Memories Of Downtown

jb4647

Yeah, I saw that thing blitzing through downtown and was just wondering: 1) who pays for the damage to asphalt, and 2) why? What can a tank do amongst highrises? And if the scenario was that a bomb had just gone off, then what can a tank or jeeps do amongst piles of rubble?

It looked like an excuse for a parade, to me.

You are absolutely correct. Purely a confidence builder for the civilian population scared of commie Ruskie nukes...

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What concerns me about the above video is that someone might take it at face value.

No. Techno-disco music wasn't the norm in the 50's, and the images appear to have been assembled from various sources. I hope people understand that this is sheerly for entertainment value and may not be an accurate historic record.

But it gives me an excuse to link to one of my favorite WAV files: http://www.antiqueweekend.com/x/wav/BigRed_Run4.wav

This is a sound that was familiar to Houstonians every Friday at noon. (There have been previous threads on this topic.) Especially love the distinctive sound of the Chrysler starter motor and the roar of the Hemi engine.

Nice find. didn't care much for the disco beat, but the choice of the air raid siren sound effect was exellent!

Also the shot of the Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000T ( set to chopper level 5) was neat.

IIRC Houston never had Chrysler Air Raid Sirens, just Thunderbolt 1000T's (correct me if I'm wrong!)

Chrysler Air Raid Sirens were single toned.

EDIT: Now that I heard it several times it sounds more like a British Carters siren!

IIRC Houston never had Chrysler Air Raid Sirens, just Thunderbolt 1000T's (correct me if I'm wrong!)

Chrysler Air Raid Sirens were single toned.

Good point!

I don't know which system was used in Houston; would be eager to hear from someone with personal knowledge as to what made that ungodly racket in Tranquility Park, circa 1982 :)

What concerns me about the above video is that someone might take it at face value.

the images appear to have been assembled from various sources.

It's all from the same film at:

http://www.texasarchive.org/library/index.php?title=Air_Defense_-_Houston_Evacuation&gsearch=houston

The captions I wrote are base on Bayou City History article at:

http://blogs.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/2007/10/target_houston_1.html

In an attempt to make history more palatable to short attention spanned Youtubers, I try to use modern paced editing and music or percussion.

I figure serious history nuts are going to google their way to the original source film like I did, that may be a bad assumption.

It's all from the same film at:

http://www.texasarchive.org/library/index.php?title=Air_Defense_-_Houston_Evacuation&gsearch=houston

The captions I wrote are base on Bayou City History article at:

http://blogs.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/2007/10/target_houston_1.html

In an attempt to make history more palatable to short attention spanned Youtubers, I try to use modern paced editing and music or percussion.

I figure serious history nuts are going to google their way to the original source film like I did, that may be a bad assumption.

Thanks for giving the source material. So often modern and historic footage are interspersed and this can be misleading.

• 3 months later...

I don't believe there was any such thing as "casual attire" back in those days. I'm presently reading a book about the old Colt 45's. It's got some great photos in it including one of the crowd on opening day in old Colt Stadium. Every man in the stadium is wearing a tie, despite what was a very hot day and no shade.

I don't believe there was any such thing as "casual attire" back in those days. I'm presently reading a book about the old Colt 45's. It's got some great photos in it including one of the crowd on opening day in old Colt Stadium. Every man in the stadium is wearing a tie, despite what was a very hot day and no shade.

That could mean that they were tougher in the day, we are wusses now, or the climate change is subtle.

Then again, casual wear probably didn't exist back then.

It's not easy thinking about how soft we are these days. As little clothing as possible, and outside as little as possible. They endured it all with suit and tie, no AC, and (hold your breath here) no deodorant!

Just imaging the petrie dish of smells, it's no wonder where perfume came from!

They endured it all with suit and tie, no AC,

We got window units in the late 50s, the central air in 1966, but my parents ran it as little as possible because it hiked the electric bill, and I'm thinking dang why have it if you ain't going to run it. Of course I wasn't paying the bill.

I love the clothes and hats from back then. I don't think it was any less hot, but everyone was used to it because they didn't have a choice.

My 85 year old mom talks about the days with no AC and she wound slip into a cold bath then walk around in her bra and panties, as I have no recollection of this, I assume this was before my time and not a traumatic black out.

I can remember in the early 60s, men and boys would wear t-shirts around the house, but if they were to go anywhere they'd put on a shirt, a nice pullover or a short sleeve with buttons.

We got window units in the late 50s, the central air in 1966, but my parents ran it as little as possible because it hiked the electric bill, and I'm thinking dang why have it if you ain't going to run it. Of course I wasn't paying the bill.

My 85 year old mom talks about the days with no AC and she wound slip into a cold bath then walk around in her bra and panties, as I have no recollection of this, I assume this was before my time and not a traumatic black out.

We always had window units and my mom still does in the house I grew up in. Yes, they only ran them at bedtime for years. The rest of the time was open windows, fans, and going outside into the shade where there was a breeze. My mom just turned 87 and as far as I know she never wandered around the house in her underwear. Of course, when I was at school, I wouldn't know... :rolleyes:

Interesting. Given how hot/humid it is why would they do that?

I've thought about that, I think how you dressed meant more in those days, indicating status or the lack of it. The senior citizens of those days went through the Great Depression probably mid-career, and weren't willing to surrender their indication of status that some of them had to claw their back to get. I wish I had the forethought to ask some of them at the time.

I've thought about that, I think how you dressed meant more in those days, indicating status or the lack of it. The senior citizens of those days went through the Great Depression probably mid-career, and weren't willing to surrender their indication of status that some of them had to claw their back to get. I wish I had the forethought to ask some of them at the time.

How one dressed wasn't so much a status thing back then -- it had to do with what was considered appropriate for the occasion. Before, during and after the Depression, people of extremely modest means still wore neckties and hats when they were out in public because that was considered proper attire. The 1960's ushered in a huge cultural upheaval -- manners and morals changed drastically and appropriateness in dress no longer mattered.

How one dressed wasn't so much a status thing back then -- it had to do with what was considered appropriate for the occasion. Before, during and after the Depression, people of extremely modest means still wore neckties and hats when they were out in public because that was considered proper attire. The 1960's ushered in a huge cultural upheaval -- manners and morals changed drastically and appropriateness in dress no longer mattered.

I'm going to agree about 80%. People of extremely modest means made the attempt to dress appropriately, but their worn shoes or out dated clothing still indicated their situation; however, my Dad said as a kid he didn't know they were poor because everyone was.

I'm going to agree about 80%. People of extremely modest means made the attempt to dress appropriately, but their worn shoes or out dated clothing still indicated their situation; however, my Dad said as a kid he didn't know they were poor because everyone was.

"Outdated" clothing? No such thing back then.

People of earlier generations didn't replace their wardrobes every year the way so many people do today. Styles didn't change from year to year. Suits and dresses made in 1960 looked just like suits and dresses made in 1950.

This allowed people to buy clothes that were made to last, and they wore them for as long as they could. Growing kids were the only ones who got new clothes all the time.

If people added or lost weight, clothes were made to be "let out" or "taken in." Torn clothing was repaired, even socks. Shoes were re-soled and re-heeled. Remember cobblers and shoe repair shops?

A photo of people on the streets taken in 1950 would look almost just like a photo taken in the same spot five or even ten years later.

"Outdated" clothing? No such thing back then.

People of earlier generations didn't replace their wardrobes every year the way so many people do today. Styles didn't change from year to year. Suits and dresses made in 1960 looked just like suits and dresses made in 1950.

This allowed people to buy clothes that were made to last, and they wore them for as long as they could. Growing kids were the only ones who got new clothes all the time.

If people added or lost weight, clothes were made to be "let out" or "taken in." Torn clothing was repaired, even socks. Shoes were re-soled and re-heeled. Remember cobblers and shoe repair shops?

A photo of people on the streets taken in 1950 would look almost just like a photo taken in the same spot five or even ten years later.

I agree with all of that except the last sentence. Thanks to JFK and lower rooflines in cars, 1960 was the beginning of the end for men's fedoras and similar hats. Another contributing factor, although it was a little later than 1960, was the increasing availability of polyester textiles and the corresponding creation of "casual wear."

My dad wore work boots at work and black dress shoes everywhere else. I don't think he ever had a pair of sneakers until after he retired. I was always amused that he'd go play badminton or work on the car in black dress shoes. Of course over time they got pretty scruffy, but they were still dress shoes.

I believe T-Shirts were worn then, but at the appropriate times (think Greasers). Also, consider that many clothes were homemade. They wore their store-bought clothes when they went to "Town" or church, etc.

While dressing appropriately was more important, there was an element of status as well. Men wore suits, ties, dress shoes everywhere because, in general, only the working class appeared in public in anything less. It was what you donned in the morning, every morning, unless you were going to engage in some activity that dictated otherwise. I remember my grandfather wearing suit, tie and a hat just to come over to our house. I also remember Grandpa wearing khakis to go fishing, for instance, but to the day he died (1967), he never once put his legs into a pair of bluejeans. That was just not done except by those people.

And I'm not so old--55--but we always wore dresses to school until I got to junior high. It was the dress code. Go Texan day was extra special because we were allowed to wear britches. It wasn't so much about dressing to "go downtown", because it was what you did to go anywhere; it was the default.

Archived