John Whitmire Houston Mayor

Sheila

6 hours ago, Blue Dogs said:

Former Houston City Councilwoman Amanda Edwards dropped out of the Mayoral contest; running for Congress to represent TX-18 in 2024.

Edwards taking a huge risk here unless she's got inside information about SJL winning the Mayoralty 🤔

Huge risk=Lose the mayoral election for certain (she has no path to victory) or set herself up early to win a Congressional seat if Sheila wins?

Seems like she's reduced her "risk" by any reasonable standard.

• Like 3

Looks like "health concerns" caused Kubosh to dropping out of the Houston City Controller election.

Former Harris County Treasurer Orlando Sanchez (R) & Chris Hollins (D) are running for this position. 

Edited by Blue Dogs

• 1 month later...

Looks like Whitmire is in the driver's seat 4 months out.  Although neck and neck with SJL in the open race, he has a solid lead for the runoff.  He leads because he has 80% of the Republican vote and really is aiming his campaign towards those voters (I know one cerulean "dog" who bit very fast), despite being a Democrat his entire political life, which I find strange--if he is more aligned with that party, he should simply switch and not just use the brand.

I don't expect to vote for Whitmire, mainly because of his historical association with Republicans and his "opportunism," as described in the Texas Tribune article above.  That said, I don't have anywhere near the same level of concern if he wins as I did with the Harris County Judge race, which was driven by toxic demagoguery and it was clear (to me at least) that Hidalgo's opponent (I can't even remember her name . . . Moral Mealer, had to look it up) was all a power play to essentially subordinate the County to the State to stave off the inevitable demographic changes the County will experience in the coming decades . . . there was a hell of a lot at stake there with national repercussions.

Whitmire, while seemingly corruptible, could help mend relationships with the State and business community, and does not seem anywhere near as divisive as the typical MAGA candidate.  I can see why plenty of people would call SJL divisive (and Hidalgo for that matter, too, but at least she wasn't willing to sign the County over to the State).  If it's time for the other side to have a "win" to keep things in check and prevent the more toxic forces from taking hold down the road, I think that's fine.

Houston mayoral race: Whitmire would lead Jackson in runoff, poll says (houstonchronicle.com)

Edited by mattyt36

• 2 weeks later...

Polling on the 2023 Houston Mayoral Election according to the University of Houston Hobby School of Public Affairs:

(November 7th General Election: Houston Mayor)

State Senator John Whitmire (D-Houston): 34%

US Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX): 32%

(December Runoff Election Polling Head-to-Head)

Whitmire: 51%

Jackson-Lee: 33%

(Houston City Controller)

Chris Hollins (D): 37%

Former Harris County Treasurer Orlando Sanchez (R): 29%

Houston City Councilman District E David P. Martin (R): 19%

(Is Houston heading in the Right or Wrong Direction ?)

Wrong Direction: 53%

Right Direction: 47%

https://www.uh.edu/hobby/houston2023/

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2023 at 2:25 PM, Blue Dogs said:

Fox 26 KRIV-TV Houston reporting former Houston City Councilman At-Large 5 Dr. Jack Christie (R) launching campaign for the Mayoralty.

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/former-city-councilman-dr-jack-christie-joins-houston-mayoral-race

Christie's not bad.  The one running for mayor or president.  🤣

17 hours ago, august948 said:

Jackson Lee wants to be ‘education mayor.’ With Miles at HISD, how would that work? (Editorial)

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/editorials/article/sheila-jackson-lee-education-mayor-18267747.php

d1e827448fd9695162940a2aa2bf165af96b1d2c

Ted Cruz: hold my beer (beer gets thrown back at the Astros parade)

On 8/15/2023 at 10:47 AM, JLWM8609 said:

Speaking of Buzbee, he announced plans on running for Houston City Council District G against incumbent Mary-Nan Huffman (R). His campaign will NOT go anywhere because if he somehow knocked her off, we all know he'll be using that City Council seat as a stepping stone for the Mayoralty in 2027.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/08/21/tony-buzbee-houston-city-council-paxton/

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 10:47 AM, JLWM8609 said:

Under the "Shame of Texas"

Are those quotes for real? Did she actually state those things? Some of these things suggest either misquotes, deep ignorance, or no respect for the public on her part.

Edited by Twinsanity02
Left out a fact.

On 8/3/2023 at 12:49 PM, Blue Dogs said:

Polling on the 2023 Houston Mayoral Election according to the University of Houston Hobby School of Public Affairs:

(November 7th General Election: Houston Mayor)

State Senator John Whitmire (D-Houston): 34%

US Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX): 32%

(December Runoff Election Polling Head-to-Head)

Whitmire: 51%

Jackson-Lee: 33%

(Houston City Controller)

Chris Hollins (D): 37%

Former Harris County Treasurer Orlando Sanchez (R): 29%

Houston City Councilman District E David P. Martin (R): 19%

(Is Houston heading in the Right or Wrong Direction ?)

Wrong Direction: 53%

Right Direction: 47%

https://www.uh.edu/hobby/houston2023/

Has Orlando Sanchez ever won anything?  He can’t seem to pull together a constituency to win.

4 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Are those quotes for real? Did she actually state those things? Some of these things suggest either misquotes, deep ignorance, or no respect for the public on her part.

....this will be fun...

From Texas Monthly...

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/mooned/

While there, according to an article by Sandy Hume in The Hill, a weekly newspaper that covers Congress, Jackson Lee asked if the Pathfinder succeeded in taking pictures of the American flag planted on Mars by Neil Armstrong in 1969. Of course, Armstrong planted the flag on the Moon, as any high schooler should be able to tell you, let alone a 47-year-old Yale graduate.

Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee on North and South Vietnam

9 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Democrat Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee: "I Stand Here as a Freed Slave"

15 hours ago, august948 said:

Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee on North and South Vietnam

This is pathetic. How can anyone get their facts so twisted up? Good luck to you all if she becomes your mayor.

If elected she will be a major representative of Houston, which is soon to receive enhanced publicity from the Moon landings and other events. 

6 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

This is pathetic. How can anyone get their facts so twisted up? Good luck to you all if she becomes your mayor.

If elected she will be a major representative of Houston, which is soon to receive enhanced publicity from the Moon landings and other events. 

If she's elected I'll really feel bad for COH employees.  She's got a long, dismal track record with staff.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sheila-jackson-lee-chiefs-of-staff-tunrnover_n_880330

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/01/23/sheila-jackson-lee-steps-down-two-powerful-posts-not-congress/

https://dailycaller.com/2011/03/02/congressional-bosses-from-hell-sheila-jackson-lee/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

How can anyone get their facts so twisted up? Good luck to you all if she becomes your mayor.

Perhaps it's an issue of math.

Every one of us makes mistakes, has memory lapses, and other brain farts. 

Let's say it happens to an ordinary person 0.1% of the time they speak.

Politicians speak 10x more than ordinary people, so that becomes 1%.

SJL speaks 10x more than most politicians, so her error rate becomes 10%.

29l320-4292898970.jpg

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, sapo2367 said:

I found this article really interesting. Talking about how both of the leading candidates are basically in the twilight of their political careers, and how that differs from Houston being such a young and dynamic city.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/houston-mayor-election-whitmire-jackson-lee/

Cute article that contradicts itself.

“Houston City Hall is starting to look like the political equivalent of Major League Soccer, the last stop before retirement for superannuated stars such as David Beckham and Lionel Messi.”

“There’s been so much change in Texas politics,” said Rottinghaus, the University of Houston political scientist. “But not in Houston. In Houston, the old guard still rules.

That last sentence says it all and that has ALWAYS been the case.

I’m not a fan of either candidate but I’m getting more comfortable with Whitmire.  We need someone who can work with State government.  Too much favoritism is being shown to DFW (i.e., relocation incentives).  Whitmire can restore the toxic relationship created by Turner and Hidalgo.  He can work with TXDOT on the NHHIP.  Whitmire can cement a legacy if he plays the right cards.

By the way, Messi is killing it in Miami and Beckham helped popularize MLS in the U.S.!  

• Like 1

Yeah, that soccer metaphor doesn't hunt. Messi may be 36, but all he's done recently is won a World Cup and singlehandedly lift a backmarker MLS team into contention. He's not exactly coasting into retirement.

I agree that Whitmire should certainly be able to work effectively with state government, but then again, I thought the same thing about Turner given his long tenure in the state House, and we all know how that turned out.  But I'd hardly lay the blame for the frosty relations between Houston and Austin at the feet of Turner and Hidalgo.  

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Mayoral candidates spoke on a forum on how Houston can go forward with improving our streets/sidewalks/transportation etc.

Ms. Jackson Lee was absent

In general, Mr. Whitmire is the obvious winner in my opinion, however, you never know what can happen in our city. 

https://www.axios.com/local/houston/2023/09/25/mayor-candidates-transportation-vision

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Telemundo 47 KTMD-TV Houston, NBC 2 KPRC-TV Houston, Que Onda! Magazine & League of Women Voters hosting the Houston Mayoral Debate set for this evening at 7:00 PM CST at the Dunham Theater on the campus of Houston Christian University.

https://mikemcguff.blogpsot.com/2023/10/telemundo-houston-kprc-2-que-onda.html

https://www.Click2Houston.com/

https://www.TelemundoHouston.com/

It will be moderated by Telemundo 47's Crystal Ayala & NBC 2's Daniella Guzman.

1 hour ago, august948 said:

Who could have thought this endorsement was a good idea? The left/progressive defections from Hillary's base in 2016 due to her not being ideologically pure enough to suit them likely cost her the election, and the right's fervid antipathy for her is well-documented, to say the least.

SJL is a known quantity, and given that most people have long since formed an opinion of her, I can't see such a lightning-rod endorsement doing her much good. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

Who could have thought this endorsement was a good idea? The left/progressive defections from Hillary's base in 2016 due to her not being ideologically pure enough to suit them likely cost her the election, and the right's fervid antipathy for her is well-documented, to say the least.

SJL is a known quantity, and given that most people have long since formed an opinion of her, I can't see such a lightning-rod endorsement doing her much good. 

Maybe it's a sad, sorry attempt by Hillary to stay relevant?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

Isn’t it obvious SJL is trying to make abortion an issue in this election?  Both candidates are going after women voters.  SJL gets Hilary and Whitmire gets two Hispanic women politicians (Alvarado and Garcia).  As usual the Hispanic vote cannot coalesce around a Hispanic candidate…they’ll never learn.