Memories Of Downtown

jb4647

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that there was a Texaco station right there, down town.....

I remember a few gasoline filling stations downtown even into the 1960's. I can't remember exact locations but I'm certain there was one near where the Pierce Elevated is now.

I am a bit surprised that it seems there is so much haze..... It appears to me that there is a lot of air pollution. The Houston MSA had how many people at this time? Million?

There was no EPA in the 1940s, that explains the haze and pollution.

As you point out JLW, even in 1943 the Houston SMSA had about a million people, most of them driving cars and pickup trucks. Every motor vehicle on the streets and roads was burning leaded gasoline or diesel fuel and spewing hydrocarbons into the air, but almost nobody cared.

Remember it was also the middle of WWII, and the freight and military materiel coming through the Port of Houston was enormous. That meant thousands of diesel freight trucks coming and going from the Port 24 hours a day seven days a week. Thousands more tanker trucks coming and going from the refineries and chemical plants just made it worse.

It's a wonder the smog wasn't even worse than we see in this photo. I'm guessing it probably WAS worse, but not on the day the photo was taken.

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello all -

I realize there is VERY little to go on here, but wondering if anyone can help me figure out where exactly this is downtown.  It was July 1962 when the Manned Spacecraft Center moved to Houston.  There was a parade downtown to celebrate.  My grandmother likely took the photo, as I found it in a box of her pictures.  My dad had moved to Houston with NASA (but they didn't know him yet).  It would be fun to know the exact block they were standing to watch the parade and take this photo, but would need to be able to identify the building across the street (pretty plain looking):

image.png.e9618fbe4c19b9cd190e78c190b56105.png

Well... no sooner than I posted that did it dawn on me the "F" in the photo must be Foleys!  LOL... Pretty sue that's it looking at old photos... leaving up anyway in case this is a fun memory to share about the NASA parade...

• 3 months later...

Anyone have pics of the Old Farmers Market downtown?

My Dad had place there in mid-50's.

The Water Melon Flats (big concrete lot) backed up to Buffalo Bayou, heard stories of finding dead winos that drowned there.

You can still see them (at least my last trip about 5 years ago) on 45 N to the right just before you cross over the Bayou

It occupied a large area, what is now known as Market Square.

It closed in 59 and most moved over to the Harris County Farmers Mkt 2520 Airline or the Market off Wayside Dr.

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Downtown Civil Defense Drill Footage
  • The title was changed to Memories Of Downtown

Archived