Rone Residences: Multifamily At 2311 Westheimer Rd.

Dakota79

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IMO, I think an apartment building in that site would make more sense. There's already 2 HEBs within 1.5/1.1 miles each, a Target within 1 mile, a Trader Joes 0.6 miles, a Kroger 1.6 miles, and a Whole Foods right across the street. Not to mention, an apartment building will do more with streetscape than another grocery store.  

• Like 8

@Amlaham The early renderings, although they were not set in stone, did show it as a mixed-use development - similar to the HEB on Washington Ave. I believe Midway was behind the development and I do wonder if the recent Midway and Parkway merger has anything to do with the change. 

10 minutes ago, Justin Welling said:

@Amlaham The early renderings, although they were not set in stone, did show it as a mixed-use development - similar to the HEB on Washington Ave. I believe Midway was behind the development and I do wonder if the recent Midway and Parkway merger has anything to do with the change. 

Yeah I've seen the posts, the Washington HEB is a nice mix-use. However, an apartment building will post likely create a better pedestrian realm, for example that HEB put the parking up to the curb and basically didn't create any pedestrian realm except make the sidewalks a little larger. That HEB only has 3 points of entry for a pedestrian, 2 of which are right along the car entrances, the rest is just bushes/ parked cars blocking pedestrians from getting to the sidewalks. I'm a little anal when it comes to this topic only because I feel like we're doing the bare minimum at improving walkability IMO

Edited by Amlaham

On 9/18/2023 at 2:39 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

How can you be in favor of one and not the other? They literally go hand in hand .

It's not that I'm not in favor of if. It's more like it's not high on my wishlist. I like the density in terms of pooling resources closer together. I feel that at a certain point the walkable dynamic will fall in line naturally.

I think that once a critical density benchmark is reached the market will demand better sidewalks, more ground floor -pedestrian engagement, slower traffic etc.

My point is I prefer to develop a descent stable of horse before I start buying carts. 

I know some are going ask why can't we get both? If we can great, but If we can get the density now and the walkable realms later then I'm fine with that too. With the summer we just had walking has been the last thing I want to do.

19 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

It's not that I'm not in favor of if. It's more like it's not high on my wishlist. I like the density in terms of pooling resources closer together. I feel that at a certain point the walkable dynamic will fall in line naturally.

I think that once a critical density benchmark is reached the market will demand better sidewalks, more ground floor -pedestrian engagement, slower traffic etc.

My point is I prefer to develop a descent stable of horse before I start buying carts. 

I know some are going ask why can't we get both? If we can great, but If we can get the density now and the walkable realms later then I'm fine with that too. With the summer we just had walking has been the last thing I want to do.

I understand the thinking, and at one point I probably would have thought the same thing. But I've spent a lot of time without a car in Gulfton, Uptown, and Greenway, and I can promise you - density is only one piece of the puzzle, and without intentional pedestrian- and bicycle-oriented planning, things can stay bad or even get worse.

• Like 1