John Whitmire Houston Mayor

Sheila

2 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

Sheila Jackson Lee is running for mayor - just announced as breaking news on Channel 13

Click2Houston has a story also:  https://www.click2houston.com/news/texas/2023/03/27/us-rep-sheila-jackson-lee-is-running-for-houston-mayor/

Whitmire is still likely winning the Mayoral election this fall. 

1 hour ago, s3mh said:

Strange race shaping up with the two frontrunners basically using the job as a retirement plan.  Whitmire and Jackson Lee are both 73.  They would be 80 by the end of a second term.  

Whitmire is clearly the establishment/centrist candidate and will get piles of cash from the developers and energy execs.  SJL has a very dedicated constituency but is hugely polarizing outside of her district.  I guess she would position herself as the more progressive candidate that stands with the parts of town that don't see all the development.  

I would not count out Amanda Edwards.  She could be the more progressive candidate and get the Lina Hidalgo voters.  

I doubt Amanda Edwards will stay in the Mayoral race due to her mother's passing, etc., 

14 hours ago, Ross said:

He's less disliked by the majority of voters than SJL, who is popular in her district but is highly disliked everywhere else.

Not really a question for you (am always interested in @Blue Dogs “in-depth” analysis), but could it be the case that assuming the above is true (which I can totally see), I think it’s also accurate to say Whitmire doesn’t have nearly the constituency that Sheila does (people may be indifferent to him, or simply favor him due to the others in the race), but I’m not sure anodyne gets out the vote in an off-year election.

• The title was changed to Sheila Jackson Lee running for Mayor
6 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Not really a question for you (am always interested in @Blue Dogs “in-depth” analysis), but could it be the case that assuming the above is true (which I can totally see), I think it’s also accurate to say Whitmire doesn’t have nearly the constituency that Sheila does (people may be indifferent to him, or simply favor him due to the others in the race), but I’m not sure anodyne gets out the vote in an off-year election.

I think the widespread antipathy toward SJL will drive people toward Whitmire who'd otherwise have felt lukewarm about his candidacy - not so much voting for him as voting against her. 

11 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

I think the widespread antipathy toward SJL will drive people toward Whitmire who'd otherwise have felt lukewarm about his candidacy - not so much voting for him as voting against her. 

Well, I could certainly see that, but it almost seems as if the Democratic "ground game" in Harris County is more geared towards Lina's coalition these days, which makes me think that Chris Hollins shouldn't be counted out.  There's certainly no guarantee Whitmire will finish in the top 2 for a runoff, especially if he is seen as "a Republican in Democratic clothing" (similar to Paul Vallas in Chicago or Rick Caruso in LA--Caruso lost and polls show Vallas in the lead, but polling for municipal elections is notoriously difficult).

(I know @Blue Dogs will appreciate that Hollins's father was an actual HPD officer!)

In any case, we shall soon find out.

Isn't mayor of Houston a significant step down from long-term member of Congress?

I wonder what her motivation is.  Maybe she doesn't think she can win another congressional election?  I don't know what her ratings are these days.

5 hours ago, editor said:

Isn't mayor of Houston a significant step down from long-term member of Congress?

I wonder what her motivation is.  Maybe she doesn't think she can win another congressional election?  I don't know what her ratings are these days.

SJL is 73, I think, so maybe the travel to and from DC is getting to her. I don't think she would ahve any issues getting reelected to Congress, given she seems to get 75% of the vote every election.

5 hours ago, editor said:

Not sure exactly what you have in mind by significant step down.  I would not consider it such.  From a strictly monetary point of view, I believe Congresspeople are paid $174,000 per year.  Houston mayor is paid $236,189.

Yeah, I think she has the Congressional seat for as long as she wants it. As far as motivation, I think her age may be a factor, as was already pointed out, but I also think she would welcome the opportunity to use her influence at a local level to push back against GOP-led state government initiatives that don't necessarily do Houston any favors.

A similar point was made in a Houston Press piece about her candidacy by Rice political scientist Bob Stein:

Houston's Upcoming Mayoral Race is Anything But A Straight Shot

According to Stein, Jackson’s run may be a result of the congresswoman wanting more of an ability to get things done involving local priorities such as the recent takeover of Houston ISD by the Texas Education Agency, the I-45 expansion project, bail bond reform and accessibility to affordable housing.

“Congress isn’t where the action is anymore, many people think that local government is where things actually get done, so if you want to be doing good things, you probably want to get back to the local level,” Stein said.

Jackson has served in the U.S. Congress for 28 years, but before that she was on City Council so she certainly knows how things operate at that level.

On 3/29/2023 at 9:30 AM, editor said:

I wouldn't think being the mayor of the 4th largest city in the US would be a step down from congresswoman -- especially when she is in the minority party in the House.

In my opinion being mayor of Houston holds more prestige than being 1 of 435 members of congress, especially if you do not hold a significant chair in a committee. Regardless, I hope when someone runs for mayor of our great city they are thinking more than about themselves and their prestige and more on the betterment of our city. This being a global city means we have seriously tough competition. Look at the rise of the cities in Asia, not to mention cities like Miami, Dallas, or Atlanta. Slow down or bungle the job and many here will be adversely impacted.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2023 at 2:55 PM, Houston19514 said:

Not sure exactly what you have in mind by significant step down.  I would not consider it such.  From a strictly monetary point of view, I believe Congresspeople are paid $174,000 per year.  Houston mayor is paid $236,189.

Plus, she'll get a nice federal pension.  Will she also get a pension from the city after serving as mayor?

On 4/1/2023 at 3:10 PM, august948 said:

Plus, she'll get a nice federal pension.  Will she also get a pension from the city after serving as mayor?

She may get one already from being a former municipal judge and also District D Councilwoman in the late 80s and early 90s.

Surprised this hasn’t been brought up… seems he thinks SJL is the front runner and not Whitmire!

From The Chronicle 

Tony Buzbee, the millionaire businessman and trial attorney who unsuccessfully challenged Mayor Sylvester Turner in 2019, is considering another run for City Hall's top job.

Buzbee on Wednesday said supporters are urging him to run again, and he believes he is the only candidate who can defeat U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, who told church parishioners last week that she would run. He emphasized, though, that he has not made a decision yet.

12 minutes ago, steve1363 said:

… seems he thinks SJL is the front runner and not Whitmire!

She's got a pretty effective political machine, regardless of what people on here think about her.  How well it will work in certain areas of the City other than her congressional district is certainly debatable.

Buzbee's only chance is if Ds congeal around SJL.

(I know what BD thinks--it's probably somehow even more of a lock now!  Getting that endorsement sure seems to be the kiss of death!)

3 hours ago, steve1363 said:

Surprised this hasn’t been brought up… seems he thinks SJL is the front runner and not Whitmire!

From The Chronicle 

Tony Buzbee, the millionaire businessman and trial attorney who unsuccessfully challenged Mayor Sylvester Turner in 2019, is considering another run for City Hall's top job.

Buzbee on Wednesday said supporters are urging him to run again, and he believes he is the only candidate who can defeat U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, who told church parishioners last week that she would run. He emphasized, though, that he has not made a decision yet.

Does Buzbee have any credible polling information to back that up ?

In other news: Hollins is running for Houston City Controller; he's NOT going to win that contest.

On 3/31/2023 at 11:28 AM, sapo2367 said:

I wouldn't think being the mayor of the 4th largest city in the US would be a step down from congresswoman -- especially when she is in the minority party in the House.

Unless you're the mayor of New York, Los Angeles, or maybe Boston, it's a step down.  You can go from governor of Texas or congressman/senator from Texas to president, but you're not going to make that jump from mayor of Houston.

6 hours ago, editor said:

Unless you're the mayor of New York, Los Angeles, or maybe Boston, it's a step down.  You can go from governor of Texas or congressman/senator from Texas to president, but you're not going to make that jump from mayor of Houston.

Well, SJL is not going to be President.  I think even she does not imagine that happening.  Only once in our history has a member of the House of Representatives made the jump to the Presidency and that was in the election of 1862 (James Garfield).  

Completely disagree that Mayor of Houston is a step down from the House of Representatives, especially for someone who wants to get things done.  Plus, Houston has something like 9 Representatives; only 1 Mayor.

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

Completely disagree that Mayor of Houston is a step down from the House of Representatives, especially for someone who wants to get things done.  Plus, Houston has something like 9 Representatives; only 1 Mayor.

Indeed, there's a big difference between being 1 of 435 and essentially a "voter" and being a "strong mayor" executive of the nation's fourth largest city with control over a multibillion budget.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Former Houston City Councilwoman Amanda Edwards dropped out of the Mayoral contest; running for Congress to represent TX-18 in 2024.

Edwards taking a huge risk here unless she's got inside information about SJL winning the Mayoralty 🤔