Chase Motor Bank At 212 Milam St.

houstontexasjack

13 hours ago, hindesky said:

I don't see how they would build something substantial on this block when portions of it are directly over the bayou.

It would be interested to see how the parcel is platted and what kind of easement is there for the bayou. I would guess that it would be significantly more expensive to build something substantial there. 

I momentarily thought maybe someone could incorporate a patio or something down by the bank, but he bayou isn't particularly well suited for alfresco/waterside ambiance, to say nothing of hardening your structure/décor for flood resistance. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

It would be interested to see how the parcel is platted and what kind of easement is there for the bayou. I would guess that it would be significantly more expensive to build something substantial there. 

I momentarily thought maybe someone could incorporate a patio or something down by the bank, but he bayou isn't particularly well suited for alfresco/waterside ambiance, to say nothing of hardening your structure/décor for flood resistance. 

buttt.......... wouldn't it be awesome if they did make it a cool little spot? I know flooding yada yada but I just can't stop thinking about how cool it would be if we had that along the bayou

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hindesky said:

I don't see how they would build something substantial on this block when portions of it are directly over the bayou.

You don't need a full block of land to build something tall. Most of our taller skyscrapers are built on less than a full block. The Preston is going up on half a block.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nate99 said:

Have you been to the Dunlavy?

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

How deep has the water gotten on that property during our worst floods?

I would assume fairly deep.  That should change when the white oak bypass is complete but they would need to plan for that contingency either way I would think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nate99 said:

My prediction is that Woodbranch's next project will have a glass-bottom pool projecting over the bayou right above the last high water mark, so when it floods you can swim out and see the hubcaps, tree branches, and water moccasins go right underneath you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hindesky said:

Probably not at the peak of flooding during Harvey. Notice the roof of the drive throughs

aBMZZE7.jpg.

Pretty sure there was water lapping the curbs at the other side of Market Square at one point, so whatever the drop off is across the square, that is probably how much deeper it was.

Considering how deep they dig for the basements on a highrise, adding ten feet or so for the ground floor level really isn't rocket science. I'm not worried.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Avossos said:

buttt.......... wouldn't it be awesome if they did make it a cool little spot? I know flooding yada yada but I just can't stop thinking about how cool it would be if we had that along the bayou

21 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Have you been to the Dunlavy?

I think this is what I originally had in mind, but the banks of the Bayou downtown right there are really fairly steep, I don't know if there would be enough room unless...

18 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

My prediction is that Woodbranch's next project will have a glass-bottom pool projecting over the bayou right above the last high water mark, so when it floods you can swim out and see the hubcaps, tree branches, and water moccasins go right underneath you.

...you did something like that.  It would have a certain "charm" that couldn't be replicated elsewhere. 

9 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Pretty sure there was water lapping the curbs at the other side of Market Square at one point, so whatever the drop off is across the square, that is probably how much deeper it was.

Considering how deep they dig for the basements on a highrise, adding ten feet or so for the ground floor level really isn't rocket science. I'm not worried.

Watching the engineering for something like that come together would be really cool in this spot.  

• The title was changed to 212 Milam: Old Chase Motor Bank Redevelopment
  • 3 weeks later...

Woodbranch put this block back on the market today.  I'm okay with this as I thought I'd heard they were planning to hold this site to keep the unobstructed views from Market Square Tower.  Hopefully it gets scooped up quickly by a developer with big ambitions!

• Like 9

19 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

Woodbranch put this block back on the market today.  I'm okay with this as I thought I'd heard they were planning to hold this site to keep the unobstructed views from Market Square Tower.  Hopefully it gets scooped up quickly by a developer with big ambitions!

Glad that little plan failed. Much of our development community is still stuck in a suburban mentality. 

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to 212 Milam (Block 18): Old Chase Motor Bank Redevelopment
  • The title was changed to Old Chase Motor Bank Redevelopment - 212 Milam St. (Block 18)
  • 3 months later...

Wow, I was just visiting in tourist-mode but found this "modern relic" fascinating, only to discover in this thread it was I.M. Pei. With that clue, I found this thesis, to read later, but skimming even the illustrated history seems fascinating:

https://uh-ir.tdl.org/handle/10657/6930

GHOSTING I. M. PEI:
Obsolescence in Architecture and the City
After the Drive Thru: a Digital Park
2019-2020 Senior Honors Theses Rabitoy, Colette

In 1980 I. M. Pei completed his design of the Chase Tower, a building that has still holds the title as the tallest in Houston. The project was built with funds from the late 70's Oil boom along with a surplus of other banking and office infrastructure. In 1984 Pei designed a drive-through bank as an addition to the Chase Tower, built four blocks away at Milam and Congress Street. The pinwheel one-story structure ignores its potential connection to Buffalo Bayou. Today, online banking as well as real estate pressure on a one-story full block site makes the drive-through obsolete, and the location on the bayou leaves the building vulnerable to flooding. The building is abandoned, and its lot is used for parking and loitering. This project explores obsolescence in architecture and aims to build on I. M. Pei's legacy by reimagining the future use of the drive-through bank and its connection to the sub-grade surrounding landscape.

https://hdl.handle.net/10657/6930

Houston Motor Bank, I.M. Pei, 1984.png

Edited by Rohit Khare
add neon tube light, still working
  • Like 3

And another breadcrumb: https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/three-gentlemen-one-ghost-and-a-skyscraper/

Meanwhile, I. M. Pei’s fertile imagination had recently become distracted by yet another Texas Commerce building. When Love first told Pei that the bank needed a drive-in facility, Pei’s response was “What is that?” It seems that the guru of urban architecture had never seen a drive-in bank. Love patiently explained that all Texas banks have one building for pedestrians and another for motorists, and Pei’s eyes flashed. Refusing the opportunity to look at other drive-in banks, Pei designed his own—an innovative building with circular lanes that concentrate all the automotive customers near the center of the block and feed them out on all four surrounding streets. “This will be the child building,” he said, “to go with our father and mother.”

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Old Chase Motor Bank Redevelopment 212 Milam St.
  • The title was changed to Chase Motor Bank At 212 Milam St.