East End Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Maybe I'm just blind, but I ride by there about 3x a week on my bike, and I haven't seen it.

what corner is it on?

St Emanuel St between Walker and McKinney on the west side of the street in a little shopping center.

It's fabulous, but during the lunch hour don't expect rapid service. You'll wait a good long while after ordering before the food arrives. Seems that they need a couple extra lunchtime kitchen helpers. But soooo delicious.

Maybe I'm just blind, but I ride by there about 3x a week on my bike, and I haven't seen it.

what corner is it on?

This Google driveby was from before it opened, but its right here in front of where the car is. Link The address is 912 St. Emanuel.

It doesn't look like much from the outside, but it has very nice ambience once you're inside, and they clearly put a lot of thought into the food. The kids working behind the counter are friendly and helpful for takeout orders. On the menu there is a little smiley face next to their customers' favorite dishes.

Here's some snapshots of the menu: http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/menu/1416754?p=0

I heard there's a new poboy place on Jefferson but I can't picture where exactly.....supposedly (friend of a friend) way better than BBs. Anyone know?

CALLIOPE'S!!!! It's very good! Kind of a Timmy Chan's take on the New Orleans PoBoy.

Here's the Houston Press article...

http://www.houstonpress.com/2009-04-23/res...-and-fried-rice

Edited by totheskies

This Google driveby was from before it opened, but its right here in front of where the car is. Link The address is 912 St. Emanuel.

It doesn't look like much from the outside, but it has very nice ambience once you're inside, and they clearly put a lot of thought into the food. The kids working behind the counter are friendly and helpful for takeout orders. On the menu there is a little smiley face next to their customers' favorite dishes.

Here's some snapshots of the menu: http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/menu/1416754?p=0

Thanks!

I rode by there yesterday and saw it, no wonder I missed it, it really is easy to not see.

I didn't see a bike rack though, I guess I'll have to go there in my car first, and recommend a bike rack..

• Like 1

I don't think anyone mentioned Taquerias Arandas on 45. I know it's a chain but at least it's a local chain. (I think) I had lunch there yesterday and it was quite good. It beats the socks off Taco Cabana!! Can anyone tell me of a mom N pop place around there with equal quality and service to Arnadas? I really like to support the local places but haven't had great luck with finding good food. I tried Pollos Asados La Silla on Canal but the mole kinda made me wanna barf. I do like Brothers Tacos on Dowling. The frijoles a la charra are so freakin' good!

We went to Calliopes today and it was damn tasty. Po'boys were good. good bread. Roast beef and gravy were definitely homemade. Also, if you like fried rice: my BF said theirs is 'almost' as good as at the old Chicken and Egg Roll. Which is saying a lot.

And they do say it like the street in NOLA and not the standard pronunciation. "cal ee opes" with the emphasis on opes.

OH my DOG. I had dinner at Caliopes tonight and it was great. Pronunciation?? cal I O pees?? Or cal E O pees? cal E OPs doesn't sound right, but I'm not a cajun or familiar with the dialect. Same with Chartres. Is it CHAR ters, or CHART res? I say CHAR ters. In New Orleans they say bur GUN dee. I read it as BUR gun dee. Like the wine. There are many more examples in town of streets, and places with different pronunciations...San fe LEE pe or San FILL a pee?? I know what is correct but why is there a discrepancy? I blame Marvin Zindler, dog rest his soul.

Edited by frheard

My husband and I are vegan so finding good food on the East End is really hard. :-) So far I know that 888 has a veggie menu that is really good, and bohemeos has veggie burgers and portabello burgers. :-)

Just in case you need to entertain a vegetarian friend.

For vegetarians, how about checking out the organic farm operating in the East End? They probably have some good recipes, and they'll sell you produce or let you work for some.

:lol: So, if someone tells you they like a nice dry-aged porterhouse, do you suggest they go check out a ranch so they can buy a cow, or shovel hay for a few steaks?

:lol: So, if someone tells you they like a nice dry-aged porterhouse, do you suggest they go check out a ranch so they can buy a cow, or shovel hay for a few steaks?

Well that depends on if there is a steakhouse in the specific area that they are asking about. I can't think of a single vegetarian restaurant in all of East End, so I provided an alternate suggestion.

Anyway, here's the Last Organic Outpost: http://www.lastorganicoutpost.com/locations.html

Edited by kylejack

My husband and I are vegan so finding good food on the East End is really hard. :-) So far I know that 888 has a veggie menu that is really good, and bohemeos has veggie burgers and portabello burgers. :-)

Just in case you need to entertain a vegetarian friend.

Cafe Flores, Kanomawan, and Kim Son all have veggie options. And I think that both Mama Ninfa's and District 7 Grill offer veggie menu items. The salad bar at Bonnie's Steakhouse is a very good as well, and they've probably got something on the menu that'd pass muster.

What's the cost of a po boy at Caliope's? I may make the trek downtown for lunch if it's not too expensive.

to be honest i don't remember. they do have various sizes though. i know i didn't get the small one but think i got the next size up and it was enough for two people. maybe crunch would remember.

to be honest i don't remember. they do have various sizes though. i know i didn't get the small one but think i got the next size up and it was enough for two people. maybe crunch would remember.

depends on what you get. Crab, oyster and crawfish is higher than shrimp and roast beef. I had a regular (second size up) shrimp and I think it was around $9. Does not include fries. Even then I couldn't finish it.

Cafe Flores, Kanomawan, and Kim Son all have veggie options. And I think that both Mama Ninfa's and District 7 Grill offer veggie menu items. The salad bar at Bonnie's Steakhouse is a very good as well, and they've probably got something on the menu that'd pass muster.

Hey thanks :-) I read something online about the proprietor of Kanomawan being very rude to someone who asked for a vegetarian option. Maybe I'll gather the courage to check it out. I ADORE thai food. :-)

depends on what you get. Crab, oyster and crawfish is higher than shrimp and roast beef. I had a regular (second size up) shrimp and I think it was around $9. Does not include fries. Even then I couldn't finish it.

Funny all these posts about Calliope's...I drove past there a couple of times and kept meaning to go eat there...but kept forgetting! So wednesday I made a point to pull over in front of the place, and write myself a reminder to stick on my desk to go eat there soon.

I just hope the location doesn't kill their business...seems like one of those places you just find by accident...and probably never find if you just work downtown and would never turn down that street...or take a second look at that old strip center.

I'm looking forward to checking it out...it seems we eat Vietnamese food 3 out of 4 times that we go out with all of the great places in the area...and shrimp or roast beef on french bread will be a nice change of pace from chargrilled pork and pate! :lol:

Try Hyunh's a new (5-month-old) Vietnamese restaurant in the corner of St. Emmanuel and Walker. It's a family-owned place, with good food and great prices (I think the most expensive thing on the menu is the Duck salad for $9.00! ) They also have some special stuff for breakfast on Saturdays. They have very good Vietnamese coffee (tastes chocolatish) Unimpressed by the desserts though.

There's a mall across the street On St. Emmanuel that has an Asian supermarket. Has anyone tried the Vietnamese restaurant inside that mall?

We walked over to Hyunh's last Saturday for lunch, and finally tried it. Food was not bad. Service was VERY excellent...more like a big restaurant than a mom-n-pop place. They kept our ice tea glasses filled, which is a big plus for me when eating Vietnamese food...since I'm usually burning myself up with peppers and hot sauce. :lol: Prices seemed a little more than the smaller Vietnamese places, but I guess paying for more of a "restaurant" style atmosphere was understandable.

We didn't try the desserts....my girlfriend wanted a dessert from Thiem Hung's afterwards. Thiem Hung is going through some changes...same people, but I think ownership has gone to the younger kids there, Minh & Kim...SUPER nice couple! I could eat there every day if I had the time and money...I LOVE that place! Cheap, too!!

Oddly enough, I still haven't tried the Vietnamese restaurant inside the mall....I'm always late getting out for lunch, and feel weird about eating in there when I'm the only customer in the entire building. I usually just go into the market and buy beer. There's also a food stand inside the market, which I intend to try. There's a sign on the store's beer coolers that says,"please pay for beer before drinking"....so I guess I'll buy some beer...buy some food from the stand, and hang out with the old guys always lounging about at the tables next to the beer coolers while I eat. :D