country, in a desparate attempt to be hip or a tourist draw, are building hideous caricatures of attractions. In Williamsburg, VA, they are even creating an amusement park because they consider the site of the decisive battle of the Revolutionary War boring.

Even these faux Town Centers, that are all the rage, an attempt to recreate an authentic downtown where none existed before, are missing a crucial element. What is it? Authenticity. Everyone knows that it is a master planned caricature of a town center. It may be pleasant, but there is no history to it. Worse, because they are master planned, they have the same predictable look to them. And every big subdivision in the country is doing them.

So, what to do? I, for one, would like to see an accelerated effort to improve Houston's parks, especially it's waterways. Houston was founded on the water. It's lifeblood is the water. It's nickname is the Bayou City. A program (already in place) to improve the recreational attraction of Buffalo Bayou, Spring Creek and Cypress Creek, as well as a park on Galveston Bay worthy of spending the day at, with sailing, canoeing and other facilities.

Combined with other efforts to improve Houston's air and water quality, these natural attractions could actually have the added benefit of improving Houston's image as an unhealthy city. Frankly, if I had a choice of what tourists I would want to visit, athletes and outdoor enthusiasts would be preferable to snot-nosed kids heading to a faux Disneyland.

I realize that others think an amusement park is a great attraction. I'm not advocating against one. It is just that they tend to only draw from a short radius around the city. BTW, the Museum of Natural Science has an energy exhibit that has been retooled, and will re-open May 6. And the Fort Worth Stockyards are the remnants of the ORIGINAL Stockyards. Similar to Pikes Fish Market, the Stockyards are the real thing, preserved as a historical look into Fort Worth's past. It is not a recreation, though the livestock auctions have been discontinued.

I like this post.

Yeah I stopped worrying about the "why don't people visit here for fun" thing a long time ago. It just stops mattering, because what i care about is that I live here and I want to enjoy where I live. And I do enjoy where I live very much. I have some friends coming down for next weekend's all star game and I'm not sitting here thinking "oh my god, whatever shall we do? No astroworld? no espn zone here? oh no"

When people come to visit me, there's 2 main things I try to take care of - eating at good restaurants and showing a good time at night. Well its February and 70 degrees and sunny outside (hopefully it'll stay the same next week), and they all live in the northeast where its 35 and raining. Restaurants - do I even have to say anything about the different options here? Its funny, one was saying the best steak house he's ever been to is Outback. I didn't really think about it, but a lot of cities just don't have the amount of choices that we have, even if we all complain about how overrated some of them are. Same goes for food diversity. We can have breakfast tacos or chicken and waffles, colombian food / tex-mex for lunch, dim sum for snack, bar b que for late snack, fresh seafood cooked anyway we want, sit outside at night for some of our own st arnolds beer, and then pho/ mai's for late night all within 15 minutes (just an example, not trying to prove the fattest city stuff).

During the day, for some reason everybody still always wants to see the astrodome. We always rail on Kemah, but so many people from out of town love it. Medical Center is unique, new chinatown, and as someone else mentioned earlier all the random funkiness with the beer can house, the menil, rothko chapel. Hell, one girl from South Africa was just happy after going to Cavender's boot city to get the requisite hat and belt. Tourism is sometimes just an overrated thing - Orlando blows Houston away in number of visitors. Do I want to be Orlando - hell no. But everytime I go to the Galleria, I see tons of the hispanic visitors taking in our mall and spending money, and starting today kicked off one of the largest annual oil conventions (CEO's were in from China, the Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, among other places).

All this rant aside, I will love it when the park and HP are done downtown. I work out at a gym downtown and there was some kind of kids tournament in the GRB this last weekend. Tons of families walking around looking for something to do, and unfortunately, they were relegated to the Park Shops for lunch mainly. The park will be great, because as nice as it was outside, unfortunately some were bum encampments and families avoided going into them.

Great post.

I think its good that instead of thinking about creating new attractions, maybe change the perceptions on some of the ones taken for granted. I mean I wasn't really impressed with seattle's pike. Looks like a glorified farmer's market to me. Even fisherman's wharf and alcatrazin san francisco isn't that impressive.

But it seems that marketing has somehow made those a must see. I am sure there are more interesting stuff in houston than pike place. Maybe Houston should stick with one main attraction to promote and stick to it. As you suggested, the bayous, how does one go about making creeks and bayous a must see besides cleaning it up?

Don't forget about the Sam Houston Monument. What better to give them a good dallop of Texana than a monument, taller than its counterpart in D.C....Btw, I know that my comments may smack of sarcasm, but as an 8th generation Texan, sorry guys...the "aire of prideful ignorance" is an accurate descriptor...and its too damned appealing. I've got to embody it. Just have to...

8th generation Texan? WOW! That would put you back-way before there ever was a Texas?

But I'm thinking you meant the San Jacinto Monument...because the statue of Sam Houston in the park is...oh, never mind...I'm just being a trouble maker-had a rotten day.

B)

To the Forumer about the Teenagers;

Theres not much for anyone 17 and below to do anymore... Thinking about the mall/bowling thing is exactly what they do for "fun" back home. For me, I feel alot of sympathy for the American Teenager... I partly blame the drinking age/bar/club restrictions... Because in Europe, all the teenagers go to the "Disco", or sit in cafes and have a beer. But there motives are not to get hammered (etc.). Thats why American teenagers have these pointless Keg parties... there really nothing else to do? No More Astroworld... :(

But about Houston;

Its a very young city (as far as I see it). Still has many years ahead in development, even though no city is ever truely "complete", we Still have the means for vast improvement. Seeing all these townhouse booms, I like to fantasize that in a 100 years, the garages will be turned into retail spots, and the driveways will become beautiful sidewalks with trees and wider roads.

But aside from that, I think in time, all these "New" Cities will develope into some truely amazing places. around 2000, (not to quote Epemeral City) Houston was simply bordering on a city, and just housing a large population.

I think Hermann Park is a really beautiful expierence. While all parks are great, I really enjoy Hermann Park alot. I think thats a great Houston attraction.

The cost of living being so slow is actually attracting many Californians, who are "Middle Class" in places like OC and Long Beach, come here, and are "Upper Class", and their money goes along way. I think recent trends will prove the Low Cost of living and great job opertunities will attrack new residents more then any tourist attraction.

As might've said before quite a few times at this forum...it doesn't matter.

I lived in Clearwater, Florida in the early 90s and have lived here in San Diego throughout much of the 2Ks.

Both are extremely popular with tourists but you know what? Houston with warts and all still has me dreaming about going back some day.

I feel so much more at home out there in H-town, you feel significantly less intruded upon by the authorities...and HOUSTON IS DEFINITELY MORE COMPLEX, DIVERSE, CULTURED and SOPHISTICATED than either Tampa Bay or San Diego no matter what any stupid, lame-brain travel magazine will gush.

There are actually cops who snoop on out of state plates in workplace parking lots in Tampa Bay seeing if they're there long term. In San Diego, there are CONSTANT and UNANNOUNCED "license and DUI checkpoints" on random nights set up by the various police departments out here (San Diego PD, National City PD, San Diego Sheriffs, etc.) In Houston, all the times I've gone night cruising, I've never seen a single Constable or HPD checkpoint (though I've understood that the Harris Sheriffs had announced checkpoints on certain holidays).

Tampa Bay has no Chinatown, that vibrant resource that any real metro should have (but I enjoy the Greek town area called Tarpon Springs down there). San Diego's New Chinatown version of Bellaire Blvd., simply referred to as Convoy Street, is disjointed and just lacks that energy and spread of Houston's.

It's really hard to find that spicy halal food here in Navy n Golfers town San Diego. In Houston? Point to Hillcroft or Bissonnet for some great AND affordable lamb biryani.

I like Houston's unstructure. San Diego is so well-packaged with its touristy districts I get disillusioned because they are all some form or theme of one another...and you get tired of them really quickly if you're a more deep-thinking resident. Gas Lamp is horrid. Very cheesy but good for tourists. It totally lacks Houston's downtown architecture which really gives Houston's nightlife more ambience. Less stuff in terms of leisurely commerce than San Diego but I'll take the real architectural vibe anyday. Besides once that

Houston Pavilions becomes an answer to Horton Plaza out there...Houston's downtown still has far more

potential than San Diego's already played out disneyfied downtown.

To me, it's great how you can go find lots of stuff along Westheimer at night, that trail of neon on a

nocturnal Saturday. We don't have a bonanza street like that here in San Diego. They're both car cities and

that's not really going to change anytime soon but Houston does take advantage of that aspect better IMO. Houston's got nice options outside of any predictable touristy, entertainment district.

Complemented by many options along or perpendicular to Westheimer, you can go to Midtown, then there's the still-decent collection of eateries and watering holes in Shepherd Plaza, the Euro-village vibe of Rice Village...it's not like San Diego where you can basically hang out at either the Gas Lamp or Pacific Beach per se while the other boulevards are so desolate. San Diego's Uptown Hillcrest is a concentrated, more Hollywood looking version of the Montrose...but at least the Montrose area has its own unique style and some decent if not great 24 hour food fare like Katz's or West Gray Cafe or the Greek diner next door. I like the more relaxed Montrose style so different in pace and environment from downtown Houston but just as entertaining in a different way. San Diego Uptown Hillcrest is just another theme of the Gas Lamp albeit more on the counter-cultural side.

Aside from an eight month stretch in 2004 when I did go back to Houston (our Super Bowl vibe was better than San Diego's IMO) before my lovely wife told me to get my ass back to San Diego...we've lived here since the end of 2001. Definitely H-town for me. Yeah, I enjoy San Diego and all, but home is where the H is, eh?

The Houston area is quite touristy. It's just that the relative distances diminish that and Houston is just simply not advertised that way. The Strand, Kemah Waterfront, Old Town Spring, Sea Wall, the increasingly interesting Woodlands Town Center with the canals and pineys, the Museum District especially Hermann...these collectively hold their own as execellent "touristy" diversions. The Galleria is more than a mall...it's the closest thing one can get to a human bee-hive experience and is certainly far superior in terms of

architecture than anything Southern California can offer (Beverly Center and South Coast Plaza).

Interesting.

Leaving Houston out of it, you're not the first person (or second) to tell me that San Diego's downtown doesn't have any longterm influence on the visitor, that there seems to be something of community lacking and that it has been prostituted for the sake of tourism.

I liked the Gaslamp District. But what can I say? I was a tourist. :)

Archived