Montrose Collective: Office Building With Retail At 888 Westheimer Rd.

trymahjong

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2023 at 8:07 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Idle Hands closed its Houston outpost at 910 Westheimer Rd a few months ago. The rooftop bar was located in Montrose Collective.

On 8/21/2023 at 4:00 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Word is Le Ciel Hospitality may lease (or has leased) Idle Hand's former space at Montrose Collective.

Le Ciel Hospitality is the team behind Ciel, the supper club dining concept at 4411 San Felipe St, Suite 101.  I haven't reached out to the restaurant group for details. The website for Montrose Collective's has nothing about Idle Hand's replacement. Furthermore, I am unable to find a website or social media accounts for a possible concept.

However, I did notice a recent entity filing that seems to back up the rumor. Le Ciel Hospitality filed an entity for 910 Westheimer LLC last month. So, maybe the group is working on something for 910 Westheimer.

Hopefully, whatever is planned for Idle Hand's former space will be reported by year's end.

Le Ciel Hospitality has leased Idle Hands' former unit at Montrose Collective. The hospitality group is the mind behind Ciel, the supperclub at 4411 San Felipe St, Suite 101.

A bar or nightclub is planned for the 910 Westheimer unit. Although there are no permits indicating a name, the bar's moniker is Sophie. 

There is an Instagram for Sophie. While, the bio doesn't list an address or any other location, I'm certain it's the bar's social media account. It's billed as a rooftop and lounge in its Instagram bio.

https://www.instagram.com/sophierooftop/

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2024 at 3:19 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Le Ciel Hospitality has leased Idle Hands' former unit at Montrose Collective. The hospitality group is the mind behind Ciel, the supperclub at 4411 San Felipe St, Suite 101.

A bar or nightclub is planned for the 910 Westheimer unit. Although there are no permits indicating a name, the bar's moniker is Sophie. 

There is an Instagram for Sophie. While, the bio doesn't list an address or any other location, I'm certain it's the bar's social media account. It's billed as a rooftop and lounge in its Instagram bio.

Correction: There were two Instagram accounts created for Sophie. Last week, the name for one of those accounts was changed to Sophiehoutx. I am assuming that one is the bar's official Instagram.

Sophie is a rooftop bar and lounge for Le Ciel Hospitality. It's one of the latest additions to Montrose Collection. 

Sophie replaces Idle Hands at 910 Westheimer Rd.

https://www.instagram.com/sophiehoutx

xVk2NXC.jpeg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

Word is Le Ciel Hospitality may lease (or has leased) Idle Hand's former space at Montrose Collective.

Le Ciel Hospitality is the team behind Ciel, the supper club dining concept at 4411 San Felipe St, Suite 101.  I haven't reached out to the restaurant group for details. The website for Montrose Collective's has nothing about Idle Hand's replacement. Furthermore, I am unable to find a website or social media accounts for a possible concept.

However, I did notice a recent entity filing that seems to back up the rumor. Le Ciel Hospitality filed an entity for 910 Westheimer LLC last month. So, maybe the group is working on something for 910 Westheimer.

Hopefully, whatever is planned for Idle Hand's former space will be reported by year's end.

Last week, Houston Business Journal published an "exclusive" pertaining to Sophie opening soon at Montrose Collective. Sophie is a rooftop bar and lounge from the group behind Ciel (4411 San Felipe, Ste 101.)

According to Houston Business Journal, Sophie's estimated debut is late March 2024.

Additional details for Houston Business Journal:

Sophie is expected to fill a niche that is not currently offered at Montrose Collective.

A source familiar with the deal said that while the development currently has tenants that offer wine and beer...“there’s not really a place where people can enjoy spirits before or after dinner.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2024/02/14/ciel-hospitality-to-open-cocktail-bar.html

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

On 2/19/2024 at 4:36 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Last week, Houston Business Journal published an "exclusive" pertaining to Sophie opening soon at Montrose Collective. Sophie is a rooftop bar and lounge from the group behind Ciel (4411 San Felipe, Ste 101.)

According to Houston Business Journal, Sophie's estimated debut is late March 2024.

Sophie is expected to fill a niche that is not currently offered at Montrose Collective.

A source familiar with the deal said that while the development currently has tenants that offer wine and beer...“there’s not really a place where people can enjoy spirits before or after dinner.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2024/02/14/ciel-hospitality-to-open-cocktail-bar.html

According to an Instagram story posted by Sophie last week, the business is described as "art meets fashion in a deliciously, romantic Mediterranean setting." 

Sophie is a new cocktail bar from Le Ciel Hospitality. The group also own supperclub Ciel at 4411 San Felipe, Suite 101. Their new project is located in Montrose Collective. It replaces Idle Hands at 910 Westheimer Rd.

8MxgCq1.png

2 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

According to an Instagram story posted by Sophie last week, the business is described as "art meets fashion in a deliciously, romantic Mediterranean setting." 

Sophie shared a little more details about what to expect when it makes its debut this spring. In an Instagram post yesterday, the bar posted the following caption:

Renowned French artist, Philippine de Richemont, boasts a diverse painterly range from bold & colorful to powerful monochromes. She draws inspiration from the constant movement of our world. Her work, deeply influenced by comedy, ballet, & dance, will grace the walls of Sophie Cocktail Bar & Terrace, offering a captivating journey from life to abstraction.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4TYJpPMVbI

Sophie is a new cocktail bar opening soon in Montrose Collective. It's located at 910 Westheimer Rd.

On 3/10/2024 at 7:57 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Sophie shared a little more details about what to expect when it makes its debut this spring. In an Instagram post yesterday, the bar posted the following caption:

Renowned French artist, Philippine de Richemont, boasts a diverse painterly range from bold & colorful to powerful monochromes. She draws inspiration from the constant movement of our world. Her work, deeply influenced by comedy, ballet, & dance, will grace the walls of Sophie Cocktail Bar & Terrace, offering a captivating journey from life to abstraction.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4TYJpPMVbI

So they serve word salad. Yum!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

“Construction is already underway for the new Freed-Montrose Neighborhood Library, which will be in the Montrose Collective mixed-use shopping center,” the statement read.

The updated timeline lists the third quarter of this year — between July and September — as the completion date.

https://houstonlanding.org/houston-library-to-permanently-close-montrose-branch-due-to-safety-concerns/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

There is a website for Sophie.

Sophie is opening soon at 910 Westheimer Rd. It replaces Idle Hands in Montrose Collective.

https://sophiehtx.com/

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 4:36 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

On 3/10/2024 at 7:50 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Sophie is a new cocktail bar from Le Ciel Hospitality. The group also own supperclub Ciel at 4411 San Felipe, Suite 101. Their new project is located in Montrose Collective. It replaces Idle Hands at 910 Westheimer Rd.

Last month, Community Impact published an article on Sophie. The article provides a little more insight about the concept. 

As mentioned, Sophie is a new cocktail bar and lounge from La Ciel Hospitality. It's opening soon Montrose Collective.

According to an Instagram post from the brand, the bar will span two levels. The upstairs terrace is meant to remind guests of sunset on the French Riviera, and the downstairs bar will be painted darkly with rich textiles.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/dining/2024/03/22/new-cocktail-bar-coming-soon-to-montrose/

• Like 1

I've heard from a good source on what will become of the vacant Picnic and The Chelsea restaurants that have recently closed.

Mi Luna will replace Picnic. Yes, the old staple in Rice Village.
The group that runs Doris Metropolitan will replace The Chelsea.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ToolMan said:

I've heard from a good source on what will become of the vacant Picnic and The Chelsea restaurants that have recently closed.

I wasn't aware of The Chelsea closing its doors at 888 Westheimer Rd, Suite 119.

The Chelsea's website is still up with no closure announcement or thanking customers for their support. I don't know if such an announcement was posted to the restaurant's social media. However, The Chelsea's Instagram has either been removed or renamed.

I hope you're right about Sof Hospitality (Doris Metropolitan, Hamsa, Bandolina) taking over The Chelsea's former space. If it is, may whatever the group have in store is able to last a few years.

As for Mi Luna, I noticed the formation of a limited liability company for Mi Luna recently. I didn't think much of it. For some reason, I assumed it would be part of Zoa (the owner's Moroccan restaurant.) I'm not sure why. But if the tapas restaurant is relaunching in Montrose Collective, that's good news. 

Originally located near Rice Village at 2441 University Blvd (now home to Frnds), Mi Luna was the spot back in the day.  It was one of my favorite places to go when I was in my late teen and early 20's.

My fingers are crossed that your source is right about Mi Luna taking over Picnik's unit at 888 Westheimer Rd, Suite 126.

9 hours ago, ToolMan said:

I see there is a recent certificate of filing for Okto Mediterranean LLC. It's connected to Sof Hospitality. The group is behind Doris Metorpolitan, Hamsa, and Bandolina restaurants.

Perhaps the filing is related to the rumored Montrose Collective restaurant? Sof Hospitality is said to be taking over The Chelsea's former unit at 888 Westheimer Rd, Suite 119.

p4kEwQq.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 8:07 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

I wasn't aware of The Chelsea closing its doors at 888 Westheimer Rd, Suite 119.

The Chelsea's website is still up with no closure announcement or thanking customers for their support. I don't know if such an announcement was posted to the restaurant's social media. However, The Chelsea's Instagram has either been removed or renamed.

They have been closed for about a month with no big announcements. I was also getting Instagram ads about happy hour when they were closed. I randomly walked by at times wondering if they were doing a remodel or something.

I gave the place a shot and wasn't impressed. I suppose others felt the same.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ToolMan said:

They have been closed for about a month with no big announcements. I was also getting Instagram ads about happy hour when they were closed. I randomly walked by at times wondering if they were doing a remodel or something.

I gave the place a shot and wasn't impressed. I suppose others felt the same.

Oh. Thanks for the additional information and sharing your experience.

5 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Oh. Thanks for the additional information and sharing your experience.

How do restaurants like The Chelsea spend so much in up front costs to build out a restaurant, all for it to ultimately fail within a year? I’ve been to The Chelsea (once) for happy hour and it was clear to me that they wouldn’t last. Ordered oysters and they arrived at the table partially frozen. Yuck.

Posted (edited)

We went to Chelsea and noted the "posh" intentions- if that's the correct word but the food didn't stand up. Those sort of intentions seem to come from Marmo and Graffiti  Raw also but food seems better. I don't mean to lean in the notion of "posh" as synonymous with price point. Just seems like a restaurant with a less serious attitude might be more successful...........imo..... 

Edited by trymahjong

oh dang!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mi Luna!?! we LOVED going there ALL THE TIME back in the day...i loved the food and loved the dancers!!! anytime someone came to town i had to take them there just to show what a cool city i lived it ;) 

PLEASE let Mi Luna make a comeback (with the same menu and entertainment!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2024 at 10:09 PM, ToolMan said:

There is a recent state sales tax permit for Mi Luna. It confirms the restaurant is opening in Montrose Collective. The eatery takes over the unit at 888 Westheimer Rd, Suite 126. The space was previously occupied by Picnik.

Mi Luna is a tapas restaurant and bar from Bella Restaurants Group. It previously operated in the Rice Village area at 2441 University Blvd until shuttering in 2018.

On 4/26/2024 at 10:09 PM, ToolMan said:

2 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

There is a recent state sales tax permit for Mi Luna. It confirms the restaurant is opening in Montrose Collective. The eatery takes over the unit at 888 Westheimer Rd, Suite 126. The space was previously occupied by Picnik.

Mi Luna is a tapas restaurant and bar from Bella Restaurants Group. It previously operated in the Rice Village area at 2441 University Blvd until shuttering in 2018.

Several occupancy permits were purchased last week for 888 Westheimer Rd, Suite 126:

• 1 story occupancy inspection permit
  • Certificate of occupancy permit

Details from the permits:

• Use: NC / 3,197 sf eestaurant/#22021659
  • FCC Group: Non-residential alteration

The listed occupant on the permit is Mi Luna. The tapas restaurant takes over the unit at 888 Westheimer Rd, Suite 126 in Montrose Collective. The space was previously occupied by Picnik.

1 story occupancy inspection permit

RaP95X7.png

Certificate of occupancy permit

8baPdec.png

• Like 1

The John Whitmire thread is locked, so I figured I might as well put this here because he is trying to kill the Collective Library. I'll try not to make this political, but this is BS.

The city already spent millions of dollars preparing to move into a very nice new library, but now he decides on his own to renovate an old dilapidated library at the cost of 14.5 million because the new library is close to a bar that used to host drag shows. 

https://houstonlanding.org/stakeholders-stunned-by-mayors-announcement-that-montrose-library-move-is-off-the-table/
The Montrose Library’s long-planned move to the Montrose Collective on Westheimer Road — to which the city has already dedicated millions of dollars — is officially off the table.
The announcement from Mayor John Whitmire during a Tuesday morning press conference came as a surprise to many, including City Councilmember Abbie Kamin, whose District C includes Montrose; Steve Radom, the developer behind the Montrose Collective; and many library employees.

He said relocating the library to Westheimer would position it “very close to adult entertainment, on the third story of a commercial building, behind the hamburger building. When I saw it, I said, ‘Not on my watch.’”

Edited by ToolMan
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, ToolMan said:

The John Whitmire thread is locked, so I figured I might as well put this here because he is trying to kill the Collective Library. I'll try not to make this political, but this is BS.

The city already spent millions of dollars preparing to move into a very nice new library, but now he decides on his own to renovate an old dilapidated library at the cost of 14.5 million because the new library is close to a bar that used to host drag shows. 

https://houstonlanding.org/stakeholders-stunned-by-mayors-announcement-that-montrose-library-move-is-off-the-table/
The Montrose Library’s long-planned move to the Montrose Collective on Westheimer Road — to which the city has already dedicated millions of dollars — is officially off the table.
The announcement from Mayor John Whitmire during a Tuesday morning press conference came as a surprise to many, including City Councilmember Abbie Kamin, whose District C includes Montrose; Steve Radom, the developer behind the Montrose Collective; and many library employees.

He said relocating the library to Westheimer would position it “very close to adult entertainment, on the third story of a commercial building, behind the hamburger building. When I saw it, I said, ‘Not on my watch.’”

The third story bit is kind of a fair point. The rest is culture wars mumbo jumbo.