1661 Tanglewood: Condominium High-Rise At 1661 Tanglewood Blvd.

Urbannizer

3 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

I wouldn't get too excited. The same firm did Market Square Tower. Won't be nearly as romantic as the render. Also won't be as terrible as anything Randal Davis.

My only push back here is the total project cost is significantly higher and these condos appear to be priced at $3m+.  I would expect the materials and overall design to remain very high-end if these prices stay relatively the same and they're able to secure their pre-sales goal.

• Like 4

On 8/13/2021 at 5:11 AM, Valhalla said:

if this is the beginning of a neo-classical skyscraper renaissance, I'm here for it. 

The capital of on this one with the tall columns for the penthouse, as well as the metal panel above it to hide the HVAC on top looks pretty classy, and the same time not over done.

• Like 1

I live in a 2690 sq. ft. unit at Four Leaf,  a quarter of the floor, which was the standard 3 Br, 3 and 2 1/2 bath unit for the top 18 floors designed 40 years ago.  A 10K sq. ft. unit in this new tower will be a whole floor, the 5K a half, etc. The only reason it will demand fewer public services is that there will be 100 people living there, and if its marketed to those overseas, many apartments will be empty for most of the year. I live alone with a cat, and this apartment is too big for my needs at the moment.  With digital media, there is no need for a library or a wall of shelving to house one's lp collection.  I"m not sure how residents are going to fill up 10K sq. ft. of space, even giving the servants a wing of their own.  In Four Leaf, we have residents who live in Mexico and who spend a few weeks a year here . They own more than one apartment and travel with their servants.  I guess in the new condo, when they ring a bell, the staff will respond more quickly, not having to ride the elevator to attend to the needs of their employers. 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
7 minutes ago, arche_757 said:

I like that!  Going to use it for sure.

Go ahead! Spread it far and wide. I'd rather use this term which is us describing what is actually happening, and not simply seceding territory or narrative to contractors.

• Thanks 1

Go ahead! Spread it far and wide. I'd rather use this term which is us describing what is actually happening, and not simply seceding territory or narrative to contractors.

as one of those contractors, I am calling it: here is the stuff I can actually find in 2022.  So much material right now is backordered, long lead, no longer made, etc. We aren't even really doing VE, its just triage to get the building built.  FWIW, most of us hate VE, its more work for us and we also get blamed when it doesn't go well.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tangledwoods said:

as one of those contractors, I am calling it: here is the stuff I can actually find in 2022.  So much material right now is backordered, long lead, no longer made, etc. We aren't even really doing VE, its just triage to get the building built.  FWIW, most of us hate VE, its more work for us and we also get blamed when it doesn't go well.

Totally get it. For us we need a term which at least gets a dialogue going between both sides, or at least signals to the client to not jump the gun on taking something out of a project.

As far as "here is the stuff I can actually find in 2022" you are right, and I've experienced this on projects I currently work on and describing this process as a "triage" is spot on. Heck I'm familiar with a job where a contractor literally took stuff off of one job just so they could fill a need on another. Its ridiculous. If anyone after hearing what is going on in construction right now thinks the economy is "okay" they I have serious doubt they have the ability to think critically. No reason why a particular gas burning fireplace for an outdoor portion of a clubhouse should take 6-12 months in lead time...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to 1661 Tanglewood: 33-Story Condo High-Rise
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Thanks Paco!

Grew 2 floors. 521'11" will make it the 30th tallest building in the city, just after Pennzoil Place and in front of Devon Energy Tower.

I come up with 32nd tallest (counting Pennzoil as two buildings), just after Pennzoil I and II and in front of Two Allen Center (we haven't had a Devon Energy Tower in Houston for about ten years).

image.png.3156970387c25b37d08ec7101021f477.png

• Like 3

Dominion Post Oak's classical villa penthouse was a far cry from 1661's.  Thanks for the fine update.  Do you think there might be any way to increase the colonnade's height (not necessary to increase the interior ceiling height) by 15' or so, masking more of the black box's vertical faces, so that it doesn't look undignifiedly short underneath the visual mass of the tophat?

7 hours ago, Paco Jones said:

Indoor pool and outdoor terrace deck located at Level 34.  Golf simulator, sauna, fitness center, and billiards room located at Level 33.

Edited by strickn
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, strickn said:

Dominion Post Oak's classical villa penthouse was a far cry from 1661's.  Thanks for the fine update.  Do you think there might be any way to increase the colonnade's height (not necessary to increase the interior ceiling height) by 15' or so, masking more of the black box's vertical faces, so that it doesn't look undignifiedly short underneath the visual mass of the tophat?

That’s a fine idea and something I wouldn’t mind seeing as well. 

I would be willing to bet that the mechanical penthouse, along with the level below, get changed for the better.  This is the first real round of budgeting and design review, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed. 

• Like 5

• The title was changed to 1661 Tanglewood Blvd: 35-Story Condo High-Rise
14 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I come up with 32nd tallest (counting Pennzoil as two buildings), just after Pennzoil I and II and in front of Two Allen Center (we haven't had a Devon Energy Tower in Houston for about ten years).

image.png.3156970387c25b37d08ec7101021f477.png

Ah. Memorial Hermann Tower is only listed as 500ft on SSP. Guess it's not the most reliable source. And you're right about Pennzoil being 2 buildings ;)

• The title was changed to 1661 Tanglewood Blvd: 35-Story Condominium High-Rise
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...