Midtown Shoppes At 3030 Travis St.

Urbannizer

4 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

No unfortunately. The article mentions Ziegler Cooper as the architect, Mondrian at the Museums was designed by Perkins+Will. ZC does not have anything similar to Perkins+Will's work. 

Sometimes we forget that Aris Market Square was a ZC building, and in my opinion, is their best work in this city thus far. I think something like an Aris is the best we can hope for in this situation + implementation of new parking regulations. If that is the case then this could be something really nice. Lets wait and see.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, thatguysly said:

Midtown Park along the rail was  brilliant idea that has spurred development around it. Seems everyone wants to have easy access to it. It is a nice little spot to visit too. Really ties the area together.

So weird to think of how midtown used to be in the 2000s. I remember riding metrorail and always going past that large vacant piece of land that's now Midtown Park and thinking how I wish this was really something someday. Here we are in 2019 and this entire area is completely different now.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

Sometimes we forget that Aris Market Square was a ZC building, and in my opinion, is their best work in this city thus far. I think something like an Aris is the best we can hope for in this situation + implementation of new parking regulations. If that is the case then this could be something really nice. Lets wait and see.

Indeed it is one of their best, but overall a lot their residential portfolio for Houston seems recycled to the eyes and with most of them being beige doesn't help. I'll be excited if it's more in line with something like Buffalo Heights, Hanover Southampton or The Driscoll. We could use more variety.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

You make a great point. Aris Market is one of their better buildings in Houston in the last 5 years.

Its potentially another moment to do something interesting. They have Drewery Place to play off of and the park to play off of. ZC seems to do better when they have models of other things to play off of instead in isolation. For Aris they drew a lot of inspiration from the square, the historical buildings around it, and various precedents set by other buildings around it. Here they have the same opportunity.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, HoustonBoy said:

This is exciting, I want to see that park completely surrounded by mid/high-rises. Concrete canyons and locations that are 360 surrounded by buildings always give developed cities such an urban feel. That's why I love driving down Fannin in the med district

Camden also needs to seriously consider doing a facade upgrade to their Travis Street Apartments. Would not mind at all if they updated to the kind of look that their apartments across the street. Would be a great opportunity to install retail as well. Besides that facade is dated and messy.

47 minutes ago, HoustonBoy said:

This is exciting, I want to see that park completely surrounded by mid/high-rises. Concrete canyons and locations that are 360 surrounded by buildings always give developed cities such an urban feel. That's why I love driving down Fannin in the med district

If this is going to be Midtown "central park", they really need to make it more pedestrian friendly to get there. Maybe add in some pedestrian crossing lights on Travis similar to what they did at Montrose next to the new MFAH area. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to 3030 Travis St. - Future Redevelopment Site
  • 6 months later...

I don't know if this will be Pretty Liar alone or two bars in one.

About a month ago, Instagram suggested the accounts Pretty Liar and El Capi to follow based on the accounts I follow. Both list 3030 Travis St in Midtown Houston as the address. Both are also from the same owner or hospitality group.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I was hoping this shopping center would be demolished but for $50 mil that remodel better be drastic. 

Yep. Heck, Shorenstein only paid $40 million for the entire 800 Bell site, land, building, and the parking garage.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 7:30 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

I don't know if this will be Pretty Liar alone or two bars in one.

About a month ago, Instagram suggested the accounts Pretty Liar and El Capi to follow based on the accounts I follow. Both list 3030 Travis St in Midtown Houston as the address. Both are also from the same owner or hospitality group.

Pretty Liar and El Capi, both planned for 3030 Travis St are bar or night club concepts from newly formed Union Station Hospitality Group. Another concept named Anita is possibly planned for the former Midtown Shoppes property at 3030 Travis St.

They have another Midtown bar planned for Milam named Hepburn's.

Union Station Hospitality Group is also working on a bar or night club named Now or Never. I don't know yet if that project will be located at 3030 Travis, somewhere on Milam, or elsewhere in Midtown.

The 3030 Travis St property (Midtown Shoppes) is owned by the Kirby Group (TKG Holdings). The group purchased the property this year. However, there aren't any plans to house a Kirby Group concept on the property. I think Kirby Group leased a few spaces to Union Station Hospitality Group for their upcoming projects.

The future goal is a boutique hotel for the 3030 Travis St property. That could happen in the next ten years or so.

CultureMap may have more on all the planned concepts in the coming weeks or in early 2022. Unlike Eater Houston, CultureMap does a good job keeping the public on top of restaurant and bar coverage, for the most part. Though reporting on rumors, alcohol notices, building permits, and so is where Eater Houston should reign but it doesn't.

Moderators, please consider changing the title to the address only or the name of the property, Midtown Shoppes , 3030 Travis St. This isn't just one bar or club, as the title of the thread implies.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Pretty Liars - 3030 Travis St.
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Midtown Shoppes - 3030 Travis St.
On 9/21/2022 at 2:24 PM, phillip_white said:

The facade is all new. The mixed color brick is a weird attempt to make distressed plaster look. I am not a fan.

Me, either.
It spurs unpleasant memories of the Gawd-awful Z-Brick that was popular a few decades ago (I understand that it has improved somewhat).

23 minutes ago, scarface said:

So no one else is noticing that this is appearing to be another B.S. suburban style development for Midtown🤢?

Please tell me I'm missing something.

It's not a new development. It looks like a renovation of the existing building that's been there forever.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2022 at 4:57 PM, hindesky said:

Looks like it is called "Now or Never".

pmDByFw.png

Now or Never is one of several bars / clubs opening on this property. I posted about it last year, though some of the concepts planned have been replace by others:

👇🏿👇🏿👇🏿

On 11/21/2021 at 7:43 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Pretty Liar and El Capi, both planned for 3030 Travis St are bar or night club concepts from newly formed Union Station Hospitality Group. Another concept named Anita is possibly planned for the former Midtown Shoppes property at 3030 Travis St.

They have another Midtown bar planned for Milam named Hepburn's.

Union Station Hospitality Group is also working on a bar or night club named Now or Never. I don't know yet if that project will be located at 3030 Travis, somewhere on Milam, or elsewhere in Midtown.

The 3030 Travis St property (Midtown Shoppes) is owned by the Kirby Group (TKG Holdings). The group purchased the property this year. However, there aren't any plans to house a Kirby Group concept on the property. I think Kirby Group leased a few spaces to Union Station Hospitality Group for their upcoming projects.

The future goal is a boutique hotel for the 3030 Travis St property. That could happen in the next ten years or so.