John Whitmire Houston Mayor

Sheila

On 12/5/2022 at 3:31 PM, editor said:

Pledges are meaningless to me, without very detailed plans to back them up.  But politicians only put out vague lists of promises as they campaign, for fear of alienating one-issue voters.

I no longer base my voting decisions on what people say they will do, but rather on what they've done so far.

I should note Austinites just elected former State Senator Kirk Watson (D-Austin) to 3rd non-consecutive term as Austin Mayor earlier this month.

Watson will be up for 4th term in 2024 as the Mayoral election will move into presidential years.

I'm on the exact opposite of the political spectrum as Whitmire, but I'll tell you that electing him can be one of the best moves Houston can make in a long time. He's well connected with the regular people of Houston and is a damned good administrator. If you ask him to, he will hold that dumb bolshevik (rhymes with witch)'s feet to the fire and get that big ditch dug near the jailhouse.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 10:15 PM, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

I'm on the exact opposite of the political spectrum as Whitmire, but I'll tell you that electing him can be one of the best moves Houston can make in a long time. He's well connected with the regular people of Houston and is a damned good administrator. If you ask him to, he will hold that dumb bolshevik (rhymes with witch)'s feet to the fire and get that big ditch dug near the jailhouse.

Praying to God that Whitmire WINS this fall. He's got 50 years of political experience: having served in the TX House of Representatives from the 82nd District (1973-1983) for 5 2-year terms & currently serving in the TX State Senate representing District 15 since 1983.

Plus he's the former brother-in-law of former Houston Mayor Kathy Whitmire (D), who held the office for 5 2-year terms from 1982 to 1992.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Whitmire

Whitmire's campaign website:

https://www.johnwhitmire.com/

Edited by Blue Dogs

36 minutes ago, Blue Dogs said:

Praying to God that Whitmire WINS this fall.

You do know the Mayor of Houston has no jurisdiction over the City of San Antonio, right?

I was agnostic as to Whitmire but damn, my Blue Dogs Theory of Endorsements means I'm going to have to reevaluate.

45 minutes ago, Blue Dogs said:

I just do NOT see Hollins or Edwards getting any traction.

Well, if you don't see it, that's probably great news for Hollins or Edwards, given your track record picking horses, so to speak. 

15 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

Question..... Why does being the brother-in-law of a former Mayor, speak to the merit of this man?

Or being in political office for 50 years (essentially his entire adult life)?

3 hours ago, steve1363 said:

Whitmire should be a shoe-in but he won’t be.  He has alienated many people at his alma mater UH which could doom his candidacy.  Turner is a proud UH grad and reps the university.  Whitmire wishes he could have gone to UT or A&M!

Well Whitmire does have Tillman behind him I wouldn't be surprised if Tillman convinced him to run in the first place!

How has he alienated people?

Edited by kennyc05
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

Well Whitmire does have Tillman behind him I wouldn't be surprised if Tillman convinced him to run in the first place!

How has he alienated people?

He killed a proposal to make it mandatory for freshmen to live on campus.  http://thedailycougar.com/2014/08/21/senator-singlehandedly-sunk-housing-requirement/

He’s a swamp creature.  I would prefer someone with fresher ideas.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Or being in political office for 50 years (essentially his entire adult life)?

Lots of people spend their entire lives in political office...

4bwu4h.jpg

And some want to SO bad...

beto-fail.jpg

1 hour ago, steve1363 said:

He killed a proposal to make it mandatory for freshmen to live on campus.  http://thedailycougar.com/2014/08/21/senator-singlehandedly-sunk-housing-requirement/

He’s a swamp creature.  I would prefer someone with fresher ideas.

I'm going to bet that freshman living arrangements don't move the needle much in a city-wide election.

9 hours ago, august948 said:

Lots of people spend their entire lives in political office...

4bwu4h.jpg

And some want to SO bad...

beto-fail.jpg

I'm going to bet that freshman living arrangements don't move the needle much in a city-wide election.

Yeah now do that with people who spent their entire life in STATE GOVERNMENT (certainly takes a special kind) and whose leadership accomplishments evidently include banning last meals of choice at the jailhouse.  (Granted, I see why that'd be a major turn-on for some on here--you know, the evangelical Christian crowd . . . WWJD after all.)

Regardless, if it's good for the goose it's good for the gander.  I have zero doubt Bluey was one of those people regurgitating the nonsensical party line, "Biden didn't fix anything during the 40 years he was in the Senate."  (Maybe the distinguishing point here is that there has been, of course, nothing whatsoever to fix in Texas since 1973.)

But I'll wait and see how the campaign plays out, although I must admit the endorsement of everyone's favorite "Cerulean Canine" is not helping.

In other news, Santa Claus the Bail Bondsman is running for Controller, along with Dave Martin.

Michael Kubosh and Dave Martin plan to run for Houston controller (houstonchronicle.com)

I bet somebody's juices are flowing with this early Christmas present.

If those are the only two to throw their hat in the ring (I doubt it will be), well, it's a simple choice for me.

6 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Yeah now do that with people who spent their entire life in STATE GOVERNMENT (certainly takes a special kind) and whose leadership accomplishments evidently include banning last meals of choice at the jailhouse.  (Granted, I see why that'd be a major turn-on for some on here--you know, the evangelical Christian crowd . . . WWJD after all.)

Regardless, if it's good for the goose it's good for the gander.  I have zero doubt Bluey was one of those people regurgitating the nonsensical party line, "Biden didn't fix anything during the 40 years he was in the Senate."  (Maybe the distinguishing point here is that there has been, of course, nothing whatsoever to fix in Texas since 1973.)

But I'll wait and see how the campaign plays out, although I must admit the endorsement of everyone's favorite "Cerulean Canine" is not helping.

Calm down...I was just pointing out that there a lot of lifers in politics.  Probably the vast majority, if you look at it closely, on both sides.  Plus some wannabe's.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2023 at 3:32 PM, august948 said:

Calm down...I was just pointing out that there a lot of lifers in politics.  Probably the vast majority, if you look at it closely, on both sides.  Plus some wannabe's.

It'll be a very intriguing 2023 Mayoral campaign including campaigns for Houston City Controller & City Council.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More endorsements for State Senator John Whitmire (D-Houston) for Houston Mayor. 

*Former Houston Mayor Lee "Out-of-Town" Brown (D):

*Harris County Precinct 3 Constable Sherman Eagleton:

*Afro American Police Officers Union:

Man houston and Harris co were run by a gang of losers, cagle, Ramsey, the last guy Lena beat. And all they did was make themselves rich and give us horrible infrastructure and increase flooding. I’m so glad their power is being limited and they’re losing elections. I am against  whitimire and his corrupt cronies and billionaire benefactors. They’re a bunch of stale boomer farts and we need to air out the room. They kept houston and Harris co in the past and I can’t wait for them all to be shown the door. 

Edited by goofy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/11/2023 at 7:17 AM, goofy said:

Man houston and Harris co were run by a gang of losers, cagle, Ramsey, the last guy Lena beat. And all they did was make themselves rich and give us horrible infrastructure and increase flooding. I’m so glad their power is being limited and they’re losing elections. I am against  whitimire and his corrupt cronies and billionaire benefactors. They’re a bunch of stale boomer farts and we need to air out the room. They kept houston and Harris co in the past and I can’t wait for them all to be shown the door. 

Whitmire is likely going to be the next Mayor in all likelihood! 

• 2 weeks later...

Strange race shaping up with the two frontrunners basically using the job as a retirement plan.  Whitmire and Jackson Lee are both 73.  They would be 80 by the end of a second term.  

Whitmire is clearly the establishment/centrist candidate and will get piles of cash from the developers and energy execs.  SJL has a very dedicated constituency but is hugely polarizing outside of her district.  I guess she would position herself as the more progressive candidate that stands with the parts of town that don't see all the development.  

I would not count out Amanda Edwards.  She could be the more progressive candidate and get the Lina Hidalgo voters.  

• Like 5