Do y'all think Yao would've been injured if Deke hasn't had his career-ending injury early in the playoffs? He could've taken some of Yao's minutes and maybe mitigated his risk of injury.

I dont know, thats a good question. It definitely should have helped. but i think it is the fault of the rockets for knowing how frail yao's feet are and having a 42 yr old back up just in case something happens to yao. you know?

we should have had a younger center as a back up as well.

we'd be unstoppable if we had the twin towers effect (robinson/duncan or olajuwon/sampson)

who knows. one can dream again

I dont know, thats a good question. It definitely should have helped. but i think it is the fault of the rockets for knowing how frail yao's feet are and having a 42 yr old back up just in case something happens to yao. you know?

we should have had a younger center as a back up as well.

we'd be unstoppable if we had the twin towers effect (robinson/duncan or olajuwon/sampson)

who knows. one can dream again

Keep in mind that the Rockets have NO picks in the 2009 NBA draft....and luxury tax issues.

Keep in mind that the Rockets have NO picks in the 2009 NBA draft....and luxury tax issues.

I say the Rockets should go ahead and pay the luxury tax. Les has made so much money, one year of paying this isn't gonna kill the team. I think we need to resign Artest for sure. Why anyone would question this is absurd unless he wanted the bank!

Also, we need another center, not just a backup center, but a very good one, even one that is a starter. Maybe have Yao come off the bench. If we can get Emeka Okafor, that would be great. Give up Landry and Lowry or even Brooks for him if we can. Yao's contract is up after 2 more seasons i believe. Rockets shouldn't give him the max since he is injury prone. Playing for the Chinese National team is killing his career. Maybe the Rockets can provide some $$ to the Chinese Basketball Assoc to release Yao?

After next season, T-Mac is off the Rocket's payroll, so they can go after DWade who is a free agent like Lebron. We can afford to pay DWade 20 mil/yr. The question is if he will want to come here.

This might sound a bit too optimistic, but if T-Mac's knee makes great progess and he becomes the T-Mac of old, he can help us win that championship in 2nd half of season. He is expected to return around January.

Edited by sifuwong

I say the Rockets should go ahead and pay the luxury tax. Les has made so much money, one year of paying this isn't gonna kill the team. I think we need to resign Artest for sure. Why anyone would question this is absurd unless he wanted the bank!

Also, we need another center, not just a backup center, but a very good one, even one that is a starter. Maybe have Yao come off the bench. If we can get Emeka Okafor, that would be great. Give up Landry and Lowry or even Brooks for him if we can. Yao's contract is up after 2 more seasons i believe. Rockets shouldn't give him the max since he is injury prone. Playing for the Chinese National team is killing his career. Maybe the Rockets can provide some $$ to the Chinese Basketball Assoc to release Yao?

After next season, T-Mac is off the Rocket's payroll, so they can go after DWade who is a free agent like Lebron. We can afford to pay DWade 20 mil/yr. The question is if he will want to come here.

This might sound a bit too optimistic, but if T-Mac's knee makes great progess and he becomes the T-Mac of old, he can help us win that championship in 2nd half of season. He is expected to return around January.

I disagree on many fronts. For one, I don't suggest trading our young guys who were handpicked by Morey and are growing into their roles very well. If you have been watching our guys for several years, you know that our problem has always been the bench. Well, we finally have a bench, let's not trade them away. Secondly, Yao will never be a back up. Limit his minutes, sure, but he's not a spark plug that needs to come off the bench. I say we go after a free agent or package some "ride the pine" guys for a trade. I can't think of any besides Brent Barry though. Or Tmac.

I think you keep this team intact and give them more than 30-40 games starting together and we'll improve organically. Not sure what to do with TMac. If he can ever come back healthy he might help, but his attitude and injury issues make me not want to deal with him ever again. You don't pick another team to get to the finals as long as your team is still in the playoffs. Also, where has he been? He should be traveling with the team and sitting there at the end of the bench every game just like Yao and Deke.

i agree, look how we have done without T-mac.what was our biggest downfall this post season?

not a big man to put in once yao was out for the rest of the season. the rox looked good, just need to free salary for another big man in the middle to help yao share the load. i say hit the road t-mac

I think it is worth giving up Landry and Lowry for Emeka Okafor, who is also a young player. Emeka can play forward and center. Very versatile player who is a shot blocker and has a 10-12 ft jumper to go along with it. He won't just be a backup to give Yao some rest, but also do damage to the opposing team. He can be Yao's backup for sure and a Houston boy . I still think we need a bigger pt. guard. I can't see us having both Lowry and Brooks. One of them is going to be gone by next season.

Edited by sifuwong

• 4 weeks later...

Not suprising for LA.

ps. On the bright side, isn't it great our Rockets were the only team to take LA to seven games? If Brooks would just grow 4 or 5 inches during the off season than we will be set for next year.

Edited by LunaticFringe

• 2 weeks later...

If yall want that Dwight Howards backup to sign with Houston, do as the rockets website says and email him to show you want him:

What's more, Morey is asking fans to aid in the recruitment process by sending Gortat a note at rocketsfanslovegortat@gmail.com to show how much they want him in a Rockets' uniform next season.

I think it's time we start the official thread for the new season as the draft has ended and the free agent signing period has begun. I know there are a lot of tough questions for Morey right now, but I'm sure he'll come through with another great group of guys to add to our favorite NBA team that pushed the Lakers to 7 games.

Personally, I'd love to see Chris Bosh in a Rockets uni, but I'd be afraid to see what we'd have to give up to make it happen. I really like our bench and role players, and that hasn't been true in many years.

It appears Artest isn't coming back, which I don't find surprising or upsetting. He brought a tough attitude and intensity but he was too much of an offensive liability. He played like TMAC without the offensive abilities.

It appears Artest isn't coming back, which I don't find surprising or upsetting. He brought a tough attitude and intensity but he was too much of an offensive liability. He played like TMAC without the offensive abilities.

even his tweet last night said thanks to Houston, that it was fun.

even his tweet last night said thanks to Houston, that it was fun.

That "tweet" wasn't from his account, it was an imposter account. His account username is "96TruwarierQB" if you want to follow him (of course you can't believe everything he says here either). There are no signs that he wants to leave Houston at this point, actually he's said the opposite. However, it will be difficult to sign him as he wants a lot of money and longer than a year contract. The Rockets hope to sign him to one year.

Edited by ProHouston

That "tweet" wasn't from his account, it was an imposter account. His account username is "96TruwarierQB" if you want to follow him (of course you can't believe everything he says here either). There are no signs that he wants to leave Houston at this point, actually he's said the opposite. However, it will be difficult to sign him as he wants a lot of money and longer than a year contract. The Rockets hope to sign him to one year.

i did a quick google news search and i saw a few places that said he might not be returning.

Also, that twitter account i referenced had a logo at the top that said it was a "Verified Account." The tweets didn't sound like Ron Ron, but the logo sucked me in. That and Daryl Morey was following him, so I figured it was legit.

Edited by lockmat

i did a quick google news search and i saw a few places that said he might not be returning.

Also, that twitter account i referenced had a logo at the top that said it was a "Verified Account." The tweets didn't sound like Ron Ron, but the logo sucked me in. That and Daryl Morey was following him, so I figured it was legit.

This gets more interesting, I did a google search and I believe the account I mentioned is the real account though his agent came out saying that it's a fake. I think Ron was messing around and really tweeted that he was leaving and now his agent is covering up. I got the account name I referenced from the Rockets Twitter feed so I'm pretty confident it's real.

...and we're getting Ariza

Sadly that's not a fair trade. I think this move will hurt us the most. Artest was the reason we made it to the second round this year. We've been needing his toughness and swagger for a long time, now it's gone. I'm sad to say that without Yao for 1/2 the season, without Gortat (looks like Mavs), and no Artest, we're gonna hurt.

Sadly that's not a fair trade. I think this move will hurt us the most. Artest was the reason we made it to the second round this year. We've been needing his toughness and swagger for a long time, now it's gone. I'm sad to say that without Yao for 1/2 the season, without Gortat (looks like Mavs), and no Artest, we're gonna hurt.

its definitely not a fair trade. we got the short end of the stick on this one.

i guess with artest leaving that tells us that the rockets have faith that mcgrady will do good this next season if healthy. it wasnt a mystery that ron and tracy didnt like playing with each other. i cant see any other reason to get rid of ron besides that.

i just hope its the right move. losing rons tough intensity, mentality and defense is surely going to make next season more difficult for the roxs.

and going to make the lakers that much more difficult to play

• 3 weeks later...

Rockets made a good deal for Ariza. He is younger and has more upside. Also, i'm pretty sure T-Mac will be back playing before the end of this year. Also, i'm not 100% convince Yao won't return this season. I think if the surgery goes well and if the foot starts healing like it should, he will be back in April of 2010. I wouldn't be surprised to hear news in a few months that "Yao's healing foot has progressed nicely in which his return to the team might be possible this season".

• 2 weeks later...

Von Wafer has signed a 2yr deal with Olympiacos of Greece. I'm sure this is a result of not seeing eye-to-eye with Rockets management. However, I really wish there wasn't a falling out as we could really use his services this year with all our injuries.