As The Fourth Largest City With So Much Shopping And Entertainment, Why Is Houston Not Among The Top Tourist Destinations?

Being a lover of Galveston, I would love to see a rail line connecting to Houston. I have no idea how the existing frieght line's run from say Downtown to the Seawall, but is there a chance one might be usable for this purpose?

See post 55.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I read post #55, I should have made myself more clear.

Is there anything existing that could be connected fairly easy and for a reasonable amount of money? I know there is a passenger train running from, I think League City into Galveston, other than that I have no clue.

• 2 weeks later...

My take is that there is just not enough promotion and exposure for Houston. My site ( in my sig) points out all the attractions, events, shopping, Chinatown, etc. there is to do here and when and if the site gets out into the public (that is outside of Texas), then people will know more about Houston and yes we do have things and activities and fine arts to do here. We have the population, definitely the culture and, we have the activities. So now we just need to spread the word.

My take is that there is just not enough promotion and exposure for Houston. My site ( in my sig) points out all the attractions, events, shopping, Chinatown, etc. there is to do here and when and if the site gets out into the public (that is outside of Texas), then people will know more about Houston and yes we do have things and activities and fine arts to do here. We have the population, definitely the culture and, we have the activities. So now we just need to spread the word.

To push for more tourists, we'd need tourist attractions. Everything we have in Houston is meant for Houstonians to enjoy (Chinatown, Galleria, Downtown, etc.) and are not meant to be tourists first, though we welcome them with opened arms.

For example, we hosted three tourist sporting events (All Star games and Super Bowl), and the people came, and the people went. Say we had a major theme park in the area, people would travel here on a regular basis, and also see a city that's already culturally intact. Just spreading the word may not be enough. We've been trying to do that for too long.

Archived