John Whitmire Houston Mayor

Sheila

On 10/18/2023 at 8:13 PM, steve1363 said:

Isn’t it obvious SJL is trying to make abortion an issue in this election?  Both candidates are going after women voters.  SJL gets Hilary and Whitmire gets two Hispanic women politicians (Alvarado and Garcia).  As usual the Hispanic vote cannot coalesce around a Hispanic candidate…they’ll never learn.

Doubling-down on Whitmire winning the Mayoralty regardless. Folks do NOT want SJL & especially once those audio recordings came out over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Contests to watch for Tonight:

*Houston Mayor: Runoff between Whitmire (D) vs SJL (D).

*Houston City Controller: Runoff between Hollins (D) vs Sanchez (R).

*Houston City Council At-Large 1 (OPEN): Can Kendall Baker avoid a runoff & win outright ?

*Houston City Council At-Large 2 (OPEN): Runoff

*Houston City Council At-Large 3 (OPEN): Can former ABC 13 KTRK-TV Houston meteorologist Casey Curry pull this off & win ?

*Houston City Council At-Large 4: Incumbent City Councilwoman At-Large 4 Letitia Plummer (D) should be able to win reelection without a runoff.

*Houston City Council At-Large 5: Incumbent City Councilwoman At-Large 5 Sallie Alcorn (D) wins reelection easily.

*Houston City Council District A: Incumbent District A City Councilwoman Amy Peck (R) easily wins reelection in a massive landslide.

*Houston City Council District B: Incumbent District B City Councilwoman Tarsha Jackson (D) wins 1st full 4-year term.

*Houston City Council District C: Incumbent District C City Councilwoman Abbie Kamin (D) wins reelection.

*Houston City Council District D: Incumbent District D City Councilwoman Carolyn Evans-Shabazz (D) wins reelection in massive landslide.

*Houston City Council District E (OPEN): Runoff

*Houston City Council District F: Incumbent District F City Councilwoman Tiffany D. Thomas (D) wins reelection.

*Houston City Council District G: Incumbent District G City Councilwoman Mary Nan Huffman (R) wins 1st full 4-year term defeating that Jackass Buzbee.

*Houston City Council District H (OPEN): Runoff maybe if neither get the necessary 50% to win outright.

*Houston City Council District I (OPEN): Maybe a potential runoff.

*Houston City Council District J: Incumbent District J City Councilman Edward Pollard (D) wins reelection. Although I suspect Pollard will be plotting campaigns for higher office in the future.

*Houston City Council District K: Incumbent District K City Councilwoman Martha Castex-Tatum (D) easily wins reelection.

Any disagreements or personal thoughts ?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, steve1363 said:

I’ll be surprised if Sanchez forces a runoff with Hollins.  

Sanchez is well-known across Houston considering he served 3 2-year terms on the Houston City Council representing At-Large 3 & Harris County Treasurer for 12 years from January 1st, 2007 to December 31st, 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_Sanchez_(politician)

https://orlandosanchez.com/

https://orlandosanchez.com/endorsements/

Noticed some former TV news reporters & anchors have backed Sanchez.

Edited by Blue Dogs

• The topic was pinned

@steve1363 We now have Runoffs for Houston Mayor, Houston City Controller & several City Council seats set for December 9th I think.

Mayor: Doubling-down on Whitmire winning this very easily. I've got to think Garcia, Kaplan, Kahn & Co., will be pressured to endorse Whitmire. 

City Controller: I called it! Runoff between Hollins (D) vs Sanchez (R).

4 hours ago, Blue Dogs said:

@steve1363 We now have Runoffs for Houston Mayor, Houston City Controller & several City Council seats set for December 9th I think.

Mayor: Doubling-down on Whitmire winning this very easily. I've got to think Garcia, Kaplan, Kahn & Co., will be pressured to endorse Whitmire. 

I agree Whitmire is likely to win but thinking that there is serious "pressure" for endorsements and that endorsements from "Garcia, Kaplan, Kahn & Co." will figure in any meaningful way in the outcome is, IMO, rather hilarious.

Congrats buddy!  There's a first time for everything!  🤣

I give you credit for calling the Houston City Controller runoff.  You also blew the call on Houston City Council District D: Incumbent District D City Councilwoman Carolyn Evans-Shabazz (D) wins reelection in massive landslide.  She is also in a runoff!

I based my opinion on gut.  I never saw a single ad for Sanchez.  He was as surprised as anyone to be in a runoff given the campaign funding discrepancies. 

He recently loaned his campaign $200,000 but noted Tuesday night that he remains financially outstripped by Hollins. “It’s amazing to be heading to a runoff when you’re outspent" by a wide margin, he said.

I expect Whitmire and Hollins to win easily in December, regardless of endorsements.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, steve1363 said:

I give you credit for calling the Houston City Controller runoff.  You also blew the call on Houston City Council District D: Incumbent District D City Councilwoman Carolyn Evans-Shabazz (D) wins reelection in massive landslide.  She is also in a runoff!

I based my opinion on gut.  I never saw a single ad for Sanchez.  He was as surprised as anyone to be in a runoff given the campaign funding discrepancies. 

I expect Whitmire and Hollins to win easily in December, regardless of endorsements.

I was surprised that Evans-Shabazz missed out on winning outright in District D: I think Provost is to blame for that one, who needs to get the hint that NOBODY wants her on the Houston City Council & go away.

I also agree with you on Whitmire easily trouncing SJL in the Mayoral runoff election. Big question is whether Sanchez can pull off a miracle in the City Controller runoff election & according to Jennifer Knesek on Instagram, she does NOT like Hollins at all.

2 hours ago, Blue Dogs said:

I was surprised that Evans-Shabazz missed out on winning outright in District D: I think Provost is to blame for that one, who needs to get the hint that NOBODY wants her on the Houston City Council & go away.

I also agree with you on Whitmire easily trouncing SJL in the Mayoral runoff election. Big question is whether Sanchez can pull off a miracle in the City Controller runoff election & according to Jennifer Knesek on Instagram, she does NOT like Hollins at all.

Maybe if Sanchez gets some ads out there he’ll have a chance?  Sounds like he and Hollins do have actual policy differences (e.g. Hollins wants to raise the budget cap).  I’d love to hear arguments based on policy.  
I’ve never heard of Jennifer Knesek but if she’s a Republican then it’s understandable she would not care for Hollins.

On 11/9/2023 at 2:25 PM, steve1363 said:

I’ve never heard of Jennifer Knesek but if she’s a Republican then it’s understandable she would not care for Hollins.

She's a Republican political consultant/PR flack who is currently a staffer in the Texas Senate. So I wouldn't expect her to be favorably inclined toward Hollins, to say the least.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2023 at 3:25 PM, mkultra25 said:

She's a Republican political consultant/PR flack who is currently a staffer in the Texas Senate. So I wouldn't expect her to be favorably inclined toward Hollins, to say the least.

The more important question, of course, is who she has endorsed, as I'm told it's all about endorsements.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2023 at 3:25 PM, mkultra25 said:

Former Houston Mayor Annise Parker (D) & former Houston City Councilman At-Large 5 Jack Christie (R) endorsing Whitmire in the Houston Mayoral Runoff election. 

On 11/15/2023 at 12:22 PM, mattyt36 said:

The more important question, of course, is who she has endorsed, as I'm told it's all about endorsements.

It can be, not so much for the voters but for the endorsers.  I have to wonder what Mayor Turner was promised to induce him to endorse SJL.

12 hours ago, august948 said:

I have to wonder what Mayor Turner was promised to induce him to endorse SJL.

I'm sure not a darned thing.  C'mon, augie, you know Turner and SJL are part of the "same" Democratic Party with a long history.  John Whitmire was essentially hand-picked by the State GOP.  Why on earth would Turner even think of endorsing him?  I thought you understood politics . . . 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 12:19 PM, mattyt36 said:

I'm sure not a darned thing.  C'mon, augie, you know Turner and SJL are part of the "same" Democratic Party with a long history.  John Whitmire was essentially hand-picked by the State GOP.  Why on earth would Turner even think of endorsing him?  I thought you understood politics . . . 

One hand washing the other is probably one of the oldest elements of politics, my friend.  Let's see where Mayor Turner turns up next.

6 hours ago, august948 said:

One hand washing the other is probably one of the oldest elements of politics, my friend.  Let's see where Mayor Turner turns up next.

Or having complete policy disagreements and a multi-decade personal relationship, maybe?  Not everything is a conspiracy. 🙄

I think everyone is way off base about all of this. I think if we want to understand what the next few years of Houston politics will look like, then we should look to Los Angeles. The new ballot initiative that allows city council members to place items on the agenda is going to make city council positions much more political and higher visibility. And as Houston becomes increasingly Latino, there’s going to be a lot of anxiety about representation, particularly for African-Americans. If you look at Los Angeles, there has been a lot of recent tension, anxiety and racism about representation on city Council. We’re already seeing shades of this with the most recent elections for court of commissioners at the county. In general, I think we should look to larger trends in similar cities.

As a native Austinite, I remember when we had our city council reform.  City Council and city councilman went from being generally anonymous to mini celebrities. I believe some combination of Los Angeles-style tension, and Austin-style attention seeking will be the future of Houston politics.

5 hours ago, goofy said:

I think everyone is way off base about all of this. I think if we want to understand what the next few years of Houston politics will look like, then we should look to Los Angeles. The new ballot initiative that allows city council members to place items on the agenda is going to make city council positions much more political and higher visibility. And as Houston becomes increasingly Latino, there’s going to be a lot of anxiety about representation, particularly for African-Americans. If you look at Los Angeles, there has been a lot of recent tension, anxiety and racism about representation on city Council. We’re already seeing shades of this with the most recent elections for court of commissioners at the county. In general, I think we should look to larger trends in similar cities.

As a native Austinite, I remember when we had our city council reform.  City Council and city councilman went from being generally anonymous to mini celebrities. I believe some combination of Los Angeles-style tension, and Austin-style attention seeking will be the future of Houston politics.

Later, Turner continued, “I’ve lived 69 years. I know when you’re sending a dog whistle.” 

Outgoing Houston Mayor, frontrunner candidate spar over City Hall representation https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/houston/article/houston-election-mayor-turner-whitmire-diversity-18524154.php

Edited by goofy
  • Haha 1

On 11/30/2023 at 3:35 PM, goofy said:

Later, Turner continued, “I’ve lived 69 years. I know when you’re sending a dog whistle.” 

Outgoing Houston Mayor, frontrunner candidate spar over City Hall representation https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/houston/article/houston-election-mayor-turner-whitmire-diversity-18524154.php

Turner needs to SHUT UP.

1 hour ago, Blue Dogs said:

Turner needs to SHUT UP.

Now that’s some charged language, especially without further exposition as to why he needs to “SHUT UP,” some may even say threatening. Do you find yourself using such language often when it comes to disagreements with people of color?

14 minutes ago, august948 said:

He can't...this is the point where he has to do the back-scratching.

My cousin told me it's going to be raining this weekend: especially on Saturday: which will hurt turnout.

Doubling-down on Whitmire being the next Mayor of Houston & wouldn't be shocked if he wins by double digits.

On 11/30/2023 at 9:39 AM, goofy said:

Let's not forget about the special diet of Good Old Gentrification & driving folks OUT of Houston for good.

I hope there's a recall election real soon.

My reasoning:  both of the finalist candidates in the mayoral race have a track record strongly established by many consistent witnesses (now over decades) of their personally treating underlings as something more like props and less like God's children, less like respected or gainfully employed public servants, less like their dedicated colleagues and less than even playthings, whether that was at the State Capitol Complex in his case or on Capitol Hill in the congresswoman's.

Many politicians are VIPs and tragically pounce on others to lord it over them.  Staff warnings to newer professional staff in the two cities, however, show these two souls both have chosen to keep spending decades going beyond even the nasty norms in that regard.  

This character habit of abusing the trust that Texans have placed in them may not make them incapable of leading people, or cities.  But it certainly handicaps their ability to make decisions humbly and to own up to their mistakes (the past ones as well as mistakes in the future process of governance) before it's too late for those people or this city to benefit from that change of heart.  As busy as the mayor of any city is, I do not guess that the one elected would have spare time and attention to break their old personal habits even if they decided it was urgent time for a change of heart.  I will hope for that change of heart.

Edited by strickn

• The title was changed to 2023 Houston Mayoral Election
  • The topic was pinned
  • This topic was unpinned, unpinned and pinned

image.png

What's the fastest way to lose my vote?  Send me text message spam.

It shows a fundamental lack of respect for me as a person and a voter; shows how out of touch the candidate is; and demonstrates that to him, his campaign is more important than anything else, including the voters.

I keep a running list of politicians who have spammed me, and each election I make sure not to vote for any of them.

I'm no fan of Sheila Jackson Lee, but at least she's not a filthy spammer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1