Also noticed in the newspaper article they added he had a female companion with him at the time of the incident and the timeline changed. Not that there is anything wrong with that but more stuff keeps coming out about the incident which just shows you can't really believe anything you read.

I haven't been in that area for a few years. I did not realize there were upscale homes there now.

Here we go again another unknown originator of topic vanishes after they post these flaky stories.

Wow, you and frheard should form a club for easily offended touchy East enders. I replied in post 5, so I did not vanish.

Article reads:The incident happened in the 2900 block of Leeland, a short distance southeast of downtown, at about 2:30 a.m., Houston police said.

Anyone stupid enough to be in that area of town that LATE at night, well, that tells all. :wacko:

Like sevfiv said, that is a block away from where Landry lives (where there are a bunch of HHN townhomes). I guess anyone who buys around there is stupid since they are in that area all the time. Who's really giving this area the bad stereotype now?

Name drop a few well known names and that makes the area upscale, that alone is a riot. Everyone that is reading this, I urge you to take a drive around Dowling to where this event occurred when sun is going down, then cruise around until around midnight. How many brave souls are walking around? How many freaks creep up from nowwhere?

I just dont believe in sugar coating & its too bad developers dont like my honest assesments but that's life like the song goes. Back to topic though. Any idiot that is scoring or trying do a to pick up gets what they deserve at that insane hour. I bet HPD says the very same thing. Now students, shall we turn the page now... :)

Name drop a few well known names and that makes the area upscale, that alone is a riot. Everyone that is reading this, I urge you to take a drive around Dowling to where this event occurred when sun is going down, then cruise around until around midnight. How many brave souls are walking around? How many freaks creep up from nowwhere?

I just dont believe in sugar coating & its too bad developers dont like my honest assesments but that's life like the song goes. Back to topic though. Any idiot that is scoring or trying do a to pick up gets what they deserve at that insane hour. I bet HPD says the very same thing. Now students, shall we turn the page now... :)

So what is your point? That he was there "trying to do a pickup". A man can't drive around in his own neighborhood? Do you have any facts to back up your assertion or are you just being a gossipy old lady? Also, how do you know so much about what this area is like late at night? Cruising around "trying to do a pick up"?

Edited by west20th
  • Like 1

Look, he could have had a number of reasons for being out at that time;

They could be coming home at the time because;

He picked her up from home to have some fun.

Picked up at a bar.

Was a date with from a night out.

Went to a place to get something to eat.

OR

Since he had a game that night, he might have been with other players cooling down and some after game drinks.

Additionally, there are reasons for people to be out at those hours. Some of those that are shift workers or people woth bad cases of insomnia, like myself.

Hell, I do my grocery shopping at 3am!

The only thing that he is guilty of is general stupidity for not recognizing what was going on and getting the hell out of there.

So what is your point? That he was there "trying to do a pickup". A man can't drive around in his own neighborhood? Do you have any facts to back up your assertion or are you just being a gossipy old lady? Also, how do you know so much about what this area is like late at night? Cruising around "trying to do a pick up"?

Vertigo is sticking it to the man! Developers don't like it, but he won't sugar coat it! You go, Vertigo!

Not sure if you meant Landry or HHN for name dropping a few well known names, but no one said this area is upscale or insinuated that HHN makes this area upscale. HHN was one of the first builders in the East End when it was really sketchy and in the very beginning of the gentrifying stages.

It is just ironic how you blame this story for stereotyping this area, but yet you call the people in this area stupid. What adds even more to the irony is your stereotype of what someone would be doing in this area at 2:30.

It's actually been reported that Landry was getting fast food at the time. The game that night was in New Orleans and their plane didn't land in Houston until 12:30 AM. Add the time it takes to get your bags, say bye to your teammates, and drive home, I'm guessing he got home around 1:30. I'm sure he was hungry after a game (which he worked his butt off in) and flight home. Maybe he didn't have anything at home or didn't feel like cooking, so being out at 2:30 makes sense. The only thing he was scoring was food..

I was walking around near Dowling just about an hour ago, toting an expensive camera and probing dark, narrow alleyways. Nothing happened. Does that make me a brave soul or a freak?

There was a woman shot/killed and had her new caddy stolen not too long ago, it was daytime. And shock and horror, it was in Pearland as she was leaving work.

Guess we can't live there either.

Not to be too morbid about the situation, but as it goes, I'd rather live where a thief is bad enough where he tries to kill someone for their car, but fails on both accounts, not to mention where he isn't confident enough to try in the middle of the day, even if he injured the owner and then banged up the car. That is a much better outcome than death.

Anyway, as others have said, it can and does happen anywhere.

I was walking around near Dowling just about an hour ago, toting an expensive camera and probing dark, narrow alleyways. Nothing happened. Does that make me a brave soul or a freak?

Just a freak. Go back there at 2 in the morning then I might consider calling you brave.

I should have responded earlier, but I'm just now getting over the Green Beer Hangover.

Yes, I was defensive because around the same time I read lcc179s comment, two TV crews were down the corner covering this "story". I figured with what lcc179 said and what I'm sure the tv folks were gonna say, this was going to get blown out of proprtion and would negatively impact the neighborhood. I'm over it now. I personally have very little reason to be out at 2:30am (I'm boring) so I guess I cannot speak of what shenanigans may or may not be happening, but my experience here has been pretty much all good. Ma-ha-lo!

• 4 weeks later...

What a crappy night.

4 hours ago, we had the potential for #2 in the west...

One shellacking by Dallas later, along with a a Michael Finley 3 ptr at the buzzer to send the Spurs game into OT, which they then won.. and we're now sitting at #4

A Portland win tonight will be the icing on the cake.... @#$@^$@#%@#$

So much for the Conf. Finals.... Looks like we'e gonna face LA in the 2nd round now.

Why is it so hard to be a Rox fan? We had a #2 or #3 seed in our hands, then we CHOKE and end up #5 and playing on the road. Now, even if (and that's a big IF) we can win our first playoff series in 10+years, we'll still get annihilated by the Lakers in round 2. We should have won last night which would have allowed us to avoid the Lakers in round 2, but no... we had to CHOKE.

This team could use about 20 more regular season games to prepare for the playoffs. This group hasn't had enough time together yet. I just want a first round win, is that too much to ask?

did anyone else notice that when the nuggets were playin the blazers that kenyon martin was laughing even when they were down by 30?

the dude didnt care neither did the nuggets care to try and win, they had the 2 seed locked up, why try?

eff the nuggets man, thats cheap. you play 82 games not 81 games. that really pissed me off

he wouldnt even gaurd his man, he walked around on the court lettin 3 point bombs rain on them. just sickening

i dont think anyone can front yao on the blazers

joel przybilla doesnt have enough strength to cover yao and yao has the ball on przybilla yao can bully his way to the basket

greg oden is a bigger guy than przybilla but oden doesnt have nearly enough experience to be a head to head competitor against yao. also oden makes sloppy fouls that get him into trouble. it isnt very effective yet, when playing a bigger player

Artest doesn't hog the ball

It was a great game, it was fun to watch.

But Ron was still taking some crazy shots.

And why are the Rox so bad year after year at defending the pick and roll? In closer games, I'm a little worried Roy is going to burn us.

Yao doesn't miss a shot,

Brooks plays like a premier point guard,

Artest doesn't hog the ball,

Battier is named captain of the 'All-Rambis' team,

Mutombo wags his finger after a block,

And Brent Barry dunks one like the old days.

SWEET!!! :D

I'm on board too, but I am nervous about how we play when everything doesn't go just right. We couldn't have played better than game 1 so be prepared for a closer game tonight.

I'm on board too, but I am nervous about how we play when everything doesn't go just right. We couldn't have played better than game 1 so be prepared for a closer game tonight.

I believe we play tomorrow night, Tuesday night. Mavs/Spurs play tonight as well as Bulls/ Celts

those refs were absolutely a disgrace to the game. calling fouls where our players never even touch the blazers, yet, still a foul!

come on refs, you cant make a foul call under the basket from 25 feet away? or can you?

please... game 3 is goin to the rockets. no doubt about that. the fans wont let the rockets lose. not this year in the first round

My email to the Rockets organization ;)

To Mr. Les Alexander and Daryl Morey,

I'm writing concering the comments Tracy McGrady made on the Atlanta radio station when without hesitation, he honestly yet unloyally chose the Los Angeles Lakers as his pick for the NBA championship winner. This goes further than professionalism or concern of who writes his checks. This is about relationship and trust; relationship to and trust from his teammates. It will no longer exist and if it does, it will be a bad one. Tracy's comments were out of line and a slap in the face his teammates, the organization and us the fans. If we the fans cannot support him because of this, how can his own teammates whom he supposidly battles with on the court?

I have always been a McGrady fan, supporter and defender in the past...but this has gone too far and he's now crossed the line. He has become a non-supporter of the Houston Rockets. This shows his heart and loyalty are not with the Rockets.

If my voice counts even a smidgen, as a life long fan of the rockets, I would not like to see Tracy McGrady in a Rockets uniform next year. The Houston Rockets are about "the heart of a champion." It's about believing in yourself and your teammates when nobody else does. It's easy to see that Tracy spoke with his heart on this matter and he does not believe in his teammates.

I trust you will make the best decision for your business and the team. In my mind, the best decision would be to continue without Mr. McGrady.

Thank you for all your efforts in bringing a world class organization and team to the great city of Houston, I have thorougly enjoyed your product this year.

Best Regards,

And while on the subject, a little bow of the head for Dikembe Motumbo. An old-school big man that didn't get a lot of play as he got older, but a class act and talent to the game all the way around.

You're right. Deke is such a fan favorite for many reasons and many of them the right reasons. Even though we sort of adopted him in the twilight of his career, he made a huge impact and it's crazy how we've fallen for him so much. He's a great person/player/teammate.

He will be missed. I put him in the category of others like Cassell, Horry, Maxwell, Elie. Not huge name players (well, he was at one point) but still had big impacts and had a place in the hearts of Rocket fans.

He will be missed. I put him in the category of others like Cassell, Horry, Maxwell, Elie. Not huge name players (well, he was at one point) but still had big impacts and had a place in the hearts of Rocket fans.

but wouldn't you say that being the second all time blocked shot leader in NBA history is a big impact?

also i feel the NBA ought to name an award in his honor someday. there really hasn't been anyone quite like Deke who has given up so much for the people of his country. the size of his heart surpasses that of a champion.